Moving People to DVC Resorts during Reopening. Is it right?

rpk1951

DIS Veteran
I have read that Disney is moving people from other resorts like All Star Sports to DVC properties. I understand their desire to consolidate what they have to clean and number of staff needed to hire. That said the wear and tear on DVC does not seem to be fair to those who pay the dues for maintenance. I would hope Disney takes in to account that there should be a reduction in what we pay, especially when people who do not understand the meaning of a home resort.
PS I know that will never happen as this is about saving money and not member satisfaction.

I see what you mean, it's basically the renter vs owner mentality and that owners might be more respectful to keep it nice, not spill stuff on furniture/carpets or bang their luggage around, etc. I'm just not sure there will be a discernible difference because plenty of cash/renters behave appropriately and not all owners do. It's a mixed bag either way.

Disney can only move cash guests to DVC if they (Disney) use the points they have in their inventory to pay for them. Disney has inventory at DVC resorts because of trades made by DVC members (to cruise or use another option in some "Collections"), ROFR buy-backs, breakage or unsold points (especially at the resorts like Riviera & Aulani).

Most of the resorts have been close to fully occupied even before the closures. Does it really matter all that much where the guests come from?

People being moved to DVC rooms are paying the price difference. It's no different than someone deciding to stay at a DVC resort with cash instead of points.

Only if they changed dates. Moves for no additional charge for those with pre park trips have happened.

Monday those with trips going after July 11th will find out what is happening.

This is incorrect

I think moved reservations (from closed resorts to more expensive options) that are checking out before July 11 do not need to pay the difference. Reservations that are checking out after the parks open on July 11 will need to pay the difference.

I think moved reservations (from closed resorts to more expensive options) that are checking out before July 11 do not need to pay the difference. Reservations that are checking out after the parks open on July 11 will need to pay the difference.

Actually, several TAs have been told that guests who keep dates will Be moved at no cost difference...they just have to take what they get.

Monday is the day we will know for sure.

I have read that Disney is moving people from other resorts like All Star Sports to DVC properties. I understand their desire to consolidate what they have to clean and number of staff needed to hire. That said the wear and tear on DVC does not seem to be fair to those who pay the dues for maintenance. I would hope Disney takes in to account that there should be a reduction in what we pay, especially when people who do not understand the meaning of a home resort.
PS I know that will never happen as this is about saving money and not member satisfaction.

Every day of every year there are non-members at all the DVC resorts. This may make it a larger percentage but other than that it's no different than what's been going on for years and years.

Under the "breakage" terms of the timeshare documents, Disney can put non-DVC members in any DVC rooms that are still unreserved at 60 days out. If that is what is happenning, the members have no basis at all for any reduction in dues, since as a DVC purchaser/member, we expressly agreed it could be done.

Under the "breakage" terms of the timeshare documents, Disney can put non-DVC members in any DVC rooms that are still unreserved at 60 days out. If that is what is happenning, the members have no basis at all for any reduction in dues, since as a DVC purchaser/member, we expressly agreed it could be done.
I'm okay with it as long as its 60 days or less. I'm not okay with it if there is availability say in Oct and they are taking rooms from DVC availability (either existing or if a member cancels).

People being moved to DVC rooms are paying the price difference. It's no different than someone deciding to stay at a DVC resort with cash instead of points.
actually if they keep same reservation dates there is no upcharge and they don't have to pay for the upgrade to DVC from value resort. if they decide to move their travel dates then they have to pay the upcharge in cash due to room upgrade.

I'm okay with it as long as its 60 days or less. I'm not okay with it if there is availability say in Oct and they are taking rooms from DVC availability (either existing or if a member cancels).
Those 60 days or less are breakage rooms, remember Disney also still owns/controls a substantial number of points at each resort, and they may use them however they wish, including regular cash reservations. It is not unusual at all for Disney to upgrade cash guests from Value resorts to DVC studios and one bedrooms. It happens all the time. At the newest resort, Riviera, there is also undeclared inventory...meaning that not all of the resort is DVC, yet. Inventory is added to DVC when they run low on points to sell, then they declare the next section into DVC...so there is a substantial part of Rivera that is currently not controlled by DVC. This is the norm with every new resort until it sells out.

But DVC gets paid for those rooms, right? Wouldn't that income be added to the accounting for next year?

But DVC gets paid for those rooms, right? Wouldn't that income be added to the accounting for next year?
A percentage of Breakage room income (60 days or less) is reflected in dues. If Disney is using points they control, they do not give a percentage to DVC, other than the dues they pay on those points., so it would not show as a line item. Plus I think there is a cap on the amount of breakage income DVC can receive. It is the same as an individual owner renting out their points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter