Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

Irma is a hot mess!
My area (just north of Atlanta) got hit with a few 60+mph gusts according to the official Atlanta weather wind measurer (new word). Talked to all my 60-75 foot pines yesterday about standing tall and upright.

I lol'd about you talking to your trees, Peach. But apparently they listened ... :scratchin

Irma was a nothing burger in my town. The University still held classes on Monday - the most notable thing was the cold temperatures (came out of the office at 4pm and it was only 59F).

I was following the mega-thread on the DIS Resorts board from people who rode out Irma in the on-property hotels and the worst things I read there in terms of damage were a few tree issues. Given the proportionally greater number of trees at the Fort (I know they're there because I've backed into many of them :mad: ) it's no surprise it will take longer to get the Fort ship-shape. Like Teamubr mentioned above, though, he may be traveling southbound into Florida with all the returning locals.

Some of you may have heard how Irma's winds, coupled with local tides, pulled enough water out of the shallow parts of the ocean to lay bare the bottom and strand fish, sharks, manatees, etc. I saw pictures of it in the Bahamas, Florida Bay off Key Largo, and Tampa Bay.

Well add Mobile Bay to the list in Alabama. Here's a picture off the Causeway (Hwy 98) that runs parallel to I-10 near the USS Alabama. Even though Mobile was never in any danger, the size of Irma had far reaching impacts like this.

photo-by-skip-baumhowerjpg-2190edb6e26f96fb.jpg

I hope power gets restored in Florida soon and that we hear from amcc soon.

The Keys sound pretty hard hit - it will probably take a while to inspect all the bridges and clear all the downed wires and tree parts along US-1 and get power restored. The book I read while at Gulf this May, Last Train to Paradise by Les Standiford, was about the building of the Florida East Coast Railroad all the way down to Key West. The Keys portion of the FECR was destroyed in a hurricane in September 1935 (they didn't name hurricanes then).

Still, it coulda been a lot worse.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

Well I tried to go to work today, but no power so doing what I can from home. Have to admit I am glad to have power at home, but feel for my neighborhood where most don't. Here are a few pictures from my neighborhood. I have seen some picture from around WDW on facebook, and it looks like mostly tree damage there too.
n 1.jpg n 2.jpg n 5.jpg pool enc 3.jpg pool enc 2.jpg road.jpg tree down.jpg

Is it just me or does the fact that they don't give a re-opening date sound ominous?
Not really. Given how The FORT is laid out and that unlike the MK resorts is at natural elevation any standing water is going to remain a good bit longer. The trees are more numerous and in a Sandy type of soil that is not too conducive for drainage or holding root systems My guess is by Friday they will have things up and running at least on a limited basis

Not really. Given how The FORT is laid out and that unlike the MK resorts is at natural elevation any standing water is going to remain a good bit longer. The trees are more numerous and in a Sandy type of soil that is not too conducive for drainage or holding root systems My guess is by Friday they will have things up and running at least on a limited basis
Amazing how a campground 2000 miles away can have such an impact on my heart.... I hope you are right

Has anyone posted pictures from the other resorts to see the down trees?? any other damage reported??

I'm not too scared for my trip cause I feel like 3 weeks should be long enough to clear downed trees, but I feel for Pahunter and all the people who had trips right now that may not have campsites open. If the BBQ and Hoop de due don't open until Friday it must be bad and a whole resort down is a lot of displaced people.

I just finished a chat with a CM on the web site.

No word on when the Fort will open. For those of us with arrival dates during the closure, we will be relocated to another resort until the Fort reopens. I tried to add a day at the beginning of our reservation (Friday) since the state park we were going to stay at is also closed. No chance adding on a "Relocation Fort" date. Only choice is to book a regular room. For 5, that is expensive.

j

Oh boy, this does not look good and now I am worried about my trip in 22 days.

Teamubr- what hotel were you moved to?
I just finished a chat with a CM on the web site.

No word on when the Fort will open. For those of us with arrival dates during the closure, we will be relocated to another resort until the Fort reopens. I tried to add a day at the beginning of our reservation (Friday) since the state park we were going to stay at is also closed. No chance adding on a "Relocation Fort" date. Only choice is to book a regular room. For 5, that is expensive.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter