My wedding gown shopping experience! Got my gown!

Hi girls, I am so excited I got my dress today!! I went to try it on and was just in love with it! I can't imagine a better dress, and it needs no alterations since it is a petite length and Im short! They also had the right size in stock so I got a nice discount! I am so happy and just couldnt pass it up! I am not sure if I need a crinnie, I dont think so but what do you all think? I'll post some photos so you can see, but they are a little dark though and the dress needs to be steamed badly! I am also wondering about how best to store it, since it is about 2 years until my wedding and I want to make sure there is no discoloration or anything like that during that time. It was previously professional dry cleaned and preserved in a box, and I am not sure if I need to get it preserved again (it was in a sealed box) or just put back in the box or what. I am going to do some research about that, but if anyone has any experience with this type of thing I'd appreaciate your advice. Thanks!! :goodvibes
Marissa

P.S. Took off the pics just in case my fiance shoule see this

Beautiful dress! :lovestruc And as for the crinny... hmm... I think the front needs a little bit of poofing, compared to the back at least. It looks like it falls in a bit toward the bottom. But then, that could be because it does need a steaming. I would try a crinny and see. No harm in trying! :goodvibes

Congrats! The dress is gorgeous on you and for that price and to have it be perfect, how could you pass it up! Okay, well on the storing it, I would maybe call up a bridal shop and ask them, but when I worked at David's Bridal we used to tell brides to wrap it in a white sheet and keep it in the garment bag. Since yours was already cleaned and preserved, you might be able to keep it in that box.

As for the crinnie, I would definitely recommend it. It will just give the dress a better shape and while you're walking it won't get caught in your legs or if there's a breeze or something. You don't need a huge one if you don't want, but I would recommend at least an A-line one. If you want the bottom to be very full you would use a ballgown one.

Right, firstly, I'm sure you are a really nice person but I don't think I like you. Not sure I can like anyone who looks as stunning as you in every dress you tried on :rotfl2:

I am biased towards Maggie Sot dresses as I have the Capri Royale. Saw it on the internet, found it in a local stockist and bought it. I didn't try any others on as I knew that was My dress. 18 months on I still absolutely love it.

That was a brilliant price for your dress! I haggled really hard with the bridal shop and paid in £'s more than what you paid in $.

Re the crinnie - it makes a huge difference to the fall of the skirt when you put one underneath it. I couldn't believe the difference with mine. I am going for a really full one, but it doesn't make the dress stick out as much as you would think.

The skirt is quite heavy with all the material and the fuller crinnie just gives it more shape rather than making you look like a toilet roll doll.

I also think that you should treat everyone and wear it instead of your pageant dress. That dress is lovely but with the Maggie dress everyone should see it!

I have had my dress in an acid-free storage box for over a year and it is still pristine so may be worth getting one of those for yours.

I don't want to be a party pooper, but this dress looks a bit too small for you on top. In the back you can see where it "folds" your skin over your spine and in the front you get a "pudge" over your bust into your armpit. IMHO the other dresses seemed to fit those areas much better. That said, the dress is beautiful....and maybe just the corset laces can be loosened?

Thanks everyone! My mom tied the corset way too tight at first and I could hardly breathe so I think it will be fine if she ties it a little looser. I also have a large bust, and the dress has push up cups in it which I do not need so once I take those out that should give my chest a bit more room! Haha, it is my size though so I dont think it will be a problem. I agree though, I dont like the way the fit on top looks in those pictures either. But I love the dress! :goodvibes

Thanks everyone! My mom tied the corset way too tight at first and I could hardly breathe so I think it will be fine if she ties it a little looser. I also have a large bust, and the dress has push up cups in it which I do not need so once I take those out that should give my chest a bit more room! Haha, it is my size though so I dont think it will be a problem. I agree though, I dont like the way the fit on top looks in those pictures either. But I love the dress! :goodvibes

I was hoping that it could be adjusted....I think just a bit looser and it will be perfect! The dress is brilliant and you are going to look amazing on your wedding day!!

I love Maggie Sottero dresses! I got to try several of them on, but sadly no pics of me in them thanks to the bridal stores. I think that she makes the most flattering dresses. They all look stunning on you.

I am so totally jealous of you! I used to do pageants too, and sadly, 3 kids later, my body no longer looks like yours. You still have the pageant body! But I agree with some of the other posters - wear your Maggie dress. It's gorgeous. Save the pageant dress for another occassion. This is your wedding - wear the big poofy dress!

I know you've found your dress now but just got very excited when i saw you in MY dress! :goodvibes

Im having dress number 6... that's McCall is it not? I loved it, always knew i was going to be a Maggie bride and just cant wait to try my dress on again when it comes in, around christmas time!

You look absolutely beautiful in every dress, im so jealous :goodvibes. I think youve made a great choice and you got a bargain too :thumbsup2

Hi everyone, I went to try on my dress for my grandparents and tried it with a crinnie with thime and I think it looked better. What do you think? I also was thinking about jewelry, I think I want big sparkly earrings and a bracelet with no necklace because of all the beading at the neckline. So I tried it on with some of my pageant jewelry and I think it looked good but just like a bit much for a wedding. I really love some of the Kirstie Kelly Jewels and two of my favorites are from the Cinderella collection, my favorite princess! I also loved the Giselle pieces too. Which do you think would look best with my dress? My favorites are the first Cinderella paid DE418, the Cinderella pair DE156, and the Giselle pair DE347. I think the second Cinderella pair are my favorites. Thanks for your help!

Earrings:
http://www.disneybridal.com/collection/accessories/earrings/earrings.html?dressnumber=0

*Removed pics after I got responses again just in case

I think it looks much better with the crinnie, it just gives the whole dress a better shape. On the earring front, I would go for something simple and not too long since there is a lot of beading on the dress and you don't want to take away from that. I liked the Cinderella pair DE156 best (which I think was also your favorite). The bracelet goes very well too.

So I took my dress to a gown cleaning shop to be cleaned an preserved in an airtight box professionally again, because I want to it to stay perfect until my wedding. The box it is in does not have a window in it, which I requested because I read online that platic can cause yellowing, so I realized when I went to pick it up that I will not be able to even see my dress until I open the box again in two years! This makes me a bit nervous because the shop had lots of wedding dresses, and I dont know what I would do it they had accidently gave me the wrong one! The man working there assured me that they labeled each dress by name and with a number to prevent this, but I just wish I had asked him to wait to seal the box in front of me. I dont want to open it up to check and have to pay another $150 either! Am I being a freak about this? Would this worry you? I just pray I have nothing to worry about! Thanks!

When I had my dress preserved they took a Polaroid of it and taped it to the side of the box -- I guess that's my assurance that it's my dress but really, when I go to open it in 20 years (if DD wants to wear it:cloud9:) I hope I'm not in for a surprise.

Is there a way they can open the box to show you then reseal it without having to go through the whole preservation process again? Maybe that would cost less and be worth the peace of mind. Good luck:goodvibes

My wedding dress from 10 years ago was sealed in a huge box that has like 2 chamber. The first one you can open to reveal the 2nd one. The second one has the plastic window to view the box. This was supposedly a way to have the window and prevent yellowing. It has been 10 years, and my dress looks perfect. No yellowing on any of it. If I was 40 lbs lighter, I would wear it to my VR.

If it is only a couple of years until your wedding, I would go this route. Then you can see what's in the box.

I dont want to open it up to check and have to pay another $150 either! Am I being a freak about this? Would this worry you? I just pray I have nothing to worry about! Thanks!

I say have a little faith that they really are as organized as they say (crossing your fingers may help too =]). I'll be facing a similar situation if I buy my wedding dress in January. I have three years to go before my wedding, and I was actually just thinking to myself "how the heck am I going to store that thing?" I'm really glad someone else had the same question.

I'm kind of hoping I can get away with not having to preserve-pack it, though. I might ask at the shop for advise.

Good luck waiting to open that box!

:shamrock: ~ Tammy

I think they are all gorgeous. But my favorites are 4, 5 and 9 I think. 4 would be my taste for myself... but really they all look very beautiful on you! I bought my dress about 2 weeks ago. It's so hard to make a decision!!!

Why get your dress so many years before the event? Just curious what the reasoning would be. :) (I'd be a worry-wart as well)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter