Mexico beach resort vacation

All true. Huge fan of Cozumel here. I hate to tell people about it because I'm afraid it will be overrun. LOL. Laid back little island, with fabulous people. We took two different couples this year (in addition to our BIL and SIL, who traveled separately) and we turned them ALL into fans. I'm envious that you get to go for 5 weeks! ETA: we were there for an El Norte. The weather was "interesting" for a few hours, there was some sargassum for a few hours the next day, and then it was done. The current goes west to east MOST of the time. So the water tends to be crystal clear and beautiful 98% of the time. El Nortes are a winter phenomena . No concern about one in the summer.
They've had many Nortes this year. More than normal. We are headed back again in a couple of weeks. I don't like the "word" out about it either, LOL. I hate to see it turn into another PDC or Cancun. The water is unbelievably gorgeous. There is a reason why it is one of the top diving destinations! We have many "local" friends there and they are what keeps us going back as well. They are the most warm, loving people! Going to a wedding in Aug there. That will certainly be an experience both with culture and HEAT, lol.

Is the sargassum a year-round or seasonal issue? I'm thinking about scheduling the trip for late July/early August. I know it'll be hot but we're from Texas so used to heat.

I know the kids will want to spend time at the beach (DS8 really wants to build sand castles) but I know they'll get bored spending all day, every day on the beach. My dh and our sons also like to snorkel. I don't swim well so I either take photos of them or stay behind. DH and DS12 have tried scuba diving and liked it but they, unfortunately, aren't certified. Both sons are very good swimmers so I think they'd enjoy swimming in a cenote. I was a history major and took an archeology class taught by a South American archeologist so I'm really interested in seeing the ruins I learned about in class. We all also love nature. My dh has high standards for food and neither kid is interested in chicken fingers or pasta for every meal. We take them out to a variety of ethnic restaurants from sushi to Spanish tapas and everything in between. We're lucky to live in a city that has excellent restaurants and an ethnically diverse population.

Is the sargassum a year-round or seasonal issue? I'm thinking about scheduling the trip for late July/early August. I know it'll be hot but we're from Texas so used to heat.

I know the kids will want to spend time at the beach (DS8 really wants to build sand castles) but I know they'll get bored spending all day, every day on the beach. My dh and our sons also like to snorkel. I don't swim well so I either take photos of them or stay behind. DH and DS12 have tried scuba diving and liked it but they, unfortunately, aren't certified. Both sons are very good swimmers so I think they'd enjoy swimming in a cenote. I was a history major and took an archeology class taught by a South American archeologist so I'm really interested in seeing the ruins I learned about in class. We all also love nature. My dh has high standards for food and neither kid is interested in chicken fingers or pasta for every meal. We take them out to a variety of ethnic restaurants from sushi to Spanish tapas and everything in between. We're lucky to live in a city that has excellent restaurants and an ethnically diverse population.
The sargassum on the East side has only been a problem the last year or two. For the West side you should be ok those dates. Truthfully, I love Cozumel but you will not be getting 5* meals at a resort there. We eat in various restaurants in town as well at the resort. Cozumel has ruins but are on a small scale compared to the ruins on the mainland. You can ferry across for the day if that interests you.

They don't need to be 5* meals; we're not foodies or food snobs. We just like tasty food and have no desire to eat Chili's food on vacation. In fact, we try to only go to local chains on vacation.

They don't need to be 5* meals; we're not foodies or food snobs. We just like tasty food and have no desire to eat Chili's food on vacation. In fact, we try to only go to local chains on vacation.
Ahhh, ok. I've heard that the Iberostar has good food and snorkeling. You need water shoes to enter the water. but far from town. Fiesta Americana, also, has great reviews of their food and a bit closer to town. Just not the greatest beach. You see. In Cozumel, there is a lot of give and take. For cultural experiences, you would be better off with a resort in town. Sounds like mnrose has some experience with resorts in town.

We love Mexico! Playa Del Carmen just had some murders reported I think, if that matters to you. Most recently we went to Puerto Vallarta and we will never return. We stayed at Secrets, it was a really nice adult only resort. All the beaches around us were tiny and were mobbed with vendors, constantly bugging people.

We have really liked:
Fiesta Americana in Cabo
Marina El Cid, Puerto Morales
Valintin Imperial Maya in Playa Del Carmen

The food at Explorean (and it's sister property, Fiesta Americana, where you have full access) is really good...even great sometimes. I know good food, and I'd say this would please most people. I had some delicious meals there, and the general consensus among reviewers is that it is way better than average for an all inclusive. They have a Sushi bar, Asian restaurant, Italian and Mexican. There's also a buffet, which serves a decent breakfast. And, the BEST (seriously....so good) ceviche on the beach for lunch. A two week vacation did not leave me bored of the food options at all.

In terms of food at AIs in Cozumel, the two you would want are the Palace and Explorean (Fiesta). The Palace is very convenient to lots of activities, plus they have the PERFECT room for your family in a loft suite.

I'd go with either. Fiesta is about a 10 minute ($6-7 US dollar) cab ride from town. The "beachier" AIs are a lot farther from town.

If your kids enjoy being in the water, Cozumel is the best. Water clarity is unbelievable really, and you see so much! We were snorkeling right out in front of Fiesta and saw a big spotted eagle ray feeding. Truly magnificent. Not to mention all the little fishes, lobster, barracuda, etc.

And a tip to see what you are getting in advance. The oyster website has a ton of up to date photos from most resorts. Just google the name of the resort you are considering "and oyster" and it should pop up. That way you can see exactly what the waterfront looks like and what you will get. JiminyC is correct that all resorts in Coz represent a trade off. You can get at most TWO of these things together: Good food, good snorkeling/water and good beach. You can't have all three. I will also add that I never noticed the lack of "beach" at Fiesta/Explorean because there is a man made beach area with loungers, day beds, etc. And, easy access to the water. Same is true at the Palace. It's not like there is NO "beach" just not the "wade in" beach area most people think about.

Last edited:
Not to hijack but does anyone like Aruba? Was thinking about going in January.

Aruba is nice. The one thing to know is that it is VERY windy most of the time. It is a world class windsurfing and kite surfing destination for this reason. What that means is that it isn't always pleasant to "sit" on the beach because you can get sand blasted. LOL. But, pretty! And, like most destinations in that area, expensive. People are friendly. The vast majority of them speak perfect English, so not much of a language barrier either. For us, it's hard to get to, so it's not high on our list anymore. But, if we could get there without 14+ hours of traveling, I'd do it again.

There isn’t a beaches resort in Mexico. They are only in Jamaica and Turks and Caicos. We have been to all of them and Turks and Caicos is the best all inclusive resort, hands down. But, it’s pricey.

We have stayed at the moon palace with a group of 14. We weren’t fans. Much better resorts to stay at in Mexico.

In re-reading my post I realize didn't make it clear that there weren't any Beaches in Mexico. I was trying to point out other options for a luxury family resort. Sorry OP.

If you decide to go to Cozumel, check out Cozumel Insider for booking tours. I've been using them for years and they're responsive, reasonable and very friendly. They have a vast knowledge of the island and the mainland for tours and their guides are interesting and informative. I've never been disappointed in any of the tours we've booked through them. I've recommended them before to family and friends and everyone raves about their service and tours.

We have not been impressed with Coz, at all.
Know somebody is going back for like the third time, and do not really understand.
DH openly stated after our experience that he def. wouldn't choose to go back.

There are better and nicer beaches.
Better and nicer resorts.
More varied day-trips, sights, and activities.....

TCU, about the sargassum seaweed.
It did not used to be a problem at all.
But starting just a very few years ago... something happened, and recently beaches all around this Caribbean area have just been inundated with piles of it.
It is being considered a major ecological problem, tourist industry problem, etc.
There are now a lot of real studies and focus.

Here is the current situation and knowledge.
Basically, experts are studying this, and admit that nobody really understands.
You just can't second guess this stuff.

Last year was BAD.
Typically, it was thought that the 'bloom' would begin to occur as the waters warmed up, and the Sargassum would then follow the Caribbean and Gulf currents, washing ashore and landing on beaches all throughout this path.
It has been expected that this would then lessen and go away after the summer. This is NOT what has happened. Just kept coming all year.

BUT.... This year, instead of increasing in February, as per ususal expectation, with Spring coming, The latest studies show that, this year, it actually DECREASED from Jan/Feb into March.

Here is the best site that I have found.
https://optics.marine.usf.edu/projects/saws.html

The updates come in at the end of every month, so a new one will come in soon at the end of March.
You can click on LAST Feb 2018, and then THIS Feb, and see the difference in what it did last year, and what it had been expected to do, and what is actually happening, which is a significant DECREASE, instead of increase.

Another dissenting opinion. I’ve been to Cancun and Cozumel. To me they are very touristy and uninteresting. Puerto Vallarta is real Mexico and we love it. There are lots of hikes, zip lining, ocean stuff to do. We stay at the villa del palmar which is not luxury but is quite nice. Lovely staff, lots of activities for kids and adults around the pool. I’m sure there are lots more expensive places. But this works for us. We were just there in Nov. took local buses, went to the Malacon area in downtown for dinner Almost every night. We never once felt nervous or scared. Great restaurants. The Mexican people are the sweetest nicest people we have ever encountered. Wherever you go I encourage you not to do all inclusive but to get out to local places and meet the real people. For us it seems odd to go to a foreign country and then only hang out with other tourists.

Usually, when we travel we don't stay in resorts and instead go out into the city and neighborhoods. My husband and kids this time want a beach vacation instead of an experience a country vacation. The beach happens to be in Mexico though because I don't want to spend all day on the beach. I'm trying to find a compromise.

Another dissenting opinion. I’ve been to Cancun and Cozumel. To me they are very touristy and uninteresting. Puerto Vallarta is real Mexico and we love it. There are lots of hikes, zip lining, ocean stuff to do. We stay at the villa del palmar which is not luxury but is quite nice. Lovely staff, lots of activities for kids and adults around the pool. I’m sure there are lots more expensive places. But this works for us. We were just there in Nov. took local buses, went to the Malacon area in downtown for dinner Almost every night. We never once felt nervous or scared. Great restaurants. The Mexican people are the sweetest nicest people we have ever encountered. Wherever you go I encourage you not to do all inclusive but to get out to local places and meet the real people. For us it seems odd to go to a foreign country and then only hang out with other tourists.

You're encouraging people to get out and explore Puerto Vallarta? I'm sorry but that is some seriously reckless advice in the current climate.

We have not been impressed with Coz, at all.
Know somebody is going back for like the third time, and do not really understand.
DH openly stated after our experience that he def. wouldn't choose to go back.

There are better and nicer beaches.
Better and nicer resorts.
More varied day-trips, sights, and activities.....

Cozumel is for people who like to snorkel and dive. If those don't interest you, then you are right, it's not the place for you. I like the pace of the island (very sleepy, not much night life, friendly locals) and we love snorkeling. It's the best snorkeling we've found anywhere that isn't 1/2 a globe away.

It has NEVER been known for "beaches." Beaches and good snorkeling have never gone hand in hand. Sandy beaches = crappy snorkeling, which is why the snorkeling in the Cancun area (as compared with Cozumel) isn't very good.

The sargassum problem has been linked to global warming. Simple. It is a really, really big problem on the east side of Mexico, and could spell significant problems for beach tourism in that area.

You're encouraging people to get out and explore Puerto Vallarta? I'm sorry but that is some seriously reckless advice in the current climate.
Thinking that I had missed something, I just looked st Mexican travel restrictions for Valletta. There are none. The violence that may have occurred in Mexico has nothing to do with the area around PV and any violence in Puerta Valletta is way less than any big cities in the Us. We have been to PV many times and always hang out among the locals. I will contend that there is nothing to be afraid of except for those who are generally afraid of anything different than what they are used to. I live just outside Chicago and walk my neighborhood all the time at night and have walked around Chicago at night without fear. So I certainly am not going to be scared away from a wonderful town like PV. Bad things can happen anywhere. Caution is useful but fear of the unknown is not.

I would go to the Myan Riviera. We've been to 5 resorts there with our kids and have loved them all. There is so much to do at the hotels, you will not get bored even if the beaches have seaweed. The pool areas are just huge. There are activities running all day and night. In my opinion though 4 days is way too short, especially if you want to do excursions. Ruins can take at least a half day, usually more. Cenotes can be quicker if you find one close to your hotel but you'd still want to spend a few hours there. We've stayed at the Grand Palladium, Xcaret Hotel, Sandos Carocol, Barcelona Mayan Palace, and Marina El CID. All were fantastic. Sandos has some ruins and cenotes on site and a new waterpark for the kids. You would never go hungry at any of them but some definitely had better food than others. I would read recent reviews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter