Nassau - what to see and do

- If it is just adults, hire a moped and go around the island. This was so great. When you get away from the port you really do get to know the real Nassau.

this sounds like an exciting thing to do! have you done it before, if so where do you hire them from? do you need a special driving licence? any essential info i need to know about possibly doing this?

Going to Atlantis is really nice or taking a tour of Nassau is fun or you could swim with the dolphins or some enjoy shopping for values.

There are lot's of fun things to do in Nassau or you could just stay on the ship and kick back. :cool2:

We really enjoyed the Pirate Museum!

And, I also like the historical tour of Nassau.

this sounds like an exciting thing to do! have you done it before, if so where do you hire them from? do you need a special driving licence? any essential info i need to know about possibly doing this?

You can get the moped (is that the correct spelling?) at the port. They are fairly cheap. Just be warned, not all the roads are great and your insurance will not cover you! Just like the everything in the Bahamas agree everything before you rent (fuel charges, times, return fees etc)!

I went with 3 other friends, on two mopeds. It took about 3 hours to go around the island, but we did stop off quite a bit. I also know of someone who purchased a 'star map' of nassau somewhere, and went and visited all the famous peoples homes.

do you know roughly what the cost of hiring a moped is? is it safe?

Is it possible to do more than one excursion in a day? For example, we will be cruising with the in-laws and they will not want to snorkel, swim, or walk too long of distances due to some health issues. I was looking at the excursion list and the glass bottomboat tour looks like something that we could all do. However,my DD would REALLY like to do the Dolphin Encounter. Is it possible for us all to do the boat together and then the in-laws can head back to the ship and DH, DD and myself still have time to do the Dolphins? Or the other way around? Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks!

Does anyone else know anything about the times on these and whether we could fit the two of them in one day?

I was just there on Tuesday and if you don't go to Atlantis or some other resort beach, I would stay on the ship!!!! Nassau was terrible and the public beach had so much glass and garbage that we would not let our kids take off their shoes. We got off around 9 and were back on deck 9 by lunch time and the kids enjoyed the pool and we enjoyed our nap by the pool.

Can anyone recommend the Adarastra (sp??) Garden/Zoo? I love tropical birds and that seems to be a main focus there. I'm not sure if I should do an excursion or just do it on my own? The excursion has you there for only an hour and there may be more to see than that? Or is 1 hour plenty?

I can't remember the cost (we got a freebie). Is it safe? I guess it is only as safe as you are a driver! We survived, and I have never heard of any major injuries... but... you never know!

I think so. The dolphins were near the ship . . . we spent the day at the beach. We came back and I swam with dolphins while hubby took a nap. Keep in mind though, the ship is nowhere near the hub of activity. The water taxi takes a bit of time.
OMG . . . I have my cruised mixed up. Sorry, I was thinking of Bermuda!

We really enjoyed the Pirate Museum!

And, I also like the historical tour of Nassau.

How far away from the ship is the Piratae Museum? What was the cost? This is one of the only reasons we are considering leaving the ship. I don't think I'll be able to do the Historical Tour since I will probably need a wheelchair still. Annmarie

How far away from the ship is the Piratae Museum? What was the cost? This is one of the only reasons we are considering leaving the ship. I don't think I'll be able to do the Historical Tour since I will probably need a wheelchair still. Annmarie

http://www.pirates-of-nassau.com/

You can find lots of info on their site. It's a few blocks away from the port in Nassau. We thought it was a really cool museum! pirate:

Would it be easy to do the Pirate Museum and then walk or get a cab to the British Colonial Hilton? It might be fun to do both. We're a kind of get-out-on-our-own group. Also, any good local places to eat that are near either of those places?

Thanks!

Wondering where the best place is to go for souvenirs, t-shirts, that kind of thing? I've read some of the cautions about the straw market . . . any place else nearby that has some nice things to check out? TIA!

I know I've read it before, but I've forgotten since then. Maybe since we'll be in Nassau a week from tomorrow I can remember this time. How do I get to Hard Rock/Harley Davidson from the ship? I think they're pretty much right accross from eachother and within a block of port, but I just can't remember.

TIA

Tim

I'm attempting to resurrect this thread to get ideas for our March cruise.

I thought the stingray thing looked cool and love the idea of renting the jet ski's to have some fun on.

Does anyone know the cost of this? Where can I get a list of all of the excursions and costs?

Thanks guys!

We'll be going on our first cruise this March and we have booked the Dolphin excursion at Atlantis but we have some free time before and I was wondering if there are good shops other than the straw market around and also will those places accept American Dollars? Thanks for the help!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter