Marathon Weekend 2024

Sitting at MCO with fingers crossed! Woke this morning to a notice of a four hour delay. Got the pet sitter to agree to stay longer, talked the resort into a late stay and got our shuttle reassigned and slept for a bit! Glorious. But woke to anxiety about getting home as weather in Michigan is not looking good.

Once to the airport we were delayed again to 4:47. But as I type this the plane has pulled in! Hoping it will actually leave on time. We have a pet sitter who is ready to be done, two stressed daughters and a sick wife - good times…

Sitting at MCO with fingers crossed! Woke this morning to a notice of a four hour delay. Got the pet sitter to agree to stay longer, talked the resort into a late stay and got our shuttle reassigned and slept for a bit! Glorious. But woke to anxiety about getting home as weather in Michigan is not looking good.

Once to the airport we were delayed again to 4:47. But as I type this the plane has pulled in! Hoping it will actually leave on time. We have a pet sitter who is ready to be done, two stressed daughters and a sick wife - good times…
Good luck! Hopefully you can get on the plane and get out before it gets really bad.

We were delayed about 12 hours yesterday due to the Boeing 900 series issue instead of weather. Our original flight was cancelled and after a long hold to get us all on the same flight instead of split (we booked under two confirmation numbers) they took care of it. A 7 year old getting home at 11:00 on a school night isn't ideal but we haven't gotten any teacher emails yet so that is good.

Totally forgot to mention, don't pack Christmas gifts in your luggage that are still new in the wrapper. My son got a nice bottle of cologne for Xmas. He checked two bags yesterday to go back to school, a regular suitcase and baseball gear bag. He had the cologne in his regular suitcase. When he got his luggage and opened it up, he found the cologne box ripped apart, cologne is gone, and the torn box was in his baseball gear bag.
You should report that to TSA. They take those claims seriously and I've heard of people getting refunds for items stolen/damaged.

Oh, boy, you've had quite an extended weekend! I hope you get back safely tomorrow.
Nope. We’re rebooked on Saturday, the first available. Good news is the kids’ connecting flight was held for them so they got home. Having to take extra days off would have messed up our Princess weekend plans. Also good, we got to extend here, with a discount. Now watching the weather on the local channel. Hold on to those ears, everyone!

Feeling lucky to have timed this years flights between storms, no troubles either way. Booked a backup SW flight with points just in case but didn’t need it. Left MCO at 9 this AM on a plane that arrived from San Juan. Was stalking flight aware and airport weather for every waking moment and all looked good.
Of course I did arrive in my driveway about 1 PM to 14” of wet snow. Yay.

I cancelled my park reservation and my 12:00pm Topolino's breakfast and hurried on back to Tampa to beat the storm. We only got some wind and a little rain where I live--by Florida standards it was nothing at all--but I'm glad not to be out on I-4. I don't like I-4 in the best of weather!

Good luck getting home, everybody, and take care!

Marathon Weekend 2024, the adventure that won’t end. Sitting at the gate waiting for my delayed flight when we get a tornado warning for the airport. Good luck finding an area without windows. Most people congregating in the food court area. This isn’t going to help the flight situation!

🌪️🌪️🌪️🐄🐄🐄🌪️🌪️🌪️

We were about to go to Animal Kingdom since my son wanted to ride flight of passage. But when I wasn’t even able to start counting between seeing/hearing the lightning, that plan was abandoned. Instead I promised him I’d pay for a LL for him to ride another day when it’s safe.

Marathon Weekend 2024, the adventure that won’t end. Sitting at the gate waiting for my delayed flight when we get a tornado warning for the airport. Good luck finding an area without windows. Most people congregating in the food court area. This isn’t going to help the flight situation!

🌪️🌪️🌪️🐄🐄🐄🌪️🌪️🌪️
I didn’t even realize what was happening. We heard peoples phones going off but mine never did. I was standing with a CM lifeguard staring out the giant windows on the first floor of riviera trying to get a better look. 😬

🌪️🌪️🌪️🐄🐄🐄🌪️🌪️🌪️
I was watching the live coverage on WESH and thinking you were probably sitting in the middle of it.

I was working from my room at Kidani with the balcony door open and BOOM! The closest, biggest bolt of lightning I've ever seen hit just on the other side of the building! The animals all started running and the crowned cranes were all squawking like mad. About 10 seconds later the torrential rain started and the temp dropped about 20 degrees. The rain bands keep coming through and parts of the savanna are little ponds and rivers now.

I guess my plan to pop back out to catch Fantasmic are probably shot, as I sit here listening to thunder still rolling. It's just as well as my Lyft picks up at 7:30am to begin my trip out west.

Stay safe, everyone!

Last edited:
I guess my plan to pop back out to catch Fantasmic are probably shot, as I sit here listening to thunder still rolling.
I’m sitting on a bus to MK to hopefully catch the fireworks. Going to scan in and stand in the back and then high tail it out before I’m trampled. Hopefully this little trip won’t be in vain! I think it’s should lighten up in 30 minutes or so.

That’s so sad. And it’s only going to make reselling worse! :sad2:
I really don’t want to be cynical but I had a long conversation with a cast member at DHS on Saturday - she was chatting with me because I was wearing last year’s marathon jacket. She worked checkout the morning the expo opened. She said it was insane - almost everyone at the start was checking out with 2 of every size of the Dopey jackets. She said that they were supposed to ask who they were for and of course, everyone had a story of friends or family. They were very strict about enforcing the max of 2 of each item but they know they are reselling . Some transactions were well over $1000 and her average transaction value for her shift was $750. $750 on average! With this type of demand I just don’t see Disney cracking down more than they are doing now (I know - I said I didn’t want to be cynical).

If runners could get the Merch they wanted, I wouldn’t care about resellers. I really think the only solution is to allow runners to pre-order the merch for any race they are registered for and there should be pictures. I know Disney wants to build suspense but all that does is hurt the people (runners) who are spending money on races, resorts, park tickets AND merch. Allow pre-orders and I think everyone would be happy. (And no bundles unless it’s optional and discounted!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter