Marathon Weekend Weather Thread

mr incredibleS1

Mouseketeer
Is it too early to start obsessing over the weather yet? Accu Weather has a 90 day forecast up showing 44-46 degrees for rhe lows and 66-75 for the highs with the coolest day being Sunday, and sunny to rather cloudy. I will take that for weather!

Is it too early to start obsessing over the weather yet? Accu Weather has a 90 day forecast up showing 44-46 degrees for rhe lows and 66-75 for the highs with the coolest day being Sunday, and sunny to rather cloudy. I will take that for weather!

Yeah that will probably change 68 times between now and Marathon weekend,I would say December 30th would be the time to start looking at it.

Until meteorologists can accurately predict YESTERDAY's weather, I won't even bother looking at anything more than 12 hours ahead, or for that matter if Climate Change is real....hahahaha, now you know my politics. Oh and, yes, actually I am a Rocket Scientist!

It's not really worth worrying about until the week of. Even then, this year it looked like it was going to rain all day on Marathon day. In the end, it ended up pouring the morning of the 10K and then the weather was relatively nice (albeit hot and humid, AKA Florida Weather, on Sunday).

Start working on your packing list to be prepared for anything - Dollar Store throw-away ponchos are your best friend for race weekends.

It's not really worth worrying about until the week of. Even then, this year it looked like it was going to rain all day on Marathon day. In the end, it ended up pouring the morning of the 10K and then the weather was relatively nice (albeit hot and humid, AKA Florida Weather, on Sunday).

Start working on your packing list to be prepared for anything - Dollar Store throw-away ponchos are your best friend for race weekends.

Cheap sweats from Goodwill are great for keeping warm before races too.

Yes, too early. At this point looking at recent historical weather will probably give you the best idea of what to expect. I personally use Temperature + Dew Point as an assessment of the conditions for running. It isn't perfect because there are a ton of weather related variables that impact running, but I like it best.

Screen Shot 2016-12-05 at 7.59.59 PM.png

I took a sampling of three different WDW weekend type days as well as the weather during the morning (earliest available sampling time was 6:45am). It's pretty clear from this the weather can be variable from year to year, from day to day within a year, and during an individual day. Best be prepared for all types of situations. I personally like it when T+D is between 80-100 (or somewhat like 40-50 degrees dependent on dew point).

From my very rudimentary understanding of meteorology (which is practically zero), temps predictions are more accurate than not until 5 days out, and precipitation is more accurate than not predictions 3 days out. Anything further out than that and the weather prediction is then less than 50% accurate. So, that's to say, we've got a long ways to go.

We can look now, but it won't get "accurate" until probably 3 days out. Disney on Ice (Goofy 2010) was not forecast to be that cold until Friday if I recall and we had snow/sleet for the half and subfreezing temperatures for the full. Most of us were already in FL by then. Pack for every weather contingency and, as others have stated, tossable ponchos and disposable sweats from thrift stores are good ideas.

Weather monitoring and tracking is a good use of the energy/restlessness caused by Taper Madness.

We can look now, but it won't get "accurate" until probably 3 days out. Disney on Ice (Goofy 2010) was not forecast to be that cold until Friday if I recall and we had snow/sleet for the half and subfreezing temperatures for the full. Most of us were already in FL by then. Pack for every weather contingency and, as others have stated, tossable ponchos and disposable sweats from thrift stores are good ideas.

Weather monitoring and tracking is a good use of the energy/restlessness caused by Taper Madness.

The sleet wasn't forecast until a day or so before the race, but the cold sure was. We stocked up on sweats in Houston earlier in the week before heading over to our Florida house.

I was kind of joking when I said is it too early to start obsessing about the weather. (but I will right after Christmas!) I do remember the cold in 2010 where there was ice forming on the ground at the water stops. I looked at the week long forecast before flying down and saw that it was going to be cold and packed my Under Armour Cold gear that I use to run here in Massachusetts. I would rather it not be that cold, but would prefer cold to wet any day.

I was kind of joking when I said is it too early to start obsessing about the weather. (but I will right after Christmas!) I do remember the cold in 2010 where there was ice forming on the ground at the water stops. I looked at the week long forecast before flying down and saw that it was going to be cold and packed my Under Armour Cold gear that I use to run here in Massachusetts. I would rather it not be that cold, but would prefer cold to wet any day.
Obsessively checking weather is part of the fun of anticipation! Especially once taper time starts, need to find something, constructive or not, to waste your mental energy on.

Give me temps in the 40s at race start, and I'm good to go. It's cold for waiting around, but sweats usually do the trick for me. Anything colder than that, and waiting around for race start becomes miserable.

Right now 10 day forecast for orlando highs range from 72-85 lows 54-67

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'd be thrilled if the forecast stayed in those ranges. I don't mind running when it's warm and I hate a cold wait for a race start more than just about anything.

Right now 10 day forecast for orlando highs range from 72-85 lows 54-67

The low end of those ranges look like nice running weather. If it was on the high end, I think that'd make for a tolerable half and pretty warm marathon.

The low end of those ranges look like nice running weather. If it was on the high end, I think that'd make for a tolerable half and pretty warm marathon.

So, basically just like this year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter