Marathon Weekend 2022

No park logos on sleeves. Fit true to size and nicer quality. This is a small over the sweater I am wearing. Length is great for me and I’m 5’4”.

View attachment 636009
See, now I’m jealous and I just came from there with a lot of cool stuff. I wish those virtual kits would arrive already!
DS6 was not pleased with the expo. We left early to go get lunch. Those lines were killer.
ProTip: There are two buildings at the Expo. One at arrival with RunDisney merchandise, one up and over the hill past the big red globe that has other cool running merchandise. We split and conquered.

Last edited:

I’m in S5 for goofy and I’m kind of disappointed. Pretty much no shot at a dark sky castle pic.

and there were no spirit jerseys left at 1:30. None.

mid anyone changes their mind about one they bought I would happily buy it off you. S, M, or L.

What is everyone doing regarding sunscreen? And are you going to carry sunglasses until you need them?
I'm putting on waterproof sunscreen before leaving the hotel, and bringing a travel size for reapplying during the race. This is for the marathon; i don't think I'd need the second application for 5k or 10k? But maybe for Half.

I have transition lenses in my running glasses, so i don't need sunglasses. But I'm bringing a foldable visor which i can stick in my pocket before sunrise.

I’m in S5 for goofy and I’m kind of disappointed. Pretty much no shot at a dark sky castle pic.

I wouldn't lose hope quite yet. Regardless of starting group designations, my start time calculations are based on a rate release system for 60 min (first person to last person). This system has held up whether they had 16 corrals, 8 corrals, or now 6 starting groups. Essentially, I'm always just trying to calculate the % of the field ahead of you and using an equal rate release over the 60 min time period. So while I initially said you'd be in s4 with an estimated start time of 5:33-5:38, you could easily be in what is now s5 with a start time of 5:33-5:38. What matters more is that I estimated there to be 57% of the field ahead of you from the start. That's still true whether you're in s4 or s5. You moved from s4 to s5 because they split what I thought would be s1 (POT) into s1+s2 (POT + POT w/ club rD) which doesn't really change anything for the start of the estimated 4:00-4:30 group in s3 (what I thought would be s2). They'll still start around 5:06am because only 11% of the field is ahead of them. This is all assuming an on time start of 5:00am.

So keep in mind your actual start time relative to this chart to determine feasibility of dark sky timing:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 2.02.19 PM.png

and there were no spirit jerseys left at 1:30. None.

mid anyone changes their mind about one they bought I would happily buy it off you. S, M, or L.

Do you mind sharing your bib number again? Trying (in vain, most likely) to anticipate my corral.

Another 1:49 half POT in S2 with bib 205XX
Not happy about being sent back a corral while the pacers I wanted to follow are up front. Maybe I can catch them
I was S2 for wine and dine and crossed the start line at 506 (and I was not in the first wave from s2). I think you could probably catch the pacers if you are in the front of s2

Thanks for posting this. I only sent my email refund request a few days ago. I was expecting this response and had my fingers crossed. I even said that we rescheduled our trip for March - but obviously the marathon isn't happening then.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they don't give refunds in gift cards - after they make you jump through hoops so it's not easy. That way, they get the money no matter what and it would be good PR.

Well, to stir the pot on the topic of refunds. I got a refund in the form of a Disney gift card! Since we rescheduled our trip to March, this is just perfect. From the email sent to me:

I am truly sorry to learn that you will not be able to participate in the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend as originally planned. While our races are non-refundable, we also understand that these unforeseen circumstances are beyond anyone’s control.

Please know, deferrals are not offered for runDisney events. However, As a gesture of our goodwill, I would like to provide you with a full refund of your registration by issuing an electronic Disney Gift Card in the amount of $195. Please know, we are unable to refund processing fees, therefore the amount of the Disney Gift Card may slightly differ from the original amount paid when you registered. Please keep in mind your registration will be voided and you will not be able to participate in this event.

I only registered for the marathon. I did state in my email request that we had rescheduled a trip for March and in fact, we already had reservations made - I don't know if RunDisney could or would verify that.

By the way, my response was from "Yvette" at RunDisney.

I had car trouble on the way down and have left my car with a dealer and I am now in a rental barreling southward. At the moment it looks like I am scheduled to get there 10 minutes before eight tonight. On the chance that I do not make it to the expo in time, what is the procedure for getting my bill before the race in the morning?

Sorry to ask again but this thread moves too fast, thinking about driving to the 5k and heading out of parking asap after. Is it really as easy as it seems from AKL? There’s no road closures for the 5 right?

I had car trouble on the way down and have left my car with a dealer and I am now in a rental barreling southward. At the moment it looks like I am scheduled to get there 10 minutes before eight tonight. On the chance that I do not make it to the expo in time, what is the procedure for getting my bill before the race in the morning?

If you don't make it in time, head to the information tent at the race in the morning. They SHOULD have your bib (no promises) but you will still need to go to the expo later to pick up shirts.

Just also an FYI, I’m not sure how they split things up, but this is s2 with a 3:58 POT.
My 3:57 PoT ended up in S2, as well. Not real thrilled that they’ve dropped PoT runners down in with the Club rD corral purchasers. I thought they were supposed to start after the PoT runners.
I am S2 with bib 205xx. My POT was a 1:49 for a half.
Another 1:49 half POT in S2 with bib 205XX
Not happy about being sent back a corral while the pacers I wanted to follow are up front. Maybe I can catch them
I’m in s2 as well (204XX with a 1:45 half POT). I think they ding the Dopey folks a bit since we won’t be on fresh legs. Just a guess. My daughter is in s1 for the 5k & 10k (<8 min pace), so she will have to drop back to s2 so we can run together.

I’m in s2 as well (204XX with a 1:45 half POT). I think they ding the Dopey folks a bit since we won’t be on fresh legs. Just a guess. My daughter is in s1 for the 5k & 10k (<8 min pace), so she will have to drop back to s2 so we can run together.

They have never dinged the Dopey runners with PoT before. We’ve always run right where our PoT placed us. I don’t think they’d start artificially moving people back now. My guess is that they had a target number of runners for S1 and ended up with more qualifying PoTs than anticipated, so they shifted the S1/S2 cutoff rather than have a larger than anticipated S1.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter