Making a Decision

I’m an over thinker so I go thorough every possible pro and con and possible outcome. Once I pretty much have my made up, I ask people for their opinion. If they have a valid point I’ll consider changing my mind.

Depends on the situation.

At work, I have to make quick and impactful decisions all the time, and I have no trouble doing it.

At home and in personal life I often can shoot from the hip. However, if it comes to spending pretty decent money (I'm cheap, so that's a low threshold, LOL) I can get caught in paralysis by analysis.

I am a very decisive person, for the most part decisions come easy for me. If it is a large decisions that would have a large impact, I like to discuss with my husband as he can bring a different perspective that I may not have considered, or can at least talk through my thought process which can help.

I too find that different types of decisions require different levels of processing and thought. Some I know I can trust my instinct and be come to the right conclusions. Others require me to be more methodical.

If it is a somewhat emotional decision, that is where I try to be more mindful and consider the options more carefully instead of just going with my first reaction. Fact based decisions I can get to quickly in most cases.

However, in general, I am a decisive person. Work requires that of me too.

I too find that different types of decisions require different levels of processing and thought. Some I know I can trust my instinct and be come to the right conclusions. Others require me to be more methodical.

If it is a somewhat emotional decision, that is where I try to be more mindful and consider the options more carefully instead of just going with my first reaction. Fact based decisions I can get to quickly in most cases.

However, in general, I am a decisive person. Work requires that of me too.

Yes, it really depends on the type of decision and what it's for. I once read that major, successful CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, once they have all the info in front of them, tend to make decisions really quickly and rarely change their minds.

I find I do this too. (Sometimes.) When a decision feels right, I just know it. I rarely change my mind afterward. Unless, it's because more info gets added that changes things. But, even then, I'll most likely stick with what I originally thought and ride out the consequences of that decision.

The times I hesitate, it's often because I don't have enough info to make an informed decision. Or because I have too much info and both situations seem right. And all that info paralyses me. I often have to remind myself that if both decisions seem okay, then just PICK ONE. Sometimes finally making a decision takes less energy than all the ruminating over it. :headache: And often one decision is just marginally better or different than the other one.

When it comes to making a major money decision, like buying furniture, I will think it over 3 times or more. Mainly because I don't want to get stuck with something that I later think, "What was I thinking when I got that?" :headache:

Or because I have too much info and both situations seem right. And all that info paralyses me. I often have to remind myself that if both decisions seem okay, then just PICK ONE. Sometimes finally making a decision takes less energy than all the ruminating over it. :headache: And often one decision is just marginally better or different than the other one.

So so true...I know we aren’t to discuss religion but for me this decision struggle comes from being raised with the religious idea that God has a perfect plan and one bad decision from me could screw it up. I have said it many times recently that I have come to realize that many decisions have no perfect answer. Just choose!

I tried to raise my children differently. As my DD23 was stressing about colleges a few years ago, I reminded her often that she should be happy about her wealth of choices and then just choose whichever felt “best.” I was recently able to remind her again as she was looking at wedding venues and dresses...”They’re all beautiful so just choose.” I’m happy to say that she chose the second venue she looked at and bought the 5th dress she tried on so she’s farther along than I was at her age.

I am an over thinker in general. But emotional decisions are tough because you can't research and base decision on facts.
To an extent, this may be true. However, there are usually (or at least often) facts involved in emotional decisions. The decisions are emotional because we tend to want to ignore the facts or for the facts to not be true. That is why I find I need to step back and try to approach it with a clear head.

I never ask anyone, I might sleep on it, but in the end it will probably be a decission based on a feeling

I never ask anyone, I might sleep on it, but in the end it will probably be a decission based on a feeling
For me it would depend on the decision. Some times talking it through helps sometimes it just makes things worse. And sometimes it is just not something you want to talk to anyone about.

At the moment I’m facing the hardest decision of my life. I’ve tried gathering as much information as possible on the possible outcomes of each option and the likelihood of those occurring, through a lot of research and discussion with experts. It’s really hard though as there is a scarcity of evidence and no real way of knowing what the ‘right’ answer is. I think what it is ultimately coming down to is what I feel in my gut is best for me and which approach I will be less likely to regret or wonder ‘what if’ for the rest of my life.

Everyone calls me Mr what if. I think things through almost to a fault before I decide to go ahead.

I wish I could think of a way to turn all this overthinking into a job. Then I’d truly never work a day in my life.

I’ve been thinking about it (shocking) and I think the reason I do this is, because of my ms, there’s so much of my life that is out of my control. I hold on to everything I CAN control to not feel so helpless.

It really is hard living life not knowing how things will be when you wake up the next day. When I wake up I always take an assessment right away. Can you see, check, can you feel your arms, check, can you feel your legs, check, is anything numb or tingling, negative. Ok, cue the worlds smallest violin, I know I know

:charac2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter