• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MK no longer "dry"????

Let's keep this a friendly discussion all. Please remember that arguing is against posting guidelines. :)

^ Understood, Nikki.

I chose my words *very* carefully when I wrote that post above, and deleted more than a couple of lines, believe me. :tilt:

At any rate, I've made my opinion clear and won't be posting any longer in this thread.

I know it's a "touchy" subject here, to say the least.

:tiptoe:

Josh

^ Understood, Nikki.

I chose my words *very* carefully when I wrote that post above, and deleted more than a couple of lines, believe me. :tilt:

At any rate, I've made my opinion clear and won't be posting any longer in this thread.

I know it's a "touchy" subject here, to say the least.

:tiptoe:

Josh

I thought your post was above reproach, carefully worded and not insulting at all.
I also agree with you completely.

I'm more than a bit tired of the whole "it's not what Walt wanted" argument. Fortune 100 companies are not and should not be governed by the dead hand of their charismatic founders. Henry Ford once said that you could buy his car in any color you like...as long as it was black. Mustangs now come in more colors than are in a box of crayons. Thomas Edison was a pacifist. GE now makes missile systems. I don't know about you, but I don't want to invest my money, or trust in the future viability of any company that uses 60 year old corporate strategies, (or worse yet, off the cuff comments about having a glass of wine with dinner in an as-yet unbuilt amusement park), as its governing guidepost or its current mission statement. Just as much sky is going to fall from serving beer and wine during the dinner hour at BOG as has fallen from serving alcohol at The Brown Derby. Less, in fact, as at BOG, service will be limited to dinner only as opposed to lunch and dinner at BD. I don't know of anyone who has had their vacation ruined by the latter. We aren't talking about "drinking your way around the MK" here, so leave your Epcot comparisons at the door.

I'm almost scared to enter such a hot topic but would like to give my point of view.:flower3:

While I'm not naive and am fully aware that a large part of this decison is to boost Food & Bev revenue. Part of me also can't help but think that culturally and socially, we as a society and the average visitor are far removed from Walt's views on alcohol.

I'm French, my family is French. Not having a glass of wine with dinner can seem downright strange. We're not going to get hammered, heck we're usually not even going to finish the bottle. Soda pop is not something that is served at the table for children or adults. Different cultures, different customs.

I do honestly believe that international visitors and their increased presence do play a key role in theme park decision making. You can get a beer with your Mickey D's trio in France (mmmm, Royale with cheese :banana: ) and get served alcohol in many movie theatres in Europe.

Walt saw the seedy side of theme parks as they existed in the 50's and hated it. As do I! The seediness, the uncleaniless......the carnies (clutching my pearls)!!!! And yes booze was a big part of that.

I do also think that culturally, alcohol is no longer simply associated with a louche underworld of taverns and bootleggers. Yes, I am aware that the disease of alcoholism is a problem in many families & communities. But it often moves beyond that of mere buzz - these are welll crafted products, an artform in the same regard as the culinary arts.

And IMHO, thematically, it fits within the confines of the B.O.G restaurant. Now, mind you, my opinion would not be the same should they be offering gallon margaritas and cans of miller lite :rotfl:

Again, just my piece of mind!

So, now that alcohol has been on the menu at BOG for several weeks, I'm wondering if any one's opinion of alcohol being served at the MK has changed, improved, evolved or worsened in the past couple of months.

I don't mean to "poke the bear" on this topic, but I'm genuinely interested in every one's thoughts on the matter.

Anyone ?

So, now that alcohol has been on the menu at BOG for several weeks, I'm wondering if any one's opinion of alcohol being served at the MK has changed, improved, evolved or worsened in the past couple of months.

You mean you didn't see the news story about the total destruction of the MK? ;)

Seriously, its a good question and I'm glad you raised it. I can't say I've noticed a difference but then again I've probably only been in the MK once for a few hours since BOG opened and even then it wasn't at night when they were serving alcohol.

I'm hoping the deafening silence is the same reaction when the MSB reopens.

Question: when the park opened, could you smoke on rides? Could you smoke while walking around the parks?

Did anyone comment that Walt, who died of lung cancer, was "spinning in his grave" when smoking was restricted?

Times change.

We had dinner at BoG during the first week it was open. Although we did not choose to purchase any wine or beer with that dinner, other tables did.
I did not see anyone stumbling out of the restaurant or wreaking havoc throughout the Kingdom! (What's to stop them from coming off the monorail like that anyway? ):confused3

The park was just as festive and energetic as always during the holidays.

I think the overwhelming silence is your answer! :thumbsup2

And Jeff, I agree- I hope we get the same silence when the MSB reopens.

I am okay with people having a alcoholic beverage with a meal such as BOG. In part because food helps stablize the alcohol. I have had the occasional alcoholic beverage in Epcot.

I have posted about F&W which does have guests who are simply drinking and nothing else. If I see a person buzzed doesn't bother me. If I stand in Epcot in the middle of the afternoon and someone's sloshing beer on me than I have a problem or seeing a person being sick in the bushes, than I might have a problem.

I am okay with them limiting beverages at F&W or making the beer sample sizes. I believe that they limited beers at Busch Gardens/Sea World when they offered alcohol there.

Plus my mother recently returned and stated that F&W was a drunken festival and she had a much better time in Feb. Even my sister thought it was bad and enjoyed Feb much better.

But I think BOG and F&W are too different animals in the drink catagory.

I don't mean to "poke the bear" on this topic, but I'm genuinely interested in every one's thoughts on the matter.

Anyone ?
I had the same question and posted this on the Theme Park board due to heightened traffic. So far, no complaints.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066883

I had the same question and posted this on the Theme Park board due to heightened traffic. So far, no complaints.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066883

Oh, I'll check it out, JimmyV, thanks. That IS a much higher traffic board, but I just prefer the coziness of the podcast unplugged board. :goodvibes

Question: when the park opened, could you smoke on rides? Could you smoke while walking around the parks?

Did anyone comment that Walt, who died of lung cancer, was "spinning in his grave" when smoking was restricted?

Times change.

That's an interesting sidetrack, nikjd68...

I'm trying my best to remember my childhood days in the parks and if people smoked on the rides themselves. (At least the indoor ones...)

I THINK that smoking was prohibited along with "flash photography" and that rule was broadcast in front of each ride on a never-ending loop tape.

But, I could be wrong.

Once again, I'm sure someone here knows....

Keep those comments coming ! :goodvibes

daraddg said:
think they should keep it dry and just serve root beer type drinks to keep with the theme,can people really not survive the day at the park without a drink? geeze hit the monorial and get your fix at one of the resorts and come back

In the immortal words of Walt Disney. " keep moving forward ".

I don't think beer and wine at one restaurant, which I will have, is going to make me a drunken slob around the park. However, it may allow me to tolerate all of the "Starbucks is ruining Disney World" crowd.

Btw. On the war to get my beer at BYG, I'm getting delicious Starbucks in stead of the former swill.

VisualArt said:
Btw. On the war to get my beer at BYG, I'm getting delicious Starbucks in stead of the former swill.

Do they serve all Starbucks drinks or just black coffee?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter