Well the weekend caught up to me and I have a cold.

Did the 5, 10 and half. Noticed some drainage Thursday, felt OK Friday, and thought I would die Saturday about 2/3 through. Got some mucinex and just stayed in bed the rest of the day. We flew home Sunday and I hit the clinic as soon as we landed as my ears never "popped" during altitude changes. Was diagnosed with a double ear infection, sinus infection, upper respiratory infection, bronchitis, and an asthma flare. Still not recovered but am at least feeling human today.

My wife did not participate and came back with bronchitis and an ear infection, our son ran the 5 and 10 with me and is currently sick at the clinic with similar symptoms. Our doc has another frequent RunDisney participant-she just told our son that person was in the office on Monday with exactly the same symptoms.

At least we had fun, was able to complete the races, and mostly enjoy the trip. It sure beat the Star Wars race weekend when I lost the half due to a lodged kidney stone and an ER visit.

Hello all,

Still new to these boards but learning quite a bit. Finished Dopey Challenge this past week after running my first Disney race this past Fall : the W & D Two Course Challenge. My favorite part was running through the parks (Magic Kingdom +++) and stopping for pics with the characters. I too did not enjoy trying to navigate around participants who walked two and three abreast promptly out of the gate and were more likely than not, in corrals that should not have been in. I suppose my biggest annoyance was (I hope this does not come across as rude or disparaging) the annoying blonde announcer who endlessly screams into the microphone ranting about mylar blankets. She also did this at the W & D races - not funny then nor was it amusing this past weekend. She probably wouldn't be that bad if the didn't scream into the microphone. I was relieved that she was not at the 10k - but alas - she was back for the half and for the full. I just find her antics to be distracting and takes away from what otherwise was an awesome and "magical" weekend. It was great to run and meet up with so many other runners and look forward to more Disney races to come.

- Kyle
That announcer won’t go away - she’s married to Jeff Galloway’s son.

That announcer won’t go away - she’s married to Jeff Galloway’s son.

Ahhh, I see. That explains a lot Dis_Yoda. I guess I'll have to invest in some disposable earplugs for the next Disney race I run. Thanks for the heads up!

I NEED those shorts... Link??
They are my custom/team shorts/kit for the team I race for..Big Sexy Racing. The clothing is made by Own Way Apparel and they have no minimums....you can create your own design for one pair of shorts or outfit an entire cross country team.

http://ownwayapparel.com/

41801887-1872303966191619-3815295594511990784-n.jpg

41799576-1872304666191549-8800809669393121280-n.jpg

41863916-1872303836191632-5830920658443304960-n.jpg

Last edited:

@Kyle4858 you aren’t alone!! She’s been around for years, unfortunately - she’s also on DME TV (assuming they haven’t changed it since I last took Magical Express).

I cannot freaking STAND her. :sad2:

I didn’t see her on either of my DME trips. I wasn’t paying close attention but the videos seemed pretty disjointed. They need an update to that system.

It’s old for most everyone here, but I remember being pretty excited watching the DME presentation the first time I rode it 7-8 years ago. This time riding over I was struck that it was just random old videos and didn’t feel in any way current. I can’t imagine any first timers on those buses gained any excitement or information from them.

I didn’t see her on either of my DME trips. I wasn’t paying close attention but the videos seemed pretty disjointed. They need an update to that system.

It’s old for most everyone here, but I remember being pretty excited watching the DME presentation the first time I rode it 7-8 years ago. This time riding over I was struck that it was just random old videos and didn’t feel in any way current. I can’t imagine any first timers on those buses gained any excitement or information from them.
I miss the old video where the characters were checking in for their stay at the Grand Floridian. :(

I did think that she got far less air time for the marathon than the 5k. . .
I have this weird thing - I try to get to the race pretty late - helps with the nerves. I got to the start line of the half about 5:15 plugged in my headphones and ignored the stage except for the National Anthem. Honestly what’s the big deal ? I liked the fireworks but I got work to do

It does include Goofy and Dopey. And the SAG list wasn’t that long so think if have just felt like 7,000.

They give you the clock time and the net time on the finishers page. So if you started right at the front of A you should have the same times. But if you were say the ballon ladies you should have a difference of like 45 minutes between the two. So I just put all the finishers in a spreadsheet, calculated the difference in the two times, figured out their corral from their bib number and from there it’s easy to see who started ahead of their corral. Now some the runners could have had there corrals changed at runner relations and their times are pretty obvious as to why. The rest - well who knows but I think a lot of them jumped.

Eh, it's possible people who are legitimately in the earlier corrals just went slow. My half time is 1:55 and my POT was a 50:22 10k, putting me in B. I started in C with my wife, and we took our sweet time and finished in like 2:42

Eh, it's possible people who are legitimately in the earlier corrals just went slow. My half time is 1:55 and my POT was a 50:22 10k, putting me in B. I started in C with my wife, and we took our sweet time and finished in like 2:42

Going fast or slow won't make any difference in @croach's calculations. It's starting in the correct corral that he's looking at, not how long it takes you to run the race.

Yes but again it’s not about your finish time and going slow and having fun. It’s when you crossed the start line that matters in relation to where your bib placed you. So look at some of the people in the first picture, like the fourth person down. Then look at the last two people in the second list - those are the ballon ladies. See the difference in the clock time and the gun time. The balloon ladies started 45 minutes after the gun time, which is when the A corral went off. That other person has no difference which means they were at the start of A. Does it mean they corral jumped -no. But it is likely that a lot of people with like stats did.

upload_2019-1-18_11-58-56.png

upload_2019-1-18_11-59-19.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter