Marathon Weekend 2021

SAFD:

I want runDisney races to return to California, only I will add a twist of sorts. Much like the Kessel Run, which will of course be returning under my plan, there will be a second special Coast to Coast medal if you complete the companion race on each coast. Unless noted otherwise, the special challenge medal requires completing the longest distance at each companion race weekend. The Coast to Coast remains in effect for completing a half (or the full) at Disneyland and Disney World within the same calendar year. As before, you can earn the Coast to Coast and special challenge medal at the same time.

Star Wars Kessel Run Challenge as it was in 2016 and 2017. Jedi mind trick resistant balloon ladies will dress in stormtrooper tech shirts to ensure that runners continue to "move along."

Fairy Tale Challenge. This would replace Tinker Bell race weekend with a second Princess race on the west coast that will find a way to unify the half marathon distance on each coast. Maybe villain themed or maybe the Princess for one coast and her respective Prince on the other coast, or something along those lines.

Fab Five Challenge: Special Mickey and Minnie medal for completing the full at marathon weekend and the half at Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend. Half on each coast results in a Donald and Daisy Medal. Anyone who finishes Goofy and/or Dopey is also eligible for the Donald and Daisy medals at Disneyland. This could expand to Chip and Dale or other duos in future years.

SAFD:

I want runDisney races to return to California, only I will add a twist of sorts. Much like the Kessel Run, which will of course be returning under my plan, there will be a second special Coast to Coast medal if you complete the companion race on each coast. Unless noted otherwise, the special challenge medal requires completing the longest distance at each companion race weekend. The Coast to Coast remains in effect for completing a half (or the full) at Disneyland and Disney World within the same calendar year. As before, you can earn the Coast to Coast and special challenge medal at the same time.

Star Wars Kessel Run Challenge as it was in 2016 and 2017. Jedi mind trick resistant balloon ladies will dress in stormtrooper tech shirts to ensure that runners continue to "move along."

Fairy Tale Challenge. This would replace Tinker Bell race weekend with a second Princess race on the west coast that will find a way to unify the half marathon distance on each coast. Maybe villain themed or maybe the Princess for one coast and her respective Prince on the other coast, or something along those lines.

Fab Five Challenge: Special Mickey and Minnie medal for completing the full at marathon weekend and the half at Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend. Half on each coast results in a Donald and Daisy Medal. Anyone who finishes Goofy and/or Dopey is also eligible for the Donald and Daisy medals at Disneyland. This could expand to Chip and Dale or other duos in future years.

I am in favor of ALL of these!!! I'll take any race at all at Disneyland though!! But some more Coast to Coast races would be awesome!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, design your own Disney race or race weekend. What are the distances and themes? What is on the medals? Any route ideas?

I’d love to have a nighttime series incorporating the fireworks shows.

5K - Epcot w/Illuminations or its replacement running on loop
10K - Epcot and HS with the Star Wars show running on loop
HM - finish on Main Street, USA with HEA running on loop

Edit: forgot to add my characters

I’d get away the Fab Four in favor of other characters, maybe do pairs:

- Lilo and Stitch
- Tarzan and Jane
- Jessie and Buzz
- Ralph and Vanelope

Short of that, I’d bring back the ToT 10K. I want to run a nighttime race at WDW.

Have a great, safe and healthy week, everyone!
I'd love a Pixar themed weekend!

Kids - Inside Out
5K - Walle
10K - Finding Nemo
Half Marathon - Cars
Challenge - Incredibles

Then maybe mix in a Castaway Challenge with a Toy Story theme to it

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, design your own Disney race or race weekend. What are the distances and themes? What is on the medals? Any route ideas?

I’d love to have a nighttime series incorporating the fireworks shows.

5K - Epcot w/Illuminations or its replacement running on loop
10K - Epcot and HS with the Star Wars show running on loop
HM - finish on Main Street, USA with HEA running on loop

Edit: forgot to add my characters

I’d get away the Fab Four in favor of other characters, maybe do pairs:

- Lilo and Stitch
- Tarzan and Jane
- Jessie and Buzz
- Ralph and Vanelope

Short of that, I’d bring back the ToT 10K. I want to run a nighttime race at WDW.

Have a great, safe and healthy week, everyone!
I have yet to run a race at Disney but I would love night races and The Nightmare Before Christmas medals and I’m not sure what type but I would also like to see Winnie the Pooh and friends medals 🥰

SAFD:

Walt Disney World E-Ticket Marathon
January 2022

*Due to the nightmare logistical challenge, this should only be suggested to the Race Director anonymously, otherwise you should employ private security for even casually bringing it up.

This marathon runs through all four WDW theme parks, allowing runners to stop & enjoy their favorite rides with a timed FastPass.
Perhaps allow a total of 6 to 8 rides over the four parks, per runner.
Runners pre-select which rides they desire.
Use runner's proof of time to establish ride entry times.
For example, you have 'x' amount of time to get to Splash Mountain...
If you miss your FastPass time range you must move on to catch your next available ride.
This would demand each runner to map out the course and their presumed pace.
Let's face it, folks on this blog spend a year preparing for the January race.
We definitely need something other than months of angst worrying about what lousy corral you will be subjected to. 😢

Print QR codes on bibs or allow MagicBands for FastPass ride entry.
You can choose 2 rides per park, 1 per tier, e.g; Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates or Haunted Mansion, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror, etc.

Just imagine, a couple of hours into the marathon you would have all four parks with runners on the rides.
Film it, make a big promotion out of it. Why not? ::MickeyMo

The medal would be an old E-Ticket replica with Walt and Roy in bronze.
Your bib design would be your favorite ride from WDW.
... see, another decision to make?
ToT? Haunted? Pirates? Hmmm... 🤔

Since this is my idea, I demand priority entry! 8-)
... and of course all my disboard friends that LIKE this post! :P

SAFD:

Walt Disney World E-Ticket Marathon
January 2022

*Due to the nightmare logistical challenge, this should only be suggested to the Race Director anonymously, otherwise you should employ private security for even casually bringing it up.

This marathon runs through all four WDW theme parks, allowing runners to stop & enjoy their favorite rides with a timed FastPass.
Perhaps allow a total of 6 to 8 rides over the four parks, per runner.
Runners pre-select which rides they desire.
Use runner's proof of time to establish ride entry times.
For example, you have 'x' amount of time to get to Splash Mountain...
If you miss your FastPass time range you must move on to catch your next available ride.
This would demand each runner to map out the course and their presumed pace.
Let's face it, folks on this blog spend a year preparing for the January race.
We definitely need something other than months of angst worrying about what lousy corral you will be subjected to. 😢

Print QR codes on bibs or allow MagicBands for FastPass ride entry.
You can choose 2 rides per park, 1 per tier, e.g; Space Mountain or Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates or Haunted Mansion, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster or Tower of Terror, etc.

Just imagine, a couple of hours into the marathon you would have all four parks with runners on the rides.
Film it, make a big promotion out of it. Why not? ::MickeyMo

The medal would be an old E-Ticket replica with Walt and Roy in bronze.
Your bib design would be your favorite ride from WDW.
... see, another decision to make?
ToT? Haunted? Pirates? Hmmm... 🤔

Since this is my idea, I demand priority entry! 8-)
... and of course all my disboard friends that LIKE this post! :P

Would you have the race start at say 11pm or midnight so that there are no regular park guests in when we ride? Then by morning opening time, everyone is done running through parks?

Re-Live: Tink Half Marathon 2017. My first half, first DL race, first time my sister spectated, and last time my mom was on vacation with me. Perfect weather, well-trained and great pre-race and post-race experiences. Also fave of my disney bling.

Re-Do: WDW marathon weekend 5k 2016. I was so worried of not running fast enough to keep up with all the "serious runners" and was worried about making my breakfast ADR that I only stopped for two characters. Was silly in hindsight because I realize now how much cushion I had and I had to wait for my father-in-law who was a corral behind me anyways. I would have taken that one more leisurely.

Re-Do where I did everything right but wish the race had: Milwaukee Marathon weekend 10k 2017. Trained really hard, my coach was running with me, and the course came up way short. I was on pace for a really nice PR. Still my very best 5.9 mile race I've ever done. And I never got to use it for a POT.

My race theme is Tiki, with all the medals and themes inspired by drinks at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto. All podium finishers get the tiki mug from each drink for their trophy.

5k - Krakatoa Punch
10k - Nautilus
Half - Uh-Oa!
Challenge - HippopotoMai-Tai

Sign me up! If you need to borrow any tiki themed athletic skirts, just let me know. I've got plenty to spare.
Characters can just borrow all the costumes from Aulani and Castaway Cay. And the Pirates of course. And the girl chimpunk in her hawaiin dress.
Each medal could also include one of the four main birds from the Enchanted Tiki Room.

But I'd also like to add that I want a BikeDisney weekend too. Been thinking about that a lot during quarantine while on my second or third family bike ride of the day.

SAFD: I would have a 4 day event - each race would end inside each one of the 4 parks (and start in the parking lot of that park). No distance longer than 10K, with a 5:30 start time for each race, and then finishers would have until 9AM to enjoy that park as much as they wanted until the main gates opened to the general public. A unique medal for each park, and then if you do all 4 a bonus 5th medal featuring all the parks and maybe Mickey. No photo stops on course, as everyone would be motivated to finish as quickly as possible, but then lots of special characters in the park afterward to get medal photos with.

For those who are hoping for the release of additional bibs, maybe the below information is evidence of forthcoming availability:

This morning, I received a "Perfect registration link" from runDisney to register for the 2021 Dopey Challenge.

It is valid until 8:00pm EST on July 18, 2020.

For those who are hoping for the release of additional bibs, maybe the below information is evidence of forthcoming availability:

This morning, I received a "Perfect registration link" from runDisney to register for the 2021 Dopey Challenge.

That is good news (I hope) thanks for sharing.

I think the Perfectly Goofy/Perfect Dopey emails that went out were just delayed emails because of the coronavirus. Normally we got those links between DVC/AP registration and open registration. The guaranteed entry spots for Perfect Goofy/Perfect Dopey/Perfect Marathon were likely considered when the AP/DVC and open registration reduced capacity was calculated. I would not expect a large number of spots to be reopened from any legacy runners who do not register before the legacy links expire.

Tier 2 registration and pricing starts July 21st so having until July 18th for "perfects" makes sense to me.

I know a lot of naysayer folks think 'Tier 2' does not apply anymore but I wouldn't bet against it. 8-)

Tier 2 registration and pricing starts July 21st so having until July 18th for "perfects" makes sense to me.

I know a lot of naysayer folks think 'Tier 2' does not apply anymore but I wouldn't bet against it. 8-)

Tier 2 pricing starts July 21st. Registration started quite some time ago. I’m sure Tier 2 pricing will apply to any bibs cropping up after the 21st, but there’s not going to be some large release of a new allotment of bibs, then. That’s not what the tiers have ever been used for and there’s been 0 indication from RunDisney that they’ve changed that.

*Sigh 😟

Will I get less push-back if I promise NOT to say I told you so?

You would get less pushback if you gave us some reasons that made sense why they would release more bibs. The price increase is a very small $10/registration. They could have made FAR more guaranteed money than that by simply releasing more bibs to travel agents which also include the requirement for resort reservations, driving a lot of additional money into the company. It would also run counter to the semi- (or unofficially) confirmed information that bib numbers were dramatically reduced to allow for additional distancing precautions to be taken.

The tier system is in place to encourage early sign ups and provide cost certainty to race organizations. RunDisney had tiers in place years ago, moved away from them when races were selling out very quickly, and reimplemented them recently when sales slowed for some weekends. They are also an industry standard mechanism, commonly used in this way. I don’t know of any race organizations that use tiers as a mechanism for releasing waves of bibs. Ironman would be the closest, but even they release all the bibs for registration at once, increasing the price when a certain number are sold.

What indication do you have beyond raw speculation that RunDisney is going to dramatically alter a bib sales model that they have historically used and that is used across the industry?

ETA: The Wine & Dine Tier 2 date of April 28 came and went without a hint of additional bibs being released...

What's "Perfect registration"? Just trying to figure out what that means as I am seriously hoping for more bibs to be released. DH wants to do Dopey and I want to do the Marathon but we hadn't decided when registration opened and of course weren't able to get a spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter