Mission Space: Orange. How bad is it?

acrmedic

Earning My Ears
So, my wife and I are heading to Epcot tomorrow. She really wants to ride Mission Space. I am unsure if I will enjoy it. I don't really understand how it works. Does it spin around causing dizziness, or is it a centrifuge that causes heavy Gs? I enjoy roller coasters, but not rides that cause dizziness. I do work on a helicopter, so I am okay with turbulence. Thanks!

Don't look away from the screen or your head will start to spin. It's the most intense ride at any of the parks.

I love all rollercoasters and extreme rides but mission space is not for me. Did orange twice and both times came off saying I wouldn't ride that again

Also, don't drink a lot in the World Showcase just before. I know this because....a friend told me.
Meh, I always like to have a beer before hand. They space everything out perfectly. You begin to feel really heavy and then space hits, then you begin to feel way too lightheaded, then Gravity comes back. I love the ride. The takeoff is intense.

Well, even the green side has puke bags in it, so.... LOL.
There is NO WAY I would do the orange side, I could barely handle green. DH wants to go on this upcoming trip and it has been updated, so I will go, but only once!

If you stare straight at the screen like you are supposed to it doesn't make you feel dizzy as in Mad Tea Party dizzy. The simulated G's will make you feel weightless. Although I haven't been on it in about 12 years LOL. I used to ride it multiple times a trip until I hit about 12 years old.. then the super small capsule started freaking me out. I think it was the same trip I rode on the very front of RnRC. That took my breath away and scared me so much that my first time back on it was a couple of months ago :rotfl:

Well, even the green side has puke bags in it, so.... LOL.
There is NO WAY I would do the orange side, I could barely handle green. DH wants to go on this upcoming trip and it has been updated, so I will go, but only once!

I am prone to motion sickness, and we rode green. When I got in and saw the vomit bags, I said to myself, "I wonder if those are props." About two seconds into the ride, I thought, "Nope. Those are the real things." I didn't get sick but was woozy for the rest of the day. I should have exited when I saw the bags. It wasn't my brightest moment.

Last edited:
I really didn't like it and I normally have a very high tolerance for that kind of stuff. Planning to do the green mission when I return in October.

Have you been on the Harry Potter ride? If that made you queasy at all, you should definitely opt for the green mission. I think that's a good barometer.

It really depends on the person.

One family member who has gotten motion sickness on other rides in the past decided to ride it and was totally fine. Goes on it every trip.

My dad who has never gotten motion sickness in his life has gotten sick after it twice (first time he thought he might have just had an upset stomach. After it happened the second time he knew it was the ride.) He did not follow directions both times and closed his eyes. DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES. Whatever you do, watch the screen and don't turn your head.

I have ridden in maybe 30 times and never once felt ill. After the first time DH rode it, he thought the warnings were way overhyped.

I am curious about this too because I have never ridden it. I have never gotten sick from a ride-not the tea cups or Forbidden Journey or any roller coaster or TOT. I do get carsick if I sit in the back seat when my stepdad is driving though so I am not immune to motion sickness and It is really ruins my day. I dont want to get sick and spoil the rest of my day at Epcot but the new green mission looks kind of lame to me since it just orbits the earth.

Should I go for it? Would a motion sickness patch help?

I am curious about this too because I have never ridden it. I have never gotten sick from a ride-not the tea cups or Forbidden Journey or any roller coaster or TOT. I do get carsick if I sit in the back seat when my stepdad is driving though so I am not immune to motion sickness and It is really ruins my day. I dont want to get sick and spoil the rest of my day at Epcot but the new green mission looks kind of lame to me since it just orbits the earth.

Should I go for it? Would a motion sickness patch help?

Go for it! If you have no issues with those other rides, you'll likely be just fine. It's a really interesting feeling/experience for sure.

I am prone to motion sickness, and we rode green. When I got in and saw the vomit bags, I said to myself, "I wonder if those are props." About two seconds into the ride, I thought, "Nope. Those are the real things." I didn't get sick, but was woozy for the rest of the day. I should have exited when I saw the bags. It wasn't my brightest moment.

Is green that bad? I am prone to motion sickness and was going to ride Green with my DD while my DH and DS ride Orange. Now I am rethinking.....

from Disney.com:

Pick Your Level of Intensity
Mars-bound cadets can choose from 2 levels of training. Both offer the same training mission but differ in intensity. The Orange Team is the more intense training experience, while the Green Team is less intense.

The Orange Team experience uses a centrifuge that spins and tilts to simulate the speed and G-forces of a spacecraft launch and re-entry, while the Green Team experience is a motion simulator ride that does not spin.

If you are prone to motion sickness or uncertain about which level to choose, you should opt for the Green Team for a less intense but still thoroughly exhilarating experience.

Is green that bad? I am prone to motion sickness and was going to ride Green with my DD while my DH and DS ride Orange. Now I am rethinking.....

In a word, yes! If you are prone to motion sickness, I wouldn't do it. While you don't spin as you would in orange, you still get frequently jostled. Unlike Star Tours where I could simply close my eyes, the movement in Mission Space was impossible to avoid. In terms of motion sickness, it's the worst ride that I have experienced at Disney. Seriously, there is a reason that they have vomit bags!

I could have handled it when I was younger, but my equilibrium is failing me as I approach 40. I just could not shake the woozy feeling the rest of the day.

Has anything changed in the Green side to make it less vomit-inducing :sick:? They lowered the height restriction, so I thought it had mellowed out. I suffer from motion sickness and did green once years ago and never again.

I had car sickness when young/teenager as long as I don't read now I'm fine. Never felt sick on a ride, thgh I do not do big roller coasters. I love both of the mission space rides! There was a second ending the moon in orange where I felt a bit off, I closed my eyes for 5 seconds and was fine. I've done the green several times with my daughter with no issues. My husband gets sick on spinning rides so he takes a daily motion sickness pill, Bonine, and he rode green with no issues.

I was really nervous to go on orange because I would be very embarrassed if I puked, but it was really not bad at all. I looked at the screen the whole time, did not waver from "the mission ".

I felt a lot of pressure /g-force on the ride and had no feeling that I was spinning. I really felt like I was in my little space ship taking off.

I think your tendency to feel claustrophobic is more crucial on this ride. Even though you know you are on a ride, you will feel like you are stuck in a spaceship blasting off from earth. So score 1 for Disney!

I tend to get motion sickness, but on this ride, the claustrophobic feeling was terrible. I will never go on that ride again. I can't believe I survived it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter