Mom and son trip: restroom question...

Originally posted by SueM in MN
These bathrooms are called Companion Restrooms, not Family Bathrooms and they are not marked on the park maps. In MK and Epcot, they are the only restrooms that are wheelchair accessible (by that, I mean that a person with a wheelchair can actually bring the wheelchair into the stall with them). The handicapped stalls in the regular bathrooms may look large, but you can't get a wheelchair into the stall and close the door. Most of the bathrooms at the Studio and almost all the ones at AK are wheelchair accessible. The Companion Restrooms are listed on the Guidebook for Guest with Disabilities for each park, but not on the park maps.
I'm not saying that they can only be used by people with disabilities, just to keep in mind that there are only a few per park and they may be the only restrooms in that whole park that some people can use.

Apologies for the mistake in semantics... and the AK map I am looking at does have them marked. Of course I would defer first use to someone with a disability if there were a line, I would still use them as a first choice in the OP's situation. I have never seen anyone waiting to use these bathrooms nor had to wait for one that was occupied anytime I have used one.

TJ

ps - the local mall calls them "family rest rooms", my bad!

Remind me bc it's been a long time since I needed the baby centers, but are there restroom facilities in there? That may be a good alternative, even though a 7 yo is no baby of course!

Originally posted by mcnuss
Remind me bc it's been a long time since I needed the baby centers, but are there restroom facilities in there? That may be a good alternative, even though a 7 yo is no baby of course!

I believe that there are restrooms in the baby centers...I seem to remember running in there after I was done nursing...I was going to suggest the same thing...That's where I'll probably be the majority of the time, since I'll have a 2 yr old (in diapers) and a 4 yr old...but you better believe my 4 yr old isn't going in alone if we use the regular restrooms outside of these centers!

By the way, my 4 yr old try to get nosy in the bathroom, but I don't let him get there since I see catch him before he does it...but I really don't see a child over 5 doing that...

IMHO, do whatever works best, if you can manage to use a child care center/family restroom/whatever then do it, otherwise, just take him in with you...tough if other people don't like it, it's not like you're taking your husband/boyfriend in with you...:rolleyes:

Apologies for the mistake in semantics... and the AK map I am looking at does have them marked. Of course I would defer first use to someone with a disability if there were a line, I would still use them as a first choice in the OP's situation. I have never seen anyone waiting to use these bathrooms nor had to wait for one that was occupied anytime I have used one.
We just came back from WDW 9 days ago (4/1/03) and none of the park maps we picked up have them marked.
We didn't have to wait to use them on this trip, but have had to wait almost every time we used them on past trips. I'm sure one 7 year old biy won't be taking up that much time, but we've already waited for a family of 4 who all went in together, used that bathroom and changed their shorts for pants and sweatshirts. That took a long time, so I'm just saying if you use them, keep in mind that there might be someone waiting who can only use that bathroom.
PS. The malls here call them "Family Restrooms" too.
Another alternative is the restroom in some of the restaurants, like Tony's in MK or the Epcot WS restaurants. They are usually smaller and have only one entrance/exit. They are not usually marked on the maps - the ones that are on the maps are usually the larger ones that have an exit to the restaurant and one to the outside.

Oh well, everyone has his/her own opinion, for whatever reason.

I appreciate your responses so much! Despite the debate, it's helpful to hear comments from all sides. I feel much more "informed" and "enlightened" which can help in my decision-making process...

...but not really too much in this case. While I will always do my utmost to respect the other person's wishes, when it comes to the safety of my child and my peace of mind, my child comes first!

I think I'll feel OK taking him into the ladies restrooms with me. He's mature enough to understand how some people might be uncomfortable, but that this is one of "those" situations where we do what feels right. And there will be times, I'm sure, when it will feel "right" to let him go in the men's room. It's an evolutionary process.

This reminds me of a story: DS was still very young -- I think still in diapers. I had gone into the restroom at The Land, while we waited for our PS time. DH had DS with him (I think they were playing ring-around-the-rosie in the common area--isn't it funny how you remember certain things?). While I was in my stall, I was listening to a Mom who had her young child with her in another. I was thinking to myself that "that will be me in a couple of years." When all of sudden the child blurted out: "I'm a little boy 'cause I have a *****, right Mom?" I don't remember if the Mom said anything, but I just grinned and thought again, "yep, that will be me in a few years!" And it was: DS & I had that exact same conversation a few years later. So precious!

Oops, looks like I've been censored, but I think you all know what I mean.

Whenever I've been in the ladies rooms at WDW or anywhere else I've seen kids of all ages and genders. I don't care! I go in a stall with a door and shut the door. If a 7 year old sees me wash my hands or face or adjust my shirt that's okay by me! Bring your kids in and keep them safe, please!

This is a non-issue--all parents need to do what is best for them. Remember--in many countries the restrooms are unisex anyway.

What ever happened to the old saying "It takes a village to raise a child?" (I believe it is an african proverb)...

I am embarassed as a woman and as a mother that this question even needs to be addressed.

Is not the saftey of a child more important than somebody being "uncomfortable"? As an adult I would put my own needs aside for the saftey of ANY child..

My advice to any Woman who is uncomfortable or would even question this situation " would be to DO THE RIGHT thing and WAIT until the CHILD is taken care of and then go about the rest of your life (oops I mean day).!!!

No question about it for me. I would most certainly take him in the ladies room. If someone was to say something~OH WELL!!!!
In todays crazy world you can't be too safe.

I can't belive that you don't belive a 7 year old would peak! Yes he is going to peak! At that bug going across the floor, at that automatic toilet as tries to figure out how to make it flush again, at the hand drier as he sees how many times he can push it before mom yells at him, and at the mirror to see if he can see himself yet and if he can, how many silly faces he can make.Seven year old little boys are inocent! That why we have to protect them by taking them in to the bathroom with us when necessary. Yep, raising a DS, have 4 DNs and have taught young children for too many years. The adults might have a problem but not the kids. Do whatever is needed to keep them safe .

Jjordan's mom

Oh, my! Thank goodness for the sane responses on this thread!!! To WDWDaisy, a 7-year-old is a man?? My three boys may be fifteen before I let them in alone! Of course, they will probably be bigger than I am at about twelve and too large to drag in with me! LOL
I do think the family restrooms are a good option when available...especially to ease the discomfort of those embarassed little boys. Because, believe me, no little boy WANTS to be in a ladies restroom. They can't possibly understand the dangers lurking out there, though. It is up to us, their loving mothers and fathers, to do what is best for them even when it is uncomfortable.
Think about this, you see MUCH more of the human body exposed on your average day at a water park (or even at MK sometimes with the style of pants nowadays) than you will see on an average female coming out of a stall to wash her her hands and straighten her clothing. And, most people even do THAT in the stall, unless many people are waiting. The only confusion I see about this issue is that at our preschool, boys and girls use separate bathrooms (no strangers in building). Other than that, they ALWAYS go with me. I really do feel for fathers with daughters...but then again I would expect more danger in a men's bathroom than a woman's, that is JMO.

I agree that you should do what works best for you. I can't see too many ladies being annoyed! I always made a beeline for companion/family restrooms whenever we could until DS turned 10 just recently. Now I yell and make him yell back unless he moves like lightning.

I noticed that WDWDaisy never mentioned how old her DS was? Most likely because she has none. As far as I'm concerned it is a parent's responsibility to keep their child safe first. Keeping the rest of the world from being offended falls WAY, WAY, WAY down on my list of priorities. People who are not parents and have had no experience have no right to judge us for keeping our children safe.

Obviously this topic is bringing out lots of strong opinions. I ask that everyone please remain respectful of each other.

As a mother of an 8 year old son, I can certainly appreciate this dilemma. I have brought him into the ladies restroom with me before, and let him go on his own, depending on the situation.

The companion restrooms are great if they are available, but I really don't see any problems with bringing a young child in the restroom with you, if you have no other choice. Anyone who is the mother of a little boy knows that when they have to go, they have to go NOW. It may not be feasible to seek out a companion restroom.

I have 3 daughters, so luckily I don't have such a dilema. I certainly wouldn't consider a 7 year old boy as a sexual deviant trying to get his jollies in the ladies restroom. (not just little boys "peek". I've had little girls poke their head under my stall and grown women stand looking straight into the crack of the door.)I have been in many public restrooms where a mother brought her son in with her. Most times the boy was complaining that he didn't want to be there. I say do what you feel comfortable with and know that WDW is a family oriented place and MOST will understand exactly why he's in there with you. BTW, the story of the little boy on the camping trip was going through my mind while I was reading this thread also. Sometimes you can never be TOO overprotective. Goodluck. I know you will make the right choice.

OK, I don't have a son at this time only a DD. At what age do you think it is not right to take a DS into tha womans bathroom. Yes I know there are sickos everywhere, but there are many good people in the mens/boys bathroom at WDW. It makes me sick when you see mothers taking there DS into the Womans bathroom when 1 there is a DH right there and to lazy to do it. This is a vary touche topic and looks like I am the only one on my side. As for the person that said she would take her DS(15) into the womans bathroom, BIG PROBLEM!!!!! (I hope she was jokeing) If a parent plans things out right, taking a DS or DD into the wrong bathroom should not happen. As for all you that think a 7-10 year old will not look into someone else stall, think again, not just the boys do this but when you bring your DD into the bathroom with you, they look also. I hope this dose not set things off again, but just my 2 cent on this topic.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

OP specifically mentioned this was a solo trip with her son, therefore no "man or dad" to take him to the restroom.

Children or adults not respecting your privacy is another issue as are lazy dads, neither example applies in this instance.

Since I travel alone with my girls often I understand the little "difficulties" that can arise. Luckily we don't have the restroom issue but I totally understand the OP's situation and respect her right to make the decision.

TJ

I have 2 sons and 2 daughters and can appreciate this problem. My husband is not always with me and it does present a problem. I do use the family bathrooms when practical, letting the boys go in while I wait outside and then vice versa.

I do not believe a 7 yr. old is too old to go into a restroom. They are there to go to the bathroom and leave.

I unfortunately knew of someone who hesitantly allowed her son to go into a pubic bathroom and after watching a man leave the restroom, waited patiently for her son to exit. After a few more minutes, she entered the bathroom to find that her son had been attacked and left to die.

No one should feel uncomfortable in a situation like this, especially at WDW. Although it is a magical place, that does not mean that it is without crime.

A Mom has to do what she thinks best and protect her children!

I never have a problem with little boys in the Ladies Room -- my sons however absolutely refused after the age of 5 to go in. I mean their teeth would be floating and they would not go! Since it was two of them I used to send them in together, stand by the door and if they took too long I would prop the door open and yell to them, if they still took too long I would say OK I'm coming in on the count of 3 and they would always be right out the door.

Originally posted by Disney845
I can totally understand your concerns about leaving your son alone to go into a bathroom by himself. However you must also think about the comfort of others. Seven seems to be a bit old to be bringing a boy into a women's restroom. My suggestion, as has been mentioned before is to use the "Family Restrooms" whenever possible.

This is an approximate location of where these restrooms can be found.

MK

The lower level of Cinderella's Royal Table
Splash Mountain
Mickey's Toontown Fair
Transportation and Ticket Center East

EPCOT

FutureWorld East Block opposite Test Track
FutureWorld West Block opposite the Land
Near Canada
Near Morocco
Near Spaceship Earth

MGM

Opposite the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Opposite Star Tours
FANTASMIC!
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith

AK

Safari Village opposite Flame Tree Barbecue
Harambe Village in the Mombasa Marketplace
Chester and Hester's Dinosaur Treasures in Dinoland

I obtained this info from the disneydollarless site, so I am not sure how complete of a list this is. I am sure you can call ahead to WDW or ask at guest services in each park where these restrooms are located so that you and your son can both feel safe, while at the same time not affecting the comfort level of others in the women's restroom.

Personally I would take him with you. My kids' safety is much more important then making others uncomfortable. Who is going to get uptight about a 7 y/o in the bathroom anyway? I know it wouldn't bother me and I wouldn't care what anyone else thought. As long as he isn't peeking under the door then what is the harm?

Originally posted by WDWDaisy
At some time you have to trust your DS. I think 7 is way to old to be going into a WOMANS bathroom. It does not say Women & little boys. WDW has many family restrooms, USE THEM. I don't want a seven year lond boy in the womens bathroom. Seven year old boys are going to look where ever they can and that means between doors and under the walls. And yes there is a difference between being in the big cities and being in WDW, and if your can't see that then you have a BIG problem!

I don't think the OP doesn't trust her DS. I think it has to do with trusting others in the bathroom. Why should she have to be a nervous wreck and let him out of her site every time the kid has to go? I wouldn't let my kid walk across Main Street and grab a drink by himself so I certainly wouldn't let him go in some bathroom where some pervert could be waiting for the chance to do something. So there are no perverts in WDW? They all hang out in the big city bathrooms? ROFLMAO! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter