Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

:disrocks:

Thanks @ruthies12 and @bama_ed!!! I am "in charge" of this magical bucket list trip for my dad and it has already been a learning curve planning for 9 people (including 3 kids) instead of 2 (DH and me). So I am just on alert in case I need to make a change. I really appreciate your reassurance and plan to sit tight for now!
:thanks:

Quick update I am still out of power. It's been 27 hours and no estimated time yet for when it will be back. Apparently we will have a water pressure issue in the building tomorrow if we don't get power back. I did run outside today but after work at 5 pm and not the usual 6 am. It was not horrible and I had enough water pressure and warm water for a quick shower.

Tomorrow will head to the gym for spin and a good shower. I think everything in the fridge and freezer will be lost. Fridge did not have much but freezer was full. If we still have no updates tomorrow, we may head to dville to stay with mom. Worried about no ac for dogs. It was cool today but will be 80s again.

I would find that totally unacceptable, I'd give them another day to assess the damage and figure out what they are doing but I would totally call back tomorrow, not Friday. It would make a big difference in my packing as I would not be bringing my camper if I were going to end up in a hotel the entire time. I'm guessing these people aren't campers......

We give up... we're rescheduling for spring. Breaks my heart after 6+ months of planning but I think we'll give the state and The Fort some time to recover. I've never been to The Fort before-this was my first long distance trip with my FW and I want it to be great!!

Good luck to those that still have reservations for next week! I hope they reopen soon!! Give Mickey some :love: from Texas. We'll be going to the mountains next week!

Quick update I am still out of power. It's been 27 hours and no estimated time yet for when it will be back. Apparently we will have a water pressure issue in the building tomorrow if we don't get power back. I did run outside today but after work at 5 pm and not the usual 6 am. It was not horrible and I had enough water pressure and warm water for a quick shower.

Tomorrow will head to the gym for spin and a good shower. I think everything in the fridge and freezer will be lost. Fridge did not have much but freezer was full. If we still have no updates tomorrow, we may head to dville to stay with mom. Worried about no ac for dogs. It was cool today but will be 80s again.

Remember to check with your insurance company about loss of food in the freezer. Your homeowners will usually cover that.

Remember to check with your insurance company about loss of food in the freezer. Your homeowners will usually cover that.

Our main fridge/freezer combo is covered, but last time we lost everything in our stand alone freezer during a hurricane. We would have had to have a 'rider' for that! Maybe some insurances would cover 'all' automatically - worth checking.

After going through a week without power, we bought a large generator, have it wired to our home with just a flip of a switch. Really peace of mind for us - have only needed it once - during an ice storm. It's just for fridges, freezer, well, blower on fireplace and a few lights/outlets - no AC.

A friend just posted this on Facebook and I came over here immediately to find out if it was true. This has to be fake news, right????

http://www.breakingnews247.net/59b8...-walt-disney-world-due-to-hurricane-irma.html

In these times in which one cannot make jokes about anything, I have nothing to say here except you have angered the people who may carry pitchforks, scythes, torches, axes and other deadly weapons like a medevil like mob. I would not mess with these camping people. One of them has a team of highly trained and organized squirrel army! That will come to your house and naw on acorn nuts while you try to go to sleep.

If your freezer is 'full' and you do not open it, we were told everything should be good for 3 days!

I was about to start reading this thread and had texted our Disney travel agent a question about our dining plan for the family trip that starts this coming Saturday when she asked if she could call me. Yep....our campsite reservation has been cancelled, but apparently NOT our cabin reservation. We have a group of 12 going Sept 16-22. She's on hold now to find out our options and we're hoping to just get 2 cabins. I sure don't want to have to pay the price difference though. I'll update as soon as I know something.

I posted a longer report on the September thread, but I'm currently on hold waiting for a relocation option until the Fort reopens. The CM I talked to seemed to be referencing a memo with specific bullet points.

In short, they are trying to have the Fort reopened on Monday September 18th.

Those of us with checkin dates between now and Sunday (17th), received the email and are being offered a relocation UNTIL the Fort reopens. Obviously no guarantees, but they are trying for the 18th.

j

Thanks @2goofycampers and @tiggerdad - planning this trip has been a huge challenge already since I usually only plan for 2 (adults!) and switching to nine (including 3 kids) is quite different. I know if FW doesn't open by 9/27 everyone in my group will be looking at me, "What do we do now?" so I am trying to stay a half step ahead...:thanks:

If you can trust anyone's input and opinions, it's these two FW enthusiasts for sure!

Good news update. Power restored at 11 pm last night. Yep I was asleep until all the lights went on. Did check the fridge temp was 60 so probably junking all the stuff that needed to stay cold like the one package of chicken. The feeezer held was still 35, so I am good there. Probably a good thing it was full and we did not open it once.

Has anyone heard what accommodations Disney is giving Fort Wilderness campers for not being able to use the campground. I know HDDR reservations are being credited back. What about people traveling with their rig?

I can not imagine pulling our camper 2000 miles- driving 4 days with our 4 children in the truck- and then being told we can't stay. Praying this is just because they are being cautious and really checking everything over at the Fort, and not because the damage is so extreme....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter