Merchandise harassment has started

I get the hard sell about signing up for a Target Red Card every time I shop there. I tell them upfront that I am not interested and it NEVER stops them from trying to convince me (usually along the lines of "we also have a debit card if that works for you"). The worst hard sell was my last trip there a couple days ago. The gal actually said "Next time you come in, just bring a blank check so we can sign you up for the Red Debit card." I mean, come ON!

Doesn't stop me from shopping at Target, like 3 times a week, but it annoys me to no end. I don't fault the employees in these situations. They are often pressured into behaving this way. I bet they hate it as much as I do.

Have you ever been to Lush? They're notorious for this, it's company policy so I don't blame them but... I also don't shop there anymore because of it. The stores are about 10 square feet with 5 employees that breathe down your neck while being suspiciously cheerful... man, I just wanna smell some soap like a weirdo in peace! Even worse is lately I've been getting the same kind of overbearing upselling at gas station convenience stores. Am I looking for anything in particular? No, just trying to choose between sweet chili doritos or salt and vinegar, leave me to my shame :laughing:

The target red card that saves you 5% on every purchase when you shop there three times a week? Heaven forbid the poor cashier tries to save you money.

Anyways, theres hard sell (greasy used car salesman) and then there is regular every day run of the mill retail sales. I cant every find anything in Mousegears. When I walk in with a Mickey Mouse Nike Dri-Fit polo I think its great someone notices im wearing the shirt and points me to the new colors they got in. Just me, but instead of being offended by a retail salesman, there is nothing wrong with smiling, saying no thank you, and walking away. Just like we all do at the DirecTV people doing there pitch at Sam's Cub

I don't trust Target's security. Their Red Card system has been breached several times now. No thanks.

I don't trust Target's security. Their Red Card system has been breached several times now. No thanks.

But see stuff like this means that you are in the minority. If you boycotted any retailer or bank that had been breached you would have to pay cash everywhere. But...this is getting us off topic.

Most people appreciate someone in a retail store attending to them. If you dont, thats OK, but it isnt the end of the Disney Magic.

It is quite literally the CM's job to take an interest in the customer and make suggestions so that guests don't have to roam the store aimlessly. If you don't have enough control to say no to an item being offered, then the blame is on you.

I think some people are more sensitive to the hard sell than others. Me, I have no problem giving someone the stink eye if they continue after I say I am just browsing, but then I let it go. My sister is very sensitive and if a sales person even starts heading toward her, she will leave the store and likely never return to it again. I have played decoy many times when the two of us were out shopping so the salesperson would leave her alone. She doesn’t want to be bothered unless she initiates the contact. So in the OP’s case, I would have just given a firm No Thanks, but my sister would have immediately left the store. It’s probably difficult for the CM to know which way it will go at first, but they shouldn’t keep trying after a guest has said no.

I get the hard sell about signing up for a Target Red Card every time I shop there. I tell them upfront that I am not interested and it NEVER stops them from trying to convince me (usually along the lines of "we also have a debit card if that works for you"). The worst hard sell was my last trip there a couple days ago. The gal actually said "Next time you come in, just bring a blank check so we can sign you up for the Red Debit card." I mean, come ON!

I used to get this years ago when I shopped at Fashion Bug. You had to say no to their credit card about 5 times. It always irritated me. Then one day, There was a huge line and only one person working the register. The lady would not take no for an answer, despite the fact that I had been in line for at least 20 minutes and there were 6 people behind me waiting. I wigged out on her and told her off, and I never set foot in the store again. They went out of business.

Of all the things one has to worry about it life... I'm fairly certainly getting harassed by Disney World employees to buy a pin is not one of them.
I agree we shouldn't have to worry about something like this occurring at WDW! However, after listening to the podcast & their take on how WDW is going to amp up their hard sells due to the restructuring, and their warnings to us that this is coming, it is something that concerns me. That would ruin the magic very quickly for us.

I agree we shouldn't have to worry about something like this occurring at WDW! However, after listening to the podcast & their take on how WDW is going to amp up their hard sells due to the restructuring, and their warnings to us that this is coming, it is something that concerns me. That would ruin the magic very quickly for us.
I think the members of the podcast are worried that it may happen, not that it is going to happen. Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not.

I’ve never got a hard sell. They did ask if I needed any help but when I declined they left me alone.

I think the members of the podcast are worried that it may happen, not that it is going to happen. Will it happen? Maybe, maybe not.

I’ve never got a hard sell. They did ask if I needed any help but when I declined they left me alone.

Normally my experience too! Usually if a cast member comes by they ask you can I help you with anything, or is there something that I can assist you with this was a complete hard sell and I was just making a note of it. We are the smartest/largest Disney community fan group so I was simply noting a (maybe one time) experience I’ve had that was a bit odd/off.

I guess I’ll be careful from now on for making notice or @Tonyz will make snarky commentary!

Last edited:
Normally my experience too! Usually if a cast member comes by they ask you can I help you with anything, or is there something that I can assist you with this was a complete hard sell and I was just making a note of it. We are the smartest/largest Disney community fan group so I was simply noting a (maybe one time) experience I’ve had that was a bit odd/off.

I guess I’ll be careful from now on for making notice or @Tonyz will make snarky commentary!
I’ll keep an eye out when I go out there over Halloween . Maybe it’s changed since the last time I’ve been there. I will see.

I’ve experienced similar things like that in other parts of the forums but now I just ignore it.

Don't be put off. I reckon most of us knew what you meant. :thumbsup2

If it happens to me when I visit WDW next month, I’ll just do what I do when those annoying kiosk workers at the mall try to approach me: start screaming “NO NO NO NO NO NO” and then stiff-arm them right back into their kiosk.

Then run away from mall security.

Barnes & Noble never fails to ask about their discount card especially when I buy my tea. I always tell them I have the educators cards so it wouldn't make sense for me to buy their card.

Doesn't stop me from shopping at Target, like 3 times a week, but it annoys me to no end. I don't fault the employees in these situations. They are often pressured into behaving this way. I bet they hate it as much as I do.

I just tell them I don't trust them with my information since they have already proven they can't hold onto it. As much as we'd save with the Red Card I don't trust them with the information needed to get it. Risk > reward in this case.

I just tell them I don't trust them with my information since they have already proven they can't hold onto it. As much as we'd save with the Red Card I don't trust them with the information needed to get it. Risk > reward in this case.

I feel exactly the same way and I have told them so many times. So many of the newer employees have no idea what I'm even talking about.

Was the name tag blue? If so, she's a CM who's been recognized with the Legacy Award. CMs are nominated for that award by their peers for going above and beyond to improve guests' experience in an exceptional way.

This is really interesting! Never knew that about the blue name tags. Maybe that's the answer right there.

As someone who has worked in retail for over 25 years, it seems like she was just giving great guest service. The CM's should interact with you, the ones in the store are there to help you and assist you with your purchases. Sometimes we get excited when we see new things and want to share that with you. Its not a hard sell. Its just being in the service industry and caring about the guest experience

Its not a hard sell. Its just being in the service industry and caring about the guest experience
It becomes a hard sell when someone says they are just browsing and they are ignored. If a customer told you "I'm just browsing" especially more than once would you continue to try and show new items? Or would you accept that the customer, at that time, is indeed just browsing?

It becomes a hard sell when someone says they are just browsing and they are ignored. If a customer told you "I'm just browsing" especially more than once would you continue to try and show new items? Or would you accept that the customer, at that time, is indeed just browsing?
Depends on how they say it and the other cue's they give. Ill check in on them but also on the Loss prevention side of things if I get that vibe Im going to be coming around and talking up a storm.

Depends on how they say it and the other cue's they give. Ill check in on them but also on the Loss prevention side of things if I get that vibe Im going to be coming around and talking up a storm.
You're reading your customer. I don't think the OP got the impression that the CM was listening to them (verbal comments and non-verbal clues). It usually starts as customer service but can quickly feel like badgering, or hard selling depending on how the CM reads their customer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!