My mom's in Haiti... [UPDATE: One year later, pg 18!]

wow!! i am so glad you were able to identify him and show your gratitude. The internet is truly, truly amazing.

how is your mom doing??

Mom's getting better every day!

She's been staying at my house since she got home (I'm set up with a first floor guest room with a private bath and walk-in shower; she lives in a 3rd floor apartment.)

Walking is difficult and painful, but she had a LOT of deep bruising and crush injuries on her back and legs. That's healing, slowly. Lots of doctor visits, lots of heating pads and gentle massage. :) She LOVES hot showers.

She's in great spirits, very sassy. The phone never stops ringing, and we've had lots of visitors and made a few outings. Things are slowly getting back to normal. We still have some tears each day, but there's more sunshine in between those episodes. :)

Kathy, thanks for the update, great to hear your mom is improving! :goodvibes:grouphug:

She's been staying at my house since she got home (I'm set up with a first floor guest room with a private bath and walk-in shower; she lives in a 3rd floor apartment.)

Walking is difficult and painful, but she had a LOT of deep bruising and crush injuries on her back and legs. That's healing, slowly. Lots of doctor visits, lots of heating pads and gentle massage. :) She LOVES hot showers.

She's in great spirits, very sassy. The phone never stops ringing, and we've had lots of visitors and made a few outings. Things are slowly getting back to normal. We still have some tears each day, but there's more sunshine in between those episodes. :)

So glad to heat that sunshine is replacing the tears.. It is a long process but with you next to her, your mom will make it!!

Lots of hugs to you both!

How wonderful that you found the "backpack" man. To be able to say thank you (if only to his wife) must be good therapy for your mom. I took my mom to get her hair done today (she's 82 and in wheelchair & her 3 kids take turns taking her to the hair dresser on Saturday). She asked after your Mom and when she heard you found the "backpack" man she was so happy for your family. She said to tell you we will continue to keep you and yours in our hearts and prayers. Penny:grouphug:

So glad to hear that your Mom is safely home w/you now! :flower3:

I'm so happy to hear of her improvement! Think of you both often.

It is so sad to hear how the Haitian people are getting by.

I know that many schools here in Quebec are having fundraisers to send money. Our dd's hs raised $6,739.00. They had hoped for $5,000.00.
So many schools here are raising money. My dh's company was collecting clothes for the many people who will be arriving here in the coming weeks. They will all need winter clothing- coats, boots, hats etc. Many people have donated to charities on their own.

If everyone helps a bit........it will make things a bit easier.

Hope you Mom is feeling better every day.

Today is 3 weeks since the earthquake, and Mom has healed enough to go home. She's been at my house since she got home, but packed her little bag and her shiny new walker and went back to her own place today. One more step toward normal!

She wasn't crazy about the walker idea, since that's for "old people". But she's still having a good deal of trouble walking and keeping her balance. It's getting better every day, but she still needs a little help. Maybe we'll festoon it with streamers and flags. Heck- maybe some battery powered Christmas lights, a la Bawb!!!

Today is 3 weeks since the earthquake, and Mom has healed enough to go home. She's been at my house since she got home, but packed her little bag and her shiny new walker and went back to her own place today. One more step toward normal!

She wasn't crazy about the walker idea, since that's for "old people". But she's still having a good deal of trouble walking and keeping her balance. It's getting better every day, but she still needs a little help. Maybe we'll festoon it with streamers and flags. Heck- maybe some battery powered Christmas lights, a la Bawb!!!

Christmas lights, or wrap it in a flower garland! So glad she has recovered enough to move back to her own place. What an experience she (and you) have had. I wish you both the best.

I amsure you are going to worry about her being alone. When my Mom broke her neck (at 80) and had to be in a neck brace, I was a wreck worrying about her when we weren't around. I am glad your mom is doing better. I still keep her in my thoughts. Penny:hug:

we found out last week that our cousin was killed in the earthquake...
she was in the UN building that collapsed.
She worked for the UN in Haiti.
She was a lovely young woman who wanted to help those less fortunate.
i hope she didn't suffer - that it ended quickly for her.

So sorry on the loss of your cousin...you'll be in our thoughts!

we found out last week that our cousin was killed in the earthquake...
she was in the UN building that collapsed.
She worked for the UN in Haiti.
She was a lovely young woman who wanted to help those less fortunate.
i hope she didn't suffer - that it ended quickly for her.

Oh I'm so sorry......:hug:

January 12 marks one year since the Haiti earthquake. Memories of the horror that Mom and her team went through when their clinic collapsed in the initial quake... the injuries, the death, the devastation... these have forever changed our 12 friends who were on that medical mission and their families. Most of the physical injuries have healed, leaving scars and making it hard for Mom to walk. We pray for Jean, who did not make it back home. And we pray for the Haitian people and the continuing nightmare that they live.

Mom's injuries had her in a wheelchair for a little while, unable to walk. Lots physical therapy and warm water aerobics later, she can walk most days but still has a lot of pain. We got her a walker, but she refuses to use it. :rotfl2:Some days she's too achy to leave her apartment. She finally broke down and got a handicapped license plate to help when she's out doing her errands. She just turned 70, but only seems that old on days when she hurts. We don't talk about her adventure much; she still can't revisit the memories without tears.

I think that this week will be tough for many, as the anniversary arrives and the memories and news coverage dredge up the memories of the initial horror and reinforce how little progress has been made in the living conditions of those still living Haiti.

There are several other DISsers who were affected by the tragedy, it's been touching and heartbreaking to hear their stories, too. I want to thank everyone here who followed our story, who offered strength and prayers, and who have asked about Mom throughout the year. Your words helped me, and have really touched her!

January 12 marks one year since the Haiti earthquake. Memories of the horror that Mom and her team went through when their clinic collapsed in the initial quake... the injuries, the death, the devastation... these have forever changed our 12 friends who were on that medical mission and their families. Most of the physical injuries have healed, leaving scars and making it hard for Mom to walk. We pray for Jean, who did not make it back home. And we pray for the Haitian people and the continuing nightmare that they live.

Mom's injuries had her in a wheelchair for a little while, unable to walk. Lots physical therapy and warm water aerobics later, she can walk most days but still has a lot of pain. We got her a walker, but she refuses to use it. :rotfl2:Some days she's too achy to leave her apartment. She finally broke down and got a handicapped license plate to help when she's out doing her errands. She just turned 70, but only seems that old on days when she hurts. We don't talk about her adventure much; she still can't revisit the memories without tears.

I think that this week will be tough for many, as the anniversary arrives and the memories and news coverage dredge up the memories of the initial horror and reinforce how little progress has been made in the living conditions of those still living Haiti.

There are several other DISsers who were affected by the tragedy, it's been touching and heartbreaking to hear their stories, too. I want to thank everyone here who followed our story, who offered strength and prayers, and who have asked about Mom throughout the year. Your words helped me, and have really touched her!

Thank you for the update. My prayers and positive thoughts are still with all those affected by the Haiti earthquake. I know those in Haiti are still suffering and hopefully they won't be forgotten as time goes by.

I can't believe it's been a year.

We will include your Mom in our thoughts for better, stronger days ahead Kathy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter