• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My buses pet peeve...

I don't like it when you see an elderly woman or a pregnet woman left to stand while young healthy males take a seat. Come on! Join me and give up your seat!

It reminders of something, a few years ago, the bus was pack. My son was about 5 then. This nice guy stood up and said come on guys, let the woman sit down. Do you know he was the only one that gave up his seat. He told me to have a seat, I gave it to an elderly woman.

What gets me, is that when a bus does pull up to a resort or park, all of the people waiting to get on the bus, stand AT THE YELLOW LINE therefore giving NO ROOM for the people to get off. Sometimes the back doors of the bus are open and we use those, but other times we have to use the front. I have said many a time "People, if you will step back and allow us to get OFF the bus, then you will have a seat when you get ON the bus."

I have a toddler to help off (those bus steps are huge), a stroller to carry (folded up), and backpack (mini), and whatever souvies we just had to buy rather than having them delivered to the resort. Standing at the yellow line gives me very little room to get my toddler and myself off.

Please, stand a few steps back, let the bus unload, and then walk up to the yellow line.

Same rule for elevators. Once an elevator door opens people immediately want to get ON, not thinking of those who may be getting OFF (this happens to us a lot at the Contemporary Resort). I always smile a wicked grin when some fool tries to step on, while someone in a whellchair (or ECV) is trying to get out of the elevator. The doors have sensors, people, believe me, once they start to close either someone inside the elevator will hit the door open button or you can just wave your hand in between the doors and they will open. The elevator will not leave you behind.

I have only been three times. I like the bus service. I expect to wait, I expect the buses to be full and I would like to sit, but if I have to stand I don't mind.

The best was at CSR, we were picked up 1st and dropped off 1st

Second best was at ASMu.

And lastly was POR.

The longest wait seems to be at Downtown Disney.

We got so lucky last year, we got picked up from AKL (we ate at Boma)
the bus went back to AK, we were going to get off and then go to ASMu bus stop, but that is where this bus parked, so we just got to stay on the bus. We were like :yay:

This worries me tremendously!!! This is the first trip for us completely relying on the busses. We normally rent a car but decided to give the busses a try this time. It's going to be quite a different trip for us. This one will determine whether or not we rent a car or do busses for all of our next trips!!!

Don't let it worry you this comes up at least once a week on here on various boards. Some hate the busses some love them. Some will love driving, some hate it. It is ALL personal prefference. If you go in with the mindset that X (driving or disney transport) is going to be miserable based on posts from here I can about bet you that it will indeed be miserable. Try to go in as open minded and non biases as possible and make up your own decision whether Disney transport works for you and your family.

I think it pretty much all evens out. Yeah, I might have to wait 15 minutes for a DTD bus, but then I don't have to spend that 15 minutes looking for parking/looking for my car on the way back.

I truly wish they would put que's in place at every resort bus stop!!! When my friend and I were at Kidani in Dec, we arrived at the bus stop, and took a seat. There were about 8 or so other people there as well. We were waiting for the bus to DHS. Because the regular bus stops were being worked on, we all had to wait, for all buses, at the DME bus stop...made it rather crammed. Well...bus after bus came..but not bus to DHS. After about 25 mins, one came into sight. Now, by this time there was a huge crowd there. My friend and I saw the bus coming, got up and started walking to the bus. Well...behind us we heard a woman say..."Well, some people are so incredibly rude. They don't think they need to wait their turn to get on the bus and just shove in front of everyone who has been waiting." Now, we realized that she was talking about us! Of course, she was one of those guests who had arrived at the bus stop about 5 mins prior. So....my friend just said, something to the effect of..."Good thing we had those benches to sit on since it took almost 30 mins for the bus to get here.'' Now, I'm not sure that woman heard that or not...don't care much. But we sure as heck didn't shove in front of anyone.....we know the drill. We just got up and headed over to that 'yellow line' when we saw our bus coming.

But, I've been in line at POP, where they do have a que for each park. I've stood in that que, and waited patiently...only to have someone circumvent the que and head right to the bus door, and then try to just get on. I always wonder what they thought we were all in a line for!!!! Or those people that can see the 'do not enter' signage on the back door of the bus, but still head there as soon as they see it open. Of course they then yell and scream when the door starts to close on them!!!!

It is sad to say, but those kiosks were set up that way years ago, before we developed this "it is all about me" attitude. I have watched us deteriorate over the years. Add into it now, not only the attitude that it is every man for himself, you have people not paying attention while texting, etc.

Being an architect, who now works in facilities management, you can always design something to intend the flow of traffic. Entrances to buildings, walkways, corridors, etc. The same holds true in site work. Pathways, "cattle" queues, etc.

However, you cannot overcome the change in attitude over the years and I don't think we will ever be able to do so. We have just all either gone against the rules of etiquette, or for those of us in the older generation, we have had to just tolerate it.

What gets me, is that when a bus does pull up to a resort or park, all of the people waiting to get on the bus, stand AT THE YELLOW LINE therefore giving NO ROOM for the people to get off. Sometimes the back doors of the bus are open and we use those, but other times we have to use the front. I have said many a time "People, if you will step back and allow us to get OFF the bus, then you will have a seat when you get ON the bus."

I have a toddler to help off (those bus steps are huge), a stroller to carry (folded up), and backpack (mini), and whatever souvies we just had to buy rather than having them delivered to the resort. Standing at the yellow line gives me very little room to get my toddler and myself off.

Please, stand a few steps back, let the bus unload, and then walk up to the yellow line.

That wouldn't be a problem if people would exit from the rear.

My pet peeve is when I am standing, and someones backpack/stroller/ect gets a seat. I don't mind standing, dh doesn't mind standing, but if there is people standing put your dang back pack in your lap so someone else can sit down!

That is when I politely ask them to move their bag so I can sit down. Some people are rude and others are just in "la la land". :wizard:

:goodvibes Jennifer

I seem to be in the minority of the thinking or am I misunderstanding the OP?

If I wait for the bus sitting on a bench, and someone else chooses to wait for the bus behind the yellow line, and even if they have not been waiting long, if they start the line, they get on first (sans wheelchairs, etc). Is this rude?

I think if I choose to wait on a bench, I am not in line.

I have stayed at the mods a couple of times and think people lined up rather fairly. But I never saw someone tell anyone that they get to go to the front of the line because they had been waiting longer. In fact, I think the buses are just fine. Not great, not the monorail, but just fine. They save me the expense of a rental car.

I have only been three times. I like the bus service. I expect to wait, I expect the buses to be full and I would like to sit, but if I have to stand I don't mind.

The best was at CSR, we were picked up 1st and dropped off 1st

Second best was at ASMu.

And lastly was POR.

The longest wait seems to be at Downtown Disney.

We got so lucky last year, we got picked up from AKL (we ate at Boma)
the bus went back to AK, we were going to get off and then go to ASMu bus stop, but that is where this bus parked, so we just got to stay on the bus. We were like :yay:

This past year, DTD had two attendants every night, radioing back to the dispatcher what buses were needed. This was both early evening and late evening. We were pleasantly surprised how quickly the buses were coming.

If I wait for the bus sitting on a bench, and someone else chooses to wait for the bus behind the yellow line, and even if they have not been waiting long, if they start the line, they get on first (sans wheelchairs, etc). Is this rude?

I have stayed at the mods a couple of times and think people lined up rather fairly. But I never saw someone tell anyone that they get to go to the front of the line because they had been waiting longer. In fact, I think the buses are just fine. Not great, not the monorail, but just fine. They save me the expense of a rental car.

Actually I was wondering the same thing. I understand about wanting to sit on a bench if you are the first ones there and it might take awhile. The only problem is, people lining up may not always realize you are waiting for the bus. Nor will everyone pay attention to their surroundings and make sure no one else is waiting elsewhere but "in line".

That wouldn't be a problem if people would exit from the rear.

It is a problem when the driver does not open the rear doors, as many drivers DID NOT during our recent stay. Believe me, I am all about the path of least resistance, but when that path is blocked you are forced to take the difficult route.

Bench people are a different story! :) Or at least not what I was talking about. To be clear we were all standing (about 40 people) in a semi-formal line but I wouldn't say it was a straight line. Either way people were in an order as to when they arrived for the bus. This particular day the front group of 10 or so were complaining about "when is a bus going to get here." About 5 minutes before the bus came 2 younger people (a couple) walked to the yellow line and boarded right when the bus pulled up.

It seemed to happen more often than not and like I said the buses weren't full except that one time but just seems like the wrong thing to do and force yourself to the front of the line. I wouldn't have done it personally to anyone else ahead of me...

Technically anytime you are looking for something it will always be in the last place you look, because if you find it, you won't keep looking!:rotfl2:

Ah, but I tend to look for something even after I've found it, just so I did NOT find it in the last place I looked for it. Started that about a year ago, and it has made me immensely happy each time I do it. :rotfl:

popcorn::

This is always a hot topic.

Actually the OP's topic is not one I've ever seen.

It's not the topic it might become, which is a hot topic (and people have already started with the people giving up seats for others nonsense (I find it nonsense b/c I would FAR prefer to stand, even when wearing/carrying a baby/toddler, and especially when vastly pregnant, and was always embarrassed (city transit, not WDW) to be seen as so delicate or weak I couldn't stand and then more embarrassed at having to turn the offer down multiple times b/c people won't freakin' give up when trying to give their seat to someone they think needs it)), or various other topics.

Now that is an interesting idea! Like if I'm in Seattle waiting for a bus, and the bus is coming in half an hour (like on a Sunday), and I decide to sit down on a bench or lean on a column...if someone comes up and stands where the bus will stop...we both have a solid claim at being "first in line". Interesting.

There really isn't a line for the buses but I would think the first people there waiting get on the bus first.

There seemed to always be people who would walk up to the front of the yellow line and wait there then board first or 2nd.

That's the topic of the OP. Pretty simple, but also interesting, because it requires everyone to define "the start of the line" on their own, since it doesn't seem that Disney is giving *theirs*.

How do you know which bus everyone is waiting for? I know some resorts have designated "depots" for buses going to certain parks, but even it's not exclusive to one. What if you're waiting for MK on the bench, and a family of 5 stands right on the curb waiting? Are you gonna be upset? Maybe they are going to DTD? You just don't know...

There are only so many places for a wheelchair and ECV on a bus...on most buses that is 2, and if both are occupied it takes six seats. I find it hard to believe that you had to wait for three buses because of all the wheelchairs and ECVs, because that means they put the ECVs and wheelchairs in "people" spots and it is against the law to do that, so they don't. If there were that many ECVs or wheelchairs, THEY are the ones that wait until a bus comes with room for them. You had to wait because of all the people, not just ECVs and wheelchairs....even after the wheeled vehicles were loaded there is still a lot of room for people.

I do have to agree with you that DTD buses are not fun....they do seem to come very far apart compared to the park and resort buses and I feel your pain on the long ride...we have taken a cab a few times because it was so much faster.

No they had large crowds with them. It was easier to wait and be sure that we had a seat. It was really not a big deal until they did the loop twice and the 2 year old had to pee. That was the only problem. Just to be clear there were 9 ECV and wheelchairs total. Still in all not a big deal.

kelli

Actually I was wondering the same thing. I understand about wanting to sit on a bench if you are the first ones there and it might take awhile. The only problem is, people lining up may not always realize you are waiting for the bus. Nor will everyone pay attention to their surroundings and make sure no one else is waiting elsewhere but "in line".

I think that is definately the OP's meaning.

You unfortunately cannot sit on the benches and then allow a couple of people to come up right before the bus arrives anymore. No one looks around them and notices that people have been sitting in the benches longer than you have been standing there for a minute or two. They just proceed onto the bus in front of the bench sitters.

It is even worse if people are texting as they are walking up to the bus, completely oblivious to what is going on around them (don't get me started) - they see the bus coming, and walk right up to the bus door and stand right in front of it, while the rest of us are getting off the benches.

I was behind a girl this past year - and I noted that she should wait, because the rest of us had already been there. Her comment, "but I just told my friends I was getting on the bus." No regard to the fact that the rest of us had been sitting there for about ten minutes waiting patiently. She hadn't even noticed we existed until we mentioned it.

I think that is definately the OP's meaning.

You unfortunately cannot sit on the benches and then allow a couple of people to come up right before the bus arrives anymore. No one looks around them and notices that people have been sitting in the benches longer than you have been standing there for a minute or two. They just proceed onto the bus in front of the bench sitters.

I don't know about this. No one knows which bus the bench-sitters are waiting for or if their whole party is together. The only time we sit on those benches is when we're waiting for a straggler. Otherwise we stand by the yellow line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter