Monorail traveling with door ajar...yikes!

How many times have the doors managed to open and close properly before this one fault? Mechanical things malfunction all of the time, especially things that are in use almost every day of the year for 14 hours a day.

Another case of people who cannot wait to jump on the Disney Is Letting Things Fall Apart Bandwagon. One time does not a massive problem make.
Those Mark VI cars have been in use since 1989-1991. I have heard the expected lifespan is 20 years. Do the math. Disney management knows how old those cars are and how long they were supposed to last.

This is basic stuff. The most basic you can get. Minimal safety.

So it's ok if a major safety component malfunctions once in a while? Nope it's not. Not ever. Because when safety devices malfunction, people get hurt and/or die.

I'm so glad this has gone public and that there is a video of this.
Totally agree! I mean if we're going to just accept that all mechanical things fail, then I guess we should expect more airplanes falling out of the skies. I mean, they do move a lot more people than the monorail every day......

I would say a mechanical malfunction rather than an oversight. Oversight is human cause. I would think there is some sort of interlock that should prevent that from happening, either a door can't open while in motion or the monorail can't move if door open, or both safety features. Something failed.

Well, yeah, but didn't the report say maintenance was just looking at the door? They may have missed something. It could also have been something completely different. Either way, things happen.

I showed my husband the video and when watching the 2nd one he turns to me wide eyed and says 'all the way to Epcot?!' One stop around the MK loop would have at least been quick to let someone know!

This is a situation where a person could have easily lost life or limb, and still some people are inspired to shake a finger at any criticism levied against Disney?

Y'all wild. I'm certain few would argue that this forum is lacking in robust discussion of petty grievances, but an open chasm in an occupied coach traveling miles above the ground is slightly more egregious than the usual fodder.

How many times have the doors managed to open and close properly before this one fault? Mechanical things malfunction all of the time, especially things that are in use almost every day of the year for 14 hours a day.

Another case of people who cannot wait to jump on the Disney Is Letting Things Fall Apart Bandwagon. One time does not a massive problem make.
I mean, it's a pretty big deal. Someone could have easily fallen or died (especially a child). It was very fortunate that it didn't happen at closing 2hen they're packed.

It is not shocking that technology fails sometimes. Would I have been scared if I were in that car? Yes. No doubt about it! But people take one incident and all of a sudden Disney isn't doing any kind of proper upkeep. Judging from some of the posts things are held together with paperclips and rubber bands. :rolleyes:

I find it amazing that stuff doesn't break down more than it does.
Yes this what I was thinking too. It would be a little alarming if it happened but machines malfunction all the time. Fortunately there was no tragedy involved.

I’m wondering...we might have ridden in that car last week! We stayed at the Poly, so had numerous rides on the resort loop. One night, the doors were closing as usual, except that the LEFT one didn’t stay shut while still in the station. Instead, it repeatedly flopped open and shut...open and shut, many times. The cast member train attendant came over and SLAMMED the door shut. So aggressively that another guest and I made eye contact like “wow, that was a bit excessive.” When we pulled into the next stop, someone wondered out loud, “I wonder if that will happen again.” Sure enough, the door flopped open/close and had to be slammed shut before departing. Thinking back to our schedule, I think this happened Jan 3. Anyone know the date of the video? Just coincidence? If they did indeed know the door was malfunctioning, and continued to keep it in service, that’s really reckless.

This is a situation where a person could have easily lost life or limb, and still some people are inspired to shake a finger at any criticism levied against Disney?

Y'all wild. I'm certain few would argue that this forum is lacking in robust discussion of petty grievances, but an open chasm in an occupied coach traveling miles above the ground is slightly more egregious than the usual fodder.

I agree...we haven't had good line cutting thread in ages :(

I’m wondering...we might have ridden in that car last week! We stayed at the Poly, so had numerous rides on the resort loop. One night, the doors were closing as usual, except that the LEFT one didn’t stay shut while still in the station. Instead, it repeatedly flopped open and shut...open and shut, many times. The cast member train attendant came over and SLAMMED the door shut. So aggressively that another guest and I made eye contact like “wow, that was a bit excessive.” When we pulled into the next stop, someone wondered out loud, “I wonder if that will happen again.” Sure enough, the door flopped open/close and had to be slammed shut before departing. Thinking back to our schedule, I think this happened Jan 3. Anyone know the date of the video? Just coincidence? If they did indeed know the door was malfunctioning, and continued to keep it in service, that’s really reckless.

The video was from this past Saturday, the 6th, on monorail Red.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was the same monorail. Good grief.

This is definitely one thing where Disney doesn’t get a ‘stuff breaks’ pass. This is definitely a major safety issue. Safety equipment is typically required to be dual redundant and/or designed to fail safe. So if a door sensor fails, either there is a second sensor on every door as a backup or the monorail shouldn’t be able to move. And yes, they’re old but so are the vast majority of airplanes flying today and they have redundant safety features.

Unless these were poorly designed from the get go which is certainly possible, there may well be some maintenance lapse that led to this (the second sensor having failed long ago and never been fixed for example).

This is definitely one thing where Disney doesn’t get a ‘stuff breaks’ pass. This is definitely a major safety issue. Safety equipment is typically required to be dual redundant and/or designed to fail safe. So if a door sensor fails, either there is a second sensor on every door as a backup or the monorail shouldn’t be able to move. And yes, they’re old but so are the vast majority of airplanes flying today and they have redundant safety features.

Unless these were poorly designed from the get go which is certainly possible, there may well be some maintenance lapse that led to this (the second sensor having failed long ago and never been fixed for example).

The bigger fail is their "thought process" to put it nicely. According to the woman on the train who took the video, the door was broken in the station. It would not shut. Maintenance came to work on it and failed. So they just jammed it shut to get the train moving. They no sooner left the station when the door opened. Clearly the safety mechanisms don't work or don't exist as we think.

That train should have been pulled from service in the station. The decision to let it go, knowing there was a problem, knowing it could fly back open was a major failure. Everyone who says "oh well stuff happens and breaks" .............. NO ............ this was broken in the station and Disney CMs let it roll out broken with guests in it. At the VERY LEAST they should have moved those guests to another car and slapped a do not use sticker on it until they had time to really work on it.

Last edited:
The door was closed when the ride began.
I don't think it would necessarily be a good idea for the train just to automatically e-stop if a door opened mid-ride.
That unexpected stop (even if it was not overly abrupt) might cause guests to
A. Topple out.
B. Not know to NOT step outside since the door was open.

(I'm not kidding.)
I have to disagree. The monorail slowly stopping and a message over the speakers warning of the issue, would be much better then allowing the monorail to keep running like normal with the door open. Don't forget, that the monorail stops periodically during normal times for slower monorails etc. so your A & B can still happen, I think that would be a LOT worse.

Wow. I know this thread has already covered the basics of this, but just wow...

At park opening or closing, there would have been another 15 people in that compartment, with at least two or three standing in the door-frame, maybe with a hand lightly around the pole for support (before the door opened), and maybe with a folded double stroller against their shins. I think once everyone was aware the door was open, everyone would have been safely squeezed toward the middle. But in that instant that the door moved, it would be easy to lose your balance. I am not an alarmist by any means. But if this were under the authority of a larger entity like the FAA (just picking them because of air travel), I could see the entire fleet grounded pending an investigation.

1. I have to disagree. The monorail slowly stopping and a message over the speakers warning of the issue, would be much better then allowing the monorail to keep running like normal with the door open. 2. Don't forget, that the monorail stops periodically during normal times for slower monorails etc. so your A & B can still happen, I think that would be a LOT worse.

1. My comments are about the assertion that an automatic e-stop would be the best solution. It could actually be more problematic... depending on some conditions.

2. But, the doors are not open during these stops... which is exactly my point.
When there is an open door and a stopped train, people may think its OK to exit.
Guests from all over the world of every age and level of sophistication ride the monorails.
Some are seated. Some are standing.
A simple announcement in a couple of languages is no guarantee of compliance to "please do not exit at this time."

There is NO overriding solution that would cover a very real danger of an open door on a train that travels, at most times, 20-50 feet above ground, concrete or water.

Last edited:
Yes, it has.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter