Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

Just received this via Email from Disney. Our arrival date is Sept. 17.

September 2017
Dear Bennett Family,
We have an important update about your upcoming reservation at The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.
For the safety of our Guests and Cast Members, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed until further notice as we recover from Hurricane Irma.
If you wish to relocate to another Walt Disney World® Resort hotel or reschedule your trip, please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can assist you by calling the Disney Reservation Center at 407-W-DISNEY.
We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to reassure you that any customary cancellation fees will be waived.
Thank you for your understanding and flexibility.
Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC

My reservation at the Fort starts Saturday the 16th and I just received an email that they will move me to a hotel, reschedule or cancel with no fee.

September 2017
Dear Bennett Family,
We have an important update about your upcoming reservation at The Campsites at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort.
For the safety of our Guests and Cast Members, Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed until further notice as we recover from Hurricane Irma.
If you wish to relocate to another Walt Disney World® Resort hotel or reschedule your trip, please contact us at your earliest convenience so we can assist you by calling the Disney Reservation Center at 407-W-DISNEY.
We apologize for the inconvenience and would like to reassure you that any customary cancellation fees will be waived.
Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC

I got the same thing for the 16th

I got the same thing for the 16th

I'm sorry to hear this, it would tie in with the latest update to the WDW site stating that Trails End and Hoop De Doo reservations are cancelled through to the 17th.

We have reservations at the Fort from the 19th so fingers crossed. Out of curiosity has anyone called in to change resort and if so are they offering any special pricing?

I had a reservation for Ft Wilderness arrival on Sunday Sept 17th. I got the email and called. Spent about 30 minutes on hold and then was told that there is a team that is calling outbound to everyone with a reservation and to just sit and wait and if I don't hear from them by Friday to go ahead and call again.
It makes me nervous not having this huge part of my vacation solidified. Plus the email says to call them at my earliest convince. Ugh!!

I had a reservation for Ft Wilderness arrival on Sunday Sept 17th. I got the email and called. Spent about 30 minutes on hold and then was told that there is a team that is calling outbound to everyone with a reservation and to just sit and wait and if I don't hear from them by Friday to go ahead and call again.
It makes me nervous not having this huge part of my vacation solidified. Plus the email says to call them at my earliest convince. Ugh!!

I would find that totally unacceptable, I'd give them another day to assess the damage and figure out what they are doing but I would totally call back tomorrow, not Friday. It would make a big difference in my packing as I would not be bringing my camper if I were going to end up in a hotel the entire time. I'm guessing these people aren't campers......

September 2017
Dear Bennett Family,
Sincerely,
Disney Destinations, LLC
We got the same email. We arrive on the 15th for one night. I called and after waiting 30 minutes, I got someone the phone. She said that they have a room at Pop and can switch me there. So I said yeah, great..anywhere is fine with us. Then she said we would have to pay the difference? I questioned that and she said she doesn't think we should pay either so she switched me to Guest Services. Now on hold again, with a wait time of over 2 hours. I'm at 1 hour and 18 minutes on hold o_O

I'm sorry to hear this, it would tie in with the latest update to the WDW site stating that Trails End and Hoop De Doo reservations are cancelled through to the 17th.

We have reservations at the Fort from the 19th so fingers crossed. Out of curiosity has anyone called in to change resort and if so are they offering any special pricing?
This is being discussed in the Sept TR thread. So far no definitive answer on pricing.

Wow! I wonder what the people with pets are going to do if they get relocated. We used the 'doggy day care' (which was great) but would never have boarded our dog overnight.

And what are people going to do with their rigs? How will Disney insure that the rigs are stored in a secure area? Most of us carry quite a bit of 'stuff' and food in our rigs! Plus you'd have to show up with an empty fridge since you wouldn't want to leave it running on propane for an unknown length of time.

We drove cross country on our trip, taking 6 days. We would show up already having food in our fridge!

Concern here on my end.

I have been the planner for my dad's dream vacation to WDW - there are nine of use going: my dad, stepmom, stepbrother, his wife, their three kids, DH and me! My dad has been dreaming about this for 10 years and is taking us as his big gift to all of us.

We are scheduled to stay in the Cabins at FW - DH, dad, stepmom and I to check-in on 9/27 and my stepbrother's family on 9/29. My dad, stepmom and stepbrother haven't been to WDW in almost 30 years and my sister-in-law, two nephews and niece have never been. DH and I are WDW veterans, but have never stayed at FW. Needless to say we are all really looking forward to it - I already have reservations for golf carts and a couple of meals at Trail's End.

So....and I know everything is just a guess at this point...should I just sit tight for now or should I go ahead and try to book something else (for my stepbrother's room I would need to find something which sleeps 5 which I know are in short supply on this short of notice)???

Help!!!!

I would sit tight for at least another day or two until they have announced an official reopen date
Concern here on my end.

I have been the planner for my dad's dream vacation to WDW - there are nine of use going: my dad, stepmom, stepbrother, his wife, their three kids, DH and me! My dad has been dreaming about this for 10 years and is taking us as his big gift to all of us.

We are scheduled to stay in the Cabins at FW - DH, dad, stepmom and I to check-in on 9/27 and my stepbrother's family on 9/29. My dad, stepmom and stepbrother haven't been to WDW in almost 30 years and my sister-in-law, two nephews and niece have never been. DH and I are WDW veterans, but have never stayed at FW. Needless to say we are all really looking forward to it - I already have reservations for golf carts and a couple of meals at Trail's End.

So....and I know everything is just a guess at this point...should I just sit tight for now or should I go ahead and try to book something else (for my stepbrother's room I would need to find something which sleeps 5 which I know are in short supply on this short of notice)???

Help!!!!

Deleting this post - now that the FW threads have been merged, this became a duplicate of my earlier post...

Last edited:
I also posted this on the Fort Wilderness thread, but wanted to post here too in case anyone here has additional thoughts:

Concern here on my end.

Help!!!!
I would sit tight and keep a watchful eye on the web. I would say the Fort will be open by the 27th.

Disney is dealing with the issue in a matter of days. You're talking over two weeks from now.

I think within 7 days the Fort will be operating normally. So you should be fine.

If this were me I would sit tight. So I agree with ruthies12.

Bama Ed

PS - I hope your family has a great time at the Fort...

9/27 is a pretty long way out. I feel pretty good by then they'll be up and running at the Fort.

I guess big issue is site or cabin damage that can't be quickly fixed. Still, at 15 days out I'd sit and wait.

Thanks @2goofycampers and @tiggerdad - planning this trip has been a huge challenge already since I usually only plan for 2 (adults!) and switching to nine (including 3 kids) is quite different. I know if FW doesn't open by 9/27 everyone in my group will be looking at me, "What do we do now?" so I am trying to stay a half step ahead...:thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter