Merchandise harassment has started

This was at animal kingdom mind you...maybe the lady was just being helpful? However it was just so coincidental.
She was just being helpful. I suspect if this exact same thing happened on your last trip (before you listened to the show) you would not have called it harassment.

Sounds to me like the CM was just trying to be helpful. They can't win for loosing, if they aren't helpful you are going to hear how bad the service has gotten, if they are helpful you are going to hear pushy.

So true. I have literally seen that complaint on these boards here too:

"The CMs didn't even look up when I walked in the store. How rude!"

"The CMs were engaged in conversation with each other instead of asking me if I needed help."

"The CMs completely ignored me."

Ad nauseum.

Of all the things one has to worry about it life... I'm fairly certainly getting harassed by Disney World employees to buy a pin is not one of them.

This happened to me once. I was at Epcot buying a t-shirt at closing time, and the cast member noticed that I was an annual passholder, and she suddenly thought of something and said, "oooo... I think we still have a limited number of exclusive AP pins left." It was only then that I realized why there were long lines at the store all day, and why they had set up stanchions outside.

I don't collect pins and had no interest. But when she said the words, "limited" and "exclusive," I developed a serious case of FOMO (fear of missing out) and I bought $25 worth of pins I didn't need. For the past five years, they have been sitting in a desk drawer along with other trinkets, paperclips, ticket stubs, and dried out markers. I thought I'd put them up on eBay someday, but it feels like a lot of trouble. I vowed from that day henceforth not to be seduced by the siren's song of merch CM suggestions.

If it made you uncomfortable or raise an eyebrow, mention it to someone at Guest Services.

Complaints at guest services are taken seriously, so if the "hard sell" becomes company policy, I'd definitely bring it up that you don't want WDW to turn into that kind of place. I would try not to mention the CM by name or description unless the infraction was serious.

If it was just one over-enthusiastic cast member, I would probably just give them kind feedback directly (which I wish more people would do). Unless they're being directed by management to do the hard sell, they'll soon realize that it's not being received well. Complaints not only go into a CM's record, but are reviewed by their supervisors. With each supervisor managing hundreds/thousands of CMs, they don't know everyone well. A single negative impression can follow a CM's reputation around for a while, just as positive ones can help them.

This happened to me once. I was at Epcot buying a t-shirt at closing time, and the cast member noticed that I was an annual passholder, and she suddenly thought of something and said, "oooo... I think we still have a limited number of exclusive AP pins left." It was only then that I realized why there were long lines at the store all day, and why they had set up stanchions outside.

I don't collect pins and had no interest. But when she said the words, "limited" and "exclusive," I developed a serious case of FOMO (fear of missing out) and I bought $25 worth of pins I didn't need. For the past five years, they have been sitting in a desk drawer along with other trinkets, paperclips, ticket stubs, and dried out markers. I thought I'd put them up on eBay someday, but it feels like a lot of trouble. I vowed from that day henceforth not to be seduced by the siren's song of merch CM suggestions.

Sounds... rough?

Sounds... rough?

I know. I've thought about going to therapy about it, but the cost of a psychiatrist exceeds the $25 of the pins I spent. Well, to be fair, it was $22.50 after my discount, not including sales tax. So I figured I'd just power through.

Also, last time at Disney the hotel gave me some pixie dust with a complementary resort mug and extra FastPass, due to a relatively minor inconvenience, so I feel like I've come out ahead since.

Except the OP said they told the CM several times they were simply browsing while waiting on someone in the restroom. They did exactly as you stated and still got the hard sell. That’s the point of the original post. Not their inability to tell someone no. They did. Several times.

So you could just file a complaint about the CM who we've complained about not getting a living wage for being suggesting souvenirs and being "out of line". in a souvenir store . Your world.

You have obviously never worked retail. This is part of the job description in ANY retail job. Make contact with the customer. Ask if they need help finding anything. Suggest potentially relevant purchases based on what they are looking at, etc.
And when I worked retail I hated the constant push from managers. As an example I worked at DSW for a 1 1/2 years and we had headsets. The managers from time to time would check in on you and say "Hey Mackenzie what is that lady in red here for today? What kind of shoe is she looking for? Does she have a party to go to?", etc. I was pressured to get their whole life story AND pay attention to all the other customers too (leading to complaints that the employees weren't around when needed ..because we were off getting Suzie's Easter schedule complete with what she's having for brunch--I exaggerate but only slightly).

The thing is the longer you work in retail the better you are at reading your customers. There were times I spent 30-45mins planning a color coordinating outfit complete with costume jewelry, purse, and apparal (shoes were elsewhere) and then there were times where you could feel out that the customer just wanted to know that you were an employee if they needed help.

Probably, only guessing here though, that led to the OP having a feeling of harrassment was the level of non-active listening the CM was doing. Of course the CM was there to help and highly doubtful they meant anything of their approach so no I don't think the CM is a bad CM etc.

However the dialogue the OP had was:
~CM: "hey I see your an annual pass holder did you get the annual passholder pins?"
~OP: "I politely said no"

The CM could have said "Well just to let you know we got some wonderful 20th anniversary merchandise if you're interested just let me know and I would be happy to assist you".

Except the OP was then
~"directed me to the newest stuff she just got in the store" and the CM said "how they’d make a great souvenir for this trip" {now I don't know as it wasn't exactly mentioned in the OP if the OP had said "we're just browsing" before being directed to the newest stuff after they politely said no so that can change the interaction a bit}

Then the OP has to reenforce their disinterest by saying:
~"Again I told her we’re just browsing until my mom came back from the restroom." {again I don't know as it wasn't exactly mentioned in the OP if the OP had said "we're just browsing" before being directed to the newest stuff but with saying again it made me think the CM was already told they were just browsing but I'm not sure on that}

And again the CM said:
~then suggested great gifts for Mother’s Day"

The CM was great at picking up on the AP part just the "we're browsing" line by the OP wasn't exactly taken as "I'm really just browsing". Would I personally consider harrassment? No but I understand the frustration.

I get the hard sell about signing up for a Target Red Card every time I shop there. I tell them upfront that I am not interested and it NEVER stops them from trying to convince me (usually along the lines of "we also have a debit card if that works for you"). The worst hard sell was my last trip there a couple days ago. The gal actually said "Next time you come in, just bring a blank check so we can sign you up for the Red Debit card." I mean, come ON!

Doesn't stop me from shopping at Target, like 3 times a week, but it annoys me to no end. I don't fault the employees in these situations. They are often pressured into behaving this way. I bet they hate it as much as I do.

I get the hard sell about signing up for a Target Red Card every time I shop there. I tell them upfront that I am not interested and it NEVER stops them from trying to convince me (usually along the lines of "we also have a debit card if that works for you"). The worst hard sell was my last trip there a couple days ago. The gal actually said "Next time you come in, just bring a blank check so we can sign you up for the Red Debit card." I mean, come ON!

Doesn't stop me from shopping at Target, like 3 times a week, but it annoys me to no end. I don't fault the employees in these situations. They are often pressured into behaving this way. I bet they hate it as much as I do.

The target red card that saves you 5% on every purchase when you shop there three times a week? Heaven forbid the poor cashier tries to save you money.

Anyways, theres hard sell (greasy used car salesman) and then there is regular every day run of the mill retail sales. I cant every find anything in Mousegears. When I walk in with a Mickey Mouse Nike Dri-Fit polo I think its great someone notices im wearing the shirt and points me to the new colors they got in. Just me, but instead of being offended by a retail salesman, there is nothing wrong with smiling, saying no thank you, and walking away. Just like we all do at the DirecTV people doing there pitch at Sam's Cub

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter