Mousecellaneous - a thread to share non-DLP related posts

Hey y'all...

This should probably go on the WDW forum but I would appreciate some guidance from those that go to both DLP and WDW in terms of cost and what to expect...

I'd love to go next summer with my mum and dad, but would not have a clue where to start. My mum (and myself) are not very heat-friendly, and my mum is a heavy smoker who says that the flight time with no ciggie is enough to dissuade her a bit...!!! Dad never been to Disney and is a major golf fan, but I have no doubt he'd love Disney (and hate the queues...)

I would really appreciate any advice from those that have been before - where to stay, best value - and the minimum amount of time to see the major sights. I would love to see most of the theme parks (none of us are beach fans) and the shopping malls...any preliminary advice would be appreciated from fellow dlp and wdw fans :goodvibes

i can see where your coming from, i really want to go back to WDW but i'm thinking in a few years time- but i've never planned a trip there and i find it really overwhelming- theres so much to choose from and decide and thats just going the disney parks let alone, universal, discovery cove, seaworld etc plus lots of pennies to save as i'm thinking of a full on 3week holiday there- therefore i have started to look at bits of stuff now.
Go on the uk wdw site and order a disney planning kit,- you get a dvd and info about tickets/hotels etc, and order a brochure which gives you more detailed info- the dvd is really helpful- i ordered mine beginning of last week and it came monday this week.

When we go we go for 2 weeks and find that is just about right for us. We stay on site (if you are looking to do things cheaper the value resorts would be your best bet, although persoanally I would save up a bit more and stay at a moderate if you can) we do the Disney parks, plus days out to other parks (Universal, Sea World, Busch Gardens) plus other places such as Kennedy Space Centre and days out shopping. If you want to sell it to your dad WDW has quite a few top class golf courses your dad could have a few games on!! We stay DVC at WDW at the Beach Club Villas so I'm not up to date on current dining plans, park passes etc but I'm sure others will be able to help you out there. Going in the summer it will be hot and humid, but we have not really found this to be a problem, just take mid day park breaks for a swim!

i couldn't afford to stay on site - so i stayed at the radisson in kissimee - a nice four star hotel - with a free GREAT shuttle service - very regular to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot.
It also has a free bus a day to universal/Sea world.

the hotel is about a ten minute ride to the magic kingdom - fab.:cool1:

have you ever been to DLP? if so - it is very different in size compared to WDW. you can walk from the disneyland park to the studios at DLP - but you have to get buses everywhere on the WDW complex.

obviously a two week holiday to wdw is much more expensive then a 2/3 day trip to DLP.

have fun planning. :)

You'll find plenty of advice on the UK planning board. You can also order the planning dvd and have a look on the WDW Disney site.

However, if you are not good with heat I wouldn't recommend the summer. Florida is VERY hot and humid in the summer. DD and I coped well last summer but DH hated it. The key is to start early, have a break during the middle of the day and return in the evening. Get plenty of rest, never stop drinking and take advantage of all the air con in attractions, restaurants, shops etc. If you were thinking of late August/early September then you can often get free dining added to your package if you book at a certain time - I think it's usually Sept - Nov. It is usual to have daily thunderstorms although last August we only saw 3! Summer is also hurricane season.

WDW is huge and you will spend a great deal of time travelling between parks/resorts etc. If you stay on site you will have all the free transport which is good. If this is your first time I would recommend a package rather than trying to book everything separately. You also have all the other parks like Universal, IOA, Seaworld, Discovery Cove, Aquatica. If you like shopping you can spend a large amount of time enjoying this in air conditioned malls. With an attractive exchange rate shopping is quite cheap and many things about half the price you pay at home. Pack light and shop till you drop!! There is just so much to do and the water parks are great fun and a lovely way to cool off and relax.

I think the nearest beach is about a 90 minute drive away but you will find plenty in Orlando to keep you busy for a 2 week holiday and then you won't see and do everything.

Where you stay will depend largely on your budget and likes. If you don't want to drive then I would recommend staying onsite. The All Star and Pop Century resorts will be the cheapest. I think you will find the accommodation better value than DLP although don't forget that in the USA most hotels are room only so you don't get an included breakfast. The Disney hotels are also much better maintained than DLP and the CM's are just so friendly and very helpful.

The flight is 9/10 hours but if you have good entertainment you'll find time soon passes.

If you have any specific questions ask away and I'll try and help. I've been to DLP too many times and WDW 3 times.

I'll pop this over to Mousecellaneous :thumbsup2

As we are planning our first trip to WDW in October 2009 I'll be looking for all the experts here to chip in :goodvibes

I'll be note taking too lol, altho i'm not planning to go just yet, i still have soo many questions but i dont know where to start when it comes to WDW lol yet DLP thats no prob at all.

I'll be note taking too lol, altho i'm not planning to go just yet, i still have soo many questions but i dont know where to start when it comes to WDW lol yet DLP thats no prob at all.

There is some great guide books out there and of course the UK planning forum - there is always someone can answer your questions - just like here!!!!

Yes i was going to buy both WDW and DLP Brits guides next week,i'm trying not to think about t too much as i'll get too excited about it and just drive everyone mad talking about it lol.

Some of my inital thoughts are:-
Firstly we would really like to go for 3 weeks- would prob want a moderate hotel- but dont know which would be nicer? but if i had my way we'd splash out and stay in the Animal kingdom one but it'l be rather pricey.
I'm also not sure on when to go - my first thought was Sept but then my Bf said he would like to avoid hurricane season altogether- so then i got to thinking maybe Arpil/ May would be good?
As it would be our first time on our own we dont facny getting a car or driving- so would need to use disney transport- but we would also like to go to seaworld- i really have a need to see the dolphins again lol& prob would want to go to universal- but is there buses ect we can get to them from disney?or we could go and stay a few nights in a hotel nearer there, but then that might makes things more confusing.
The other thing- is it best to book everything sep or go for a package with WDW? as with DLP its cheaper to do sep but i'm not sure if this is the case with WDW- i have done a few calulations so far and its coming out around 2000/3000 doing it separate.

We've been twice, first time was for two weeks, second time was for three. Obviously I preferred going for three ;) but it did bump the price up so suspect it will be for two weeks next time.

I'd love to stay on-site, especially at Animal Kingdom Lodge (it's my dream to buy DVC there one day :cloud9: ) but we just couldn't afford it so have stayed offsite both times. I don't mind this, having never stayed onsite, but don't know how I would feel about this if I had. :confused3

Both times we went end March/first couple of weeks in April ~ the weather is absolutely perfect then. It's hot like our summers (when they're hot :goodvibes ) with very little rain. We had one day on our first trip and two on our second. We were there over Easter both times but found the cowds were manageable so long as you got to the parks early and used fastpass but if you can avoid the school holidays it will be not only less busy but cheaper flights too!

Although our hotel had a shuttle service we had our own car. IMO the off-site shuttles are fine for adults only but not so good for kids.

If you decide to stay onsite but don't want a car, then I'd suggest you did what my friend who visited same time as us but didn't want to drive did ~ she stayed 5 days at a hotel near International Drive in order to visit Sea World/ Discovery Cove/Busch (there is a shuttle coach that takes you there) / Universal. You can get the I-Trolley up and down International Drive, there are also the Lynx buses. Then she transferred by taxi to WDW for a 9 day stay for all the Disney parks and used Disney transport from then on. She said the taxi fare wasn't ridiculous, it was equivalent to what you'd pay here in the UK, so not something you'd want to fork out for every day.

We booked a package both times as it worked out cheaper than DIY. It probably won't be next time as my eldest DD will be classed as an adult ~ so we'll go DIY then. If I was you, I'd price a holiday up with Virgin on their website then work it all out separately. If you join their Flying Club you can get 10% off their packages or flydrives.

Happy planning! :goodvibes

I just watched both.....

WOW WOW WOW :cheer2:

WDW in Florida looks out of this world, absolutely amazing, there is soooo much to do and see.
I would LOVE to go there when the children are older, i wouldnt go now with youngs kids, would probably be too much for a toddler and we wouldnt enjoy it as much.

How long would you say that you need in WDW to enjoy it, to be able to see everything without rushing?? Also enough time to swim with Dolphins and do a spot of shopping in Florida :rotfl:

Im guessing 3 weeks :confused3

Would it cost thousands to go for 3 weeks and enjoy everything???
Im guessing it would cost quite a bit for:

Flights
Decent Hotel
Tickets for all parks
Spending money for: Food, souvieners, swimming with dolphins, oooh and a spot of shopping for bargains in Florida :scared1:

ooooooh it would be sooooo soooo lovely :dance3:

Hi

For those of you who are interested here's a video montage of the best bits of our summer trip in July '06 to Disneyland Paris.

This montage was only my 2nd attempt at a video project and the footage was mainly shot on my digital cameras (Canon S3 IS and Sony T9) as opposed to my video camcorder - digicams are so much easier to carry around the parks!

Any feedback is gratefully received!

Here's the link for the video: http://www.haighgannon.com/dlp_jul06_vid/index.html

Other videos such as Orlando '07, Stunt Car Show and Disaster Canyon can be found on the Disney Holiday page of our website at:
http://www.haighgannon.com/disney_page/index.html

Patrick

We've been twice, first time was for two weeks, second time was for three. Obviously I preferred going for three ;) but it did bump the price up so suspect it will be for two weeks next time.

I'd love to stay on-site, especially at Animal Kingdom Lodge (it's my dream to buy DVC there one day :cloud9: ) but we just couldn't afford it so have stayed offsite both times. I don't mind this, having never stayed onsite, but don't know how I would feel about this if I had. :confused3

Both times we went end March/first couple of weeks in April ~ the weather is absolutely perfect then. It's hot like our summers (when they're hot :goodvibes ) with very little rain. We had one day on our first trip and two on our second. We were there over Easter both times but found the cowds were manageable so long as you got to the parks early and used fastpass but if you can avoid the school holidays it will be not only less busy but cheaper flights too!

Although our hotel had a shuttle service we had our own car. IMO the off-site shuttles are fine for adults only but not so good for kids.

If you decide to stay onsite but don't want a car, then I'd suggest you did what my friend who visited same time as us but didn't want to drive did ~ she stayed 5 days at a hotel near International Drive in order to visit Sea World/ Discovery Cove/Busch (there is a shuttle coach that takes you there) / Universal. You can get the I-Trolley up and down International Drive, there are also the Lynx buses. Then she transferred by taxi to WDW for a 9 day stay for all the Disney parks and used Disney transport from then on. She said the taxi fare wasn't ridiculous, it was equivalent to what you'd pay here in the UK, so not something you'd want to fork out for every day.

We booked a package both times as it worked out cheaper than DIY. It probably won't be next time as my eldest DD will be classed as an adult ~ so we'll go DIY then. If I was you, I'd price a holiday up with Virgin on their website then work it all out separately. If you join their Flying Club you can get 10% off their packages or flydrives.

Happy planning! :goodvibes

Thank you for your advice,very helpful and i will look into it some more- i know we can do it in to week as that how long we went last time with my bf's family but i'd really love to try and go for three weeks- just to make it extra special- with it being our first time on our own.

Hi

For those of you who are interested here's a video montage of the best bits of our summer trip in July '06 to Disneyland Paris.

This montage was only my 2nd attempt at a video project and the footage was mainly shot on my digital cameras (Canon S3 IS and Sony T9) as opposed to my video camcorder - digicams are so much easier to carry around the parks!

Any feedback is gratefully received!

Here's the link for the video: http://www.haighgannon.com/dlp_jul06_vid/index.html

Other videos such as Orlando '07, Stunt Car Show and Disaster Canyon can be found on the Disney Holiday page of our website at:
http://www.haighgannon.com/disney_page/index.html

Patrick

Just wonderful :goodvibes your WDW video really took my back- for a moment i was there again. Really nice to see discovery cove and bush gardens- i have always wanted to swim with dolphins but i'm abit unsure about it- plus my BF wont come with me as he has a thing about water lol dont ask!!:rotfl: so i'm not sure if there we be any point in going there as much as i would love too :rolleyes: but would love to got to bush gardens - looks wonderful :thumbsup2

ooohhh i'll nosey at these later(when i'm not meant to be doing work lol) my bf really wants to go to tokyo one day- maybe we could detour to disney there too lol

Has anyone seen these Adventures by Disney?- only found out about them when i got the WDW planning kit.

wow it looks like it all goes on in tokyo some fantastic shows ,lots of different things seems like more theatre type shows

Was Tokoyo disney all in Japanese?
I would like to go there but would be scared to because of the language barrier.

i believe most cms are bilingual and most japanese learn english at school, so shouldnt be a huge problem i wouldnt think!

There's not too much of a problem with English at Tokyo Disneyland, but it is hard to get around Japan on your own if you don't speak any Japanese. A major problem is being unable to read Japanese characters, such as on a restaurant menu. Also Disneyland is a long way out of Tokyo which means navigating the transport system unless you are on a guided tour. Not impossible by any means, but not simple, and very crowded depending on what time of day you travel.
I lived in Japan for 3 years and went to Disneyland 3 times I think, but it was a long time ago and I think the park has changed a great deal now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter