Mom and son trip: restroom question...

CaseyJr

Remember The Magic
How do you Moms & Dads handle this one?

In May, DS, 7, and I (Mom) are taking a solo trip to WDW. I'm perhaps a little over-protective, but since it's just the 2 of us, I'm not comfortable letting him go into the "men's" room by himself. Do you think it would be a problem (ladies??) to take him into the "ladies" restroom with me?

When he was younger, it was NEVER an issue -- he went with me if it was just the 2 of us. And being the mom of a son, it has never bothered me when other moms take their sons into the ladies room -- I understand!

Feedback??

My son is only 5,but even if was 7, I would take him in the ladies room. You are going to be down there at a very busy time. Go with your gut feeling. just to let you know I have been called overprotective also. Thats ok, its a crazy world, we have to worry.

I would.

Did you know there are family restrooms?
They are one big room with a sink and a comode.
I have used these at Epcot and Animal Kingdom
I can not remember if they have these at MK and MGM.

hope this helps.

Keep him with you. It's worth the piece of mind. Believe me I saw lots of older boys with moms in WDW restrooms. The exception might be at a sit-down WDW restaraunt. They are smaller and a Mom standing outside would probably be secure enough. In the end it's your call. I'd rather be a little embarassed, but safe.

I can totally understand your concerns about leaving your son alone to go into a bathroom by himself. However you must also think about the comfort of others. Seven seems to be a bit old to be bringing a boy into a women's restroom. My suggestion, as has been mentioned before is to use the "Family Restrooms" whenever possible.

This is an approximate location of where these restrooms can be found.

MK

The lower level of Cinderella's Royal Table
Splash Mountain
Mickey's Toontown Fair
Transportation and Ticket Center East

EPCOT

FutureWorld East Block opposite Test Track
FutureWorld West Block opposite the Land
Near Canada
Near Morocco
Near Spaceship Earth

MGM

Opposite the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Opposite Star Tours
FANTASMIC!
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith

AK

Safari Village opposite Flame Tree Barbecue
Harambe Village in the Mombasa Marketplace
Chester and Hester's Dinosaur Treasures in Dinoland

I obtained this info from the disneydollarless site, so I am not sure how complete of a list this is. I am sure you can call ahead to WDW or ask at guest services in each park where these restrooms are located so that you and your son can both feel safe, while at the same time not affecting the comfort level of others in the women's restroom.

Go with whatever makes you comfortable. It's not like he going to see anything, so I don't know why any other ladies would be uncomfortable.

My DH faced a much worse situation as he was frequently with DD when I traveled and bc of the way Men's rooms are, he could not exactly bring her in there, if you know what I mean. He used to ask an exiting woman if there were any other doors to the Ladies room and if not, would just post himself outside. Luckily, he never found one with a backdoor so they were ok.

ps: My DH says he may be embarrassed to go into the Ladies, so if you let him go into the Men's by himself to tell him to use the stall.

Take him with you. WDW bathrooms are huge and can be confussing as to which door you exit. The problem ,if you don't take him with you is that he will have to wait outside the bathroom while you go.Even if you both go at the same time he might beat you back outside. While I can not image why any women would be uncomfortable with a 7 yr old little boy, do be considerate of other. Head him into a stall, you go quickly next door,wash up and leave. I agree that restrooms with in a sit down resturant you might fell comfortable letting him go with you standing outside but then you have to deal with him outside the restroom while you go. Do what ever you feel comfortable with.DS was a year or so older than your DS when he started going in alone at WDW. I still tried to be outside and made sure that there was only one entrace and exit to the restroom.
Jordan's mom

I don't understand why anyone would be uncomfortable with this. My son is 8, and if we are in a huge place like WDW he goes in with me! I am certainly not over-protective either. That is just not old enough to go into a huge bathroom by themselves. That is good to know that there are "family" bathrooms, but if you are not near one don't hesitate to bring him in with you. Have a great trip!!

A ds of 7 is WAY to old to take into the ladies room. At some time you have to cut the umbilical cord and it is about time. If you were in down town New York, LA or Chicago, then that might be different. But at WDW, find a family bathroom or let him be a man and stand outside the door!!!!!:D :D :D

Last summer my DD and I took our 7 y.o. into the restroom with us and will do it again this summer.

I just tell him to "keep his eyes to himself" ... if we're at a restaurant and we do let him go into the men's room I station myself at the door and say LOUDLY "okay I'm waiting right here" ... after a few minutes I'll crack the door and ask "are you okay?"

One time a man came out and told me Wm was having "problems" and that the restroom was empty if I wanted to go in ... I SO LOVE going in the men's room ... turns out the little dude had had diaherra (sp) and needed help!

Better safe than sorry and I think most women (esp. moms) understand why boys are being brought into the ladies room.

Hi , Just to let you know we have a rule at Disney you need to be 10 to go into the bathroom alone.. it doesn't apply at home ( our bathrooms around here in maine have only one way in and out.) so he know when we are on vacation he needs to come to the ladies room .. he doesn't have an issue with it as we made it clear before we had even left. Hope this helps you Michelle

A ds of 7 is WAY to old to take into the ladies room. At some time you have to cut the umbilical cord and it is about time.

1. This was uncalled for and disrespectful, the use of 3 smileys notwithstanding.

2. How old is your DS? This is a second grader, tops. Don't you remember how little a second grader is? Give the OP a break.

If you were in down town New York, LA or Chicago, then that might be different.

Why? Are the bathrooms in big cities inherently more dangerous? Or confusing? Do bad things only happen in these cities?

At some time you have to trust your DS. I think 7 is way to old to be going into a WOMANS bathroom. It does not say Women & little boys. WDW has many family restrooms, USE THEM. I don't want a seven year lond boy in the womens bathroom. Seven year old boys are going to look where ever they can and that means between doors and under the walls. And yes there is a difference between being in the big cities and being in WDW, and if your can't see that then you have a BIG problem!

WDWDaisy ... seems like you have a BIG ISSUE with having young boys in the ladies' room ... my guess it that you don't have kids.

Yes, if a family bathroom is available we would certainly use it ... I am very thankful that most women understand why young boys are being bought into the ladies' rooms!

And for the record ... my grandson certainly doesn't "peek" thru the walls of the stall except to see if it's occupied or not.

SHEESH!

Oh, and it's not a matter of trusting my grandson ... it's a matter of worrying about what kind of nut might be lurking in the men's room!

If it were me the family restrooms would be my ideal first choice. They are clearly marked on the park maps - just try an familiarize yourself with where they are. In fact if your passing one why not do the old "lets just try while we are here trick"?

If your not close enough as they aren't as plenty as regular restrooms than I would certainly take him to the ladies room. Personally I don't mind seeing a boy that age in the ladies room Although having a 6 & 8 yo I would probably realize the reason! Dh is always concerned when he take the girls to a public place without me.

I remember one trip when a gentleman approached me just outside the ladies room by the Ariel grotto. I was entering with my girls when he explained (very nicely but a bit worried) that his daughter had gone in alone and was taking an extra long time. He told me her name and asked me if I would check on her. I was more than happy to help but the girl would not answer me - although I figured out who she was and told the dad she was ok.

I overheard him asking her what took so long, if she was ok and why she didn't answer me. She simply stated - I don't talk to strangers, made sense to me, she had no idea her dad asked me to check!

So - if you and he are not comfortable with the idea of him using the mens room alone then do what makes sense for your family.

I have a good understanding of the extra logistics involved in traveling alone with kids as I go to WDW often with my girls since DH dosen't have as much vacation time. Lucky we are all girls!

Now - when you have waited an hour for a parade and your darling dd has to go to the bathroom that's another story!!! We have lost more spots this way, sigh.

Have fun

TJ

My middle son is almost 9 and He still has to go in the ladies room with me and will continue to do so. He complains loudly, But, I would rather have him safe and mad, Then take a chance, I am not sure why a small boy in a seperate stall would make anyone uncomfortable? Does anyone remember the 11 year old boy a few years back, who was murdered in the bathroom while on a camping trip. there was a family that did everything by the book, did not allow him to go alone, checked the bathroom, no one appeared to be in there. and the aunt waited outside the exit. I know this is the exteme but all it takes is just one evil animal to cross paths with your child, Just one. My son will be in the ladies room, and it may make people uncomfortable, and he sure is not happy about it. But as I said he is safe.

twinmomplus2, when I was reading this thread, the incident you talked about was in my mind. That little boy (I think he was 8) went on a camping trip with his aunt and uncle. His parents had never let him go into a public bathroom by himself. His aunt let him go in by himself-for the first time ever-and he was molested and killed. WDWdaisy either doesn't have children or needs to have her head examined if she thinks it's ok for a child as young as 7 to go into a public bathroom by himself. I didn't realize that WDW screened for pedophiles before they admitted people into the parks-just because it's WDW doesn't mean that you let your guard down, not even a minute. My boy/girl twins are 5 and there is no way my son will use a public restroom by himself at age 7. I don't care how many dirty looks or comments I get from other bathroom patrons. That's my child and I will do everything in my power to keep him safe from the sick people in this world.

Seven year old boys are going to look where ever they can and that means between doors and under the walls.

WDWDaisy, you have a very poor opinion of little boys. For heavens sakes, they do not look "wherever they can". What a statement....

And yes there is a difference between being in the big cities and being in WDW, and if your can't see that then you have a BIG problem!

No, there's not a difference between WDW and anywhere else in the world. What do you think, the bad people lurk in the cities and never leave? You actually see a difference between a bunch of strangers at WDW and a bunch of strangers at say, Yankee Stadium? When you are trying to raise a child, you make no such differentiation.

I am going to back off now before I say something I regret. As you can see, you are in the minority, THANK HEAVENS.

ps: You didn't answer my question: how old is your son that you know you would allow him in a public restroom alone at age 7?

If it were me the family restrooms would be my ideal first choice. They are clearly marked on the park maps - just try an familiarize yourself with where they are.
These bathrooms are called Companion Restrooms, not Family Bathrooms and they are not marked on the park maps. In MK and Epcot, they are the only restrooms that are wheelchair accessible (by that, I mean that a person with a wheelchair can actually bring the wheelchair into the stall with them). The handicapped stalls in the regular bathrooms may look large, but you can't get a wheelchair into the stall and close the door. Most of the bathrooms at the Studio and almost all the ones at AK are wheelchair accessible. The Companion Restrooms are listed on the Guidebook for Guest with Disabilities for each park, but not on the park maps.
I'm not saying that they can only be used by people with disabilities, just to keep in mind that there are only a few per park and they may be the only restrooms in that whole park that some people can use.

Tay and Evie's mom, I concur, This is as dangerous as any other public place, It is not free of sickos. In fact people like this are drawn to places where children congregate. Its a sad truth, But it is a truth. As for anyone thinking a little boy, would be peeking, Sorry but that is weird. I can not even imagine where that statement would come from. If you are so freaked out a little boy may see somthing. Make good use of the duct tape everyone purchased afew weeks back ,and seal the cracks in the door. Than you can be assured no one will peek.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter