Marathon Weekend 2022

I know some of us are concerned about the germ-fest that a crowded race can be …
And I'm going to ask really nicely that if you are experiencing symptoms of any illness, especially things like sneezing and coughing, and insist on racing, PLEASE wear a mask around others. I got stuck in that crowded BW path behind someone violently coughing and blowing their nose into the air as they ran and I'm convinced that was how I caught whatever illness I came down with after the race weekend. Maybe it was just a 2-day cold for that person, but I wound up with secondary bronchitis and a sinus infection for 6 weeks. If we all just exercise a little common courtesy toward our fellow runners, in addition to taking steps to protect ourselves if we're vulnerable, we can make this race weekend more safe for all. :flower3:
And I ask also for the same courtesy in the parks. The first night I arrived for W&D, someone walking toward me and passing on my left, sneezed… and instead of covering his mouth, he turned his head in my direction, leaned over, and let all his “droplets” from mouth and nose COVER my left arm! In addition to being completely grossed out, I was frantically seeking the nearest sanitizer, which I basically used to bathe my arm (including the short sleeve of my t-shirt). Then I headed to the bathroom for soap and water! That should NEVER happen.

We are staying at the Polynesian and intend to take the monorail to the half and full starts. In the past (when we relied on the buses), we left our resort by 2:30. For those with experience getting there via the monorail, should we still plan to leave at 2:30? Or could we leave later? Does taking the monorail alleviate congestion/traffic uncertainties?

And I ask also for the same courtesy in the parks. The first night I arrived for W&D, someone walking toward me and passing on my left, sneezed… and instead of covering his mouth, he turned his head in my direction, leaned over, and let all his “droplets” from mouth and nose COVER my left arm! In addition to being completely grossed out, I was frantically seeking the nearest sanitizer, which I basically used to bathe my arm (including the short sleeve of my t-shirt). Then I headed to the bathroom for soap and water! That should NEVER happen.
Dude, that's gross...

We are staying at the Polynesian and intend to take the monorail to the half and full starts. In the past (when we relied on the buses), we left our resort by 2:30. For those with experience getting there via the monorail, should we still plan to leave at 2:30? Or could we leave later? Does taking the monorail alleviate congestion/traffic uncertainties?

i don’t worry about arriving early and waiting around so have always left around 3:15 even for buses. I left the same time with monorail resorts, but it did eliminate any concern your traffic..

One year there was about a 15 minute waiting delay at the TTC transfer but was there with hundreds of others so didn’t feel any stress about that.

i don’t worry about arriving early and waiting around so have always left around 3:15 even for buses. I left the same time with monorail resorts, but it did eliminate any concern your traffic..

One year there was about a 15 minute waiting delay at the TTC transfer but was there with hundreds of others so didn’t feel any stress about that.

Thank you!

The following message was on the Digital Event guide:.......reminded me of a question = Where will the coffee annd fruit and breakfast sandwich and drinks be? and is there a cost?
In other words, do I need to take money and how much...TIA

Food and Beverage
  • On race day, participants and spectators can enjoy a variety of food and beverage offering before, during, and post-race. From coffee, fruit, breakfast sandwiches, and celebratory drinks, you won’t want to miss these delicious menu items.

usually at the front of the start staging area there will be a tent with the food and beverages. They take all payments that usually Disney vendors do, magic band or Apple Pay ifthat is what you usually carry anyways. Not sure of prices, from what I remember a water bottle was same price as other places around the kingdom

Does anyone know of the resort fitness centers have foam rollers? I have a short/travel one (not hollow) but it takes up soooo much space that I’d rather not bring it. But I know I’ll need one.
I love my foam roller at home, but use The Stick when I travel and can't easily bring a roller. If you google "the stick roller" you'll find it at a bunch of places. It doesn't take up much space in a suitcase or large backpack.

I'm pretty sure I have a tibial stress fracture - symptoms sound right and the x-ray was very suspicious (bone changes in the area but no fracture seen.) I'm having an MRI to confirm and see how bad it is. If, in fact, I cannot run, does anyone know if I can cancel either for a refund or future credit? We're going anyway since my husband is running and we're making a family trip of it. I guess I could always just grab the shirt and skip the race, but I'd rather save the $ for a future race.

I'm pretty sure I have a tibial stress fracture - symptoms sound right and the x-ray was very suspicious (bone changes in the area but no fracture seen.) I'm having an MRI to confirm and see how bad it is. If, in fact, I cannot run, does anyone know if I can cancel either for a refund or future credit? We're going anyway since my husband is running and we're making a family trip of it. I guess I could always just grab the shirt and skip the race, but I'd rather save the $ for a future race.

They don't do refunds or deferrals.

First off, so sorry to hear about your injury! It’s so frustrating to put in the training and have it all come crashing down at the end. Here’s hoping for good news on the MRI.

As for the race, your best bet is to call RunDisney, explain the situation, and see if they’re willing to do anything. The official policy is that the races are non-refundable and non-transferable. That being said, I’ve read stories from people whose experiences have ranged from “sorry, there’s nothing we can do” all the way to partial or full refunds (usually in the form of a Disney gift card). There really doesn’t seem to be any consistency to it. Good luck!

I really hope Florida gets a cold front sometime before Marathon Weekend (especially Sunday) because the next 10 days look really hot. :headache:
Right now for lake Buena vista accue weather shows lows 46-57 & highs 70-76 ( the high range being 10K day which is also showing rain) but it’s Florida so

I’m out guys, virus is too real and getting sick threatens my daily fitness/mental health. Running is my life, races are not a priority and I will wait until it’s safe. Good luck to everyone!
I feel ya. Yesterday I told my mom not to drive up to take care of the kids because I don't want to be the reason she's exposed and I just canceled my flight. We're going to load up the kids and drive down so I can avoid the airport/uber/shuttles. Marathon weekend just took a dramatic turn from an adult trip with fancy signature dinners and lot of quiet to pretty much the opposite.

I know some of us are concerned about the germ-fest that a crowded race can be, so I just wanted to share a few thoughts as a person who falls into a high-risk category for any and all respiratory illnesses...

During W&D, I ran much of the 10K wearing a KN95 mask and was surprisingly comfortable - and I'm asthmatic, so running in any mask/Buff/scarf is probably slightly more challenging for me than others. I had no problem breathing at all while wearing it, and it also worked REALLY well for keeping my nose and cheeks warm in the cold rain: much warmer without getting overly hot and more comfortable than using a Buff! For the half, I went with a blue surgical-style mask and it was much less comfortable. I think I got the same amount of 02 with both, but the surgical felt more difficult to breathe in, if that makes sense. It also got damp and clammy, and was terrible at keeping my face warm. So if you'll feel better about being in the corrals and in congested areas of race courses wearing a mask, I highly recommend a KN95.

And I'm going to ask really nicely that if you are experiencing symptoms of any illness, especially things like sneezing and coughing, and insist on racing, PLEASE wear a mask around others. I got stuck in that crowded BW path behind someone violently coughing and blowing their nose into the air as they ran and I'm convinced that was how I caught whatever illness I came down with after the race weekend. Maybe it was just a 2-day cold for that person, but I wound up with secondary bronchitis and a sinus infection for 6 weeks. If we all just exercise a little common courtesy toward our fellow runners, in addition to taking steps to protect ourselves if we're vulnerable, we can make this race weekend more safe for all. :flower3:
I’m afraid that the no refund policy is going to encourage people to come run the race even if they know they have covid or are otherwise sick. I understand the no refund policy generally but I would think it is in Disney’s best interest to allow switching to virtual or deferring during the pandemic, so people who are sick can still get their medal and shirt and not have to come spread their germs to everyone. They’ve changed lots of other policies during the past 2 years due to covid, why not one more ??

Ditto! My DVC waitlist came through so i decided to say there instead of driving from home. Forgot that the half doesn't start from the MK lot, so maybe a quick walk to the Epcot monorail would be great!

Bad news- pcr test came back positive so I do in fact have Covid.
Good news- my quarantine will be over before I’m supposed to leave and I’ll be well protected against getting it again on the trip.
Bad news- no idea how I’m going to finish dopey with basically no running since dec 15.

Have another Covid test scheduled for Jan 3 so I can make sure I’m negative before traveling. What a crap ending to this training cycle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter