Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FOUR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is the right place to post this! If not let me know and I can start my own thread.
This is a great place to post.
Also, he is older, going into 6th grade, but for long walks his little legs need a wheel chair. They have a big stroller (he is a small guy). If I understand correctly they can get a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag? Also, if they have the MAW button do they also need to get a GAC?

Thanks for all your information!! We're trying to help the mom prepare for this trip. I love the little boy so much I just want everything to be as wonderful as it can be!
The MAW button will be the visual cue so the CMs can see he is on a WISH trip, but the GAC is the documentation.
As was posted, he will get both at GKTW village (if that is where he stays) or it will be arranged for by MAW if he stays somewhere else.
The only wish lounges are at DW and Epcot. I believe all theme parks have First aide station if you need them.
All of the Theme Parks have First Aide stations that are free for anyone who needs them to use. They have individual rooms or cubicles where people can lie down, do stretching, do medical treatments. You can also store medical equipment at First Aid.

Got a good question for you wish trip vets or GKTW-savvy folks! Owensheart is planning to extend Owen's wish trip and Billwendy mentioned that there are other attractions/parks (a petting zoo, mini golf or Busch Gardens, maybe?) that GKTW can make arrangements to visit. Billwendy was wondering if there was a list somewhere on here of those 'extra' places. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about a wish kid receiving Medieval Times tix at a discounted rate during his trip....

Anyone know of others? Could be a helpful resource!

Thanks!

Got a good question for you wish trip vets or GKTW-savvy folks! Owensheart is planning to extend Owen's wish trip and Billwendy mentioned that there are other attractions/parks (a petting zoo, mini golf or Busch Gardens, maybe?) that GKTW can make arrangements to visit. Billwendy was wondering if there was a list somewhere on here of those 'extra' places. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about a wish kid receiving Medieval Times tix at a discounted rate during his trip....

Thanks!

Check page 3 in this link.....http://www.givekidstheworld.org/wgo/pdf/GKTW%20WGO%20Wish%20Vacation%20all.pdf

On another note...We are going HOME!!! :banana::rotfl::yay: Just waiting for the paperwork!!

Another quick question!!

I have only flown once (back in 1986!) and the youngest 2 have NEVER flown...Any good tips for the plane..I am so worried about it!!

AND ANOTHER....

In seeing some of the Big Gives I was wondering if there were any tutorials to make some of the things that were created...I would love to do some SIMPLE things for the children!!

Thanks!

I know someone already gave you the link with info about all the places available but you should also know that you can only use tickets for these extra places while you are at GKTW. The tickets they give you for Universal, Disney and Seaworld can be used past your stay at GKTW but you don't have the GKTW GAC after your stay...if you qualify you would need to get a new one. Hope that is clear and that it helps. Have a great day!

I know someone already gave you the link with info about all the places available but you should also know that you can only use tickets for these extra places while you are at GKTW. The tickets they give you for Universal, Disney and Seaworld can be used past your stay at GKTW but you don't have the GKTW GAC after your stay...if you qualify you would need to get a new one. Hope that is clear and that it helps. Have a great day!

Oooh! Good point. Thanks for clarifying for us!

I was just going to post this. Thanks to you I found out before we got there so we can change our plans. The only parks I would do after the wish trip is Universal parks. They are the ones that will extend the GAC.

Our Trip is sneaking up on us, and I haven't done any planning!
I have a couple of questions.
What will the weather be like? Will it be hot all the time or should we pack long pants and jackets too?
Which day is best for which park?
We are thinking of doing magic kingdom first since this is Lhea's main wish (seeing Tiana). But we will be flexible with this because it it important that it doesn't rain the day we go to MK. We want this to be an awesome day for her.
Also TNA is taping at universal on the 19 and 20. So the boys want to be there one of those days and I will play with the girls at the park.
This is what I'm thinking .... please give me suggestions.

Friday (april 15) arrive in orlando, explore GKTW and downtown disney
Sat - Magic Kingdom if the weather looks good
Sunday - Hollywood studios
Mon- Animal Kingdom AM, Epcot PM
Tue - Universal (either one)
Wed - the other Universal park
Thur - sea world

What do you think? is there certain parks I should go on a certain day?
MK is busiest on weekends, Epcot just the opposite because so many school groups do field trips there during the week.

We arrived at our main park of choice, on the fringe edge of a hurricane. It was POURING rain, so if you check out our trip thread you will see the first pictures of MK are in our rain ponchos (a MUST buy before you leave item). By the time we finished brunch in the castle it was sunny and lovely. The early rain had kept the locals away so it was a very quiet crowd. One thing to remember is that in Florida it often rains but seldom rains for long periods of time. It rained pretty much every day we were there, but usually for only an hour or less of HARD rain. We always had our ponchos with us and our crocs had no issues with getting wet and drying out as we walked. Both Universal Parks can be done in one day. Animal Kingdom in half a day is challenging if you like animals, shows or intense rides. Epcot in half a day is okay, but Disney Studios in half a day was pushing it. Choices, choices....

This is a GREAT place to post!

One thing I would need to know is who the wish trip is through??

Most wish trippers are kids that go through a wish granting organization like Make a Wish that only grants wishes to children with life threatening illness - most of those kids stay at GKTW.

Of that same group, a few families stay on Disney property if GKTW is full or if the wish was specific to stay at a certain resort.

There are other wish granting organizations that grant wishes to chronically ill children that are not through GKTW - and those are great wishes, too - but the answers to your questions vary depending on which type of wish it is, if that makes any sense....

Assuming he is staying at GKTW - here are my answers... :)

- They will get a GAC card and the magic button when they do orientation at GKTW.
- They will need to go to Guest Services to get the "stroller as a wheelchair" tag.

- TRAINS! GKTW has amazing trains! He will get to ride in a "real" one and even drive it

This is William (Lauren's brother) as the conductor on the train at GKTW.
IMG_3196.jpg

They also have this amazing train village at GKTW - has a ton of miniature trains that go around...and it is hard to explain here, but it was one of my favorite things at GKTW. (And that is saying a LOT!)

There may also be a tour at the Magic Kingdom where he can learn more about the real steam trains they have at the Magic Kingdom...not sure of his age or the age you have to be these days to do the train tour, but that may be worth checking out for him.

GKTW is AMAZING and I think most families really enjoy staying there. You get a full villa instead of a regular room. And you get preferred parking, so in a lot of cases, even with the drive, it is about the same amount of time as it would take you to get from a standard resort - and even if it is longer, it is SOOOOOO worth it!

It would be cool, if you want, to do a pre-trip report for him! :) It would be fun to watch the planning! :) I did one for Lauren and it was fun.

Thank you for the info! He is going with MAW.

Even though his wish is to go to Disney and ride the train at the Magic Kingdom, he would probably be just as happy riding that train all day!

My sister is still pretty sold on the fact that they should try and stay on Disney property, but I think GKTW will be the way to go. They're going at a slow time, so park hours won't be too late and I don't foresee them coming back for a nap and then heading back to the parks. I think it would be nice for them to enjoy the events at GKTW if the parks overwhelm him.

I'm not sure of his diagnosis, but physically he is small for his age and mentally he is about the same as a 3 year old but will be 11 or 12 this year. But...lord does he know how to work me! He knows how to find the most expensive Thomas the Train toy in the store because he knows I can't say no! Lord help me with my own son who will be here soon!

Thank you for the info! He is going with MAW.

Even though his wish is to go to Disney and ride the train at the Magic Kingdom, he would probably be just as happy riding that train all day!

My sister is still pretty sold on the fact that they should try and stay on Disney property, but I think GKTW will be the way to go. They're going at a slow time, so park hours won't be too late and I don't foresee them coming back for a nap and then heading back to the parks. I think it would be nice for them to enjoy the events at GKTW if the parks overwhelm him.

I'm not sure of his diagnosis, but physically he is small for his age and mentally he is about the same as a 3 year old but will be 11 or 12 this year. But...lord does he know how to work me! He knows how to find the most expensive Thomas the Train toy in the store because he knows I can't say no! Lord help me with my own son who will be here soon!
If he does need a nap or just to lie down during the day, each park has a First Aid center with cots in individual cubicles or rooms.
They are free of charge, open whenever the park is, cool, quiet and the staff are very nice and understanding.
I was just going to post this. Thanks to you I found out before we got there so we can change our plans. The only parks I would do after the wish trip is Universal parks. They are the ones that will extend the GAC.
WDW will not extend the same exact GAC, but you can still get a Guest Assistance Card that would be helpful if you want to go to WDW after your trip is officially over. Just go to Guest Relations in any park to discuses your child’s needs.

You all are full of great advice! Thanks so much for helping me plan!

Ok I need to make a packing list. But I don't want to over pack. I know I read that GKTW supplies things like laundry detergent. But how about things like a bar of soap? Do they have little toiletries like hotels do? Should I go ahead and pack those?
Any other packing advice?

10 days!!!!!

Bill_Lin
We are definately bringing ponchos (Thank You Big Give). So if it does rain a lot we will be ok. That is good advice about morning rain scaring some of the crowd off.

Maroo .... I have NO plans and NO must do list!!!! UUGGGG!!!!!! I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

What we do know is that we will only have 3 days to do all 4 disney parks. For us I think we most look forward to magic kingdom. In 2003 My husband and I took the oldest 2 kids to disney. Our favorites were definately magic kingdom and Hollywood studios (It was MGM then). I was surprised how much the kids loved MGM. At epcot we probably won't do any of the world showcase stuff. I can't imagine the little kids enjoying it (and it just isn't something that we would do with limited time there). I think everyone will enjoy animal kingdom but something has to split the day with Epcot. I was thinking I heard that there is a night time fireworks show that is great at epcot so we will do that in the evening.

No one has been to universal but we do have 2 days to go there. And the boys want to see TNA one evening there. Which I am fine with (I think a husband/wife couple of hours break during this week just may be beneficial ;) ) No one has ever been to sea world either so with our plane leaving at 9 pm I think we will have plenty of time to go on the last day.

That reminds me .... you may remember that our youngest 3 children were adopted out of special needs foster care. And 3 of our children are ADHD and 2 also have some emotional problems. Other than taking frequent breaks, trying to get enough sleep and packing extra snacks do you guys have any suggestions of things you did to prevent the fighting, temper tantrums and emotional outbursts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter