Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD:

Pretty much all of the above.

Travel: we tried to cover our bases as much as possible for this (weather and covid cancellations) by flying out of a much larger airport with significantly more flight options.

Covid: I am super paranoid that my kids will have brought it home from school for break. And that they won't pass it off to me until late next week when it's too late for me to have gotten over it before we leave. So I'm hoping that they didn't somehow contract it, and also that we don't bring it home from Disney. We have been doing all of the things you're supposed to do and I'm hoping that those habits continue to be effective for us.

Weather: yes. I am already obsessing about watching the weather (I'm only checking 1x a day right now because it's still so far out) so I can plan how much I need to pack. And plan for how awful I will feel after the full if it's hot. Right now it looks warmer, so I'm wishing for cooler temps for the half and the full and warmer temps for Wednesday-Friday (for pool and park reasons.)

I also have a backup driving plan but unfortunately it’s all the way from NJ. But if I have to do it I’ll do it.

As for general sickness issues causing upheaval… I dunno. This is a bizarre situation.

Anyway, my hopes for the weekend is that it happens. That’s it, I’ll handle whatever curveballs are thrown my way in the process.

I’m hoping travel goes smoothly and nothing is cancelled. Some good comments on here about flights being cancelled right now and what Disney staffing will be. We have to get 4 tests throughout our travel and upon return to avoid isolation. I just hope we all test negative for the way down. If we test positive (probably a good chance right now) on the way back, I’m not concerned about getting sick but what kind of hoops will we have to go through with that. I’m kinda hoping some people cancel their flights/trips to Disney (not runners, just tourists) to alleviate the crowd a little but not enough that any flights, etc., are cancelled. Is that too selfish?

SAFD:
1. To not get sick, from COVID or anything else. Before, during, or after.
2. No rain during pre-race and race hours.
3. Temps higher than 50, but lower than 65 for the marathon. Not totally overcast, but not full sun, either: fluffy passing clouds would be grand.
4. For the races to go on as planned.

PSA: should you get the brilliant idea to decorate a KN95 (probably goes for N95, too) mask for your race costume, DO NOT USE SHARPIE MARKERS! They apply beautifully... but the mask seems to concentrate the fumes, which seems like a really bad idea, lol! Yes, I just tested this. FYI, crayon works reasonably well as an alternative, and no fumes. :thumbsup2 Water-based markers probably work, too, but if it rains, I'm not sure they'd hold up.

in a non-related SAFD question (maybe it's tangential?)

If, theoretically, our wednesday AM flight gets delayed or cancelled to the point that we don't make it to the expo that afternoon, can DH still pick up his shirt at the expo *after* the 5k has already run? I know that there is unadvertised emergency bib pick-up for Thursday morning, and that's not what this question is about.

SAFD: That everyone has a fun Marathon Weekend and gets out of it exactly what they are looking for.

Unfortunately for me, I made the tough decision this morning to cancel. Despite my hopes and all the stretching, massage, chiro, etc., 3 weeks after my hip flared up after my 18 miler, I still cannot run on it without the pain starting to come back after 5 minutes. I had hoped I could get it calmed down enough to complete the distances under balloon lady pace, espcially since I was running for charity. While I still might be able to gut it out, it would just mean longer until I could really get back to running again. So trying to do the smart thing and just call it, espcially since it was a solo trip for me and fortunately I have done the races before. Sucks, but it could be worse. Hopefully this is the time I really learn from it and do the prehab work to limit chances of it coming back. So I will live vicariously through you all and start my training early for 2023.

I live in PA and just yesterday (without seeing this thread) my wife and I were talking about changing our flight to a drive down. We need to crunch the numbers -- and we have the added variables of a cruise on the Disney Dream right after Marathon Weekend. I'm hoping for good health, good weather and good experiences for all.

in a non-related SAFD question (maybe it's tangential?)

If, theoretically, our wednesday AM flight gets delayed or cancelled to the point that we don't make it to the expo that afternoon, can DH still pick up his shirt at the expo *after* the 5k has already run? I know that there is unadvertised emergency bib pick-up for Thursday morning, and that's not what this question is about.

Shirt pick up “should” still be available the afternoon after the race. I’ve read a number of times about people forced into emergency bib pick up race morning and being directed to go to the expo that afternoon to pick up the remainder of their race package.

We made the decision that the WDW marathon is not a great idea for our family right now. I’m grateful I was able to find a small marathon on the GA coast the weekend after, so I signed up for that one. I haven’t been able to bring myself to cancel my hotel and a couple of dining reservations yet, I plan to watch the news closely next week to see if there’s any chance things turn around.

Question- if I ordered a marathon pin bundle and I don’t pick it up at the expo, will they send it to me? Anyone interested in it for what I paid?

SAFD: my wish for Marathon Weekend is that everyone has a safe and wonderful time at the races, without either melting or freezing.

I’ll be doing the virtual 5K and 10K, and a non-Disney virtual half as practice for Princess Weekend, and I also wish for non-freezing temps.

Question- if I ordered a marathon pin bundle and I don’t pick it up at the expo, will they send it to me? Anyone interested in it for what I paid?
I do not believe they will send it to you, but who knows this year? I will buy it if possible. I sent you a private message.

PSA: should you get the brilliant idea to decorate a KN95 (probably goes for N95, too) mask for your race costume, DO NOT USE SHARPIE MARKERS! They apply beautifully... but the mask seems to concentrate the fumes, which seems like a really bad idea, lol! Yes, I just tested this. FYI, crayon works reasonably well as an alternative, and no fumes. :thumbsup2 Water-based markers probably work, too, but if it rains, I'm not sure they'd hold up.
Lutema.com sells great KN 94/95 in lots of different colors for folks looking to coordinate with a race costume.

SAFD: Hoping for safe, healthy travels and race.

We were in Disney in late September. I was so impressed at the cast members and the mask enforcement indoors, as well as the restaurant table spacing. I do think it’s possible to stay safe at Disney, or at least it was. I travel every few weeks for work to large-scale events, so staying home from this one isn’t impacting my overall risk that much. Hoping to still go, but not ruling out canceling.

My goals in order:

1. No travel interruptions due to COVID
2. Low temps for a fast marathon. My goal for this race would be over a 6 minute marathon PR so high 30s to mid 40s is ideal.
3. A BQ
4. The ability to walk and enjoy Epcot post-race

Not cancelling here. But lots of people must be cancelling. Just checked rental car prices - mine dropped over $100 for a 5 day rental. For others renting cars, it may pay to check pricing!

Good tip. I just checked and I was able to save $50 which as a percentage for 3 days is pretty good.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter