• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mission Space: Orange. How bad is it?

My sister and her family went on this about 1 hour ago. I'm trying to find out if they did Orange or Green. She is not doing well. Her husband & 15 yr old son not so good either. The 14 yo and 11yo sons are fine.

the first time I went on it, not too long after it originally opened, there were medical/nurse type people at the exit. I did not feel that great but I just wanted to keep walking. Felt better after sitting on a bench for a little while. Sounds like she is worse. I asked if there were any medical personnel and she said no.

the first time I went on it, not too long after it originally opened, there were medical/nurse type people at the exit. I did not feel that great but I just wanted to keep walking. Felt better after sitting on a bench for a little while. Sounds like she is worse. I asked if there were any medical personnel and she said no.

They don't have standby medical personnel for the ride. If your sister is really that bad off she can ask any cast member and they will be able to call an ambulance for her.

I don't do well on simulators--e.g., Star Tours usually makes me green. But for some reason I have no problem on M:S Orange.

DW does fine on simulators--with the exception of M:S Orange. She's done it several times, made her ill, she said she'll never do it again. She usually shops at Mouse Gear while I'm on it.

This is really person specific, I have no issues whatsoever on MS: Orange, I don't even consider it an intense ride, for myself, as I hardly feel any forces/motion etc. when I ride it.

Rode the orange version once shortly after the attraction opened. I didn't get sick but I was pretty anxious about the experience and stared directly at the screen the entire time. I felt a little "off" for a couple of hours after the ride but nothing major. For me the attraction just wasn't worth all the stress & that post-ride wooziness, I've never done it again. I thought maybe I'd give the new green version a try but having watched the video it still doesn't seem that great to me.

It really depends on what kind of motion sickness you get. For me, I can ride rollercoasters that flip me around and upside down and backward all day, and I also don't have any issues with free-fall rides like ToT, but I get sick riding in the backseat of a car for more than 30 minutes and simulator-type rides are usually bad news. I wanted to try M:S Orange, though, so I took Dramamine about an hour before the ride and was chomping on some gum and never took my eyes off the screen, and I still stumbled off feeling like I was going to puke. Had to sit for about 20 minutes and sip at a bottle of water before I could even think about walking around the rest of Epcot. My stepfather rode with me and he was absolutely fine, although I think he almost laughed himself sick at me :rolleyes:

Don't look away from the screen or your head will start to spin. It's the most intense ride at any of the parks.
I love all rollercoasters and extreme rides but mission space is not for me. Did orange twice and both times came off saying I wouldn't ride that again

Yes! I agree 100% with this. I LOVE all rollercoasters but Orange brings me to near blackout every time and I had to switch to the Green one.

I have stomach problems. I have the worst GERD of anybody I have heard of. The first time I rode Mission Space, I was with DW. She wanted to ride Green, so we did. It was no problem. The second time I was with my niece. She wanted to ride Orange. I was concerned, but didn't say anything. I had read to keep your eyes on the screen, so I did. I amazingly was fine, but I felt like I could have been thrown off easily. So my advice is KEEP your eyes ON the screen. Do NOT look away. Do NOT close your eyes. It works. If you potentially have a problem with your stomach, it is VERY important to follow this advice. I could be wrong, but I think that many of the people who have problems fail to follow this advice.

For those who like the Orange side, do what my son and I do... During the launch, lean your head forward and quickly turn it from side to side. The dizziness is crazy fun.

WARNING: Do NOT do that if you get motion sickness.

It really depends on what kind of motion sickness you get. For me, I can ride rollercoasters that flip me around and upside down and backward all day, and I also don't have any issues with free-fall rides like ToT, but I get sick riding in the backseat of a car for more than 30 minutes and simulator-type rides are usually bad news. I wanted to try M:S Orange, though, so I took Dramamine about an hour before the ride and was chomping on some gum and never took my eyes off the screen, and I still stumbled off feeling like I was going to puke. Had to sit for about 20 minutes and sip at a bottle of water before I could even think about walking around the rest of Epcot. My stepfather rode with me and he was absolutely fine, although I think he almost laughed himself sick at me :rolleyes:
This is me. I'm fine on TOT and RnRC, but can't do simulators. Star Tours is a little tough for me. Forbidden Journey is bad, Superman is horrible, Simpsons is even worse.

I use the scopolamine patch for Star Tours and MS. Have not tried the new MS yet (October) and will likely try green first. Motion simulators and tight spinning (Tea Cups) are my Achilles' heal even if i focus on the center of the screen. The patch has been a lifesaver for me and I've been able to enjoy rides with our son that I was previously skipping. Even helps on rides that I could do once every few hours, but with the patch I can do repeatedly like ToT, RnR and Ca Screamin'. The patch is an Rx only product and has side effects, so ask your physician or pharmacist if it could help you. Yes, I'm a pharmacist by training, but now work in pharmacy college administration so I've lost some of my Rx brain...
Mike

Think it just depends on individual. Wife gets motion sick easy and can only barely handle green once. I do orange look away from screen, take selfie of me and daughter and feel totally fine.

Meh, I always like to have a beer before hand. They space everything out perfectly. You begin to feel really heavy and then space hits, then you begin to feel way too lightheaded, then Gravity comes back. I love the ride. The takeoff is intense.
We would get along lol. I also think this ride is enhanced by an adult beverage! As for the OP, it all depends on you. I think they could make it more intense! But I love thrill rides & g forces.

Both DH and DD are prone to motion sickness. We rode as our last thing to try it when it opened. She was fine. He staggered off, gave me the stink-eye and staggered back to bed. He was fine the next morning.

I love the orange side never tried the green. I will say I have never got motion sickness from any ride but I did get a slight headache after doing the orange side two times in row.

You will be fine on the green. The green side is nothing. BUT TRUST ME WHEN I SAY THE ORANGE SIDE IS A BIG NO NO!! I literally felt like I was going to die. I kept praying to God please get me off this thing and I promise I'll never make the mistake of getting on here again.

My DH used to get motion sickness on it, however he was always acting silly and pushing buttons, looking around lol. I told him thats why hes getting sick! Just look ahead and try not to move your had around too much and you will be fine. Anytime to feel quesy in a car/plane/ride, just try to focus on one spot and look ahead and it helps greatly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter