Moving People to DVC Resorts during Reopening. Is it right?

You stick to the rules. /story

Brought this up back in March as well. The rules are there to equally protect everyone. If you traveled in the last month of your UY or with 2018 banked points that is on you. No different than a hurricane hitting and you unable to travel or possibly Disney being closed (was there in September when it was shutdown).

I mean someone posted today they think the customer service is terrible because after already getting a reservation in August before their UY expiration they now want to take advantage of an extended period to book later this fall.

In the end most people are selfish which is fine and again why the rules are written in black and white.

Who really got shafted is anyone with sleep around points from OKW/SSR who never want to stay there. That is the group who will be hit hardest by shortage of rooms and nothing available at 7 months.

But in retrospect, it is hard to feel sorry for those using OKW and SSR as only sleep around points, too. Being restricted, for one reason or another, to your home resort was always a possibility. And everyone here has always said Buy Where You Want To Stay.

In most shared risk systems - like insurance - there will always be people who take a greater share of the cost, usually those who are most directly impacted. If you have people with high utilization on your health plan, everyone will have a higher premium, but those using the plan heavily also will pay in more in coinsurance or copay.

There is no real way to perfectly balance banked and borrowed points across all UY with impacts from the closures to date, the ongoing closures at VGC and AUL, the people under travel quarantine orders or at high risk to travel, people who are angry parks are closed or require advance booking, etc.
Exactly. I always find it interesting in so many situations that those that complain the most never offer a real solution. It's easy to sit at a keyboard and arm chair quarterback instead of being the ones that are trying to deal as fairly as they can when faced with a problem no one ever imagined possible.

You stick to the rules. /story

Brought this up back in March as well. The rules are there to equally protect everyone. If you traveled in the last month of your UY or with 2018 banked points that is on you. No different than a hurricane hitting and you unable to travel or possibly Disney being closed (was there in September when it was shutdown).

I mean someone posted today they think the customer service is terrible because after already getting a reservation in August before their UY expiration they now want to take advantage of an extended period to book later this fall.

In the end most people are selfish which is fine and again why the rules are written in black and white.

Who really got shafted is anyone with sleep around points from OKW/SSR who never want to stay there. That is the group who will be hit hardest by shortage of rooms and nothing available at 7 months.

I am going to add that it is not right that DVC is penalizing people who booked a back up trip with banked 2018 points when they were told no extensions were being given for Aug, Sept, and Oct UY.

Once the new rule came out, those people should be eligible because they did have a qualified trip. Of course, it should not apply to anyone who changed it after the rule.but before the exception...yeah, especially since they let people pull back from RCI.

And as someone who bought 500 SSR to use to SAP, I don’t consider myself shafted at all. I bought knowing the deal and if the next year or two more of my trips end up there, then that’s the way the cookie crumbles!

And as someone who bought 500 SSR to use to SAP, I don’t consider myself shafted at all. I bought knowing the deal and if the next year or two more of my trips end up there, then that’s the way the cookie crumbles!

Agree completely. One of our contracts is a 120 point SSR contract we bought several years ago, simply because we got a heck of a deal on it. We have never spent one single night at SSR, but if we were relegated to stay there, we're perfectly ok with it. I always make a reservation there at 11 months...just in case. We just always end up combining points with some of our other contracts and stay somewhere else.

I certainly don't understand the mindset of folks who get upset because they have to stay where they BOUGHT.

I certainly don't understand the mindset of folks who get upset because they have to stay where they BOUGHT.

Who is saying they are upset? None of this came from someone complaining but my comment about how the pain was partly shifted off people who did a poor job of using their contract on to the backs of those with SAPs.

To be very clear I own 0 SAPs and would never choose to own those points either.

I saw someone post today that they got upgraded to Parkview tower rooms at the contemporary, I would be seriously pissed if I paid for a garden wing room and people were being upgraded from values to the park view rooms.
I am digesting many of the comments as to some amazing upgrades with a very large grain of salt.

We cancelled our DVC early august res, now @ Pop. Not sure If my risk tolerance level can overcome the covid numbers i’m Seeing, still have some time to throw in the towel depending on how things pan out.

However, for those who are booked ahead of me, I tip my hat and thank them for paving the way back. Sure not going to begrudge them any upgrades, DVC or otherwise.

I think limiting borrowing to 50% is a reasonable and 100% legal compromise
Far better than I expected
Oh, I understand it completely, yet don’t agree with it on principle.

Not going to pretend I understand all of the ins & outs of the contract(s) we signed Most of what I know of that ilk, has been obtained here, for better or worse lol. However, I always had it in the back of my mind that the day might just come wherein people would be limited to booking their own resorts.

Who is saying they are upset? None of this came from someone complaining but my comment about how the pain was partly shifted off people who did a poor job of using their contract on to the backs of those with SAPs.

To be very clear I own 0 SAPs and would never choose to own those points either.

That's why people are different. I bought my SSR points at a steal (steal, as in...there's NO WAY rofr doesn't take this one, and I could double my money selling right now), and will continue to use them within DVC's rules for years to come.

I certainly don't view being possibly "forced" to use my SSR points actually at SSR as "pain".

That's why people are different. I bought my SSR points at a steal (steal, as in...there's NO WAY rofr doesn't take this one, and I could double my money selling right now), and will continue to use them within DVC's rules for years to come.

I certainly don't view being possibly "forced" to use my SSR points actually at SSR as "pain".

If SSR was your first choice then you would be staying there and they wouldnt be SAPs. So there is a pain, a limitation, or whatever you personally want to call it if that option is removed based on general exceptions to rules that we all signed up for.

If SSR was your first choice then you would be staying there and they wouldnt be SAPs. So there is a pain, a limitation, or whatever you personally want to call it if that option is removed based on general exceptions to rules that we all signed up for.

You seem to think you know more about me than I do.

Are you saying that those of us with SAP may be more effected because trading will be harder?

If so, yes, very possibly true. But, just because we may not be able to use them as SAP for a few years, doesn’t mean it will be seen as a big deal.

But, not convinced yet it’s going to be as bad as everyone thinks, except for those really busy times,

What I think we may see is a more even booking of studios And 1 bedrooms since people have extra points to use up.

Let me help you, Seth.

1. I've *never* said SSR was my first choice.
2. I've said that I bought it at an absolute STEAL.
3. Getting it at the price I did, I pretty much always meant it to be used as a supplement to my other contracts.
4. I would not experience "pain", or "limitation" at all to stay at SSR. I simply haven't chosen to stay there yet. Doesn't mean I'd be disappointed in a stay there. I might even love it. I've stayed at every value and moderate at Disney, and SSR and Riviera are the only two resorts I haven't stayed at...and I've had a great trip every time. I don't think SSR would change that.

Does that help?

You seem to think you know more about me than I do.

I don't know crap about you and never said I did.

Let me lay this out very simplistically for you.

• SAPs means you use those points to always stay at different resorts.
  • If the SAPs can only be used at the home resort they are no longer useful for their primary usage
  • If they are no longer useful for the primary use the owner of those points is impacted
How much or little you are impacted I don't care. I am just saying those points which are deemed SAPs are more impacted when rules around expiration and banking are relaxed or waived.

Are you saying that those of us with SAP may be more effected because trading will be harder?

If so, yes, very possibly true. But, just because we may not be able to use them as SAP for a few years, doesn’t mean it will be seen as a big deal.

I never said it was a big deal. I just said the SAPs were more impacted. I am less impacted as I can book at 11 months and avoid any resort gridlock with bookings.

When SSR is renovated, it looks like a good deal. Nice rooms, low points and walking to Disney Springs. To be honest, I've never wanted to stay there but might in the future.

DVC sold that resort as "buy here, stay anywhere" so no surprise the last room available situation.

Just a theory:

Disney is not selling 2020 tickets to DVC members with reservations in hopes that the DVC member cancels. Disney will then claim the open room once in the 60 day window. Disney can then move a cash paying guest from a closed resort to DVC at no extra charge to the guest. This allows Disney to fill DVC rooms with cash guest from closed resorts.

Disney is basically forcing DVC members to cancel their trips so they can fill the rooms with $$ guest.

Thoughts?

Just a theory:

Disney is not selling 2020 tickets to DVC members with reservations in hopes that the DVC member cancels. Disney will then claim the open room once in the 60 day window. Disney can then move a cash paying guest from a closed resort to DVC at no extra charge to the guest. This allows Disney to fill DVC rooms with cash guest from closed resorts.

Disney is basically forcing DVC members to cancel their trips so they can fill the rooms with $$ guest.

Thoughts?

I do not agree that Disney stopped selling tickets to get anyone to cancel, DVC or otherwise,

They stopped because they had no idea how people would book with the tickets already sold

Remember, there are cash guests staying onsite who can’t get 2020 tickets either...they stopped sales for everyone

Based on the parks not filling up except those first few weeks, I would be surprised if we didn’t see those tickets on sale within two weeks.

Clearly they stopped ticket sales to see what happens with Park Reservations for guest with tickets. However at this time delaying DVC members the right to buy their tickets makes no sense unless Disney has another motive.

Also they can move cash guest who have tickets from a closed resort.

Keeping DVC members in the complete dark by saying "later this summer" is not good enough at this date. People have trips coming up fast and they have to make final plans or cancel. I'm sure Disney knows the day they plan to allow ticket sales, it seems they are not telling us so that we cancel.

Asking members to "confirm by July 1st" if they are still going when we don't even know if they are gonna sell us tickets is a joke.

SAPs means you use those points to always stay at different resorts.

I think this may be the part where not everyone agrees and may not define SAPs the same way. We own SSR points since they were lower priced and we wanted to stay at all DVC resorts eventually, but didn't necessarily want to use our other more expensive points to try out different resorts. That doesn't mean we intend to always stay at different resorts on those points. We stayed at SSR in February for the first time and loved it, and would happily stay there again especially when our kids are older and we don't have to lug a double stroller around. We enjoy DS and the short walk there was really nice, plus we loved the renovated 2BR. But we do intend to use those points at various resorts compared to our other points, so we consider them SAPs.

Clearly they stopped ticket sales to see what happens with Park Reservations for guest with tickets. However at this time delaying DVC members the right to buy their tickets makes no sense unless Disney has another motive.

Also they can move cash guest who have tickets from a closed resort.

Keeping DVC members in the complete dark by saying "later this summer" is not good enough at this date. People have trips coming up fast and they have to make final plans or cancel. I'm sure Disney knows the day they plan to allow ticket sales, it seems they are not telling us so that we cancel.

Asking members to "confirm by July 1st" if they are still going when we don't even know if they are gonna sell us tickets is a joke.

But it is not just DVC that is being shut out. It is their own cash guests staying at their resorts too,

The email that was sent to DVC was the same one sent to cash guests...honestly, I think that was more of an easy way to get them out vs, trying to set things up to weed out DVC points and cash.

Again, if they were letting cash guests get 2020 tickets while moving them to DVC, then I would agree it would be a bad thing,

But, it’s not...it is everyone with a onsite stay, no matter how they paid...so what reason would they have to prevent those guests from getting tickets?

I don't know what all this SAPs talk is, it confuses me. Whats does "SAPs" mean? I originally bought SSR 100 points because it was cheap. For 3 years I stayed at multiple resorts and not once SSR. After 3 years I was tired of not getting BLT. I eventually sold my SSR 100 points and now own 520 BLT points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts