Mexico beach resort vacation

I was interested in Sandos Carocol because of the unique nature aspects to the resort. What did you think of the place?

I looked at that one once and can't recall why I decided against it. There's another one in the area that finished high on my list of "finalists" and that was Hotel Xcaret. Have you looked at that one? it was newer when I looked, so I wasn't certain, but it does seem to have high reviews.

We loved Sandos Caracol. It really is a beautiful resort, very natural with lots of animals. The food wasn't that great but we were never hungry and it was several years ago so it may have improved. My only other complaint was that the main pool there was smaller than the ones at the other resorts we had been to so it would get crowded. But that may be alleviated now with the waterpark as I'm sure that draws a lot of people. Beach there was really nice. A little rocky going into the ocean but the beach itself had great sand. Lots of fun activities at this resort, they even had mechanical bull riding by the pool one day. Not sure how old your kids are but they have a huge kids club, my kids liked it to get out of the sun for a bit in the afternoon. You can also use the facilities at Sandos Playacar. We never went as we were too busy at our resort but I've read the beach there is spectacular. We got the lowest level room and it was huge. King bed, pullout couch, and a cot (we r a family of 5). Huge balcony with a jacuzzi and a huge bathroom. I would definitely go back.

We also stayed at Occidental Xcaret. That was our first stay in Mexico. It is also a beautiful resort. It's huge. Lots of bars and restaurants. There was one restaurant on the water which was gorgeous. We'd walk out there every morning for breakfast. Even had swings for the kids. This had the worst food of any resort we went to but that was 10 years ago so it may have improved. I would check TripAdvisor reviews. The lobby is spectacular and pools are huge. All the reosrts pretty much have the same nighttime shows. They are like Vegas style shows put on by local talent. With some packages, Xcaret Park is included and you can walk right next door to it. The park is amazing. Snorkeling in cenotes, shows, animals, Mayan ruins, etc.

I spent a week at Seacrets Maroma. It was a little over the top for me. Im a simple guy, gimme a beer, Im happy.

We go to the Iberostar Paraiso in the Mayan Riviera (there are 5 resorts together from inexpensive to expensive). They are fantastic. If you are on Facebook there is a helpful page called Travellimg the Riviera Maya, Mexico. The members are very helpful giving advice on the many resorts in the area.

Puerto Vallarta, Cozumel and Cabo San Lucas are my favorite places in Mexico. For beaches and resorts I recommend Aruba or Antigua in the Caribbean.

Hey, it's me again!
Sandeep, I wouldn't say that I am a fan... But, we have really had this resort on our radar for quite some time. It gets top reviews. I have followed all the info and reviews.
Now that the major renovations were completed, a few months ago, we were ready to book this (YES... $$$$) But, if we do this, at this price, I want it to be as close to perfect as possible... so, we are being patient!!!! Have been monitoring the seaweed as well. The thing that I am hoping for is their total personal anticipatory service. Even for those looking for an Adult Only upscale resort, this might not be the one for them... as I am quite sure some might find it too quiet or even a bit 'stuffy' feeling????

Anyhow, this is NOT the resort for the OP and her family.
It is a very expensive, smaller, high-end, spa resort... Adults Only.

It has been mentioned here that "One person loves this place.. others don't give it good reviews.... confusing"
OP, it might seem that way... But I am big on planning, and you learn a couple of things when you do as much researching and dreaming as I have!!!!
1. Throw out the top and bottom 10% of the reviews... both the totally glowing five stars, and the 'Horrible' one stars. These are clearly influenced.
2. Look at the source. There are what we all know as 'Cheerleaders' who will promote their one favorite place, all the time, to almost anyone....
Ignore those. Seriously.

Look at reviews that seem to be more fair and objective. Ones that offer information and comparisons and photos.... Not - "I just LOVE this place!!!! Have to try it!!!! "Don't want word to get out...." while posting over and over.

We have been to Secrets Maroma, years ago. We really loved it!!!! Secrets are very very nice resorts... not just the 'bucket of beer' type of resort. But, out of these types of Nice Adult Only resorts, they do have more of a fun and casual vibe!!! I still remember one of the Activity Directors who was so fun and amazing!. And, we were laid back and didn't really even do any of the activities. We really enjoyed it.
Again, this is another resort that would not be for the OP.

OP, I am not familiar with the more eco/nature oriented resorts. So, I can't comment there...
But, I do have one question for you.
Do you feel you would really appreciate having that much nature right on-resort.
With the activities and day trips, you would still be 'out there'.
Just something to think about... Just in case it comes down to nature ON-resort, -vs- other factors, such as beach/price/food/service/accommodations/etc.

I do know that Tucan/Quetzel at Playa del Carmen have more natural grounds and some wildlife. Not sure I would go as far as to call them true 'Eco'. But, maybe you could take a look at them.

Also, something to compare... the dining. Especially during a hot time of year.
Is there limited access to the air-conditioned ala carte dining? With many suppers have to be at the buffet (which can be open-air)
Is it by reservations, which might sometimes be hard to snag?
Or, is it kind of open - first come first serve?
This can vary.

We stayed at the RIU Jalisco just outside Puerto Vallarta a few years ago. Beautiful resort, all inclusive. We had a great time and great weather. But considering the travel distance (we're from the east coast), we prefer the gulf side. I think the water is warmer and the waves would be less on the gulf side as well.

Hopscotch.... Just out of curiosity....
Lightning Round... quick... Pick ONE....
Would you go back to Grand Palladium or Mayan Palace?
Which had the edge on dining....

tcu, When I see that you mention Riviera Maya (from where many excursions to ruins, cenotes, etc... can easily be done) and then the comments about food... I don't know if this is within budget, but Grand Velas comes to mind for the better and more varied food and dining.

@WishingOnAStar...tough choice. We probably had a better time at Grand Pallladium but part of that was because kids were a little older and we met some really fun people to hang out with. When we were at Mayan Palace there was a huge group of spring break high school kids and their parents. They were everywhere and they were all drunk all the time (teens and parents). Had we gone a month earlier/later, we would have had a much better time. Both are gorgeous resorts and I would go back to either one if the price was right. Food at both was really good. Buffets at GP were better but sit down restaurants at MP were better. MP did have all you can eat lobster one night at the buffet. Entertainment team at GP was better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter