Marathon Weekend 2022

This is nuts.

After a week of record and near record high temperatures in the upper 60s to upper 70s and runs in T+Ds near 140, it is currently snowing in central NC.

Yesterday it was 70 degrees.

This is weather whiplash.

Marathon only, 79xx. (POT 1:39 for half submitted at registration) BUT a mid November 2021 registration. Hoping that not put in back

Print out a copy of your dated registration showing the PoT that you submitted--assuming it met their PoT guidelines--and bring it to Runner Relations and plead for mercy. Your bib number is definitely last corral.

This is nuts.

After a week of record and near record high temperatures in the upper 60s to upper 70s and runs in T+Ds near 140, it is currently snowing in central NC.

Yesterday it was 70 degrees.

This is weather whiplash.
Yeah you must have gotten our storm. In Arkansas Saturday was in the 70's and Saturday night was 24. Crazy!

My DH is no longer doing the marathon but has bin number 65XX for 5:31-6:00. His half marathon is 470XX— I think for 2:45-3:00 but I can’t see his registration. I registered him for the half pretty late once we decided he didn’t want to do the full. It was one of the times registration randomly opened up again.

He was a very late 10k registration, or no? After 9/30/21?

What did you put for your registration estimated time?

Typically the cutoff for people having high bib numbers with low estimates comes after the POT cutoff. The cutoff was 9/30/21, so I don't think that's the case. There is someone with a 221xx bib number also in 4:00-4:30 and the lowest 4:30-5:00 I have so far is 230xx. So entirely possible your number makes sense as a 4:00-4:30 runner.

See attached. It's a list of everyone that wants to participate in the list itself. I calculate when you'll arrive to certain places and give tips/info from past year's runDisney experience. It also has meetup information, bathroom information, alcohol information, dark sky for pictures, etc. I'm still working on the final version, but this is the second draft.
Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but if the races don't even start until 5 am, why be heading for the corrals at 3:30? Just to be at the front of the corral? Is there something else that I'm missing?
Whiny me is wondering why Disney wants us standing around for 2 hours before the race. Just to bump up their coffee and donut sales? I get that there is a certain amount of time needed for gear check (if needed) and shuffling to the corrals, but 2 hours seemed to be a bit much.
Just curious as to what I wasn't taking into consideration. Thank you for listening.

And again to Dopeybadger, thanks for all the spreadsheeted information.
My initial reaction: "Hey, I can run faster than that! Followed by, "Remember, you said you were going to stop for some character photos". Oh, yeah.....

Yeah you must have gotten our storm. In Arkansas Saturday was in the 70's and Saturday night was 24. Crazy!
Here in northern Georgia, we had a good 4 hours of howling winds as the front came through, and a mix of sleet, snow, and rain around 4 am. Warming up and mostly dry streets by now, but not a lot of sleep with all the noise and wondering if any trees were coming down.

Marathon only, 79xx. (POT 1:39 for half submitted at registration) BUT a mid November 2021 registration. Hoping that not put in back

I thought anyone that registered after POT was automatically put into the back. In the past that could be fixed at the expo but that stopped a few years back. As a PP said it never hurts to ask but be prepared for a no.

Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but if the races don't even start until 5 am, why be heading for the corrals at 3:30? Just to be at the front of the corral? Is there something else that I'm missing?
Whiny me is wondering why Disney wants us standing around for 2 hours before the race. Just to bump up their coffee and donut sales? I get that there is a certain amount of time needed for gear check (if needed) and shuffling to the corrals, but 2 hours seemed to be a bit much.
Just curious as to what I wasn't taking into consideration. Thank you for listening.

My initial reaction: "Hey, I can run faster than that! Followed by, "Remember, you said you were going to stop for some character photos". Oh, yeah.....

It takes a lot of time to move 15-20,000 people into the staging area and then to the corrals. Throw in road closures and the chances of buses getting lost and it just expands the time window needed to get everyone ready to start the races.

I thought anyone that registered after POT was automatically put into the back. In the past that could be fixed at the expo but that stopped a few years back. As a PP said it never hurts to ask but be prepared for a no.

If you register after the PoT due date, you’re still allowed to enter a PoT during registration. The PoT race still has to have been run within the allowable date range, though, so you can’t put off registration until later so you can run a late PoT race.

Yes. You’re missing the road closures. With the current course and earlier start time, the roads in and around Epcot need to be shut down well in advance of the race. With some previous courses, the road into Epcot remained open pretty much up to the start. That’s not the case now. Get there on time so you’re not one of the people running out of a car or bus straight onto the course from the traffic jam.

Just the marathon: 32xx

4:31-5:00 estimated time, no POT.

I was optimistically aiming for an improvement on my past 2:45 HM pace. LOL. I'm hoping to finish in 6.

To expand on the earlier responses, a little of this is CYA stuff from Disney. They don’t want people asking for refunds because they slept til 4:45 and couldn’t get to their corral on time. They need stated and over-conservative guidelines to help make sure this doesn’t happen and to point to if it does.

As others have pointed out, in general, it takes a long time to get everyone to the corrals and they don’t want everyone procrastinating to the last minute and creating a bigger problem than moving 15,000-20,000 people into position already is. They want to get as many people moved through as early as possible to make the inevitable late rush more manageable.

ETA: No matter how much time you think it should take you to get to staging area and then into the corrals, it will almost certainly take longer.

Also want to mention the first corral usually closes 30 minutes before the race and is brought to the start line. The other corrals start staging and following soon after. I can’t tell you how many elbows I’ve been hit with, toes stepped on and times I have been shoved by people trying to force their way up to their corral from a later corral all because they didn’t show up on time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter