Marathon Weekend 2024

Finally made it to Houston at 11pm CST last night. We ended up taking off from MCO around 7:30pm EST. We were supposed to have left a little earlier, once we boarded the plane IAH shut down again and said no inbound flights to take off. So we had to wait on the plane for 45 minutes before we could push back. Then when we were getting ready to push back, there were three airline attendants who were passengers that decided to get off to get on a different plane. Because of that, they had to re-weigh the plane. After all that got done, finally took off.

It usually takes 1:50 to 2 hours for the flight from MCO to IAH. This one took 3.5 hours. We had to fly through the Gulf of Mexico, around the storm in the south Texas area, over to the Corpus Christi area, make a u-turn, and then fly into the backside of the storm into Houston. Once we get to IAH, we land on the farthest runway away from the Southwest terminal. LOL. So after taxing for a long time, we get to the gate and a lightning storm hits. The pilot tells us that all the operations people had to go inside so there is no one to bring the skybridge to us or get our luggage off the plane until the storm has passed. I thought people were going to storm the door. LOL. After 10 minutes, he finally coerced someone to connect the walkway so we could get out of the plane, but he said our luggage wouldn't be available anytime soon. It took about 45 minutes for the luggage to come off the plane. A lot of people were just leaving and saying they would pick it up tomorrow. Definitely a long day to end a Disney trip.

Finally made it to Houston at 11pm CST last night. We ended up taking off from MCO around 7:30pm EST. We were supposed to have left a little earlier, once we boarded the plane IAH shut down again and said no inbound flights to take off. So we had to wait on the plane for 45 minutes before we could push back. Then when we were getting ready to push back, there were three airline attendants who were passengers that decided to get off to get on a different plane. Because of that, they had to re-weigh the plane. After all that got done, finally took off.

It usually takes 1:50 to 2 hours for the flight from MCO to IAH. This one took 3.5 hours. We had to fly through the Gulf of Mexico, around the storm in the south Texas area, over to the Corpus Christi area, make a u-turn, and then fly into the backside of the storm into Houston. Once we get to IAH, we land on the farthest runway away from the Southwest terminal. LOL. So after taxing for a long time, we get to the gate and a lightning storm hits. The pilot tells us that all the operations people had to go inside so there is no one to bring the skybridge to us or get our luggage off the plane until the storm has passed. I thought people were going to storm the door. LOL. After 10 minutes, he finally coerced someone to connect the walkway so we could get out of the plane, but he said our luggage wouldn't be available anytime soon. It took about 45 minutes for the luggage to come off the plane. A lot of people were just leaving and saying they would pick it up tomorrow. Definitely a long day to end a Disney trip.
Sounds like we had a similar experience, we were stuck in the IAH luggage room for around 45 min waiting for luggage, then they unloaded 3-4 planes worth all onto the same luggage carousel so it just started spilling over and damaging bags as they were crushed between other bags and the equipment...

Glad to be home, trying to get stuff washed and packed for tomorrow. Thankfully the storm knocked out power at work and I'm able to WFH today.

How long were you actually in the plane after all that?
I think we were in the plane for about 4.5 hours between the actual flight time, boarding, and waiting time. We got to MCO around noon yesterday, sat around for 6.5 hours before getting on the plane.

Good luck to those flying out today. I heard there is a storm coming in this afternoon.

I THREW AWAY SOME THROWAWAY CLOTHES - FINALLY!!!!!
I did too! This was a big deal for me (and hard) 😂

I got out of MCO with no issues this morning (and no security line!), but my connecting flight is coming from Atlanta so I’m delayed at least two hours here in Austin. I don’t mind, have plenty of time to spare and work to do, but I’ll feel better when flightaware tells me that plane has taken off. I’m heading to San Diego to see family before C2C, so shouldn’t be weather issues on that end 🤞

I think we were in the plane for about 4.5 hours between the actual flight time, boarding, and waiting time. We got to MCO around noon yesterday, sat around for 6.5 hours before getting on the plane.

Good luck to those flying out today. I heard there is a storm coming in this afternoon.
A couple of my mom's friends were trying to get to Houston for the game, and missed the whole thing. They had to connect in Dallas, and after several delays, boarded, and got delayed again because of Air Force One. They ended up watching the game on a UT fan's laptop in the terminal because they couldn't get their phones to pick up the wi-fi. Definitely a trip for storytelling.

My Garmin is definitely not as nice. Is that a paid feature you have to download? LOL
With the last update, it started giving me a daily stress check in the evening. Usually it tells me I've had a stressful day or an easy day. I've never actually seen this message before. So apparently Garmin endorses DATW as a healthy, balanced activity!

Totally forgot to mention, don't pack Christmas gifts in your luggage that are still new in the wrapper. My son got a nice bottle of cologne for Xmas. He checked two bags yesterday to go back to school, a regular suitcase and baseball gear bag. He had the cologne in his regular suitcase. When he got his luggage and opened it up, he found the cologne box ripped apart, cologne is gone, and the torn box was in his baseball gear bag.

A couple of my mom's friends were trying to get to Houston for the game, and missed the whole thing. They had to connect in Dallas, and after several delays, boarded, and got delayed again because of Air Force One. They ended up watching the game on a UT fan's laptop in the terminal because they couldn't get their phones to pick up the wi-fi. Definitely a trip for storytelling.
Exact same thing happened to my friends--same flights from Dallas! After being canceled from MCO

My garmin is never so nice. Stress level flew up here when DDs and DSIL got caught in the airline web. They will miss connections and maybe get home tomorrow. Just now I got notification our flight tomorrow afternoon is cancelled. I hope we can extend here and not have to move. Flying is always an adventure.
Oh, boy, you've had quite an extended weekend! I hope you get back safely tomorrow.

Sorry to have missed DATW today. My DD and I were at Epcot this morning and she started feeling unwell. She told me to stay and head to DATW but I didn’t want to do that to her so we made the decision to simply head back home early to avoid the weather tomorrow.

Always hard when these weekends come to an end. Great seeing all the imaginary people from the boards and listening to all the great stories from race day and beyond. Already looking forward to the next one!

Good luck and safe travels to everyone as you head home.
Great to see you on Friday and thanks for the Yuengling!

With the last update, it started giving me a daily stress check in the evening. Usually it tells me I've had a stressful day or an easy day. I've never actually seen this message before. So apparently Garmin endorses DATW as a healthy, balanced activity!
I received the same message yesterday. Conversely, I've had recovery days where I'm watching TV with the DW and it pops up a message that I'm in some sort of stressful activity and need a break.
Go figure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter