Marathon Weekend 2023

Don’t wish too much for drastic temperature drops unless you like rain. When FL gets cold fronts we always get massive rain storms first which sometimes includes thunder and lightning.

ETA: My memory sucks lately. I believe the storms before a cold front is what canceled the 2018 half during MW.
I've been meaning to reach out...how are you feeling now about MW? I hope that you got your groove back.

Don’t wish too much for drastic temperature drops unless you like rain. When FL gets cold fronts we always get massive rain storms first which sometimes includes thunder and lightning.

ETA: My memory sucks lately. I believe the storms before a cold front is what canceled the 2018 half during MW.
Thats my biggest concern, I just don't want lightning (2017 half, anyone?).

I've been meaning to reach out...how are you feeling now about MW? I hope that you got your groove back.
Better! I haven’t been able to run much though due to some medical issues. Going in for a small procedure tomorrow morning and I can’t run for 7 days so December is pretty much down the drain for running 👎 I’ll be fine for Dopey. I ran Goofy in 2020 way less trained than I am now.

That was 2017.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 15-32-40 Weather in January 2017 in Orlando Florida USA.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-20 at 15-32-40 Weather in January 2017 in Orlando Florida USA.png
    93 KB · Views: 14
RACE - 5k
NAME - Keith
DIS'er name -
Neon Cactus
Costume/Clothing - Not sure yet, no costume
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration -
Club runDisney Platinum? -
(Yes or No) No
Pre-Race Meet-up? - (Yes or No) Yes
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - usually middle
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Expected Race Pace - 14-15 (walking most of it)

RACE - 10k
NAME - Keith
DIS'er name -
Neon Cactus
Costume/Clothing - Probably NYC Finisher shirt
(Yes or No) No
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - probably middle
Expected Race Pace - 14-15 (walking a majority of it)

RACE - Half
NAME - Keith
DIS'er name -
Neon Cactus
Costume/Clothing - Tower of Terror 10 Miler shirt
Club runDisney Platinum? - (Yes or No) No
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Middle
Expected Race Pace - 14-15

RACE - Full
NAME - Keith
DIS'er name -
Neon Cactus
Costume/Clothing - Only Murders in the Building shirt
(Yes or No) No
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Middle
Expected Race Pace - 14-15

@jrsharp21 very true! I am a control freak so that aspect of driving to the races is very appealing to me. I’ve just never done it before!

————

Well, my last long workout (combination of running/walking/biking due to recovery from hip soreness) was a bust. My kid brought home some mystery virus from daycare late last week and I found myself feeling *off* just as I was starting my last long workout on Saturday morning. I decided to call it early (about 4 miles in) and by nighttime it was clear that I’d caught the daycare crud. I think I’m starting to feel better now, which is good as it seems it’s my husband’s turn to be sick. So at least we’ve had one functioning adult in the house. Not the way I wanted training to end, but nothing’s really gone the way I’d hoped anyway with this hip soreness, so… 🤷🏼‍♀️ it is what it is.

I did want to share something that came up elsewhere. Last time I did the marathon, I came into it really unsure that I’d finish, again due to an injury (perhaps 26.2 just doesn’t agree with me anymore??!). During the race itself, it helped me a lot to break the course up into a series of smaller milestones/goals I needed to hit. It made the whole thing seem less scary. This is how I’d think of the marathon in smaller (though not even) chunks…hope it helps someone!

• ⁠Start - Epcot
• ⁠Epcot - Magic Kingdom
• ⁠Hit double digits (i.e. mile 10)
• ⁠Hit the halfway point (i.e. 13.1, they have had a flag marking this in the past)
• ⁠Animal Kingdom
• ⁠Hit 17 miles —> remaining mileage in the single digits (approximately)
• ⁠Hit the 20 mile mark, just a 10K left and you’ve done thousands (hyperbole??) of 10Ks in your training
• ⁠Hollywood Studios/mile 23, just a 5K(ish) left and you’ve done thousands (hyperbole??) of 5Ks in your training
• ⁠Epcot
• ⁠Finish!

And for the half:

• ⁠Start to 3.1, first 5K done
• ⁠Mile 4, remaining mileage in the single digits (approximately)
• ⁠Magic Kingdom
• ⁠Between miles 6 and 7 is halfway
• ⁠Mile 10, just a 5K left and you’ve done thousands (exaggerating much? Or maybe not for some of you??) of 5Ks during your training
• ⁠Epcot
• ⁠Finish!

10K is easy, it’s the boring first half and the fun second half. 5K - parking lot and then Epcot and then finish.
THANK YOU!! This "list" along with the videos are exactly what I needed to make those maps coherent 😁👏

If anyone knows of any charities or travel agents that have 5k or 10k bibs, I would be very grateful. Looking for my son.
I got myself and my kid a 5 K with dragonmaster on Sunday. https://p2p.onecause.com/2023wdwmarathon emailed me Monday morning to say they also had 5Ks. However, I think one of them said they had to have the rD links out to runners today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter