• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

Current temp in Iowa is a balmy 3 degrees and yesterday instead of worrying about the heat for the marathon, I was running the snow blower. Life comes at you fast.

But! Those of us dealing with frigid temps in the north can still relive the warmth of Florida with a little Sundays are for Disney. This week, I want to know what were the highlights of WDW marathon weekend for you? List as many as you want and they don't have to all be runDisney related. If you didn't participate in this WDW marathon weekend, include some highlights from past trips.

My highlights include:
- Completing my first Dopey. It will likely be my only one (the time commitment during a vacation is more than I care for), but I'm so glad I did it.
- Meeting a bunch of runDisney all-stars. Too many names to list and remember, but it was a pleasure meeting you all at the morning meet-and-greets, the Hurricane Hanna's party or DATW.
- Shots before the 5K and 10K with @rteetz and @jennamfeo
- Doing my first ever character stops during a race. I still have a long ways to go before I can just run a race totally for fun, but these were baby steps in the right direction!
- Scoring awesome locations to photograph Star Wars fireworks, Happily Ever After and IllumiNations (even if those photos turned out poorly)
- 50s Prime Time Cafe was the surprise of the entire week. The food was so good.
- Not surprising? Boma. Lived up to the hype. Possibly my new favorite restaurant on property (seafood gumbo FTW)
- Balancing nearly 50 miles of running and some crazy early mornings with lots of quality time with my family. Probably our best Disney vacation yet.

I'm sure there are many more, but it's early. Hopefully reading some of your highlights will jog my memory a bit.

Have a great week, everyone.
Highlights:
(1) I finished my first half marathon and it was more fun than I imagined.
(2) I spent the weekend with my husband. We are significantly more chill and communicate better without our kids around, and it is good to know we still like hanging out together.
(3) I kept my cool when I learned my kid was sick, which surprised myself and my husband. Grandma had no idea what she was in for when she agreed to keep the kids for the weekend and I am not sure it will ever happen again.
(4) I have determined I would skip drinks at Norway, China, and Morocco in the future. There are too many other things to be had to waste myself on those- including the lauded tipsy ducks in love. No thank you.
(5) I got to ride all the things my kids cannot or do not want to, confirming I really do not like big thrill rides. I am happy taking the chicken exit from ToT in the future.
(6) while test track is nothing like working at an automotive company, running on an automotive test track does prepare one for the camber of world drive.
(7) I was not as trained as I had planned, but I was more prepared than I expected. Even in the last mile I knew I had more in me.

I hope to have the chance to do it again!

Did anybody buy one of the Marathon Weekend 2019 magnets? I did but when I went to stick it to my car...no magnet attraction. I tried on some other metal surfaces and had the same issue. I've never had that happen before. Anybody else?

Yes! I thought I was completely losing it... but I guess I'm not the only one. We finally arrived to our house last night, and I pulled out the 48.6 Dopey magnet I bought and tried sticking it to my car and it fell off... I thought it was just my car, so I tried it on our magnet board(!) in our kitchen and it didn't stick at all. I thought maybe there was something I needed to peel off... but no, nothing. Could it have been de-magnetized by something? I dunno...
Anyway - I have now turned the magnet into a sticker (with double-sided tape) that I have in the back window of my car...

I haven't been on here since I left so have a lot to read!

I had a blast running Goofy! I ran with a friend for the half & full, which made it super fun.

HALF -- During the half I tried to take it easier, stopping a lot, and finished in 2:37. Regret not getting a castle photo, next time for sure! In hindsight I would have not skipped anyone either. Sebastian wasn't out when we went by & the CM wasn't sure when he would be back, boo! @croach thanks so much for the texting of characters! Watched my sister-in-law finish so saw a lot of finishers coming through from the bleachers, very cool! The half flew by.

I felt okay after the half. Went with the family to Studios. Even used one of the those Fizzy Recovery Bath Bombs I bought at the expo, think it helped. Fell asleep at like 7:00pm.

FULL -- Marathon morning I felt fine, my left hamstring felt a little tight but it faded away. I was aiming for under 4 hours. Did stop for 2 characters and a goat. I felt good & my friend paced me the whole time. Saw family at DAK, super boost! Made a 2nd bathroom stop at ESPN I kind of regret, but oh well. But, as we were leaving ESPN (hey @lhermiston loved seeing you at that point) my left quad started to feel heavy. Through Studios I fake smiled. I was hot & had kept pouring water over my head which helped. I started to whine a lot as my leg was dead, but my friend encouraged me and as we got to EPCOT I wanted to walk so bad, but because of him I didn't. Saw family again in EPCOT, my photos look awful, no fake smiling anymore. My quad felt like a brick with no power behind it. Finished in 4:01:01, a PR. So close to under 4, oh well. My pace was pretty even at 9 (some under) but the last couple miles were 9:30s, dang it! Running with a friend helped greatly to keep going when I wanted to quit.

Love the medals & shirts! Didn't make any meet ups, but did get to meet a few people which was super fun - @run.minnie.miles & @tigger536 -yay so glad to meet!

5k Water Stop Volunteering - Oh boy! I have a new respect for all volunteers. We had to be there at 3:00am (got there too early by Uber, duh there's no traffic) We were bused to backstage, set up the tables & water & then runners came through. Super fun, yet super cold. My hands and feet were so frozen. It's an efficient system & our team leader was awesome. We were cleaned up by 7:30am and bused back to the volunteer tent to check out. Overall I would volunteer again, but since it was tiring I'm super glad we had a day after before our races to sleep in/rest up.

Now to catch up on everyone else's recaps/stories. Congrats everyone!

It was great to meet you too! Sounds like a great weekend!

Yes! I thought I was completely losing it... but I guess I'm not the only one. We finally arrived to our house last night, and I pulled out the 48.6 Dopey magnet I bought and tried sticking it to my car and it fell off... I thought it was just my car, so I tried it on our magnet board(!) in our kitchen and it didn't stick at all. I thought maybe there was something I needed to peel off... but no, nothing. Could it have been de-magnetized by something? I dunno...
Anyway - I have now turned the magnet into a sticker (with double-sided tape) that I have in the back window of my car...

Yep same here. I've tried it on a few metal surfaces and no luck. Defective I guess.

What I focus on is you telling me how much time you have available to train. So I make the training fit around your life. Thus, I've worked with people with little time to train and we've gotten them through the marathon rather comfortably. But this isn't a get rich quick scheme. You'll have to do some training assuredly. But #1 on the list when there's a limited schedule is being very consistent and diligent about the time you do have available. I can usually make a training plan that matches that of a normal HM plan to physically prepare you for a marathon. So if that desire to run another marathon comes back (and it almost always does), then we can sit down and map out a path to success based on you.
If anyone is wondering about how to train for a race, I cannot recommend enough contacting @DopeyBadger to help you prepare. I worried too much about the high mileage runs not being anywhere near what I expected for a marathon, but when he explained the higher volume I had been running in comparison to the Galloway Dopey plan, I knew that my preparation should be sufficient. When I was finishing up the half marathon on Saturday and knew that I was not even close to spent like I usually am during a half marathon, my confidence soared again. As he says, training is difficult. You have to commit to it and stay that way. But it works. I ran Dopey and my confidence up to the half was based on trusting my training and knowing I had a plan. When I finished the half marathon substantially stronger than ever before, I knew that I had a whole lot left in the tank. While I did not know yet what would unfold during the marathon, I knew at that moment I was as prepared as I could be without having run the race.

I put up a full recap of my marathon experience on my blog for anyone who's interested :) https://runningandenjoying.blogspot.com/2019/01/2019-disney-world-marathon.html
I'm so happy you were able to finish. When I was debating about whether or not I actually wanted to register for the marathon, you shared with me about how your first marathon attempt that ended in a sweep was still a good experience, that helped me feel better about how I might feel if I didn't finish. So I'm very excited that you experienced the thrill of finishing!

I hope to have the chance to do it again!
Funny how that works. Sometimes we think we hate running and then it suddenly gets better.

I wound up catching a cold on January 2nd. It quickly morphed from not too bad into really bad, and the only reason I wasn't completely afraid it would ruin my Dopey marathon dream is because the worst day was 4 days before I left for Disney World. Between focusing on rest and recovery and dealing with the work chaos of being out one day and having to leave for a week long vacation, staying caught up with this thread went on the back burner.

First off, I'm glad that those who were not able to finish out there are doing better. The heat and humidity during the marathon were difficult and I heard so many horror stories about serious medical issues on the course.

Second off, a huge congratulations to everyone who finished their race(s), whatever distance(s) they chose to run. No matter what distance you choose, this is not easy. I had so many CMs say they could never run and I always replied with "I used to think that too." My first half marathon was really difficult, probably one of my two most difficult races ever. I never even dreamed that I would not only someday register for a marathon, but actually finish it and enjoy the experience. So many of you inspired me whether it be through your encouragement to me personally or just sharing the highs and lows of training.

SAFD: Highlights of Marathon Weekend in no particular order.

1. The CMs efforts in making me feel even happier than I already did about finishing the marathon and Dopey. The characters were tremendous. I'll never forget Mickey applauding me when I got a picture taken with him and all of my medals in Epcot the day of the marathon. So many CMs and characters made the moment extra magical for me. Since I was in the parks by myself, I appreciated feeling like I wasn't alone. I also really enjoyed the knowing smiles from fellow runners.

2. A special shout out to anyone who took the time out of their vacation to cheer for the runners. Whether you were there for a friend or family member, or just embraced the moment when we went by you in the parks and made it take a bit longer before you got to where you wanted to go, your cheers provided an extra boost of energy at times when it was so needed. After mile 21 became a real struggle for me, but it all seemed to turn once I got into Hollywood Studios where cheering crowds for the rest of the race really helped me finish with a smile on my face. On the bus ride from POFQ to Epcot after the marathon, the bus driver congratulated all the runners and we applauded each other and those who had cheered during the races.

3. The volunteers. They were always cheerful and ready with extra powerade or water. I poured a lot of water on my head over the last 6 miles or so.

4. The tropical fruit smoothie from the Morocco pavilion in Epcot. It possessed the tremendous virtue of being icy cold and not tasting anything like powerade and water. I think it's why I began to sing when Let's Go Fly a Kite played over the speakers a few minutes later. I truly felt like I was flying. Either a runners high or hallucination. I'm not sure which one.

I didn't get to meet anyone here to my disappointment. The timing didn't work before the races. Suffice it to say, I truly appreciate all that I've learned from this community. I never would have seriously entertained the idea of actually running a marathon if so many people here hadn't written up their experiences about it. That helped me see beyond the idea of running 26.2 miles continuously. When I finished the half on Saturday, I said "this was so much fun that I'm going to do it again tomorrow. Twice." I was terrified before my first half marathon. Before my first marathon I had a strange sense of peace. I truly felt prepared.

I'd love to run marathon weekend again, but timing in January is tricky and this may well turn out to be my only shot at it. But if so, I'm glad I had the opportunity.

Anybody about to lose a toenail? lol I always heard that happens after a marathon, never had a problem after all my half’s but I’ve watched my toe get more and more black and blue over the last couple days and it’s inevitable

I’m not sure if they’re black and blue since they’re painted hot pink, but a few feel like they’re just hanging by a thread! Lol

Anybody about to lose a toenail? lol I always heard that happens after a marathon, never had a problem after all my half’s but I’ve watched my toe get more and more black and blue over the last couple days and it’s inevitable

I’ve lost the same toenail (right pointer) twice in less than a year. First after last year’s Darkside Half and then about a week ago.

Nope, just still waiting for the worst blister I have had in my entire life to heal. At least the exact cause of it is known - grit from WWoS stadium.

If anyone is wondering about how to train for a race, I cannot recommend enough contacting @DopeyBadger to help you prepare. I worried too much about the high mileage runs not being anywhere near what I expected for a marathon, but when he explained the higher volume I had been running in comparison to the Galloway Dopey plan, I knew that my preparation should be sufficient. When I was finishing up the half marathon on Saturday and knew that I was not even close to spent like I usually am during a half marathon, my confidence soared again. As he says, training is difficult. You have to commit to it and stay that way. But it works. I ran Dopey and my confidence up to the half was based on trusting my training and knowing I had a plan. When I finished the half marathon substantially stronger than ever before, I knew that I had a whole lot left in the tank. While I did not know yet what would unfold during the marathon, I knew at that moment I was as prepared as I could be without having run the race.

I'm so happy you were able to finish. When I was debating about whether or not I actually wanted to register for the marathon, you shared with me about how your first marathon attempt that ended in a sweep was still a good experience, that helped me feel better about how I might feel if I didn't finish. So I'm very excited that you experienced the thrill of finishing!

Funny how that works. Sometimes we think we hate running and then it suddenly gets better.

I wound up catching a cold on January 2nd. It quickly morphed from not too bad into really bad, and the only reason I wasn't completely afraid it would ruin my Dopey marathon dream is because the worst day was 4 days before I left for Disney World. Between focusing on rest and recovery and dealing with the work chaos of being out one day and having to leave for a week long vacation, staying caught up with this thread went on the back burner.

First off, I'm glad that those who were not able to finish out there are doing better. The heat and humidity during the marathon were difficult and I heard so many horror stories about serious medical issues on the course.

Second off, a huge congratulations to everyone who finished their race(s), whatever distance(s) they chose to run. No matter what distance you choose, this is not easy. I had so many CMs say they could never run and I always replied with "I used to think that too." My first half marathon was really difficult, probably one of my two most difficult races ever. I never even dreamed that I would not only someday register for a marathon, but actually finish it and enjoy the experience. So many of you inspired me whether it be through your encouragement to me personally or just sharing the highs and lows of training.

SAFD: Highlights of Marathon Weekend in no particular order.

1. The CMs efforts in making me feel even happier than I already did about finishing the marathon and Dopey. The characters were tremendous. I'll never forget Mickey applauding me when I got a picture taken with him and all of my medals in Epcot the day of the marathon. So many CMs and characters made the moment extra magical for me. Since I was in the parks by myself, I appreciated feeling like I wasn't alone. I also really enjoyed the knowing smiles from fellow runners.

2. A special shout out to anyone who took the time out of their vacation to cheer for the runners. Whether you were there for a friend or family member, or just embraced the moment when we went by you in the parks and made it take a bit longer before you got to where you wanted to go, your cheers provided an extra boost of energy at times when it was so needed. After mile 21 became a real struggle for me, but it all seemed to turn once I got into Hollywood Studios where cheering crowds for the rest of the race really helped me finish with a smile on my face. On the bus ride from POFQ to Epcot after the marathon, the bus driver congratulated all the runners and we applauded each other and those who had cheered during the races.

3. The volunteers. They were always cheerful and ready with extra powerade or water. I poured a lot of water on my head over the last 6 miles or so.

4. The tropical fruit smoothie from the Morocco pavilion in Epcot. It possessed the tremendous virtue of being icy cold and not tasting anything like powerade and water. I think it's why I began to sing when Let's Go Fly a Kite played over the speakers a few minutes later. I truly felt like I was flying. Either a runners high or hallucination. I'm not sure which one.

I didn't get to meet anyone here to my disappointment. The timing didn't work before the races. Suffice it to say, I truly appreciate all that I've learned from this community. I never would have seriously entertained the idea of actually running a marathon if so many people here hadn't written up their experiences about it. That helped me see beyond the idea of running 26.2 miles continuously. When I finished the half on Saturday, I said "this was so much fun that I'm going to do it again tomorrow. Twice." I was terrified before my first half marathon. Before my first marathon I had a strange sense of peace. I truly felt prepared.

I'd love to run marathon weekend again, but timing in January is tricky and this may well turn out to be my only shot at it. But if so, I'm glad I had the opportunity.
I thought I saw you at Cosmic Rays walk in and out like Friday than a bit later near the Gaston statue, but I wasn't sure so didn't say anything as I didn't want to come across crazy. I remember your photos from past race reports, so it was you or a doppleganger maybe?!?! Glad you had a great race weekend congrats Dopey!

Highlights:..............
.........(6) while test track is nothing like working at an automotive company, running on an automotive test track does prepare one for the camber of world drive.

This is too funny! (albeit kinda true!)

Space Coast is a good camber warm-up for Marathon Weekend. Miles of it if you don't stay closer to road's center line.

Now if you want to talk about real camber just detour down to McDonald's at mile 15.5. Going down the Osceola Pkwy on ramp is not a problem but on the way up is knee wrenching, ankle buckling crazy. Of course the reward for completing the detour and re-entering the Marathon is a refreshing M&M McFlurry followed by some caffeine infused Espresso. :yay:

All things considered, I expected a number of toenails to reveal my stupidity in only having completed 30 miles of "marathon training" since last year's Marathon. I am pleasantly surprised that only my left big toe is in the process of a "Toenail Eclipse". Moving from left edge to right edge the darkening is increasingly taking over the otherwise healthy hue. Currently at a half eclipse and if it actually makes it to FULL, I'll get down and :worship:.

McFlurry John

I may have missed it somewhere after race day but was anyone else disappointed with the smaller crowds of spectators or am I the only one who didnt link the obvious effect of less runners overall, less hotel occupancy would obviously equal less spectators?
Funny, I had the opposite impression - to me, it felt like there was far more Marathon spectator interaction and enthusiasm this year vs. last year!

This week, I want to know what were the highlights of WDW marathon weekend for you? List as many as you want and they don't have to all be runDisney related. with my family. Probably our best Disney vacation yet.
SAFD: 2019 Marathon Weekend Highlights...
~ Having way too much fun goofing off with friends in the 5K
~ Being part of a huge group dressed alike for the 10K, starting out in a bunch of small groups and picking up more into our larger group as we went through the course
~ Taking the day "off" the day of the half, sleeping later, lounging around my resort, enjoying a leisurely lunch at Disney Springs, and generally getting an entire day to relax and read
~ Miles 0-15 of the marathon, when I was running the race of my life, killing a PR pace but feeling comfortable with the effort! Unfortunately, miles 16-26+ were the worst race miles of my life, but with some distance, I'm still pretty stoked about what I was able to do outside of heat and GI issues.
~ Having the perfect day - idea light, temp, sky, etc. - for medal pics on Mon. I love getting artsy with a camera and rarely have time to do so.

I felt especially there were more people inside MK, and that we were confined to only half of Main Street. Was that the same in 2018?

I felt especially there were more people inside MK, and that we were confined to only half of Main Street. Was that the same in 2018?
Yes, runners only use half of Main Street while fans are on the other side.

I felt the crowds/cheering were amazing. Didn't seem any less to me at all and yeah maybe more than last year since it wasn't freezing, I don't know.

I also love when there are Marching Bands out.

One other thing I just remembered - were the trampolinists ever trampolining? They were just cheering when we went by. Wondered if they had a malfunction this year?!

One other thing I just remembered - were the trampolinists ever trampolining? They were just cheering when we went by. Wondered if they had a malfunction this year?!
I noticed the same thing. Can't remember where they were - Osceola? I don't even recall seeing the trampoline set up.

This year was my husband's 7th Disney Marathon. We noticed that there were a lot fewer runners than in previous years. Anyone know why? Last year, there were 20,000+ finishers and this year it was less than 12,000.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter