Make a Wish (and other organizations) - Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume THREE! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is one of the hotter parks....well you can always make Feb your 1st choice...:thumbsup2

We found the stroller to be HUGE for Jakers and yes while he has IV fluids that keep him going, you could do the same with Ali and just run pedilyte on a slow rate thru out the day and see how things go. I can not tell you how many times Jake passed out for 20 mins here and there and boom he back to himself ready to go...:rotfl:

Again, the Feb time is just a suggestion....:confused3

You're too funny.:rotfl: We do plan on bringing Ali's stroller and probably renting one for Maya. I also have a cooling vest for her, though I couldn't get her to wear it last summer. I may just not give her the choice if it looks like she is really struggling.

We spent the night in the ER last night. Deyki had a fever and abdominal pain. His hemaglobin dropped to 7.5. They think it's a virus. Thankfully we were able to go home at 4am. We go back first thing in the morning and again on Tuesday for more IV antibiotics and labs. Please be praying he keeps getting better, doesn't get admitted, and only needs to be stuck once for his IVs each day.

I did load more pictures on my photobucket account to prepare to continue our TR. It takes forever to load them with my ever so slow dial-up connection!

If we could get a few days of stability around here, I would continue our TR with Deyki fighting Darth Vader! Hopefully soon!

I hope that he's feeling better today and that he doesn't end up being admitted.:hug:

Our two year old Landon is completely g-tube fed. Our wish trip was the last week in May 2009. It was really hot the day we went to AK. We gave Landon tons of extra water that day through his tube. We just put it on a slow steady rate to keep him hydrated.

Our problem is that if she's already feeling punky, we have a hard time getting her rate past 90. I don't know why since her motility issues are mostly upper and lower (stomach is fine to my knowledge), but she'll scream that her belly hurts. She needs about 1200 - 1500ml of free fluids just for maintainance.

Hi guys.....I notice lots of names on here that I don't recognize so I'm sure my own name is going to be foreign to many of you. We just took our trip to GKTW in December (10-18) and had a fabulous time! With the above talk about Wish Trips and making them special I thought I would paste a post I had on my PTR (maroo had suggested I do so but I hadn't gotten around to it). Just seemed appropro given some of the above posts.

Things that occured to me while on Matty's Wish Trip". Now I realize of course they are only my opinions but, perhaps, they may help one other person as they plan their upcoming trip.

1. A Wish Trip is just that.........a 'Wish Trip' and not just another 'family vacation'. It deserves to be extra extra EXTRA special. Embrace the 'button'. Wear it proudly. Flash that GAC and don't feel badly. They give Wish families these things for a reason. The majority of the staff WANT to make Wish trips extra special but they can't go out of their way unless Wish families make themselves known. That button is truly Magic. Let it work for you.

2. A Wish Trip is just that........a 'Wish Trip' and not just another 'family vacation'. It deserves to be a trip like no other. A trip that is unlike one's typical family Disney World vacation. It can be beneficial to think outside of the box. Be creative. The ability to take advantage of activities and adventures that might not be possible on one's typical vacation budget is what makes a Wish Trip a once in a lifetime experience. And don't forget GKTW. The Village and it's activities. Make time if possible. There are lifetime memories to be made there as well. And just being there is likely to give you goosebumps. It's what it represents. It, too, is magical.

3, A Wish Trip is just that......a 'Wish Trip' and not just another 'family vactaion'. It is likely to be a Trip that will change you. And it is just the beginning. We spent our last day at the GKTW Village, going back for a relaxing day of play after a very very busy week. Suprisingly, I found that I left that evening for the airport feeling uplifted, not sad as I had expected. Feeling like we were now part of an extended family and knowing that we would be back. We are actually now talking about planning a one year anniversary trip next December which will, of course, include one, or more, visits to GKTW (and perhaps even an afternoon or evening of volunteering for dh or myself). A Wish Trip is a once in a lifetime experience that deserves to be remembered and celebrated for years and years to come.

Of course I do realize that for some families just the ability to go on a family vacation is magic. I guess I just want to be sure people are aware that the potential exists for much more if they so desire.

Our trip was just amazing and extra extra special for Matty. I truly wish the same for all of you and your children.

Pamela:santa:

Matty's Wish Trip PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2325607

Matty's Wish Trip TR "Mom, Dad, 3 kids, and a Gingerbread Boy" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356739

:goodvibes

We spent our last day at the GKTW Village, going back for a relaxing day of play after a very very busy week. Suprisingly, I found that I left that evening for the airport feeling uplifted, not sad as I had expected. Feeling like we were now part of an extended family and knowing that we would be back. We are actually now talking about planning a one year anniversary trip next December which will, of course, include one, or more, visits to GKTW (and perhaps even an afternoon or evening of volunteering for dh or myself). [/url]

This is what our family is doing in Feb and we can't wait. We will almost be a year out from Jakes Wish trip, and we can't wait to volunteer two nights as a family...Jake is just so super excitied. I hope your family can do the same in next coming year, I am sure that experience in itself will be one to remember. Welcome home!!!

Hi all!

I have read some wonderful tips/advice so far -- thanks! We are planning my youngest daughter's wish trip to GKTW from 4/17 - 4/23. She is three and has leukemia (in active treatment, but in remission). She has a G-tube and some mobility/stamina problems (necrosis in her femur from her meds), but is doing well in general.

Question: we are planning on extending our stay and moving on to a WDW hotel after our stay at GKTW. I assume that we will have to return our rental car and rent a new one? Has anyone done this before, and can you tell us how this works?

We want to extend the stay because we don't want to feel compelled to spend most of each day at the parks when at GKTW. We really want to be able to relax and enjoy GKTW, so will probably just go to the parks in mornings, and spend the rest of the day at GKTW (that's pretty much what we did anyways when we went to WDW a long time ago with my two older daughters -- none of us had the stamina/desire to do more than spend the mornings in the parks!).

Also, if we extend our stay, my daughter will be due to have her blood counts checked and receive IV antibiotics. Where do you suggest we plan on going to do this?

Any advice would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Ann

Hi all!

First of all...:welcome: to the wish trippers thread!! :)

I have read some wonderful tips/advice so far -- thanks! We are planning my youngest daughter's wish trip to GKTW from 4/17 - 4/23. She is three and has leukemia (in active treatment, but in remission). She has a G-tube and some mobility/stamina problems (necrosis in her femur from her meds), but is doing well in general.

So glad this has helped you! Glad you are going on a wish trip - but so sorry that you qualify for one. :hug:

Question: we are planning on extending our stay and moving on to a WDW hotel after our stay at GKTW. I assume that we will have to return our rental car and rent a new one? Has anyone done this before, and can you tell us how this works?

I think that you would just go to the airport and return the rental car and then they would rent a different to you? I think this answer may vary from State to State, though...since each state handles those rental cars/trip extensions differently. :confused3 But I am interested to see what others say on this...because I have no idea!

We want to extend the stay because we don't want to feel compelled to spend most of each day at the parks when at GKTW. We really want to be able to relax and enjoy GKTW, so will probably just go to the parks in mornings, and spend the rest of the day at GKTW (that's pretty much what we did anyways when we went to WDW a long time ago with my two older daughters -- none of us had the stamina/desire to do more than spend the mornings in the parks!).

This is a great idea! Is your chapter one that allows extensions?

And mornings in the parks sound awesome! :)

Also, if we extend our stay, my daughter will be due to have her blood counts checked and receive IV antibiotics. Where do you suggest we plan on going to do this?

I would call GKTW about this. Their number is 800-995-KIDS. They have a list of doctor's offices and hospitals that they "recommend" for taking wish kids. Is it something you can do at a doctor's office? (I would think so...but some antibiotics require more monitoring, I guess?) If so...I believe there is an office that helps Wish Kids for "free" - I assume an insurance only type of arrangement? But GKTW will have the most recent info about that.

Thanks!

Ann

Again, :welcome: to the Wish Trippers thread!! :)

Are you going to start a pre-trip report? We would love to follow along with ya!

I made the move to the Wish Trippers part 3! I am back after a minor break for the holidays. I have updated Tyler's Wish Trip and only have one day left to do, which I will try to finish tomorrow! Welcome to all of the new Wish families! :grouphug:

Hi all!

Thanks!

Ann

First off...Welcome here...:cool1::cool1: I am so glad your little one will be getting her wish soon...:grouphug:

I think your plan sounds perfect. GKTW is AMAZING...words can not describe how wonderful this place is, from the people that and volunteer there and the people that work there. Plus the wonderful family's you meet there.

As for doing blood counts and IV antibotics....that is a tough one. My son wa on TPN during our trip and we had all his stuff sent down there ahead of time...but labs and such were drawn right before we left, and we did not extend our trip. There is really no medical personal on site, so my guess would be you would have to take her to the closest ER, with an order in hand and have both labs and anitbotic given. However for the antibotic, your HHC can send that down and you can give that when you need too, however the bloodwork is going to be a different story. We found our HHC was a HUGE help on making sure everything was in place before we left.

Does your daughter have a central line?

yup, she has a port. I'm thinking we may just have to count on an ER visit one afternoon the second week. Not the worst thing in the world, as we all know.

I have time to figure all this out, though. Hoping that the oncologists might just let us delay the IV antibiotics (they do have to be monitored by medical personnel because of possible adverse reactions) until we get back, but they are meant to prevent PCP pneumonia, so we'll see....

Our MAW chapter has told us that we can extend our trip, with the obvious agreement that we are completely on our own come 4/23 (check out from GKTW). We were hoping to avoid having to drive back to the airport to return the car and get a new one, but unless someone has done it some other way, I think we should probably just count on doing that too.

Question: Would we be absolutely insane not to use the Sea World and Universal tickets, and just go to Disney? As mentioned, we (as many of you) have been through absolute h*** since her diagnosis, and we just want to relax and enjoy the magical gift of some time at Disney and our time a GKTW. Although her sisters are older (10 and 12), my wish kid is 3 (will be turning 4 while there), and I just don't know that there is that much for her at Universal, for example.

Any thoughts?

Ann

yup, she has a port. I'm thinking we may just have to count on an ER visit one afternoon the second week. Not the worst thing in the world, as we all know.

I have time to figure all this out, though. Hoping that the oncologists might just let us delay the IV antibiotics (they do have to be monitored by medical personnel because of possible adverse reactions) until we get back, but they are meant to prevent PCP pneumonia, so we'll see....

Our MAW chapter has told us that we can extend our trip, with the obvious agreement that we are completely on our own come 4/23 (check out from GKTW). We were hoping to avoid having to drive back to the airport to return the car and get a new one, but unless someone has done it some other way, I think we should probably just count on doing that too.

Question: Would we be absolutely insane not to use the Sea World and Universal tickets, and just go to Disney? As mentioned, we (as many of you) have been through absolute h*** since her diagnosis, and we just want to relax and enjoy the magical gift of some time at Disney and our time a GKTW. Although her sisters are older (10 and 12), my wish kid is 3 (will be turning 4 while there), and I just don't know that there is that much for her at Universal, for example.

Any thoughts?

Ann

Just wanted to say that Islands of adventure at universal is amazing. We spent the day at seuss landing, from 9am-ish until 5ish.
There's tons of stuff to do there, maybe not a whole days worth, but at least a couple of hours. and sea world is awesome, but if your kiddo's aren't into animals much you might skip it? I loved the shows and feeding the dolphins, though. :confused3 (sea world & seuss landing were my favs- over disney!)

Hi Ann,

Congratulations on your wish trip:cool1:!! You sound just like us!! We are mostly just interested in Disney as well. We are actually staying at AKL as we didn't want to stay off site. Up until last week, we weren't even going to rent a car, but have since changed our minds for a couple of reasons. We are extending our trip by 5 days, so will have a total of 12 days in Orlando. Thats a looooong time. So given the fact that we would have 3 day PH passes to Disney, 2 days at US/IOA and a day at Sea World, we have changed our plans a bit.

As you said, we really want to RELAX!! Fortunately, we have done both Disney and US/IOA-Sea World before. We have stayed onsite and off site, so know what we really want to do. My kids are 8, 7, 6 and 3. My 3yr old is also our Wish Child......but the other kids have experienced the hell as well. So, having said that, we are going to have a car for the first 7 days of vacation and will utilize the US/IOA passes. My older kids did enjoy a few rides at these parks....they will not do the roller coasters, so we know that these will be short park days for us...therefore we will not totally exhaust ourselves doing this!! We did have a GAC at these parks and that alone was great and know all about how amazing the employees are at the parks......can't wait to see it on a Wish Trip. There are a few things here that Brigitte will enjoy as well, so it won't be a total bore for her. Your older kids will LOVE these parks....probably more so than Disney :scared1: !!

Also, taking some advice from Christine and Maroo, etc...we are going to spend some time at GKTW. They have said that there are a few things that are not to be missed!! So our plans are to go to Mayor Claytons Bday while my husband or I attend orientation the day we arrive. We will probably do dinner there as well that night. Our other must do during the week will be the Christmas party. We are excited about that and think the kids will LOVE it. We also want Brigitte to be able to place her star and for the kids to do their pillows etc. More likely than not, we will eat dinner there that night as well. We did not enjoy SW before, so we know that we will not be using those passes.

I totally understand the whole RELAXATION aspect. That is exactly what we want. We have done trips before and come home completely exhausted. Its not fun. It would be different if Brigitte were older, and her stamina was able to handle it, but we know that having to fit in MK, AK, DHS, Epcot, SW, US/IOA in 6 days would just be waaaaay to much for her......and us. It will be hot when we go, so we plan to spend ALOT of time by the pool. I can also say that when we went the first time (almost the same dates, but 3yrs ago) my kids enjoyed the parks, but wanted to swim all day! They were sometimes so upset that we were dragging them off to the parks again.

Good Luck planning!!!:banana:

Just thought I would let everyone know that Sloan got his packet in the mail from GKTW today!!! :yay:

Our trip is getting soooo close! So, does anyone know if/how the recent airline bomb threat changed airline security? I'm already figuring 2.5 hours for our morning flight down and 3.5 for our afternoon flight back, but I'm wondering if I need to figure in more time for security now.

Any thoughts?

Ann

My son has a port as well, so the antibotics might be worth doing while your there, something you do not need the ER for. Just a thought.

As for IA/US...with siblings that age, I say do it. You get an amazing "pass" so to speak that you will never be able to get unless you are with GKTW, and you can BOTH parks in one day and can easily skip the second day for sure.

Plus given your daughter is 3, she will LOVE GKTW...from the pool, to the candyland playground...she will be in heaven. Plus the older kids will be able to hang out "by themselves" at the video game room. So I think if you do IA/US for the older two in one day, the rest of the time you can have alot of downtime.

By the way when I saw you get a amazing pass, you literally walk up to the attended at the front of the line and they take you up the back to the ride ( and make sure they say they want the fron seats...:thumbsup2) and you are in and out of ride in 6 mins flat. And if you can only do two and two, than as soon as the first two come out, you take that second person and do the same thing. So for a ride that is 75 mins long, will take 10 mins total of a party of two and two...I still feel that US/IA are far more "magical" as far as waiting for rides and shows than Disney is ( don't get me wrong, Disney is great, but the other two parks were AWESOME)

As for Seaworld...we went just to to feed the dolphins...if it were up to me, I would have passed Seaworld altoghter...cause Hannah and Jake could not go on the big roller coasters they had there.

Just thought I would let everyone know that Sloan got his packet in the mail from GKTW today!!! :yay:

Our trip is getting soooo close! So, does anyone know if/how the recent airline bomb threat changed airline security? I'm already figuring 2.5 hours for our morning flight down and 3.5 for our afternoon flight back, but I'm wondering if I need to figure in more time for security now.

:cool1::cool1::cool1: How exciting...I remember when we got our packet from GKTW...I cried...:rotfl:

Can I ask when your trip is? I need to go thru so many PT's that I am sorry.

I hope it is not to crazy....but if your child needs certain medical stuff, I would have your HHC send it down before you get there.

We just got us set up that they are sending everything, from his needles to meds, cause I refuse to have anyone going thru our stuff...if you not taking medical stuff that they can hold you up for, than I would say 3 hours is a good time frame to be at the airport.

Soo happy for you..if you could post the PT thread I would so appericate it.

Thanks for the welcome back Maroo! I did not realize how much I missed the boards until I was back. Lucas came in and was watching over my shoulder and saw your picture and said oh there is Mary. Lucas' appointment went well. He is still tumor free. He is still have some pains in his back and legs and the doctor said that was still the lasting affects of the chemo. We go back in 3 months for another checkup.

Oh yes we have read Mattys' story. How wonderful!!!! It really made our day!

:cool1::cool1::cool1: How exciting...I remember when we got our packet from GKTW...I cried...:rotfl:

Can I ask when your trip is? I need to go thru so many PT's that I am sorry.

I hope it is not to crazy....but if your child needs certain medical stuff, I would have your HHC send it down before you get there.

We just got us set up that they are sending everything, from his needles to meds, cause I refuse to have anyone going thru our stuff...if you not taking medical stuff that they can hold you up for, than I would say 3 hours is a good time frame to be at the airport.

Soo happy for you..if you could post the PT thread I would so appericate it.

We're flying out January 23rd at 8am.

We've got a lot of stuff to take, but none of it too big. I think all of it will fit in a carry on. We have Cambell's special formula as well as Sloan's syringes, lancets, test stips, extra insulin, extra meter just in case. All of that is stuff we will need on the plane with us anyway. Yws, we will have an over abundance on the plane, but no sense in shipping it when they are going to have to go through part of it anyway.

We also have 2 large car seats we have to take that I'm pretty sure will not fit through x-ray. I'm hoping our double stroller will fit. I'm also anicipating a fir from Cambell when we take her out of the stroller to go through the metal detector as well as a fit from Sloan when he doesn't want to be put down to walk through it. So, with all of that being said, will 3 hours be enough or should we allott more time. FYI the airport we are flying out of us pretty slow in the mornings. I guess I'm more worried about our flight back.

ETA the link to our PTR.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2343521

There isn't much there right now. Hopefully things will calm down soon and I can add to it.

Any thoughts?

Ann

Ann, I was actually just thinking about this today too. I have emailed our MAW chapter and our wish granters to see if it is possible to do the rental from MCO(airport) on pick up day and then return it the day the wish trip is over at either the Dolphin or the Disney Care Care Center. Both of those places have Alamo/National onsite, so my guess is it would depend on if they were utilizing either of those companies. I had also read somewhere that one chapter gave a family the confirmation number and allowed them just to add the extra days onto the original rental. I will let you know how I make out!! It would be a real pain to have to go back to the airport and then have to find transportation back again!!

Ann, I was actually just thinking about this today too. I have emailed our MAW chapter and our wish granters to see if it is possible to do the rental from MCO(airport) on pick up day and then return it the day the wish trip is over at either the Dolphin or the Disney Care Care Center. Both of those places have Alamo/National onsite, so my guess is it would depend on if they were utilizing either of those companies. I had also read somewhere that one chapter gave a family the confirmation number and allowed them just to add the extra days onto the original rental. I will let you know how I make out!! It would be a real pain to have to go back to the airport and then have to find transportation back again!!

I'm sure part of it will depend on who the reservation is through. If you stay at GKTW, they will handle all those details. I have never been an airport greeter, but from what I heard in my Angel Training, they just have a bank of cars ready. You might be able to arrange with GKTW to have the rental company pick it up, or for an Angel to drive it back.

If you stay at GKTW, the wish organization will typically allow GKTW to take care of all the little details like that while they will plan the special stuff. At least this is how my chapter operates.

Any thoughts?

Ann

I would REALLY try to stay out of the ER. We spent a night there because Lauren got really sick...and they were nice, but it took forever.

But, when Lauren got so sick, I called GKTW and they gave me the name of two doctors offices where we could go FOR FREE to get her seen about...

At my office (oncology doctor's office) we would totally be able to infuse some antibiotics and allow you to avoid an ER visit...so maybe there is another doctors office or even a hospital outpatient clinic that can do it for you without having to wait for orders, etc from an ER doctor?

In Lauren's case, we knew she needed fluids QUICK and it was late at night, so we ended up in the ER - but if it had been William that got sick, we would have just taken him to the doctor the next day.

I might start by calling GKTW and see what providers they are working with...call them and see if you can get the orders sent before you even leave - that may save you hours and some money, too.

One of my biggest regrets in our trip planning was skipping Universal. We skipped it because Lauren was not interested in anything there...but they are so kind to wish families, that I wish we had taken one "short" day and gone.

For our trip I tried to plan a long day, then short day, then long day, then short... that way we could rest some.

For Sea World - unless your kids are scared of dolphins - I think it is a MUST DO for every Wish Family to go to the Dolphin area and feed the dolphins. Make sure they know you are a wish family and you get free fish and they will make SURE you get to feed the dolphins and give you some one on one time - usually.

Thanks for the welcome back Maroo! I did not realize how much I missed the boards until I was back. Lucas came in and was watching over my shoulder and saw your picture and said oh there is Mary. Lucas' appointment went well. He is still tumor free. He is still have some pains in his back and legs and the doctor said that was still the lasting affects of the chemo. We go back in 3 months for another checkup.

Oh yes we have read Mattys' story. How wonderful!!!! It really made our day!

Oh my gosh!!!!!

I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so afraid his pains were not good signs! But that is GREAT news!

:woohoo: :yay: :cool1: :cheer2: :woohoo: :yay: :dance3: :cheer2: :cool1:

Just wanted to say that Islands of adventure at universal is amazing. We spent the day at seuss landing, from 9am-ish until 5ish.
There's tons of stuff to do there, maybe not a whole days worth, but at least a couple of hours. and sea world is awesome, but if your kiddo's aren't into animals much you might skip it? I loved the shows and feeding the dolphins, though. :confused3 (sea world & seuss landing were my favs- over disney!)

Very good points! :)

Hi Ann,

Congratulations on your wish trip:cool1:!! You sound just like us!! We are mostly just interested in Disney as well. We are actually staying at AKL as we didn't want to stay off site. Up until last week, we weren't even going to rent a car, but have since changed our minds for a couple of reasons. We are extending our trip by 5 days, so will have a total of 12 days in Orlando. Thats a looooong time. So given the fact that we would have 3 day PH passes to Disney, 2 days at US/IOA and a day at Sea World, we have changed our plans a bit.

As you said, we really want to RELAX!! Fortunately, we have done both Disney and US/IOA-Sea World before. We have stayed onsite and off site, so know what we really want to do. My kids are 8, 7, 6 and 3. My 3yr old is also our Wish Child......but the other kids have experienced the hell as well. So, having said that, we are going to have a car for the first 7 days of vacation and will utilize the US/IOA passes. My older kids did enjoy a few rides at these parks....they will not do the roller coasters, so we know that these will be short park days for us...therefore we will not totally exhaust ourselves doing this!! We did have a GAC at these parks and that alone was great and know all about how amazing the employees are at the parks......can't wait to see it on a Wish Trip. There are a few things here that Brigitte will enjoy as well, so it won't be a total bore for her. Your older kids will LOVE these parks....probably more so than Disney :scared1: !!

Also, taking some advice from Christine and Maroo, etc...we are going to spend some time at GKTW. They have said that there are a few things that are not to be missed!! So our plans are to go to Mayor Claytons Bday while my husband or I attend orientation the day we arrive. We will probably do dinner there as well that night. Our other must do during the week will be the Christmas party. We are excited about that and think the kids will LOVE it. We also want Brigitte to be able to place her star and for the kids to do their pillows etc. More likely than not, we will eat dinner there that night as well. We did not enjoy SW before, so we know that we will not be using those passes.

I totally understand the whole RELAXATION aspect. That is exactly what we want. We have done trips before and come home completely exhausted. Its not fun. It would be different if Brigitte were older, and her stamina was able to handle it, but we know that having to fit in MK, AK, DHS, Epcot, SW, US/IOA in 6 days would just be waaaaay to much for her......and us. It will be hot when we go, so we plan to spend ALOT of time by the pool. I can also say that when we went the first time (almost the same dates, but 3yrs ago) my kids enjoyed the parks, but wanted to swim all day! They were sometimes so upset that we were dragging them off to the parks again.

Good Luck planning!!!:banana:

Have you guys already fed the dolphins at Sea World? And not with the mass of people - they let you do it sorta separate. It was worth a trip to Sea World for us. I literally got Lauren to go there just for that.

And GKTW has an AWESOME pool! (Is the pool at AKL going to be open when you go? I know they are going to refurb it?)

My son has a port as well, so the antibotics might be worth doing while your there, something you do not need the ER for. Just a thought.

As for IA/US...with siblings that age, I say do it. You get an amazing "pass" so to speak that you will never be able to get unless you are with GKTW, and you can BOTH parks in one day and can easily skip the second day for sure.

Plus given your daughter is 3, she will LOVE GKTW...from the pool, to the candyland playground...she will be in heaven. Plus the older kids will be able to hang out "by themselves" at the video game room. So I think if you do IA/US for the older two in one day, the rest of the time you can have alot of downtime.

By the way when I saw you get a amazing pass, you literally walk up to the attended at the front of the line and they take you up the back to the ride ( and make sure they say they want the fron seats...:thumbsup2) and you are in and out of ride in 6 mins flat. And if you can only do two and two, than as soon as the first two come out, you take that second person and do the same thing. So for a ride that is 75 mins long, will take 10 mins total of a party of two and two...I still feel that US/IA are far more "magical" as far as waiting for rides and shows than Disney is ( don't get me wrong, Disney is great, but the other two parks were AWESOME)

As for Seaworld...we went just to to feed the dolphins...if it were up to me, I would have passed Seaworld altoghter...cause Hannah and Jake could not go on the big roller coasters they had there.

:thumbsup2

I'm sure part of it will depend on who the reservation is through. If you stay at GKTW, they will handle all those details. I have never been an airport greeter, but from what I heard in my Angel Training, they just have a bank of cars ready. You might be able to arrange with GKTW to have the rental company pick it up, or for an Angel to drive it back.

If you stay at GKTW, the wish organization will typically allow GKTW to take care of all the little details like that while they will plan the special stuff. At least this is how my chapter operates.

I think this varies a lot state by state. In MS they took care of all of the details except where we slept - GKTW took care of that. They took care of our car "rental" - which we didn't rent a car, but they were the ones that set up all of those details and paid for it, etc.

I am back on the Wish Trip thread!!!!!!!!!! Mya is cured of her Cancer so how are we going to celebrate? By going to Disney of course!!! Ready to read some more trip reports and hopefully you guys will continue to follow me and Mya's story.

That's so wonderful!!! It's great to hear happy updates!

Hi all!

I recently got the details from our chapter on how we are supposed to handle our rental for the extended portion of our trip. They told us that we need to arrange our own rental, so on day 7 we have to return the first car and get a new one. When I find out which rental company they use I plan to check those rates, and call about possibly keeping the same vehicle under a different contract/bill. I did not think about locations for drop-off/pick-up because we will most likely be leaving Orlando after we get the new rental so no need to stay close to WDW.

It seems most everyone here at the moment has younger wish kids and feel the same way. The little bit I've read about Univ. and SW it seems like there is enough to make it worth the drive just to check out. We are going in April which may be hot, probably at least warm, and I read about all the fun little splash pads they each have. My kids are all about going out and doing things, regardless of what they are doing. I'm expecting them to love Disney days more than the others, but we've got the tickets, and unless we're all just pooped, why not try it out?

We also have 2 large car seats we have to take that I'm pretty sure will not fit through x-ray. I'm hoping our double stroller will fit.

Hmmm, that brings up a good question. Does anyone know off-hand what the car seat laws are for FL? And what about the car rental - has anyone had a vehicle with the built in child seats? Or able to rent one with the vehicle? My first choice would be to bring both of our own but that will definitely be difficult. Phoebe's is a large special needs model (she's 8 and it holds up to 100 lbs with a 5-point harness). She can sit okay in a car without one, but she falls asleep whenever we're driving and flops over.

Thanks, ladies.:goodvibes As I look at what I put together in terms of planning, I think I am most excited about MK, which will be a long day, and then AK, which will also be a long day since her wish technically is to go to the zoo. She still kills me with that one.:rotfl2: The rest of the week we have planned a half day here and a half day there with lots of rest time in between. You all provide nice reminders to keep in mind what this trip is really about. There are lots of things that I'd like to do because this is our first (and perhaps only) time going as a family, but it's not about that. So thanks for helping me to remember that!

Phoebe has very low energy as well. I am in shock that she makes it through her long school day, but she naps on the bus each direction and then makes up for it on the weekends and holidays. Today she slept in til noon (only Daddy can snuggle with her long enough for that!) and then was yawning at 5:30pm! I have thought about going back to the room as well, which some guide books highly recommend. If your kids can handle late nights, this might be a good option, because when you get back the parks will be cooler and you can enjoy all the nighttime shows. But check the park hours first. Some might not be open late that week. I also plan to check out the Wish lounges. Phoebe is most likely to fall asleep while we are moving and then perk up and get excited when we stop (figures!) but I'd like to try and rest for a little while, or at least get out of the heat (if it's hot) and have some quiet, non-stimulating time for her. I'm the only one whose ever been to Orlando in our family, and I can't say that we will ever go back. I'd love to of course, but we are much closer to D-land. Oh, and I got some ADRs before our dates were confirmed. I think it's very smart! If you end up getting April, PM me your email and I'll send you our current itinerary to compare notes.

Sue, thanks for the van info on my PTR. If DH gets a raise this coming year we will definitely be upgrading the car along with the chair. I may even come here looking for advice on the chair!

Maroo, thanks for organizing all the threads and keeping it in line. I have learned so much here and I know Phoebe's trip will be the better for it! Also, thanks for hijacking Pamela's TR to send some van tips my way. ;) Sometimes hijacking is a good thing.

So I'm feeling kind of nutty after wondering why no one was on the thread today...then remembered it had moved over here!

myasma..What wonderful news!! :banana: :banana: I am thrilled for you beyond words! :lovestruc

Wee Annie.. :welcome: I love it when a new family finds the thread! I hope you start a PTR, your family sounds great. And way hoping you can avoid the whole ER thing, I think Piper's stress level ramps up about fifty percent the minute we walk into a hospital!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter