Minnie Van- for 6 people?

No, they're built into the seat frame, so either they're there or not. I think all car seats can also be installed using the seat belts, but it's a more involved process. Using the LATCH anchors you just snap them in and tighten, and I believe it's considered safer.

The catch is that LATCH should not be used if the combined weight of the seat + child is over 65 lbs. I'm not sure of the weight of the seats used in Minnie Vans.

The seat I have for my son is quite heavy and it's totally possible I'll need to use seat belt installation before he's done with it.

Unless you need the car seats why are you paying double what Uber charges just to ride in a cute car? I don't get it!
As KrazeeK120 said, the $20 fare may not be that much more than Uber. If you have more than 4 people, for example, or need a car seat, the Minnie-van price may actually be similar...or even less depending on distance/time, pickup point/destination, etc.

And some people simply don't like rideshare, and others don't like Uber because of recent bad publicity. That's what makes a marketplace -- people have choices, and there is no ONE right answer.

Unless you need the car seats why are you paying double what Uber charges just to ride in a cute car? I don't get it!

They are equivalent to Uber XL. So right now the estimate for Uber XL from Fort Wilderness to Epcot (the path I'm interested in in October) is 16.01. Now consider the fact for Fort Wilderness they would only be allowed to pick me up at the front not at my cabin (or at least they are not suppose to drop off/pick up anywhere but the main lobby). Minnie Van can. At that point the 4 extra dollars is worth it especially once you add the tip and then many other unknowns.

They are equivalent to Uber XL. So right now the estimate for Uber XL from Fort Wilderness to Epcot (the path I'm interested in in October) is 16.01. Now consider the fact for Fort Wilderness they would only be allowed to pick me up at the front not at my cabin (or at least they are not suppose to drop off/pick up anywhere but the main lobby). Minnie Van can. At that point the 4 extra dollars is worth it especially once you add the tip and then many other unknowns.
Of course, there are still a few of us who remember the $30-$35 DDP days too!

The $20 price, like everything else, is subject to change over time. If Uber loses money at $16 with independent contractors driving their own vehicles, I don't see Disney making money at $20 driving and maintaining their own vehicle fleet and providing some benefits for their employees. The math just isn't there.

Depending on where you're going to/from, the cost difference may not be that substantial by the time you factor in the tip for the Uber driver.

Edited because I can't read.

And you don't think the Minnie Drivers will have their hands out too????

For a small party without kids it's a lot more then I have been paying for Uber. Heck I can uber to Universal for $20!

Of course, there are still a few of us who remember the $30-$35 DDP days too!

The $20 price, like everything else, is subject to change over time. If Uber loses money at $16 with independent contractors driving their own vehicles, I don't see Disney making money at $20 driving and maintaining their own vehicle fleet and providing some benefits for their employees. The math just isn't there.

For now it is $20 so that is what I will base my current opinion of the service at.

No, I don't think so. I'm sure Disney will make sure they understand the ground rules, and Disney will not have much of a sense of humor if they say no tips and some kid is hustling tips.

And don't forget, the Minnie-drivers will mostly be college kids having the time of their lives at WDW and also making a little money. They have no expense of maintaining the vehicle, they pay nothing for gas or insurance or anything else. They have NO costs. So, for them, whatever pay they get is gravy.

No, I don't think so. I'm sure Disney will make sure they understand the ground rules, and Disney will not have much of a sense of humor if they say no tips and some kid is hustling tips.

And don't forget, the Minnie-drivers will mostly be college kids having the time of their lives at WDW and also making a little money. They have no expense of maintaining the vehicle, they pay nothing for gas or insurance or anything else. They have NO costs. So, for them, whatever pay they get is gravy.

Probably won't be college kids. CPs hardly ever get assigned transportation roles (outside the boats) after the monorail accident.

For a small party without kids it's a lot more then I have been paying for Uber. Heck I can uber to Universal for $20!

Since it's not a tipped position, I highly doubt it.

Again, it depends on where you're going, but in certain situations, the price difference appears to be minimal (or nonexistant).

Actually, they required several years of cm experience to be considered for the role. I'm not positive, but I think I recognized one of the drivers in the video as an ex bus driver.

Using the LATCH anchors you just snap them in and tighten, and I believe it's considered safer.

The catch is that LATCH should not be used if the combined weight of the seat + child is over 65 lbs. I'm not sure of the weight of the seats used in Minnie Vans.
I thought the LATCH weight limit was 40 pounds, but it's been a while since we had to deal with car seats. Perhaps they're stronger now.

A proper seatbelt installation is better. It's stronger. But it's less likely to be installed correctly. LATCH is "safer" because it's more likely to be installed correctly.

I thought the LATCH weight limit was 40 pounds, but it's been a while since we had to deal with car seats. Perhaps they're stronger now.

A proper seatbelt installation is better. It's stronger. But it's less likely to be installed correctly. LATCH is "safer" because it's more likely to be installed correctly.

I have a child in a car seat now. It's 65 lbs combined.

(Also, at 40 lbs, I'm not sure what the point of LATCH would be. My seat weighs ~25 lbs. My son would have outgrown that capability before he was 6 months old!)

I have a child in a car seat now. It's 65 lbs combined.

(Also, at 40 lbs, I'm not sure what the point of LATCH would be. My seat weighs ~25 lbs. My son would have outgrown that capability before he was 6 months old!)
I think 40lbs. was the child's weight. 40+25=65, so maybe they just added it together.

I think 40lbs. was the child's weight. 40+25=65, so maybe they just added it together.
On our seat, the 40 lb child weight limit for the latch is for the 5 pt harness mode only. It says for booster seat mode, to always use the latch. Reason is that in booster seat mode, the latch is not responsible for holding the child - the latch is only holding the booster seat in - it is the seatbelt holding the child in.

About the car seat discussion:
Lower anchors can be used up to 65 lbs (combined weight of child + seat) for rear-facing and up to 69 lbs forward facing. Some car seat manufacturers choose to set the weight limit more conservatively. The maximum child's weight limit for using lower anchors can be found both on a sticker on the car seat as well as in the manual (this saves parents the hassle of needing to weigh the car seat; the manufacturer has already done that). The top tether (the T in LATCH) should be used for seat belt installation of forward facing seats when the child exceeds the weight limit for lower anchors as well as when te lower anchors are used for forward installation.

Using the lower anchors for a booster seat is for convenience not safety. It holds the seat in place so that a child can more easily use the seat belt.

Edit: I thought the top tether was used for all rear facing seats (I used it for both of ours) but I think now I recall that only some seats allow it. Also, not all cars have the tether anchor for rear-facing installation, but some seats can be tethered using the tether anchor for forward-facing installation.

Last edited:
Just saw an article today where multiple Uber drivers were filing claims that they passengers were damaging their vehicles, only to have the passengers deny it. Seems like they have a problem with proving who is telling the truth, and if the passenger can't prove they are, they are being charged an additional $150 fee. Now Uber is telling guests to take pictures of the car when they leave.

The Minnie Vans are able to go right to the MK, to bus stop number 11 whereas taxis (uber, lyft, etc) must go to the TTC. I see this being very attractive to many families with PPO dining reservations. We usually get to the bus stop no later than 6:30 AM for an 8 AM dining reservation (we do allow extra time and often are glad we did). If we could use a Minnie Van, we could leave a bit later (probably 7:00 or even a little after).

I think the same could be said of families with early morning character breakfasts at the resorts. Resort-to-resort transportation is a pain. We have tried going on a bus to the MK and then monorail or boat to the CR for breakfast at CM, but this takes so long! We have to be at the bus around 6 AM to do this! We find it easier to just take uber to the CR. From Pop Century, once we add in a tip (we tip about $5 as the drive almost always helps us get the stroller into the trunk), it comes very close to $20. So it is very much worth it to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter