Monorail traveling with door ajar...yikes!

How many times have the doors managed to open and close properly before this one fault? Mechanical things malfunction all of the time, especially things that are in use almost every day of the year for 14 hours a day.

Another case of people who cannot wait to jump on the Disney Is Letting Things Fall Apart Bandwagon. One time does not a massive problem make.

How many times have the doors managed to open and close properly before this one fault? Mechanical things malfunction all of the time, especially things that are in use almost every day of the year for 14 hours a day.

Another case of people who cannot wait to jump on the Disney Is Letting Things Fall Apart Bandwagon. One time does not a massive problem make.

I am usually the first one to think a lot of the stuff complained about on this board is an overreaction, but the fact that the monorail continued to move, with people inside and the door open, is DEEPLY concerning. Non-negotiable. Most adults know very well not to go near that open door, but children don't.

It is a MASSIVE safety issue, and it's pretty shocking the monorail doesn't have technology that prohibits it from running with an open door.

Last edited:

I agree, though this was still a major incident. It doesn't happen all the time though and was likely not because of any skimping on maintenance but rather just an oversight, albeit a potentially very serious one. I think we can all agree that those Monorail trains need a little attention in general, yet despite that, this is still the first and only time this has ever happened.

I am usually the first one to think a lot of the stuff complained about on this board is an overreaction, but the fact that the monorail continued to move, with people inside and the door open, is DEEPLY concerning. Non-negotiable. Most adults know very well not to go near that open door, but children don't.

It is a MASSIVE safety issue, and it's pretty shocking the monorail doesn't have technology that prohibits it from running with an open door.

It is not shocking that technology fails sometimes. Would I have been scared if I were in that car? Yes. No doubt about it! But people take one incident and all of a sudden Disney isn't doing any kind of proper upkeep. Judging from some of the posts things are held together with paperclips and rubber bands. :rolleyes:

I find it amazing that stuff doesn't break down more than it does.

The monorails are just plain scary now. Actually a lot of what Disney does lately is plain scary! I just don't see any advantage to the monorail resorts- actually there is a definite disadvantage!

But you don't have to take the monorail if you stay there. The main reason we stay on the loop is to be close to MK.

It is not shocking that technology fails sometimes. Would I have been scared if I were in that car? Yes. No doubt about it! But people take one incident and all of a sudden Disney isn't doing any kind of proper upkeep. Judging from some of the posts things are held together with paperclips and rubber bands. :rolleyes:

Well, the idea that there is no safety mechanism in place to prevent this – along with the host of other crashes, breakdowns, track disrepair, etc. in recent years – should raise eyebrows about whether they ARE doing proper upkeep.

I'm not saying bulldoze the thing, but there are clearly major issues they have needed to – and STILL need to – address.

Last edited:

I don’t think it’s shocking that something broke. That’s not the problem here, in my opinion. The problem is that there is apparently no safety mechanism to prevent the monorail from moving when one of the doors is open. THAT, to me, is what is surprising.

likely not because of any skimping on maintenance but rather just an oversight
I would say a mechanical malfunction rather than an oversight. Oversight is human cause. I would think there is some sort of interlock that should prevent that from happening, either a door can't open while in motion or the monorail can't move if door open, or both safety features. Something failed.

I don’t think it’s shocking that something broke. That’s not the problem here, in my opinion. The problem is that there is apparently no safety mechanism to prevent the monorail from moving when one of the doors is open. THAT, to me, is what is surprising.

The door was closed when the ride began.
I don't think it would necessarily be a good idea for the train just to automatically e-stop if a door opened mid-ride.
That unexpected stop (even if it was not overly abrupt) might cause guests to
A. Topple out.
B. Not know to NOT step outside since the door was open.

(I'm not kidding.)

Last edited:
I’m sure the uptime was overall normal, but the monorail was down 50% of the time when we wanted to use it over Xmas/NYE week (we stayed at poly). Maybe we got seriously unlucky but I’m not exaggerating. 4 of 8 Times we tried to use it, it was down and we took the boat.

Coupled with stories like this, it’s more than fair to say the monorail needs a serious overhaul.

This is basic stuff. The most basic you can get. Minimal safety.

So it's ok if a major safety component malfunctions once in a while? Nope it's not. Not ever. Because when safety devices malfunction, people get hurt and/or die.

I'm so glad this has gone public and that there is a video of this.

The monorails are just plain scary now. Actually a lot of what Disney does lately is plain scary! I just don't see any advantage to the monorail resorts- actually there is a definite disadvantage!

I prefer the boat to MK, personally, to the monorail anyway. That’s also why I’m more of a WL person.

The door was closed when the ride began.
I don't think it would necessarily be a good idea for the train just to automatically e-stop if a door opened mid-ride.
That unexpected stop (even if it was not overly abrupt) might cause guests to
A. Topple out.
B. Not know to NOT step outside since the door was open.

(I'm not kidding.)

Yeah, I was wondering if the monorail stopping abruptly while it’s already in motion and left the station is the best option. I don’t know what the answer is at that point, but I would be concerned about the scenarios you mentioned.

The whole thing sounds pretty terrifying. You always see kids walking around in the monorail cars. I’m so glad this didn’t end in tragedy.

Yeah, this is really not okay. There needs to be some serious retooling and safety measures added to the monorail system. When I think of the times we have been in one of those things packed in like sardines, and my kids when they were little standing so close to the door(not against it, just close) it makes me shudder. I am already not a fan of heights, so I would have been freaked out if I'd experienced that.

They are turning the monorail into a thrilling theme park ride. Will you fall out or not? Now they need some restraints, a minimum height, and FP tapstiles -- and they will have the next big thing.

It will never be an E-Ticket ride though because it doesn't dump you out into a merchandise shop.

Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas y cuidado sus ninos

Last edited:
It will never be an E-Ticket ride though because it doesn't dump you out into a merchandise shop.

Por favor, mantenganse alejado las puertas y cuidado sus ninos

Don't give them any ideas ....

giphy.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter