Marathon Weekend Weather Thread

So I assume if the race is cancelled tomorrow that Dopey/Goofy Challengers will only get the marathon medal on Sunday?

That would be incorrect based on all the information I've seen and RunDisney's past actions. Challenge medals should be awarded as planned. It's not like they can keep the medals for use next year, after all.

How we feel about a shortened challenge medal is a different question. Kind of like the Wine&Dine half of a half medals.

That's true. Yeah, my husband and I have been talking about it this afternoon. Whether it really feels "earned" if we got the medal without completing all the races. Here's hoping for no lightning!

Can't believe there is a chance for lightening and another shortened or cancelled race for me. My first half was the 2015 wine and dine that was shortened. This is supposed to be my "redemption race". If this one is shortened or called due to lightening I think I might need to consider that some higher power is telling me I shouldn't do a half marathon

I quit training, for various reasons, so I decided just to eat the $$ and not do the 1/2 tomorrow.
I wasn't even going to pick up my packet. (Cause, why?)
But if they cancel the 1/2 entirely due to weather, will they refund people? And will only people who pick up their packets get said refund?
I'll stop by today and pick my shirt up if that's the case.

I was also a runner of the Wine and Dine half of a half in 2015, and it was such a disappointment. Thinking good, lightning free thoughts for you all!

My weather bug app looks encouraging - sadly every other weather predictor not so much. Come on weather bug!!

That would be incorrect based on all the information I've seen and RunDisney's past actions. Challenge medals should be awarded as planned. It's not like they can keep the medals for use next year, after all.

How we feel about a shortened challenge medal is a different question. Kind of like the Wine&Dine half of a half medals.
So if you're feeling cheated just do another lap of WWOS Sunday...

In all seriousness, hopefully the Lightning stay in Tampa Bay and away from Epcot/MK tomorrow. For Sunday though, the nearby Walmart has $2 knit caps, $4 sweatshirts, and $10 hoodies. Makes me almost wonder if Disney doesn't contract with Walmart to collect the discarded cold weather gear, dust it off, slap some stickers on them, and put 'em back on the shelves...

I quit training, for various reasons, so I decided just to eat the $$ and not do the 1/2 tomorrow.
I wasn't even going to pick up my packet. (Cause, why?)
But if they cancel the 1/2 entirely due to weather, will they refund people? And will only people who pick up their packets get said refund?
I'll stop by today and pick my shirt up if that's the case.
No refunds for anyone. That's what we agree to when we register.

We're staying at Caribbean Beach and another Dopey participant at the bus stop said she's doing 13.1 miles around the lake tomorrow if the race is cancelled to "earn" her medal :tiptoe:

I would hope that if there is a flat out cancellation that RD would offer some kind of credit for a future race. Even when NYC Marathon was cancelled a few years ago they gave everyone guaranteed entry within three years I believe. It would be a nice goodwill gesture.

Can't believe there is a chance for lightening and another shortened or cancelled race for me. My first half was the 2015 wine and dine that was shortened. This is supposed to be my "redemption race". If this one is shortened or called due to lightening I think I might need to consider that some higher power is telling me I shouldn't do a half marathon
I am so sorry! I really hope for your sake and for any others who this is their one and only runDisney race that you get to do the complete half marathon. I was also at the 2015 Wine and Dine, which was my first Disney race and was supposed to be my first half marathon, so I know the feeling well. I, however, fortunately got my half marathon redemption locally a few months later and my runDisney redemption at Wine and Dine this past year. I feel better about that, but still feel a bit let down on missing out on the true nighttime Wine and Dine experience. I was so paranoid about the weather leading up to the race in 2016. And I as well thought I was getting a sign about not being meant to do a half marathon for my local race. The weather that day was extremely hot, and they ended up calling a red flag and cancelling official timing partway through. So while we were allowed to finish, I completed the distance but don't have an official time from that race. So Wine and Dine 2016 is my first officially recorded half marathon.

And this is why I don't believe in global warming...the geniuses in accuweather and weather.com are contradicting each other's predicitions and we are less than 12 hours out...come on. In one case weather.com shows better weather if they delay like 3 hours, while accuweather shows thunder/lightning but better if you start 2 hours early. Really? So, basically they just throw darts at a randomnly moving target and or pull this out of some hat.

Ugh. I have the worst luck! Looks like we are not running the half. Words can't express my disappointment. Time to open a bottle of wine. Good luck on Sunday marathon runners, at Least I still get to cheer on the hubby

Let's have a 1st Anniversary DIS Half Marathon run tomorrow.

I won't run it because I'm tired but you all can. :teeth:

Oops, wrong thread

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter