Mexico beach resort vacation

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
My husband wants our family to go for 4 days this summer to a Mexico beach resort. I'm not too excited because I sunburn easily which makes days at the beach less than fun for me. I was looking at Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen or the Riveria Maya until my dh suggested Puerto Vallerta too since a friend is taking his family there. We'd like to stay at a high-end family-friendly resort and also do some family guided excursions to ruins, nature, etc. I'm also worried about safety. Which place do you think would you recommend?

My favorite Mexican resort is Explorean, in Cozumel. Now, you should know in advance that Coz resorts tend to NOT have the "white sandy" beaches that many people picture. The all inclusive resorts on the island do have waterfront, and tend to have man made beaches.

The reason I like Explorean is that excursions off the property and to various sites on the island are INCLUDED in the fee that you pay. So, you get all food, all drink, AND one excursion per day....thinks like tours to Mayan ruins (which are interesting, but not as grand as those on the mainland), bike tours, snorkel tours (to some of the very best snorkeling in the world....this is what Cozumel is known for), etc. The people are incredibly friendly. Safe. Beautiful. Plus, the pool at Explorean is located in a jungle, so lots of shade to to be found for those who burn easily (which is me).

Check it out.

Another very nice, high-end resort on Cozumel is the Cozumel Palace. My BIL and SIL took their family there at the beginning of the month, and they loved it. The nice thing about that resort is that it offers "loft suite" rooms, with a king bed on the lower level, and two doubles upstairs. And, two full bathrooms. At that resort, you get "credits" you can use to book excursions of your choice. It has a more in town location compared to Explorean, but some see this as an advantage. All depends on your perspective.

Those are your two "higher end" family friendly resorts on Coz. Everything else is a step (and sometimes a BIG step down) from there in terms of quality, particularly in the food department.

Puerto Vallarta has had more issues lately with crime. I'd definitely look at that. Playa Del Carmen and Riveria Maya both have some amazing resorts, and of course, the big Mayan ruins. However, both have had considerable issues with sargassum on the beaches over the last few years. We are talking MASSIVE amounts, which can limit the amount of swimming you can do.

I have never been to Mexico but have always wanted to visit. I have heard the tourist areas are safe. I would not venture to a boarder town, but would have no problem with the areas you mentioned. I have always loved the Mexican culture, food etc. and the photos I have seen are gorgeous. I have heard Puerto Vallarta is beautiful and that would be where I would go.

Okay, I am a beach girl, so I would love that bright Cancun WiNDEX blue beach.
Even if you don't spend hours out there in the sun... Cancun would have the edge on that.
You can enjoy this kind of vacation, and still avoid direct sun as much as possible!!!!
There are many excursions, to see Mayan Ruins, Snorkeling, Cenotes, etc...
I am not sure if the Pacific side would have as much of that. So, for me, I would be leaning towards the Cancun option.

If you wanted the large, ultimate, All Inclusive resort, with everything to offer.
Then, for Mexico, look at Moon Palace Complex with Grand Palace.
I would def. recommend this over Cozumel Palace over on Cozumel Island.
The beach there on the Rivera Maya is not that incredible Cancun sand and blue water... But if the beach is not a huge priority.... And excursions to ruins, snorkeling (Puerto Moreles for that), Cenotes, and more... would be more convenient from this area, south of Cancun.

With a big budget, for a totally incredible and unbeatable gorgeous beach AND a huge All Inclusive family resort with everything to offer (but not really the excursions that the Riviera Maya offers), so an ON-Resort gorgeous beach vacation... Then Beaches Turks and Caicos.

Last edited:

Also, I will add.
Sargassum Seaweed has been a huge factor on the East Coast of Mexico.
It should be less of an issue to the North at Cancun than it is down on the Riviera Maya.
We were at Cozumel a few months ago, and the mountains of seaweed made the beaches like totally unappealing and almost just unusable.

Also, I will add.
It should be less of an issue to the North at Cancun than it is down on the Riviera Maya.
We were at Cozumel a few months ago, and the mountains of seaweed made the beaches like totally unappealing and almost just unusable.

Wait...you saw "mountains" of seaweed on Cozumel? Seriously? I was there for two weeks late Jan, early Feb and saw NONE. And, same with my SIL and BIL a month later. NONE. Cozumel is where people go to escape the seaweed. One reason we go to Cozumel. All the resorts are on the west side = no sargassum (or very little). Same "windex" blue water as Cancun...just no seaweed. There has been minor problems with sargassum on the east side of Cozumel...which is called the "wild side," which has no electricity and only a single (small) rustic hotel.

Hotel xcaret Mexico. We have been to multiple all inclusive Mexico resorts. My son went to this resort last year and said it blew all the others away. It not only is all inclusive, but it includes multiple excursions. Excursions to all the places you want to go when in that area.

It is expensive, but worth it.

While I love Cozumel and spend 5 weeks a year there I don't recommend it if you are looking at high end or plush resorts. No resorts on Cozumel compare to the mainland. It is more of a diving destination. Some that say they have a beach are small, rocky and need a ladder to reach the water. One resort has you going under the road to reach their beach. The resort known for the beach is south of town called the Allegro but it is far from high end. It's where we stay and love it. Playa Del Carmen is nice and has better high end resorts. Good luck and have fun!

I second Moon Palace. We like to experience new things and rarely vacation in the same place twice, but that's one place to which the whole family would like to return.

I am SOOOO not a beach person, but there's a lot of fun to be had without setting foot on the beach. It is hard to avoid the sun, though. You have to pack plenty of sunscreen and invest in a good hat.

I haven't stayed at the Xcaret resort but have visited their amusement complexes (or whatever they call them)--Xcaret and Xplor. They are awesome! But you don't have to stay on site to go there.

We stayed at Rosewood Mayakoba and Grand Velas Riviera Maya in Playa del Carmen. Both great - very different. Rosewood Mayakoba was high-end luxury - pools weren't full of kids. Grand Velas was all-inclusive, tons of kids. People spent way more time in the pools than on the beach, but we did have the seaweed everywhere. We did some great excursions to swim in cenotes - those were an incredible highlight and they'd save you from being sunburnt.

We love Mexico and travel there often. I would avoid Puerto Vallarta right now. DS and his wife were in Mexico just above it in January and heard first hand that it's not a place you want to travel to right now.

If you want to get out and do excursions to the ruins, nature, etc., I would stay on the mainland rather than Cozumel. I agree with the previous posters that the beaches in Cozumel aren't as nice as the ones on the mainland.

As far as resorts go, we like the Iberostar resorts. We've stayed in several and never been disappointed. Very family friendly.

However, if you're looking for a super luxurious family resort, you need to check out Beaches (family version of Sandals).

We went to Cancun last July, and the seaweed was so terrible, no one was at the beach. The workers were trying their best to clean it up, but they couldn’t put a dent in it. No one was in the water or even sitting on the gorgeous lounges in the sand. Even walking on the beach was impossible because the smell of rotting seaweed made us sick. So the pool chairs were extremely crowded and we had to get up by 6 am to find chairs together, and then hope no one would move our stuff while we went to breakfast.

It’s Mother Nature and there’s not much that can be done. We won’t be going back.

It was worse on the Wild Side.... But, this entire area is affected.
Yes, we did see mounds and mounds on that side.

Here a photo of Playa Palancar.
www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d558543-Reviews-Playa_Palancar-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=372095595

LOL. That's NOT a lot of seaweed. THIS is a lot of seaweed....Cancun. And, there are not hotels on Playa Palancar. :-)

Capture2.jpg

I've travelled to Cozumel many times...twice in the last 5 months. And never saw anything approaching "piles" and "mounds" of sargassum on Cozumel.

That being said, it is NOT a "beach" destination. I freely admit that. It's more for divers and snorkelers than people who want to lay on the beach.

I second Moon Palace. We like to experience new things and rarely vacation in the same place twice, but that's one place to which the whole family would like to return.

I am SOOOO not a beach person, but there's a lot of fun to be had without setting foot on the beach. It is hard to avoid the sun, though. You have to pack plenty of sunscreen and invest in a good hat.

I haven't stayed at the Xcaret resort but have visited their amusement complexes (or whatever they call them)--Xcaret and Xplor. They are awesome! But you don't have to stay on site to go there.
:beach: I am also SO NOT an all-inclusive beach hotel person, but we did end up in Cancun once (our travel companions chose it). We stayed in the Royal Suites at the Grand Palladium complex, which is a huge resort comprised of 5 different hotels so there's really something for everybody. We went to Xplor at night (called Xplor Fuego) and it was mind-blowing - I've never seen a facility like it anywhere. The included buffet dinner was one of the best meals we had, too. :thumbsup2

Last edited:
We love Mexico and travel there often. I would avoid Puerto Vallarta right now. DS and his wife were in Mexico just above it in January and heard first hand that it's not a place you want to travel to right now.

However, if you're looking for a super luxurious family resort, you need to check out Beaches (family version of Sandals).

There isn’t a beaches resort in Mexico. They are only in Jamaica and Turks and Caicos. We have been to all of them and Turks and Caicos is the best all inclusive resort, hands down. But, it’s pricey.

We have stayed at the moon palace with a group of 14. We weren’t fans. Much better resorts to stay at in Mexico.

Also, I will add.

The East side of Cozumel for the past year or so has had an abundant amount of it. I believe it has subsided now. The resorts are on the west side and are spared. So the visitors that are staying at a resort are not affected, at all period. The ONLY time you will see it on the West side is when the wind comes from the north called Norte's. They only affect the resorts a couple days at a time and does not result in "mountains of seaweed". The East side is not known for it's swimming beaches because of the high danger of the undertows. As I stated earlier, I go to Cozumel 5 weeks a year.

The East side of Cozumel for the past year or so has had an abundant amount of it. I believe it has subsided now. The resorts are on the west side and are spared. So the visitors that are staying at a resort are not affected, at all period. The ONLY time you will see it on the West side is when the wind comes from the north called Norte's. They only affect the resorts a couple days at a time and does not result in "mountains of seaweed". The East side is not known for it's swimming beaches because of the high danger of the undertows. As I stated earlier, I go to Cozumel 5 weeks a year.

All true. Huge fan of Cozumel here. I hate to tell people about it because I'm afraid it will be overrun. LOL. Laid back little island, with fabulous people. We took two different couples this year (in addition to our BIL and SIL, who traveled separately) and we turned them ALL into fans. I'm envious that you get to go for 5 weeks! ETA: we were there for an El Norte. The weather was "interesting" for a few hours, there was some sargassum for a few hours the next day, and then it was done. The current goes west to east MOST of the time. So the water tends to be crystal clear and beautiful 98% of the time. El Nortes are a winter phenomena . No concern about one in the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter