Michael Myers returns..and so do we....19 Fabulous nights of HHN, RP & SF Sept/Oct 2018

There was a whole load of these signs and pink flamingos all bringing people`s attention to breast cancer, with all sorts of info and statistics...…..and some very inspirational stories among them. They were all around the lake and very striking they were too.

i-XrqqcQD-XL.jpg

i-zvqkD4k-XL.jpg

i-qN47XHt-XL.jpg

It is a beautiful lake...….and so pleasant to walk around.....despite the heat of the day...…I do like a nice fountain...…

i-hqjQx4r-XL.jpg

You can hire those little swan things to pedal around the lake for I believe 30 minutes or an hour......and far too energetic for us....in this heat!!! No thanks...…..we did something like that in Austria once.....I swear our legs were fully numb by the end of the hour!!!! Never again...….

i-vXrL2N8-XL.jpg

i-cj8S7Nm-XL.jpg

i-tCwDJzD-XL.jpg

i-M6x8dvx-XL.jpg

And had some unique art work all around...…..

i-LqX3nPh-XL.jpg

On days like this we are so glad we are covered in sun screen...….this sun was burning!!!! But boy did we love it...……

i-XDjT6H9-XL.jpg

Narcissist moment of the day...…..

i-wtdF3tT-XL.jpg

There was a decent amount of shade as we walked around the park...….and it did cool it down a fraction, but not so you`d really notice...……

i-nqWChwq-XL.jpg

More to come...…….

My goodness, you’ve been productive, has been non-stop action here today!

Will say I surely appreciate the super-de-dooper complimentary words! Right back at you, both! It was much appreciated that you took the time to meet us for lunch, especially working within our busy schedule that day. Was surprised we were able to start the trip a day earlier than planned. We hadn’t arrived till late the night before yet felt compelled to get up early to enjoy the pool. It is among my favorites onsite, really wish they’d upgrade to a deluxe/premium, whatever the designation is to offer the FOTL perk. IMO the overall service and vibe there matches, if not exceeds the other properties.

One night is truly too short to visit there, but we wanted to experience the APH talk :thumbsup2pre HHN before we headed down to wilderness lodge on Saturday. It’s great you are are typically there for such a nice long, relaxing stay. Someday I will plan a trip where I can wake up and decide on the fly how the day will transpire.

You are wise to have skipped that Saturday for HHN, it was so busy we wound up leaving before 10 pm. Just too many people. We were alarmed it would be even worse when we returned the following Thursday but it was very do-able. I often marvel at the pics you post of the parks earlier in the trip, both during the day and the early HHN nights. Honestly, it looks deserted compared to the throngs just a few weeks later.:confused3

Was so nice to kick back and enjoy such a delicious, low-key & leisurely lunch. Amount of food we ordered looks like we were eating our last meal:blush: :drinking1but I always do my best to fully ‘spend’ that youfirst platinum credit lol. Will surely miss that perk. BTW Tia was one of the sweetest servers we have encountered in Orlando and we are so glad we finally got to try the restaurant. I do think it had edged ahead of Jakes for us. :scratchin

Looking forward to seeing you both again sooner vs later:wizard:

There was some really beautiful little areas off the main path round to the other side where the main farmers market was...….and some really nice shade...….

We were still marvelling how we had never actually come down here before......we would come back and maybe in March it would be slightly cooler then...…

i-XTs9VMn-XL.jpg

i-7TCpwZV-XL.jpg

Then we saw this little ducky and her gorgeous little chicks...…..we didn't go close as she was obviously eyeing everyone with suspicion..……

i-bW9fFZ8-XL.jpg

We came across this memorial to the Battle of the Bulge...….

i-b33f3Dk-XL.jpg

i-ssNJqf3-XL.jpg

We loved seeing so many families out for the day, some having picnics some just playing little games and some just relaxing on the grass or around the water...……

i-8dj7GV5-XL.jpg

Tom wandered off for a moment when an elderly man came and stood close beside me.....he caught my eye and smiled.....I smiled and said hello......I gather some folks find that odd, but I love talking to folks, and have always found that other folks love to talk to strangers too...….as long as it`s not odd or dodgy, but you get a feeling for folks very quickly.....well I do.....can usually sum someone up in seconds...….and this was just a little older man wanting to talk...….so we chatted and he as most folks do commented on the Scottish accent......it is a talking point to many. But, he was lovely and very gentle spoken.....he spoke of his life and how he had moved here from Texas to be with his daughter and family after his wife passed. He spoke of her with such emotion I could feel my eyes filling up......we were sitting on the bench by now and he just spoke.....I was fighting back the tears as he revealed she had only passed six months before and his life was now here......he adored his daughter, but didn't like living here...….I just held his hand as he spoke. Now I`m rather embarrassed to admit I had tears spilling down my face now......he apologised and said he was sorry....I told him no. I do like a good sniffle now and again I smiled as I said it and he laughed a little......not sure why I`ve told of that meeting as I hadn't planned to...…..it was a nice meeting.

At that both Tom and his daughter appeared...…..his daughter was lovely and said she had been looking for him...….he winked at me and I smothered a giggle....I think he had been hiding from her......she had four young kids and two dogs, so maybe that explained it...….

I gave him a hug and we set off...…..Tom asked if I was ok......I said yes and had to stop telling him the story as it did upset me a little…..but, nice man. He`s never surprised to see me talking to someone if he goes off and comes back...….nothing wrong with chatting to people, I think it`s sad some people won`t pass the time of day with complete strangers...….

The first stall we came upon was and Orchid stall and they were gorgeous.....and reminded us of RPR......they have Orchids everywhere…….

i-6JK6gwD-XL.jpg

i-WCbQJBj-XL.jpg

You can see here how hot it was by how red my face is!!! It was baking hot, but we were meeting our two friends from back home round at the food area...….we couldn't leave yet anyway...……

i-DGzvzXG-XL.jpg

i-9TLWWDF-XL.jpg

There were so many food stalls...….almost everything you could want.....and the aroma emanating from the stalls was magnificent......I could have stood near the angus burger stall all day...….oh my the aroma!!!!

i-5xnjW63-XL.jpg

Then I saw what I wanted to try...…..I love coconut anything......so when I saw the coconut ice cream stall, I knew I had to try it...……

i-Qv4R764-XL.jpg

This is an awful picture!!! Hair was flat from the heat of being under my hat...…..I just looked frazzled...…

i-NXd6L2r-XL.jpg

The coconut Ice Cream wasn't nice. It was organic which I usually avoid......it wasn't sweet like I expected.....so Tom ended up with it...….he quite liked it, but wouldn't buy it again...….

i-8q83FBD-XL.jpg

i-QjMpQmG-XL.jpg

So many stalls to choose from......and the stall we had a sample from we didn't take a picture of for some reason...…..we were sitting with Peter and Heather now.....and I had seen a stall and Tom had seen it at the same time......all I saw was spicy chorizo sausage and imagined it was a jambalaya dish......so Tom said he`d get one to sample and we could nibble on it to keep us going till lunch...….

Him and Peter came back with the plates and a drink made with fresh lime and something else....I forget now......it was lovely and very refreshing...……

The food...…..I looked at it strangely...….it certainly wasn't jambalaya...……..

It was sausage with onions and peppers...….ok...….but it was mixed with scrambled eggs and the worst thing on earth after tofu...…...grits!!!!! Who the heck invented that god awful dish!!!

I looked at it and did try the tiniest mouthful...…...yuk!!!! Peter and Heather didn't really enjoy theirs but they ate it as that was their lunch...….I told them stuff it, come with us.....lol....but they had plans to meet their daughter and we were meeting them later anyway briefly....….

A lady saw the plates and came up to ask where we had got scrambled eggs...….oh it`s not scrambled eggs I told her.....don't be fooled...….she said her husband fancied some plain old eggs...….nope......she made a face when I told her what was in it and said she wouldn't bother...…..not a fan of grits either!!!

i-QfbPFwQ-XL.jpg

Now, although we were going elsewhere for lunch I wish we had gotten something from here......this looked lovely!!!!

i-zbcH3JW-XL.jpg

Our friends had now gone to meet their daughter and we wandered around a little more...…..this stall intrigued me a lot...….as I adore hot sauce!!!!

They had sauces and rubs of most heat strengths...….and of course I would sample some of these as it did look clean...……

Boy did I choose the wrong one to start with...…….it wasn't hot hot......it was the sweetness that caught the back of my throat......so Tom thought it was the heat...….nope......sweet!!!! But, boy was I choking......bless him he did give me an unopened bottle of water for free...……

i-MgfMV2Q-XL.jpg

Tom laughed though as, as soon as I stopped choking I was straight back into tasting...…..and there were some delicious options....….
Well, we had to buy some...…….so I chose 3 sauces I had never seen before and two rubs...….more weight for the suitcases!!!!
I have to say the sauces and rubs are all gone now...….and delicious they were too.

i-M5RcgrV-XL.jpg

We began to head out of the park now.....we had seen all we wanted to see today. I think if it had been cooler we would have ambled about longer, but it was blazing hot...…..

i-TVF4cjV-XL.jpg

Despite the obvious homeless issue, it is such a pretty area...…..we really enjoyed our visit here today and would come back...…

i-4Rg8ZvB-XL.jpg

i-4XGxgW4-XL.jpg

i-JQNvhMR-XL.jpg

We walked the few blocks back up to the car and were glad to see yes, it was ok to park there...….when you don't know an area and so many places are prohibited it`s a worry you`re going to come back and the car has been removed!!!

But, it was fine...…..but we were baked...…..it was sizzling...…..we turned the aircon up as high as it would go and I used it as a cool hairdryer...…..it was nice!!!!!

And we didn't get lost making our way out of Orlando...…..

We were so glad we had made it today, it was a very friendly place and some lovely stalls and food choices.....definitely a nice place to spend a few hours...….

Up next Millers Ale House on Kirkman for lunch...…..

My goodness, you’ve been productive, has been non-stop action here today!

Will say I surely appreciate the super-de-dooper complimentary words! Right back at you, both! It was much appreciated that you took the time to meet us for lunch, especially working within our busy schedule that day. Was surprised we were able to start the trip a day earlier than planned. We hadn’t arrived till late the night before yet felt compelled to get up early to enjoy the pool. It is among my favorites onsite, really wish they’d upgrade to a deluxe/premium, whatever the designation is to offer the FOTL perk. IMO the overall service and vibe there matches, if not exceeds the other properties.

One night is truly too short to visit there, but we wanted to experience the APH talk :thumbsup2pre HHN before we headed down to wilderness lodge on Saturday. It’s great you are are typically there for such a nice long, relaxing stay. Someday I will plan a trip where I can wake up and decide on the fly how the day will transpire.

You are wise to have skipped that Saturday for HHN, it was so busy we wound up leaving before 10 pm. Just too many people. We were alarmed it would be even worse when we returned the following Thursday but it was very do-able. I often marvel at the pics you post of the parks earlier in the trip, both during the day and the early HHN nights. Honestly, it looks deserted compared to the throngs just a few weeks later.:confused3

Was so nice to kick back and enjoy such a delicious, low-key & leisurely lunch. Amount of food we ordered looks like we were eating our last meal:blush: :drinking1but I always do my best to fully ‘spend’ that youfirst platinum credit lol. Will surely miss that perk. BTW Tia was one of the sweetest servers we have encountered in Orlando and we are so glad we finally got to try the restaurant. I do think it had edged ahead of Jakes for us. :scratchin

Looking forward to seeing you both again sooner vs later:wizard:

Oh we wouldn't have missed meeting you guys.....we were glad you could fit us in!!! You did have a busy schedule...…

Yes, the difference in the crowds was massive!!! It wouldn't have been fun to go that night for us.....not surprised you left early.....our friends left around 9 as they were just overwhelmed.....oh we do enjoy waking up and deciding what to do that day...…

Tia is so lovely!! Nice girl with a real heart of gold. Oh we didn't have that much food.....did we :rolleyes1 lol...….it was lovely though and yes, glad you enjoyed it, I forgot you hadn't been there before...….

Maybe we should consider that for our December meet??? We`ll chat about that again...…..

Glad you`re still enjoying and reading along...…..:wave2:

I've read every post but haven't replied... Fantastic photos and great TR as always!

:welcome: jacksdadcan...........

Thank you so much!!!

I am so glad to read you’ve enjoyed this one too......always nice to hear......will pass comments on pictures over to Tom as he took the vast majority........may give him the job again :rotfl:

Not too long to go till it’s done........I thought it would be finished by now, but getting there.......::yes::

Thanks again for the lovely comment and for taking the time to do it........:wave2:

I love your encounter with the sweet older gentleman. What a blessing for you, and for him.

Since I was born and raised in the south, I'll have to disagree with you on grits, though!:teeth: They are a regional staple. We had some yesterday, as a matter of fact! I suppose if you'd never had them growing up, they would seem strange.

I love your encounter with the sweet older gentleman. What a blessing for you, and for him.

Since I was born and raised in the south, I'll have to disagree with you on grits, though!:teeth: They are a regional staple. We had some yesterday, as a matter of fact! I suppose if you'd never had them growing up, they would seem strange.

It was really lovely talking to him, despite being quite sad in a way......but he definitely had a twinkle in his eye with teasing his daughter I think...…..:)

lol...…..yes, they are quite an odd thing to us.....never even heard of them till we went to Florida......grit is something you kick or get in your eyes...…:laughing:

They`re kind of like oatmeal????

Beautiful park! We've never ventured to downtown Orlando. Lake Eola is lovely!

It is really lovely Patty.......and you`d enjoy the farmers market....it was a lot of fun.

We do plan to go back down that area to just explore a little.....and maybe visit Hamburger Mary`s...….:D

It was really lovely talking to him, despite being quite sad in a way......but he definitely had a twinkle in his eye with teasing his daughter I think...…..:)

lol...…..yes, they are quite an odd thing to us.....never even heard of them till we went to Florida......grit is something you kick or get in your eyes...…:laughing:

No, not like oatmeal at all. If they are very creamy grits, they might resemble risotto

No, not like oatmeal at all. I have always thought oatmeal could have sort of a slimy texture, and you never really get that with grits. If they are made with cream and stirred very often, they might resemble a risotto. Usually, grits are served with salt, pepper, butter, and even cheese. In some regions, they put sugar in grits. Yuck!

No, not like oatmeal at all. If they are very creamy grits, they might resemble risotto

No, not like oatmeal at all. I have always thought oatmeal could have sort of a slimy texture, and you never really get that with grits. If they are made with cream and stirred very often, they might resemble a risotto. Usually, grits are served with salt, pepper, butter, and even cheese. In some regions, they put sugar in grits. Yuck!

Ah, I see...….I hate risotto too......lol...…I think it`s a texture thing :sick:

I`ve seen shrimp and grits on menu`s...…..but never seen anyone eat them close by me......I don't think it`s anything I`ll ever order..…...:D

Millers Alehouse on Kirkman is a fabulous place...…..I think I said before we avoided it as we heard it was very touristy, but I guess it was I Drive place they were talking about as this place is as local as it gets......we had started going here last year and really enjoyed it...…

We parked round the back and boy when we got out the car did we feel the burn of the heat...….oh my this was sizzling...…..

We went on the back and it was busy......Sunday afternoon...….sports bar......it was going to be busy.....so we got a seat at the bar and had a look at what the options were for food......we did like the menu in here.....

i-hcDKNZv-XL.jpg

i-nBmP2kQ-XL.jpg

I ordered a glass of wine I hadn't tried yet, and it was lovely...…..

i-vcxwF8L-XL.jpg

Tom as the designated driver, was having lemonade...….

i-VxRF5Kj-XL.jpg

This really is the friendliest of places...….staff really engage with you and make you feel as welcome as possible.....

The screens are naturally full of sports......I don't like sports in general......and our lovely bar lady was highly amused when I announced I had no clue how American Football worked as I watched a little confused.....she said some didn't understand it here either....they just cheered when everyone else did......lol...…

Food was next on our list……..as I said we like the menu here and there really is something for everyone....I was glad one of our friends wasn't with us.....she orders chicken tenders......everywhere!!! She has the dullest palate on earth...…..her husband always tells her she`s not 5 anymore!!!

I had enjoyed the steak here a couple of times, it was cooked surprisingly well for how inexpensive it was......so I thought I`d get it again...…...with boom boom shrimp, sweet potato fries and coleslaw which I have to say their coleslaw isn't the best, I prefer a creamier coleslaw...….and Tom went for half rack of ribs and fries and we shared the shrimp...….

i-TPKNsq6-XL.jpg

i-Hz45wpD-XL.jpg

i-RQRsq97-XL.jpg

Tom`s ribs were fall off the bone beautiful......and my steak was perfectly rare.....it was tasty for the price of around $16 that's for sure...….and the boom boom shrimp was just alright.....not spicy enough...…..

But, we genuinely enjoyed our lunch...….and honestly, we wished we didn't have the car and could stay a little longer.....there is a fun atmosphere in here and everyone talks to you......even sitting at the bar, folks just make conversation.....of course if it was about sports on the tv in here we really don`t have much to contribute on that chatter :laughing:.......

We sat a little while longer and then paid the check and left to go back to the car......the place was mobbed by now......and everyone`s food looked phenomenal...…..

We certainly avoid touristy places at times if we can......and this place certainly wasn't touristy at all......we wanted to come back again.

We drove to ABC Wine and Liquor and had a peruse in there...….we were after some rum to take back home in the suitcase.....well wrapped in bubble wrap!!!

More to come...……

So, on to ABC Wines and Liquor......it`s way back in LBV, but we take the back route to avoid the traffic around Palm Parkway......that whole area down at Crossroads and Palm Parkway is a mess traffic wise......there isn't a quiet time and you can waste a whole load of time just sitting there....last time we went to Longhorn on Vineland we were 45 minutes from the Universal hotel to their car park......most of that was around Crossroads area waiting at lights...…..so this way you had none of that...….

This is a lovely store and staff are very personable and knowledgeable about their products...…and today we were only perusing the rum...…….

We must have spent 40 minutes in here wondering which ones to buy.....so much choice......we also picked a few up at the airport.....we do like to have a large collection of alcohol at home......we have many varieties and our home is always popular for get togethers...…..hmmm wonder why......and we do like to have some unusual choices too that aren't easily available in the UK...…

But, eventually we choose three bottles, one very large that we vehemently hope will survive in our suitcases...…..the lady at the till tells us we need one of their loyalty cards......lol...…..

We head back to the hotel and as we pull in to the valet it`s one of the guys we know well who opens the door for me...….he asks if we have anything in the trunk, I say yes and you`ll like it...…..he does smile when he sees the rum and we end up having a lovely conversation about......yep, rum!!!!

Back up to our room, we get out the bubble wrap and get them taped up and will then wrap them up in clothes when we do get packed up......which isn't too far away now...……

Back in a mo...…..

I'd love to hear more about back roads in that area, because it always seems like it takes forever for us to get around because of traffic. Are you just following GPS? As often as we visit Kissimmee and Orlando, you think we'd be better at navigating the back roads! I guess I've always been hesitant

I'd love to hear more about back roads in that area, because it always seems like it takes forever for us to get around because of traffic. Are you just following GPS? As often as we visit Kissimmee and Orlando, you think we'd be better at navigating the back roads! I guess I've always been hesitant

Sure......happy to...….

From coming out of the Universal hotels, we turn onto Turkey Lake Road......we then turn right onto Wallace Road and keep going until we hit S Apopka Vineland Road and turn left...….and that will take you directly into the Crossroads area and the traffic that entails.........we don't hit any major junctions like the ones near Crossroads.....just a few traffic lights......but ABC wines is before we reach the main junctions...

We don't use a satnav around these areas as we know the place like the back of our hand...…

It does seem a little quicker, but once you hit the main junctions if you`re going that way it`s just traffic all the way......it`s one thing that puts us off going to that area round the 535....that and the whole area down there needs a facelift!!!

:wave2:

Thanks!! I'll try it this summer!

It`s really hard to get lost around there.....all roads seem to lead to the same place eventually...…::yes::

Anything to avoid the I 4 though for us....even Turkey Lake Road is so much busier than it used to be when we first stayed at RP in 09.....there seemed to be no one on that road......now it is busier, but still relatively quiet...…..:thumbsup2

So tonight we were going to go to HHN for a little while...….

But, yesterday as we never make arrangements too far ahead of time, I had emailed macraven yesterday to see if her and Robo56 could meet us at the Boulangerie at 6pm for a quick meet before HHN, they were doing HHN together tonight...….we had also other friends here that we were meeting up with later....they were in the park for HHN too.....but had set off to meet their daughter before her friends arrived, then we would meet up when our meet with mac and Robo was over.......…..

This was getting complicated for a meet!!!!

So mac and Robo were going to be there at six as they were going to do the Q & A Potter thing before hand......we were thrilled we could manage to meet up tonight.....so we had plenty of time to get organised……..

We did a little bit of packing and a little bit of sitting out on the balcony and a little bit of TV too...….

Eventually we got ourselves together with lanyards and set off for the boat...…..it was another hot one again tonight.....

The line for the boats wasn't too bad tonight...….but the heat while you wait there was immense.....we were glad we weren't planning to be here for long tonight......but we were so looking forward to seeing mac and Robo……

Robo I had only met once before, but we had emailed it would be lovely to see her again......mac we have known a longer time and had missed each other many times, so we were glad they could meet us.....

When we got off the boat the line to get in the park was huge!!! I was so glad we didn't have to stand in that line to just get in the park!!!

We used the hotel guest entrance and we were straight in tonight.....there was hardly anyone waiting to use this entrance...…..so we had a quick bathroom visit and went in to grab a table in the Boulangerie in case it got busy which it can do during HHN...….

This place is lovely for a sandwich or a cake...….the croissant sandwiches are always lovely......very fresh and the cakes although very large, are very tasty......but we didn't have anything as we were eating later in Strong Water...…..but we were tempted...…..

Around 6.15 I saw mac and Robo walk to a table outside...….it was just too hot for us to sit out there.....we did like the aircon!!!

It was so nice to see them both...….we had a seat inside and chatted away as we always do...….and as always time passed so quickly and before we knew it we were saying goodbye once again......and we actually forgot to take a picture of us together. But it had been lovely to meet up again.

We went out to where we saw our friends and they said they were going to take advantage and do some rides before we left.....

So we went and enjoyed Stranger Things, Poltergeist, Carnival Graveyard and then Halloween...….they were all so good and we were incredibly lucky with timing as our friends had tried to get in after us and the EP line for Poltergeist was around 20 minutes...….we had just walked on.

Halloween was a total blast tonight...….we laughed as I jumped my way from one Michael to another.....as I said, this was my favourite house for reasons that only make sense to me.....lol.....but it wasn't the best house from this years offerings...…..it wasn't even the best Halloween house they had ever done, but it was done well from the film and we had a blast in it.

We didn't do any scare zones tonight...…..we were kinda whooped in general...…we just wanted to go and sit down in the cool and have some food in a little while.....

Our friends at this point admitted they were too whooped to come back to Strong Water with us.....no issues......we kind of felt like a quiet night too...…..

So, we said our goodbyes to HHN for another year and then said goodbye to our friends by the boats....they were parked in the main garage tonight...…..

More on the way...….soon!!

Our face when we got the boat back and listened to one family complain about how bad Universal is........they don't like it here, it`s not Disney (thank goodness) the food here is terrible, folks are so miserable, the hotels aren't really very child friendly and then proceeded to say they`re coming back next year!!!!!!

We howled with laughter...……

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter