Marathon Weekend 2017!

I'm going to miss running the race tomorrow. It's a great experience and the Half is always my "fun" race of the weekend; I make some character stops and take things, relatively, easier during that race.

What I don't feel is a lack of "earning" my 4th Dopey medal assuming I'm lucky enough to finish the marathon on Sunday. I don't plan on jumping through any hoops to get my Half medal, but if I get it I will always display it with all my others; it will just have a different story that goes with it. I have no plans to run any mileage tomorrow, I know that I could have finished the 48.6 miles and I am using this as a unique opportunity to perhaps have a little more in the tank for that final 26.2.

I know, thinking back on my first Half Marathon, how devastating this news must be to some. I don't believe I would have had the determination to keep going if I had not done that first race. It showed me how far I had to go and that I really was just punishing myself by only aiming to achieve the bare minimum. I hope others will have the strength that I fear I would not have had myself.

I understand that others will have different plans and have differing opinions to my own. I'm going to make the best of a bad situation and applaud anyone who does the same (in whatever form that takes).

I don't believe that Disney Design-a-Tee has the ability to do your own images...does anyone know? It seems like they have presets and you can add text. Sigh, I wish it was possible by tomorrow.

https://www.disneysprings.com/shops/disney-design-a-tee/

http://www.bigfrog.com/orlando/?fromwhere=system

This is the same company that we use in Atlanta, and you can definitely use your own image (or have them design you one if you are artistically challenged like me). I have been very happy with the work that they have done for our family.

Last edited:
http://www.bigfrog.com/orlando/?fromwhere=system

This is the same company that we use in Atlanta, and you can definitely use your own image (or have them design you one if you are artistic challenged like me). I have been very happy with the work that they have done for our family.
oh, that would probably work - they have a 24 hour turn around time, but suspect they could do quick and dirty print sooner.

but sadly, I have NO car, so this would be impossible for me.

Debating whether I would look totally insane walking my 13.1 around Epcot wearing my bib and race outfit...:scratchin
Oh while you would look totally insane, it doesn't matter. To some degree we all look insane at Disney. I once remember watching the Mad Hatter lead a kick line of husbands and fathers before Disneyland opened while their wives and children looked on and laughed.

I'm sure I looked totally insane when the Mad Hatter had me playing musical chairs. Except one round he wanted us to jump around like bunny rabbits. So, insanity is relative.

I am going to run. Likely the "lake" between Pop and AOA. Need to figure out the mileage to know how many loops, but just need to in order to feel complete about this year.

This is such a great site. I heard about the cancellation in Epcot. The first place I wanted to go to was this site. I knew there would be helpful info and positive people. Hoping the offer from runDisney to the Challenge runners is good, and 2018 just became very real for me!

Wishing everyone safe and fulfilling runs, or rests, tomorrow. Looking forward to the Marathon on Sunday.
It's ~1.98 KM, whatever that is in miles, I ran it this morning. I'll be out there doing 10.5 laps tomorrow morning, early if there is no lightning. (I am popping up to my room on laps 4 and 7, which is why 10.5 laps not 11, for fuel and water :)). Really i am just going to rely on my Garmin to tell me when I can fall over.

My husband is a pilot and has some fancy radar... it has a big cluster of lightning storms that are in the Gulf headed this way in the morning hours. For those of you wanting to run your half on your own, please be careful.

of course the weather is now changing to scattered thunderstorms and pretty much clearing up (i.e. only rain) after 9am....so they couldn't just delay the damn thing from 5:30 to like 9:30???? Really? So you take up a couple of hours or park time to have runners go through, geez, would it be so bad than pulling the plug completely? I know there is setup and on-course volunteers but geez.

of course the weather is now changing to scattered thunderstorms and pretty much clearing up (i.e. only rain) after 9am....so they couldn't just delay the damn thing from 5:30 to like 9:30???? Really? So you take up a couple of hours or park time to have runners go through, geez, would it be so bad than pulling the plug completely? I know there is setup and on-course volunteers but geez.
I know people keep talking about the weather changing. It is what it is, they can't go back now. I do kind of wish they would've waited at least a couple more hours to decide for sure but I don't make those decisions and I'm sure tonight's decision wasn't an easy one.

Yeah, I think they finalize the course set-up overnight. And there's no way we could go through MK when it's open, so they'd have to change the course.

This is going to be a mess for them. Having to give out medals, compensate all 26K of us, and listen to complaints...this is probably the last thing they wanted to do.

I am disappointed, but I will be wearing my half shirt and have pinned my bib to my backpack for my now longer day at Hollywood Studios tomorrow. I had mixed feelings on it, but after some great pep talks from my family, and reading some really great and positive comments here and on Facebook, I am going to own the hard work and training, and know I would have been able to finish it if it had gone on as planned. I will wear the shirt and be happy I am in Disney and not in MN right now in the cold! I will run the 13.1 when I get home and earn the medal but for now I am going to enjoy the rest of my no running runDisney vaca and just get more excited that I will be coming back in a month and a half to do Princess. Thank you all for your positivity and humor, it really made me change my attitude on this whole thing tonight!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter