Marathon Weekend 2024

I don't post very much but I wanted to say thank you to everyone for all of the advice. I usually read the forums on my lunch break and have learned so much about how to submit my POT, register, and tips for the race itself! Had a great first marathon (despite the 20 minute downpour outside animal kingdom) and will definitely be looking to come back (and maybe try goofy?) Probably won't be able to make it work until 2027 given the timing of the weekend but will continue to read and enjoy all of your journeys. Congrats to anyone who ran this weekend! :-)

Joining in on the going-home fun. Michigan is supposed to be getting a big storm starting at 1am. At home we are supposed to get 8-12in of snow and 35min wind gusts, and Detroit (where we are flying in) is either freezing rain or 5-9in depending on where you look.

Can’t control it 🤷🏻‍♀️
Yeah. This is a massive storm system. Be careful getting home.

Sorry to have missed DATW today. My DD and I were at Epcot this morning and she started feeling unwell. She told me to stay and head to DATW but I didn’t want to do that to her so we made the decision to simply head back home early to avoid the weather tomorrow.

Always hard when these weekends come to an end. Great seeing all the imaginary people from the boards and listening to all the great stories from race day and beyond. Already looking forward to the next one!

Good luck and safe travels to everyone as you head home.

Race report.

1. I made it back to Atlanta with no issues. Not looking forward to the very high winds and intense rain forecasted for tonight and tomorrow. There are flash flood warnings.
2. It was great to see everyone at the meetups, expo, resorts, parks, etc. It's always nice to put faces with the screen names.
3. I brought a pair of Walmart ex-cheapo towels to sit/lay on before the races. Unfortunately, I did not do so for the half, and didn't sit down, so that was a lot of standing before we ever took a step. I did not make that mistake on Sunday morning.
4. For the half, I didn't worry about my Tyvek jacket before the race, and saved it for after, which turned out to be a good decision as it made a good raincoat. FWIW, I found them on Amazon.
5. My comment on the shortened half: I think they made the best decision possible with the available information. I hated missing the MK, but it did start raining right as I finished the half and it really started coming down as we were boarding the bus. Between the race and the parks, I put in a total of 22 miles on Saturday, so no, I did not do any extra running for the half.
6. For the full, I took my towel and my Tyvek jacket, found a spot next to one of the fences, and was able to rest my back while waiting to start. The guy next to me was an older guy who had his bib signed by Galloway himself, and in talking to him found out he lives about 5 minutes from me.
7. Herding Cats had asked if anyone wanted to run with her. I was in a corral behind her, but was going to be running as faster time until the MK, and figured I should catch up around mile 9 or 10, and indeed did so! That was the first time I've ever had someone to run with, and it sure made the miles go by faster.
8. I was in the narrow course area outside of Epcot (at the beginning) and here comes the 5:30 pace group. And they walk and run in like 30-second intervals! So the pace leader is telling the rest of us to move over so they can run, as if they aren't going to almost immediately be walking again. Grrrr. I was glad to get past them and have the road open up.
9. I *hated* the rain and having my shoes and socks wet. That is not fun. Yes, I like the cooler temps, but not the wet feet.
10. Don't even get me started on missing EE because they were going to make us get in the regular line. So I rode the Triceratops Spin. Later, someone told me they were able to ride Rockin' Roller Coaster in just ten minutes.
11. Finished with an unexpected burst of speed and was totally surprised to hear my name called out. That was a treat.
12. Pop Century literally rolled out the red carpet for us, had race pins, and signs for photo ops. Really nice of them.
13. After recuperating, I headed to MK and was very impressed with the level of care one of the cast members was taking with medal and castle photos.
14. Enjoyed dinner with AJruns and back-to-back Tron rides before the ride closed. That ride is a hoot!
15. Checked my Garmin as I turned in for the night: a ridiculous 72,409 steps, 36.5 miles, and 5,982 calories burned on Sunday. Wow.

Not sure when I'll do my next rD race, but this was fun and went well.

View attachment 824248

Yes, Garmin. Yes they are!
My garmin is never so nice. Stress level flew up here when DDs and DSIL got caught in the airline web. They will miss connections and maybe get home tomorrow. Just now I got notification our flight tomorrow afternoon is cancelled. I hope we can extend here and not have to move. Flying is always an adventure.

Congratulations to everyone who raced this weekend. It was definitely memorable.

DATW was so much fun, I'm glad I worked up the courage to go. Thanks for making a newbie feel so welcome! See some of you again in a few days.

Now off to pack and worry about whether or not I'll actually get to fly home tomorrow.

I have an important post-event update to share:

I THREW AWAY SOME THROWAWAY CLOTHES - FINALLY!!!!! :banana:

Still went home with 2 $2 blankets I’ve now had for 4 race seasons, an old fleece 1/2 zip, and an old pair of PJ bottoms. But I got rid of a fleece jacket, my son’s PJ bottoms he outgrew almost 10 years ago, 2 pair of gloves, and a Mylar. Somehow still have the ponchos.

I have an important post-event update to share:

I THREW AWAY SOME THROWAWAY CLOTHES - FINALLY!!!!! :banana:

Still went home with 2 $2 blankets I’ve now had for 4 race seasons, an old fleece 1/2 zip, and an old pair of PJ bottoms. But I got rid of a fleece jacket, my son’s PJ bottoms he outgrew almost 10 years ago, 2 pair of gloves, and a Mylar. Somehow still have the ponchos.
Me too and wish I didn’t when it started to rain during the full. I had a kids extra large new balance windbreaker that I picked up at a thrift store I think in 2010 cuz it was new balance and my kid might grow into it. She did grow into it, but never wore it because it was so ugly by today’s standards. I have been bringing it to every race since 2018. I tossed it before heading to MK. How I wish I had it back after leaving MK 😂 Still have the same pair of throwaway gloves I’ve been using since 2019 though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter