My mom's in Haiti... [UPDATE: One year later, pg 18!]

Hugs to you and your mom Kathy! :hug: She has a long road head of her but with you by her side she will be fine.

Sad and difficult day tomorrow... a goodbye service for Jean Arnwine, who did not survive the injuries she received in the Haiti earthquake. This will be a difficult day for Mom and the rest of the team that was with her, but they will be together.

This will be a time to uplift her in prayer and celebrate her life, and I pray it will be a time of healing for those who loved and knew her. Mom's still not physically strong, but we will get her to that service even if we have to do it in a wheelchair.

Kathy, thank you so much for sharing this with us. It's a privilege to hear the stories of these good people. So few of us would have the courage and selflessness to go so far from home to give medical care to people who need it so desperately....and then, to have suffered such pain and loss, it's just unfathomable.

I know your mom and her friends have much healing to do after their ordeal, but I hope they can take great comfort from the knowledge that while they were in Haiti, they helped more people in more tangible ways than most of us will in a lifetime. I'm sure the love they have for the people they met in Haiti is returned a thousandfold.

Your mom is a great lady; you must be so proud. I hope the service for Jean tomorrow brings some small measure of peace to your mom and the rest of her team.

Prayers for everyone involved, it will be long process of healing. Kathy, your Mom is lucky to have you near her for support.

OMG... Haiti's just been hit with a 6.1 aftershock... no news coverage yet...those poor people. :sad1:

I am reading updates on MSNBC.

I know aftershocks happen after earthquakes. But 6.1 seems big. And this country and its people need help, not more earthquakes!

Dr. Barth Green is the angel who arranged for my mom and 4 of her teammates to evacuate Haiti on a private plane on Thursday afternoon.

He co-founded an organization called Project Medishare that has been doing AMAZING medical work in Haiti for several years. There's a lot of information on their website about the rescue efforts and progress, including many, many photos they've taken in Haiti since the earthquake. Be careful- some are hard to look at.

You can also check out their Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/projectmedishare?ref=mf

These guys are my heroes.

Kathy, thanks for sharing that. I was thinking of you and your mom on Tuesday. Did she do okay for Jean's funeral? :hug:

That was a long and exhausting day for her, but very healing.

The whole team was there together except for one Dr. who lives in San Antonio. They had time together in a private room before the service, and there were LOTS of hugs and tears while they caught up with one another.

Jean's service was beautiful and uplifting. Her husband David spoke- he is such a strong, gracious and absolutely positive man! He truly did celebrate her, and made every one of us feel that we knew her personally and that he loved us.

The church (Highland Park United Methodist in Dallas) has been really wonderful to the team, giving them all kinds of support and helping with absolutely anything they can to make this easier for them. There are about 6 people at the church who have been supporting and communicating with us, and probably a lot more supporting them behind the scenes. From counseling, shielding the team from the media, arranging and providing for private places for them to meet and heal, to lots of little details, they've been great.

Again, it was a difficult day but very healing.

Thank you for thinking of her. If she knew how many people out there have been praying for her, she'd be shocked! :)

She shouldn't be shocked Kathy. I'm a believer that what you put out into the universe comes back to you ten-fold and your mom, Jean and the team certainly have been inspiring.

As my girls get older, I more and more feel the call to do some kind of mission and right now I feel like running, not walking, straight to some place like Haiti.

My 8 year old's small school of 200 kids raised $450 today for Haiti...and that was after having two storm days in a row so no reminders went home. They decided to do it again Monday and after they were told our government is doubling donations she informed me we're doubling what we gave today too :rotfl:

When your mom's back can handle it give her a big hug from her "neighbor" to the north for me!

My 8 year old's small school of 200 kids raised $450 today for Haiti...

Wow- that's wonderful! You should be very proud. :)

Although Haiti's suffering the nightmare of the earthquake now, they will need lots of help tomorrow, next year, and the year after that.

We all haved a strong desire to be there today. But looking at longer-term ways to help through donations and support of educational and medical charities after the earthquake fades from the headlines is the best way most of us can help our neighbors to the south.

Bless your kiddo and her classmates, give her a great big hug and tell her it's from my mom Nancy, who loves the people of Haiti and will be very proud of her! (She's sitting beside me and crying while watching the "Hope for Haiti Now" benefit on television.)

The church (Highland Park United Methodist in Dallas) has been really wonderful to the team, giving them all kinds of support and helping with absolutely anything they can to make this easier for them.

Thank you for thinking of her. If she knew how many people out there have been praying for her, she'd be shocked! :)

Church family is so fantastic.

So are DIS friends.

There’s some footage that was taken yesterday of the clinic where Mom's team was trapped on the UMNS Facebook page here:

http://www.facebook.com/#/video/video.php?v=1338528429837&ref=nf

The United Methodist Church official site has a link to a really well-done Flickr slideshow that includes a couple of good photos of the Petit Goave clinic taken on January 22 (yesterday). There are also photos of Rev. Gesner Paul, president of the Methodist Church in Haiti. Mom says he joined the team for dinner on the night of their arrival.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/umcommunications/show/

Missed checking in yesterday. I have been thinking about your Mom every since the earthquake. Knowing someone (even through the internet) makes it a little more personal. Prayers and pixie dust continue for you and yours. It's good you have all of that church support. The media can be stupidly brutal. It is a wonder more of them aren't hurt by the loved ones. Penny:grouphug:

This is where Mom was trapped, just behind the door on the left side of this photo. She had a large part of the roof on top of her, and the rescuers had to squeeze past that door that was jammed open and walk on the concrete that was on top of her...

4297955990_8a578c9dea.jpg

The Rev. Ralph Denizard describes how a massive earthquake destroyed the Haiti Eye Clinic in Petit-Goâve, Haiti. United Methodist volunteer Jean Arnwine of Dallas died of injuries she received in the collapse. A UMNS photo by Mike DuBose.

The hole in the wall on the right side of the door goes into another room, and is how rescuers got to two of her teammates (Jean and Karen).

4297955948_0ef3d876d1.jpg

4297211727_7b55cb3f46.jpg

These photos were taken yesterday, 1/22/2010.

Wow. Thanks again for sharing all of this. I have been thinking of your Mom's team and the healing they will be doing.
:grouphug:

We've identified the "backpack man"!!! He's a man from Florida who's been working in Haiti for several months.

Mom and I talked with his wife on the phone last night, and were able to tell her what he did for our team. He's still in Haiti, and has been working to dig victims out of the wreckage. :sad1:

She hasn't been able to get in touch with him for the past few days (still lots of cell phone outages, he may be out of range), but she's hoping he'll be back home soon.

We've identified the "backpack man"!!! He's a man from Florida who's been working in Haiti for several months.

Mom and I talked with his wife on the phone last night, and were able to tell her what he did for our team. He's still in Haiti, and has been working to dig victims out of the wreckage. :sad1:

She hasn't been able to get in touch with him for the past few days (still lots of cell phone outages, he may be out of range), but she's hoping he'll be back home soon.

Amazing!!! It must be very overwhelming for his wife too. How did you manage to find out who it was?!

How is your mom doing? Tell her we're still raising money here in Nova Scotia for Haiti. Hopefully the media keeps talking about it so the story doesn't go away because the news headlines might go but the tragedy will still be there. :sad1:

Kathy, I've been thinking of that man ever since you shared your story. There is something about this story that is even more amazing than it is already and I feel sure will come out in time.

Thank you for all the updates. I hope your Mom's healing is still progressing! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter