So... After a week to reflect on the race, I had a few thoughts on the journey that was my first (and maybe last???) marathon. I will start by saying that I was not real happy with my time, but not real surprised considering how I lost the last 4-5 weeks of training due to achilles, then adductor muscle injury. I passed the half marathon right at the 2:36 mark, but I finished at 6:25, so it took about an hour and a half more to do the second half, and of that, the last 3 miles took almost an hour. I was at 15 miles at 3 hours then slowed down a bit for a mile and a half, and then the legs gave out on the overpass right before WWOS. The last 3 miles may have been the most painful of my life!

That being said, here are some random thoughts:
  • I decided to follow the Higdon I training plan, which, in retrospect, I probably should have worked with someone (@DopeyBadger, looking at you :) ). I did really, really well for the first 13 weeks until the injuries set in. A little background, I am a bigger guy (6'3", and in the 260/270's) in my late 40's, but somewhat (I think) in decent shape. I typically run about 40 miles/month and had done that well up until training started in September. After the first 13 weeks, I felt fantastic. Then the right achilles started acting up. Took a week off and it calmed down a bit. Then ran a couple of runs and my left inner thigh was incredibly painful. To the point where I could not run, even jog, for about 3-4 weeks. Right up until race weekend, I thought I may not even make it. I was able to walk, but not run, so I did some long walks during the weeks leading up to the race. I think that the Higdon, for someone at my age and fitness level, was probably somewhat aggressive in the long runs. Next time, I want to follow a training plan that will build my endurance, but have a much smaller risk of injury.
  • At the expo, I used that "Car Buffer Deep Tissue massager" (not sure what it was really called) on my thigh and it made a huge difference. I was able to run OK (well, for about 16.5 miles) on Sunday.
  • I had done 10 half marathons (with a PR of 2:17) leading up to this race, but the full was much more to take on. The training required is SO much more than a half requires. That's probably the main reason I may not do another full. It's just too much of a commitment.
  • I didn't lose a ton of weight (I lost some, just not tons) because mainly I was HUNGRY ALL THE TIME it seemed like during training.
  • I don't have a running group, or friends/family that run, so I really leaned on the DIS folks during the training session. It was amazing how just seeing how everyone was doing helped push me along. It was nice to meet a bunch of you guys prior to the marathon!
  • I really wish that they had a hotel bib pickup option. I teach at The University, so I am pretty tied to my class schedule. That being the case, I was not able to get to Disney until late Friday night, which, sort of by default rules me out of the half since I would not be able to make the expo on Friday.
  • I've got to figure out what "Biofreeze" does, I saw everyone rubbing it all over themselves, but had no idea what it was for.
  • There was a QOTD about podcasts. I still haven't had anyone tell me what a podcast is or how someone gets one (I know, I am old and not tech savvy enough...)
  • I was really pleased with my Apple Watch 3. After seeing all of the ballyhoo about how the batteries would go out, mine lasted well over 7 hours on one charge, and I did not run with my phone (I honestly don't know how people run with their phones, holding it all of that time would drive me crazy). I was a bit puzzled to see that my watch was off more and more as we went along with distances, but reading everyone's subsequent posts here, I see the explanation for that...
  • I wish I had brought sunscreen
  • Training plans make you do funny things. I ran my training half marathon in the pouring down rain, at night. I would have never done that otherwise...
  • I was a bit peeved that Everest wasn't open when we went by it. I got through there about 8:25, so I assume they didn't open it until 9am...
Thanks again to everyone for your support and just being a great community all-around. I look forward to seeing a number of you at my next runDisney event!
I said my first marathon would be my last about 10 years ago. Now I have 2 on the agenda for the coming year.

I decided to follow the Higdon I training plan, which, in retrospect, I probably should have worked with someone (@DopeyBadger, looking at you :) ).

Well if you change your mind on undertaking another marathon (or really any race for that matter), then I'll be ready.

I had done 10 half marathons (with a PR of 2:17) leading up to this race, but the full was much more to take on. The training required is SO much more than a half requires. That's probably the main reason I may not do another full. It's just too much of a commitment.

Yes, and no. What I focus on is you telling me how much time you have available to train. So I make the training fit around your life. Thus, I've worked with people with little time to train and we've gotten them through the marathon rather comfortably. But this isn't a get rich quick scheme. You'll have to do some training assuredly. But #1 on the list when there's a limited schedule is being very consistent and diligent about the time you do have available. I can usually make a training plan that matches that of a normal HM plan to physically prepare you for a marathon. So if that desire to run another marathon comes back (and it almost always does), then we can sit down and map out a path to success based on you.

SAFD Marathon Weekend highlights:

Best highlight by miles:
  • After finishing the marathon, getting to the finisher area where I could pull out my phone and see how DD20 was doing running on her sprained ankle. Relief at seeing her past the halfway point averaging 14mm. Then deep concern as the 20 mile update came in with her falling to averaging 17mm. I went in to Epcot and found a good spectating spot near the fountain and cheered people on for more than an hour on pins and needles dreading a text that either the ankle blew up or she got swept. It was such a rush to see her come around the corner, knowing she had it at that point! She cried. I cried. So proud of her not just finishing her first marathon, but doing it under adverse circumstances! Turned out she had stepped off the course in a crowd on the out and back and aggravated the ankle.

Other highlights, still great:
  • Meeting so many great folks and putting names with faces at the HH, DATW and pre-marathon meet-ups. Thanks again @Keels and @lhermiston for organizing them!
  • Finally getting to run a Marathon Weekend healthy! Despite running them at training paces, I set course PRs for both the half and full
  • Just getting to spend time at Disney with my younger daughter. Great bonding time.

Highlights of last weekend
  • My first ever solo trip to Disney! I missed my family like crazy but the time to myself was great. Being able to go at whatever pace I wanted to, ride whatever I wanted to, etc was a lot of fun. I never felt lonely and was always able to strike up a conversation with others (especially runners).
  • So many character stops! I’ve stopped being so concerned with my time during disney races and really started to enjoy stopping for characters. I stopped for 7 during the half and 17 for the full.
  • Enjoying my annual pass! I’ve never done the parks in addition to running the past few RunDisney weekends just to save money but having the annual pass was awesome to justify spending time in the parks.

So, as soon as I saw this, I went to look at my iPhone, convinced that I have never, ever seen this before! Sure enough, it is there. Not sure how I missed it!

Thanks!

There is also an app called Stitcher that I prefer to use instead of the Apple Podcast app. The reason is that I am able to easily access, and download, prior episodes instead of just from the date of show subscription forward. With 6-10 hours of training a week being able to have years of a few shows available means I never run out. While a lot of podcasts are standalone episodes, there are others that are like a class so being able to go back to the beginning is helpful. Finding casts you like is a bit of trial and error; one that I like DH can not listen to because of the voice of one of the hosts and vice verse with one that he likes.

SAFD:

Highlights--
1. It was neat having a trip to Disney that was just me and my running buddy. We had so much fun. It was her first marathon and my second. Now we want to try Dopey next year.
2. Running a full marathon comfortably, not fearing being swept (last time I ran scared with my head down and just kept going). Ran from corral H, but put in a couple of faster (for us) miles and then played a bit. There's a lot to be said for a second marathon!
3. Goofing around in Epcot with a couple of new Photopass photographers. I had just gotten my AP, so we wanted to do a lot of pics and the newbies were totally willing to play along.
4. Fun time in Prime Time--my friend had never been there and didn't know anything about it. When the hostess started yelling at me to hurry up while I was paying our bar bill, I saw her eyes get wide for a second. Then, when I yelled back she caught on.

My highlights:
  • Re-Experiencing a first marathon through the eyes of my wife as I trained with her, tapered with her, traveled with her, paced her, and recovered with her. Similar process I'm sure a lot of us have been through:
    • Pre-race... things are hurting, I don't think I can do this. Been there done that
    • Early race excitement... I feel great, everything feels good, "isn't this the best"... Been there done that
    • I don't think I'm gonna make it, it's hot, the wheels are coming off, "why?!"... Been there done that
    • "Oh my gosh, I'm gonna do it." "I'm a marathoner"... Btdt
    • That was bad, it was harder than I thought. I'm definitely one and done. Btdt
    • I thought I'd be more sore. I think I could've done better. I have some regret about not pushing more. btdt
    • I think I can do better when I run another one. Obviously been there done that... lol
  • We just landed around noon today, so we had a nice week after the marathon.
    • Illuminations twice. A few more times seeing distant Illuminations fireworks from 4th floor Pop.
    • Sunday evening dinner at Ohana. Nice way to load up after the race.
    • Super chill boat ride to/from Trails End on Saturday... and they've added soft serve
    • On Monday, ran into both Mike from BOGP at HS and RezRuns at EPCOT. As expected, both were really nice.
    • Since it was just the 2 of us, the whole week was very relaxed. No need to try and keep up with our kids (adults, but considerably more energy than us).

I haven't been on here since I left so have a lot to read!

I had a blast running Goofy! I ran with a friend for the half & full, which made it super fun.

HALF -- During the half I tried to take it easier, stopping a lot, and finished in 2:37. Regret not getting a castle photo, next time for sure! In hindsight I would have not skipped anyone either. Sebastian wasn't out when we went by & the CM wasn't sure when he would be back, boo! @croach thanks so much for the texting of characters! Watched my sister-in-law finish so saw a lot of finishers coming through from the bleachers, very cool! The half flew by.

I felt okay after the half. Went with the family to Studios. Even used one of the those Fizzy Recovery Bath Bombs I bought at the expo, think it helped. Fell asleep at like 7:00pm.

FULL -- Marathon morning I felt fine, my left hamstring felt a little tight but it faded away. I was aiming for under 4 hours. Did stop for 2 characters and a goat. I felt good & my friend paced me the whole time. Saw family at DAK, super boost! Made a 2nd bathroom stop at ESPN I kind of regret, but oh well. But, as we were leaving ESPN (hey @lhermiston loved seeing you at that point) my left quad started to feel heavy. Through Studios I fake smiled. I was hot & had kept pouring water over my head which helped. I started to whine a lot as my leg was dead, but my friend encouraged me and as we got to EPCOT I wanted to walk so bad, but because of him I didn't. Saw family again in EPCOT, my photos look awful, no fake smiling anymore. My quad felt like a brick with no power behind it. Finished in 4:01:01, a PR. So close to under 4, oh well. My pace was pretty even at 9 (some under) but the last couple miles were 9:30s, dang it! Running with a friend helped greatly to keep going when I wanted to quit.

Love the medals & shirts! Didn't make any meet ups, but did get to meet a few people which was super fun - @run.minnie.miles & @tigger536 -yay so glad to meet!

5k Water Stop Volunteering - Oh boy! I have a new respect for all volunteers. We had to be there at 3:00am (got there too early by Uber, duh there's no traffic) We were bused to backstage, set up the tables & water & then runners came through. Super fun, yet super cold. My hands and feet were so frozen. It's an efficient system & our team leader was awesome. We were cleaned up by 7:30am and bused back to the volunteer tent to check out. Overall I would volunteer again, but since it was tiring I'm super glad we had a day after before our races to sleep in/rest up.

Now to catch up on everyone else's recaps/stories. Congrats everyone!

During the marathon I took very few photos. However, two that I did take were of the 26 mile marker and the finish line once I had crossed. While editing photos this morning I realized there was a 6 minute clock difference between the two, and not in the expected direction: the mile marker said 7:40.31 and the finish line said 7:34.37. :confused3 Glad I wasn’t trusting the on course markers for my elapsed time.

I haven't been on here since I left so have a lot to read!

I had a blast running Goofy! I ran with a friend for the half & full, which made it super fun.

HALF -- During the half I tried to take it easier, stopping a lot, and finished in 2:37. Regret not getting a castle photo, next time for sure! In hindsight I would have not skipped anyone either. Sebastian wasn't out when we went by & the CM wasn't sure when he would be back, boo! @croach thanks so much for the texting of characters! Watched my sister-in-law finish so saw a lot of finishers coming through from the bleachers, very cool! The half flew by.

I felt okay after the half. Went with the family to Studios. Even used one of the those Fizzy Recovery Bath Bombs I bought at the expo, think it helped. Fell asleep at like 7:00pm.

FULL -- Marathon morning I felt fine, my left hamstring felt a little tight but it faded away. I was aiming for under 4 hours. Did stop for 2 characters and a goat. I felt good & my friend paced me the whole time. Saw family at DAK, super boost! Made a 2nd bathroom stop at ESPN I kind of regret, but oh well. But, as we were leaving ESPN (hey @lhermiston loved seeing you at that point) my left quad started to feel heavy. Through Studios I fake smiled. I was hot & had kept pouring water over my head which helped. I started to whine a lot as my leg was dead, but my friend encouraged me and as we got to EPCOT I wanted to walk so bad, but because of him I didn't. Saw family again in EPCOT, my photos look awful, no fake smiling anymore. My quad felt like a brick with no power behind it. Finished in 4:01:01, a PR. So close to under 4, oh well. My pace was pretty even at 9 (some under) but the last couple miles were 9:30s, dang it! Running with a friend helped greatly to keep going when I wanted to quit.

Love the medals & shirts! Didn't make any meet ups, but did get to meet a few people which was super fun - @run.minnie.miles & @tigger536 -yay so glad to meet!

5k Water Stop Volunteering - Oh boy! I have a new respect for all volunteers. We had to be there at 3:00am (got there too early by Uber, duh there's no traffic) We were bused to backstage, set up the tables & water & then runners came through. Super fun, yet super cold. My hands and feet were so frozen. It's an efficient system & our team leader was awesome. We were cleaned up by 7:30am and bused back to the volunteer tent to check out. Overall I would volunteer again, but since it was tiring I'm super glad we had a day after before our races to sleep in/rest up.

Now to catch up on everyone else's recaps/stories. Congrats everyone!
Congrats on your marathon time!! We had similar goals/times for Goofy except I gave up on my quest for a 4 hour marathon pretty early due to the heat and my lack of sleep. I finished at 4:24 but stopped for several more characters and didn't have someone to push me at the end. I finished the half at 2:39 stopping at just about all the characters and I think I saw you at the end of line for Jack at mile 1.6. I recognized your costume as I ran by. I didn't stop for him there because I hadn't really warmed up yet and the line was long. I ended up stopping for him on the way back which worked out really well. It was cool he was out on both sides of the race...

During the marathon I took very few photos. However, two that I did take were of the 26 mile marker and the finish line once I had crossed. While editing photos this morning I realized there was a 6 minute clock difference between the two, and not in the expected direction: the mile marker said 7:40.31 and the finish line said 7:34.37. :confused3 Glad I wasn’t trusting the on course markers for my elapsed time.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! If you look back at my race report you’ll see that I ended up in a sprint to the finish because I saw the 26 mile marker clock and thought I had messed up my time calculations somewhere. Ive wondered ever since whether I was crazy, misread the clock, or if something was actually wrong with the mile marker clock! I’m happy to know it wasn’t me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! If you look back at my race report you’ll see that I ended up in a sprint to the finish because I saw the 26 mile marker clock and thought I had messed up my time calculations somewhere. Ive wondered ever since whether I was crazy, misread the clock, or if something was actually wrong with the mile marker clock! I’m happy to know it wasn’t me.

Similar experience for me in 2018 as well.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...mments-welcome.3475601/page-176#post-58677665

I learned I can't trust "official" runDisney mile markers timing.

GREAT seeing you, too! Thanks for the shout out outside of ESPN! I needed it.

Only at Disney! Congrats on a new marathon PR.
Thank you! haha Yes only at Disney!

Congrats on your marathon time!! We had similar goals/times for Goofy except I gave up on my quest for a 4 hour marathon pretty early due to the heat and my lack of sleep. I finished at 4:24 but stopped for several more characters and didn't have someone to push me at the end. I finished the half at 2:39 stopping at just about all the characters and I think I saw you at the end of line for Jack at mile 1.6. I recognized your costume as I ran by. I didn't stop for him there because I hadn't really warmed up yet and the line was long. I ended up stopping for him on the way back which worked out really well. It was cool he was out on both sides of the race...
Yep, we stopped for Pirates on the way out. I totally forgot he would be there on the way back! I stopped a lot but missed a handful, I think I've learned I can stop more and I'll live (when I don't want to run for time). Without my friend I would have given up for sure. Even though you gave up on the goal, Awesome time with all the stopping.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Current temp in Iowa is a balmy 3 degrees and yesterday instead of worrying about the heat for the marathon, I was running the snow blower. Life comes at you fast.

But! Those of us dealing with frigid temps in the north can still relive the warmth of Florida with a little Sundays are for Disney. This week, I want to know what were the highlights of WDW marathon weekend for you? List as many as you want and they don't have to all be runDisney related. If you didn't participate in this WDW marathon weekend, include some highlights from past trips.

Little late to this, but here are mine:

*Having a savanna view at AKL and spending lots of time on my balcony.
*Finishing my marathon.
*The woman with the bag of ice cubes between HS and Boardwalk. If you know who that was, please give her a hug.
*Those brief interactions with other runners:
-The woman from Fairbanks I spoke with in the corral one morning.
-The mother and son running with stuffed bears during the 5k in memory of the angel babies the son and his wife had recently lost.
-The dad and daughter running together during the 10k. To the daughter I wish I had said "Your dad is great; even if he is annoying you and embarrassing you he reminds me of mine and I wish he was here with me." To the dad - who was running in a kilt and showing the tech material off to lots of people and probably covered 10 miles going back and forth - I wish I had said "You rock. You remind me of my dad, and while you might be embarrassing your daughter right now she will eventually look back at this as a good memory."
-The woman in the purple tank that I kept leapfrogging with between the start and the exit of MK.
-The husband and wife team pushing their son during the marathon. I passed them coming out of AK and she was struggling. He passed me, with his son, coming out of WWoS and I asked about her; she had issues and was pulled from the course and he hadn't heard anything. Saw them again after I finished and asked about her, she was at the hospital on an IV drip.
-The Dopey runner who I was speaking with going in to take pictures with Mickey (hope your photos turned out better than mine). Mickey had a ball as the runner got his medals in the order he wanted to hold them.
-The runner I was on the monorail with Sunday night on the way to Epcot who went into Art of Disney with me; nice to be able to talk with someone at that hour.
*Meeting people from here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter