• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My buses pet peeve...

I don't know about this. No one knows which bus the bench-sitters are waiting for or if their whole party is together. The only time we sit on those benches is when we're waiting for a straggler. Otherwise we stand by the yellow line.

Yes, but the buses aren't going to suddenly speed off. I always wait a few seconds or so for people to start getting up off the benches, as they can see what buses are coming - at least they can where I stay at POR - if I have arrived a few minutes before the bus got there.

The OP was talking about people running to the bus stop and disregarding the people who had previously been waiting/sitting, etc.

for example when i go to Epcot it goes like this

Magic Kingdom
Animal Kingdom
Animal Kingdom
Hollywood Studios
Magic Kingdom
Hollywood Studios

EPCOT

No they had large crowds with them. It was easier to wait and be sure that we had a seat. It was really not a big deal until they did the loop twice and the 2 year old had to pee. That was the only problem. Just to be clear there were 9 ECV and wheelchairs total. Still in all not a big deal.

kelli

Oh :( Yeah, we waited once like that too for about 30 minutes and as the bus finally pulled in two ecvs came...not a big deal to me, I was fine with waiting for them and now that I have to use one myself, I have seen both sides (although our biggest group is 3 and the boys ALWAYS stand unless the bus is really empty)...but one of these had 25 people with them (yes, I counted) and the other 8 so it took most of the seats. Luckily...that is rare. :)

The buses were a mix bad for us on our Honeymoon 2008.
The good.
1. The fuller the bus the more we got to cuddle (Which just doe snot seem appropriate when being scrutinized by a 5 year old)
2. It was easy to get around, and we really did not Rush anywhere.
3. No worries about getting lost or drinking and driving...

The bad
4. the ONLY "bad" moods we ran into were on the buses. The drives (Not all of them) seemed to have missed the "You work for DISNEY" class.

Otherwise, we really enjoyed it and plan to use it our next trip (in 38 days)

:goodvibes

Best thing about taking the bus as opposed to renting a car? You always have a designated driver! :drinking1

Besides, I always get lost when I drive there...

The bad
4. the ONLY "bad" moods we ran into were on the buses. The drives (Not all of them) seemed to have missed the "You work for DISNEY" class.

Otherwise, we really enjoyed it and plan to use it our next trip (in 38 days)

:goodvibes

I will never forget getting cut off, and then flipped off by a Disney bus driver. They really are the most surly people on site, unless you count the servers at Boma.

No they had large crowds with them. It was easier to wait and be sure that we had a seat. It was really not a big deal until they did the loop twice and the 2 year old had to pee. That was the only problem. Just to be clear there were 9 ECV and wheelchairs total. Still in all not a big deal.

kelli

so they had to wait for 4 buses then, 1 more than you.

There is good news bad news about the WDW bus system. Like if you are going somewhere and your bus takes forever to pick you up and you see multiple busses going somewhere else, the bad news is you have to wait, the good news is it's probably because where you are going is less crowded and they don't need as many busses. We have literally whatched busses change their destination signs as they pull into the pickup area as they are directed to some of the most crowded ques.

Also the lack of ques at some resorts is usually reflected in the level of resort. In otherwords all the Value resorts have designated ques going to specific destinations while the moderates and deluxe resorts have more people driving and or more transportation choices. At the Poly, Contemporary, and Grand Floridian you can get places via a boat, the monorail, or the bus. As a result waits for some busses there are longer. From the Boardwalk, Beach, and Yatch Club, you can walk to Epcot or HS, or take the boat, or walk through Epcot to the monorail if you have a park hopper to get to MK.

The one thing I have noticed get much better over the years during our trips is the adaptability of the busses to the needs of guests during the day. They keep up with where people are going the most and try to put more busses on those routes.

Over the years, we have enjoyed taking the bus. Sure there have been a few occasions where we wished it was a bit faster (especially going back to the resort at night).

We haven't run into problems of people pushing in line. As for sitting on the benches, I will only sit if there is no one around. If I want a seat on the bus, I get in line. Might change that way of thinking in the years to come but for now, I'm okay. When our dd was a baby/toddler and we had a stroller and bags, we would wait for the next bus if it was too crowded.

On our last trip, we had a big group of young girls waiting for the bus to our resort. They were having a good time and were rather loud. Luckily we were behind them and had the option to wait for the next bus. We were at DTD. It didn't take all that long and we had a nice, quiet bus to go back on.

I just love the convenience of the bus.....

Since I take the bus at home on a regular basis, I guess I am used to waiting and being on buses.

For some folks who never take the bus at home, I guess it could be a challenge.

I will never forget getting cut off, and then flipped off by a Disney bus driver. They really are the most surly people on site, unless you count the servers at Boma.

Seriously?????? Well that was NOT very Disney-like. :rotfl: I'm curious of the situation that led to the one-finger salute.

:goodvibes Jennifer

Seriously?????? Well that was NOT very Disney-like. :rotfl: I'm curious of the situation that led to the one-finger salute.

:goodvibes Jennifer

Me too, I guess that driver really did miss the class, LOL! (Although I've never had a surly waiter at Boma - it's one of our faves :thumbsup2 )

Some hotels, like Riverside, have one waiting area with multiple stops at it. If others are already there but sitting on a bench or standing back a bit, I will wait for a bus near the yellow line. As others have stated, how do you know what bus everyone is waiting for? If they get mad when I board the bus before them, how is that my fault? They could have been waiting near the yellow line too, but they chose not to. The only way to rectify the problem is to make all hotel bus stops have roped off lines for buses, like the All Stars have. Until that happens, there will always be people that have problems at bus stops.

Ok, it's been several years since it happened but the general gist of the story is this. We were apparently in the lane he wanted to be in, we'd not seen his blinker and kept our pace. Unbeknownst to us, he was getting angry and decided that he was going to get in the lane no matter what. He came at the lane, forcing us to cut off someone else in the other lane to move over, then as his second act of non-disney behavior, he gave us a third grade, three finger salute (you know the "read between the lines" flipping off that you did in grade school as not to be caught doing the "real thing") and grinned.
After we realized that we weren't just turned into cream cheese by a Disney bus we started laughing hysterically.

Smaller children should be sitting on a grown up, in a seat. If the bus makes a sudden stop, the little ones could go flying. There are no seat belts on these buses, this just seems a little safer than a small child standing. At least that was my thought when I gave my seat to a woman who was standing with a little one by the driver. My DH has some back issues, he sits and holds our little one, I only sit when there's an extra seat. And yes, I know, everyone is tired after a day at the parks, sitting on the ride to your hotel is a bonus.

And EVCs (or what ever they're called). I understand they can only go in a certain spot on the bus, but last time we went, everyone was seated on the bus. There were no seats left and no one was waiting. Instead of leaving, the driver just sat there. After about 10-15 minutes, someone came with an EVC. Instead of making them wait for the next bus, the driver made the people sitting in that area stand to put the EVC in their spot, then made two more people get up for the person on the EVC and the person he was with to sit. I just do not understand why if they were not there when the bus arrived, and the seats were already full, why couldn't they wait for the next bus. It wasn't the last bus of the evening. I know I sound harsh. It's how I feel. Maybe it's because I have handicap parents who have always taught us that they are just like everbody else. Yes, special assistance/accomadations are necessary, but within reason.

I gotta say, you CAN make the rides and the waits fun.
We LOVE to people watch.
When we go to Vegas, we don't gamble we people watch. Its our Fav past time. People are SO entertaining.

On our last trip, after a long evening at DHS we got on a VERY (VERY) Packed Bus. We were sorta in the back standing right in the middle of the isle.

People were grumbling and complaining and whining and ... you know the sort.

Well the DH and I made a game of it. He held on and I held him and ever time we touched some one (accidentally) he said (((Squishy))) yes he is a grown man. : ). We <I>thought</I> we were bring quiet. Snickering to ourselves. Until the 70+ year old man standing beside DH said, ((?squishy)) and smiled.... well..... that was the end of any resemblance of a sane bus...

When we got off the bus, several passengers yelled out the Windows.... "BUY SQUICHIES"

Frankly it was a BLAST:dance3:

Just got back, loved the trip overall but one thing that really bugged me when leaving the resorts. There really isn't a line for the buses but I would think the first people there waiting get on the bus first.

There seemed to always be people who would walk up to the front of the yellow line and wait there then board first or 2nd.

It wasn't a big deal most of the time but one time 2 people did that and were about the only people that got on. Frustrated group once they left but thankfully another bus was right behind it.

And why is it whatever park I'm going to, the bus is always the last one to show up??? :confused3

I'm wondering where your family is waiting if another family can come and stand at the front of the yellow line. My family sits on a nice bench in the cool shade while I sweat in the blistering sun because I think the correct bus etiquette is to wait your place in line. We have been at the POP last 2 trips. Is the bus lineup different at the other resorts? We will be at CBR in May and want to know what to expect.

I just love the convenience of the bus.....

Since I take the bus at home on a regular basis, I guess I am used to waiting and being on buses.

For some folks who never take the bus at home, I guess it could be a challenge.

I take public transportation on a daily basis at home and don't have a problem with it while at Disney. I understand how frustrating it may be for some who are not used to this, but whenever dealing with others there will be inconveniences. Not everyone has the "commonsense" you do to know not to cut in front of a long line of people already waiting.

I'm wondering where your family is waiting if another family can come and stand at the front of the yellow line. My family sits on a nice bench in the cool shade while I sweat in the blistering sun because I think the correct bus etiquette is to wait your place in line. We have been at the POP last 2 trips. Is the bus lineup different at the other resorts? We will be at CBR in May and want to know what to expect.

I don't know about CBR specifically but only the values have the line queue system for buses. The other resorts have have a covered area with soda machines and benches at the back of the covered area. There is only one for all the buses. Well there are more then one throughout the resorts but they all serve for all destinations. Make Sense?

Here is a good picture: http://albums.mouseplanet.com/album225/YC_bus_stop.jpg

We sit if we want to ~ but certainly don't expect the crowd (if it turns into that) to part for us to board first every time a bus comes as you have no idea who is waiting for WHAT bus. If I starts to get crowded we ALL get up and go to the yellow line.

I have to say this seems to be a problem only at moderate. We haven't run into it at Pop or any of the deluxes. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter