Moving People to DVC Resorts during Reopening. Is it right?

Just announced alot of new Disney hotels that are opening up and dates:

Value Resorts:

• Disney’s All Star Movies Resort – TBD
  • Disney’s All Star Music Resort – TBD
  • Disney’s All Star Sports Resort – TBD
  • Disney’s Art of Animation Resort – August 12, 2020
  • Disney’s Pop Century Resort – July 10, 2020
Moderate Resorts:

• Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort – July 29, 2020
  • Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort & Gran Destino Tower – October 14, 2020
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter – TBD
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside – TBD
Deluxe Resorts:

• Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge: Jambo House – TBD
  • Disney’s Beach Club Resort – August 24, 2020
  • Disney’s Boardwalk Inn – October 1, 2020
  • Disney’s Contemporary Resort – July 10, 2020
  • Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – September 21, 2020
  • Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort – August 12, 2020
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge – TBD
  • Disney’s Yacht Club Resort – August 24, 2020
Deluxe Villa Resorts:

• Animal Kingdom Lodge: Jambo House – July 10, 2020
  • All Others Reopening June 22, 2020

A percentage of Breakage room income (60 days or less) is reflected in dues. If Disney is using points they control, they do not give a percentage to DVC, other than the dues they pay on those points., so it would not show as a line item. Plus I think there is a cap on the amount of breakage income DVC can receive. It is the same as an individual owner renting out their points.

The cap is 2.5%..

I think moved reservations (from closed resorts to more expensive options) that are checking out before July 11 do not need to pay the difference. Reservations that are checking out after the parks open on July 11 will need to pay the difference.
No where has that been said

Just announced alot of new Disney hotels that are opening up and dates:

Value Resorts:

• Disney’s All Star Movies Resort – TBD
  • Disney’s All Star Music Resort – TBD
  • Disney’s All Star Sports Resort – TBD
  • Disney’s Art of Animation Resort – August 12, 2020
  • Disney’s Pop Century Resort – July 10, 2020
Moderate Resorts:

• Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort – July 29, 2020
  • Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort & Gran Destino Tower – October 14, 2020
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter – TBD
  • Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside – TBD
Deluxe Resorts:

• Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge: Jambo House – TBD
  • Disney’s Beach Club Resort – August 24, 2020
  • Disney’s Boardwalk Inn – October 1, 2020
  • Disney’s Contemporary Resort – July 10, 2020
  • Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa – September 21, 2020
  • Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort – August 12, 2020
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge – TBD
  • Disney’s Yacht Club Resort – August 24, 2020
Deluxe Villa Resorts:

• Animal Kingdom Lodge: Jambo House – July 10, 2020
  • All Others Reopening June 22, 2020

Am rather new to DVC via family. Am I correct in assuming "Deluxe Villa Resorts" means the DVC rooms?

I saw the Oct 1st date for BW and had a mild panic attack. I have reservations at BWV for the very end of August.

But DVC gets paid for those rooms, right? Wouldn't that income be added to the accounting for next year?

Breakage income offsets up to 2.5% of the annual dues operation budget (excluding some items in the budget). Traditionally, the actual breakage income has greatly exceeded that 2,5%, with the result that most of the annual breakage income goes to Disney entities.

In case anyone is interested, it seems that with the hotels open that most guests are being given lateral moves...sometimes there has been a slight charge, but most of the time, if they push it and get to guest services, people are being moved for same price.

A few guests have mentioned DVC but 99% of them are going to hotels now,

Are they moving people because of the possibility of the NBA teams needing to be in a "bubble" so they can restart their season? Obviously the NBA scenario couldn't have non-NBA guests in the resort, so they'd have to move existing reservations.

I doubt the NBA would be using the Value resorts, from where a lot of people are being moved. All in all, upgrading people to DVC resorts is pretty normal depending upon the season and
other factors. As long as Disney is using the points that they own to do so, that they pay the dues on, it would be like any other member renting out their points.

Are they moving people because of the possibility of the NBA teams needing to be in a "bubble" so they can restart their season? Obviously the NBA scenario couldn't have non-NBA guests in the resort, so they'd have to move existing reservations.

Right now, they are moving people from closed to open. So, those at the resorts with NBA will be moved. It appears that they show those resorts not opening until after they anticipate NBA to be gone.

Today it sounds like they are moving to something in the same category if they can...if not, then they may be moved to a higher level.

I doubt the NBA would be using the Value resorts, from where a lot of people are being moved. All in all, upgrading people to DVC resorts is pretty normal depending upon the season and
other factors. As long as Disney is using the points that they own to do so, that they pay the dues on, it would be like any other member renting out their points.

Having only stayed at DVC resorts for the past 13 years I assumed that one of the reasons All Star Sports was being talked about for use by the NBA as they have basketball courts which would create the bubble the NBA is looking to keep it's players in. Understood that multi millionaire athletes would not opt for the lower scale resort, but if it had the facilities to play the games then I'd imagine there's no choice. It would be pointless to let them play at one place and stay somewhere else.

My next door neighbor had a July 21-24 cash reservation at the poly. Of course, it is now closed for her stay. She called today and they are moving her to a kidani village 2 bedroom savannah view for the same price. At least in this instance, they are moving cash customers to dvc resorts.

"Cash" customer here...if I may chime in with my experience with about 15 hours on the phone over the last 3 days with Disney (not exaggerating).

I'm not offended, but mildly annoyed by the presumption that my family, who was moved from a Resort (specifically POR with a Water View Royal Room) to a DVC Villa, might somehow treat your "home" with any less respect than you will/will not. For what it's worth, I don't want one of these rooms, I want the room I booked at the resort I chose. That's why I chose it. That being said, I don't have that choice anymore and if I hadn't gotten on the phone with Disney, my reservation would've been automatically cancelled so I called.

They offered me another moderate resort room. I very politely explained my situation, asked if there were any other options I might have at no additional cost, and they offered me a villa that I accepted. We are now excited about our trip again after the state of the world was sucking the life out of all of it.

My next door neighbor had a July 21-24 cash reservation at the poly. Of course, it is now closed for her stay. She called today and they are moving her to a kidani village 2 bedroom savannah view for the same price. At least in this instance, they are moving cash customers to dvc resorts.

Good point,..some cash guests at deluxe resorts...with only the Contemporary opening on the hotel side for that level are being moved to DVC because not much to choose from.

"Cash" customer here...if I may chime in with my experience with about 15 hours on the phone over the last 3 days with Disney (not exaggerating).

I'm not offended, but mildly annoyed by the presumption that my family, who was moved from a Resort (specifically POR with a Water View Royal Room) to a DVC Villa, might somehow treat your "home" with any less respect than you will/will not. For what it's worth, I don't want one of these rooms, I want the room I booked at the resort I chose. That's why I chose it. That being said, I don't have that choice anymore and if I hadn't gotten on the phone with Disney, my reservation would've been automatically cancelled so I called.

They offered me another moderate resort room. I very politely explained my situation, asked if there were any other options I might have at no additional cost, and they offered me a villa that I accepted. We are now excited about our trip again after the state of the world was sucking the life out of all of it.
@gmflash88 , I may be speaking out of turn, but I don't think DVC folks (for the most part, at least) have any issue with treating the rooms with respect, it's rather that if DVC is moving people into DVC rooms over the percentage of points that DVC owns, then members are supposed to receive what is called "breakage". In other words, in some part, WDW Resorts have to pay a certain amount to DVC (though, as noted above, it is capped). That amount gets credited against our annual dues, which would make them decrease. This is what, I believe, members are wanting to verify and are mostly concerned about.

I hope you have a great trip!

@gmflash88 , I may be speaking out of turn, but I don't think DVC folks (for the most part, at least) have any issue with treating the rooms with respect, it's rather that if DVC is moving people into DVC rooms over the percentage of points that DVC owns, then members are supposed to receive what is called "breakage". In other words, in some part, WDW Resorts have to pay a certain amount to DVC (though, as noted above, it is capped). That amount gets credited against our annual dues, which would make them decrease. This is what, I believe, members are wanting to verify and are mostly concerned about.

I hope you have a great trip!

In addition to breakage, Disney owns 2 to 4% of the resorts. That means they can book, like any owner, that much of a resort and it is not tied to breakage.

So, there really are a lot of rooms that Disney can use, above and beyond what members didn’t book at 60 days or less.

They are also allowed to take rooms farther out on that by anticipating what members will use.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter