Making a Decision

I guess it depends on the situation. I have tried the pros/cons thing, asking advice... I don't have one set process.

This.
For me, it really depends on the situation that is having me to make a decision. I definitely go all pros and cons. I will wake up in the night and toss and turn over it for hours especially if I just can't make up my mind.
And I often ask you guys. Remember my thread on watching the grandkids.......you guys are great for throwing out ideas and opinions. :thumbsup2

I wish I could think of a way to turn all this overthinking into a job. Then I’d truly never work a day in my life.

I’ve been thinking about it (shocking) and I think the reason I do this is, because of my ms, there’s so much of my life that is out of my control. I hold on to everything I CAN control to not feel so helpless.

It really is hard living life not knowing how things will be when you wake up the next day. When I wake up I always take an assessment right away. Can you see, check, can you feel your arms, check, can you feel your legs, check, is anything numb or tingling, negative. Ok, cue the worlds smallest violin, I know I know

:charac2:
:grouphug: That’s such a tough row to hoe...I hope today is a “well” day for you. I’ve known quite a number of people with varying levels of physical disability and every single one of them tend towards what you described - striving to control what they can. It’s very understandable.:flower3:

Decision-making is tough for me and I’m not a good fast-reactor. For every one minute I spend doing something, I need to spend three minutes thinking it through first. It can take me a long, long time to mull through all the aspects of a big decision, pray about it and wait for clarity. This often looks like procrastination but it isn’t. I also tend to “pre-think” situations that haven’t arisen yet so when it seems like I’ve made a quick decision, it’s only because I had that one waiting in the wings ready to go. :laughing:

:grouphug: That’s such a tough row to hoe...I hope today is a “well” day for you. I’ve known quite a number of people with varying levels of physical disability and every single one of them tend towards what you described - striving to control what they can. It’s very understandable.:flower3:

Decision-making is tough for me and I’m not a good fast-reactor. For every one minute I spend doing something, I need to spend three minutes thinking it through first. It can take me a long, long time to mull through all the aspects of a big decision, pray about it and wait for clarity. This often looks like procrastination but it isn’t. I also tend to “pre-think” situations that haven’t arisen yet so when it seems like I’ve made a quick decision, it’s only because I had that one waiting in the wings ready to go. :laughing:

I relate to the pre-think so much!!

I’ve been relatively symptom free for about two years. Since I did the treatments one and two years ago, in theory, I should stay as I am from now on. I have very stubborn ms so I don’t want to trust it.

I wish I could think of a way to turn all this overthinking into a job. Then I’d truly never work a day in my life.

I’ve been thinking about it (shocking) and I think the reason I do this is, because of my ms, there’s so much of my life that is out of my control. I hold on to everything I CAN control to not feel so helpless.

It really is hard living life not knowing how things will be when you wake up the next day. When I wake up I always take an assessment right away. Can you see, check, can you feel your arms, check, can you feel your legs, check, is anything numb or tingling, negative. Ok, cue the worlds smallest violin, I know I know

:charac2:
I understand the feeling of having no control over things. I agree with you that we over control the things we can because of it. I have no idea what ms feels like or the struggle associated with the disease so there's no need for the violin because I'm positive it sucks and is a struggle.

My biggest issue right now is that I’m pretty sure I know what I SHOULD do but it is not what I WANT to do. I’m trying reconcile this and figure out if there is any compromise. And in the end the decision may have already been made for me.

I relate to the pre-think so much!!

I’ve been relatively symptom free for about two years. Since I did the treatments one and two years ago, in theory, I should stay as I am from now on. I have very stubborn ms so I don’t want to trust it.
Every MS sufferer I personally know has remitting/relapsing so they never know when the current "plateau" may slide out from under them. I realize there are other forms though and I think you mentioned before yours isn't R/R. I certainly hope you stay well! :flower3:

Every MS sufferer I personally know has remitting/relapsing so they never know when the current "plateau" may slide out from under them. I realize there are other forms though and I think you mentioned before yours isn't R/R. I certainly hope you stay well! :flower3:

I do have r/r. I have some eye issues that won’t ever get better but my Dr. doesn't consider it enough to classify me as something else.

And they can cure that now?

No, there’s still no cure. The treatments that I had two years ago and last year are the strongest treatment available right now. It’s considered the nuclear option because of what it does. I was given a variation of chi drugs and a bunch of other toxins which killed my immune system. That’s not just talk, I was registering 0.0 white blood cells. The theory/hope/results are that my body would regenerate a healthy immune system.

*very, very, simple explanation of MS is that it causes my immune system to attack my brain and spinal cord and eat away the protective coat. Messages slip out the holes instead of getting to their intended target*

So, I had the treatments and for about two years I haven’t had a relapse. In the past I could go 3/4 years between attacks so no one can know for sure if the treatment works. Only time will tell. The treatment can’t cure or reverse damage already done, but it’s supposed to help me maintain where I am now. If that’s all I get, I’ll be happy with it. I do have some pain and other stuff but it could be so much worse.

sorry for the hijack OP :wave2:

And in the end the decision may have already been made for me.

NOT making a decision IS actually making a decision too. One likes to think that some external force or event makes the decision for them, when actually NOT making a decision, (so things end up that way,) IS making a decision.

One needs to own up to that and take responsibility. People who are paralyzed, thinking they can't make a decision, so that one is forced upon them, really are responsible for how it turned out. So, just make a decision.

NOT making a decision IS actually making a decision too. One likes to think that some external force or event makes the decision for them, when actually NOT making a decision, (so things end up that way,) IS making a decision.

One needs to own up to that and take responsibility. People who are paralyzed, thinking they can't make a decision, so that one is forced upon them, really are responsible for how it turned out. So, just make a decision.

I don't disagree with you on this. But in this instance, I haven't had the chance to actually make the decision as it would involve talking to someone about the decision and that was suppose to tentatively happen in a few days. But I have yet to get confirmation of said meeting. No meeting = the decision being made for me.

I tend to overthink things. I google, read reviews, write down pros and cons and mull things over. Making decisions is hard for me because I want to make the *right* one. It’s terrible.

I tend to overthink things. I google, read reviews, write down pros and cons and mull things over. Making decisions is hard for me because I want to make the *right* one. It’s terrible.

This is so me too. And then there are times I make the decision and then fret over whether or not a made the correct one.

I say this with the best intentions, but if we're talking about the same guy you've posted about previously, I'd say it's time to "let it go". He's strung you along way too long. If he's finally coming around & treating you well, I apologize for mentioning it.

If this is about a random decision, I'm one of those people who overthinks everything. I try to imagine everything negative that could possibly happen & weigh that against the positive. That wasn't the case in my youth & I made plenty of mistakes. I try to limit those now that I'm older.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter