Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FOUR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw that the Ellen Degeneres show is taping in Universal this weekend...I wounder if any one from here saw her. LOL

oh dear...i feel really embarassed. it looks like i have not found exactly the right place to post about evan's trip..i did not realize that this thread was pretty specifically GKTW. but i really appreciate all you kind words and help. evan's condition is not life threatening. it is chronic, and difficult, but certainly not as tough as some of the things that folks on this thread are facing. i may try to start a sunshine foundation thread under disAbilities:) and for any of you who were reading our PRT and upcoming TR, i will keep posting there!:love:
I hope you will keep posting on this thread. Lots of families here do not stay at GKTW, though the majority do. Many stay at Disney Hotels, Nickelodeon, etc.

Adding information and trips to Sunshine Village will only enrich the thread. You are totally welcome. I helped found the original thread here and would love to see you stay.

Bill

So we decided not to let anyone rain on our parade and are forging ahead....Some more questions

1. Good bag for carrying around everything? I was thinking the diaper bag (yes we still use one BUT ours has a flap over front and no zipper and it cannot attach to the stroller well) Then thought back pack but again I am stuck carrying it all day!

2. Good place to get some Disney tops....We do not have a Disney store or Disney outlet here...I am goping to try to get to the outlet in Long Island when I go down for Easter BUT you never know if I have the time...Our Kmart had some things but they were sets and the bottoms would not work for Eva

3. Are the children allowed to use swimmies in the pool?

That is all I can recall at this time

Pop over to our PTR and see Eva with her Woody and Buzz...
It is important to take as little as possible in your bags so you will be able to take treasures back home. You will find out what that means.

Pick up Disney shirts at Wal-Mart in Kissimmee or at the Indoor Flea Market. I was blown away, when I stopped by Wal-Mart for tylenol and found a huge section of Disney only stuff; shirts, stuffed toys, bags, key chains, water bottles... you name it.world map

For those of you on MAW trips, I was told by our wish granter that we would get an expense check to help us on this trip.

Is this check to cover food in the parks or is that already covered?

Still just trying to figure out how much we need to save up for this once-in-a-lifetime trip :)

Just a quick Hello...We are off to Syracuse to the hospital with Eva...all is written in the PTR!!! Will check back when I can:love:

I hope you will keep posting on this thread. Lots of families here do not stay at GKTW, though the majority do. Many stay at Disney Hotels, Nickelodeon, etc.

Adding information and trips to Sunshine Village will only enrich the thread. You are totally welcome. I helped found the original thread here and would love to see you stay.

Bill
Agree with Bill. ::yes::

Although many of the people posting on this thread stay at Give Kids the World Village, this thread is about Wish trips in general.
So, information from people staying at different places or on Wish trips from places other than Make a Wish are all welcome (and very helpful).
It is important to take as little as possible in your bags so you will be able to take treasures back home. You will find out what that means.

Pick up Disney shirts at Wal-Mart in Kissimmee or at the Indoor Flea Market. I was blown away, when I stopped by Wal-Mart for tylenol and found a huge section of Disney only stuff; shirts, stuffed toys, bags, key chains, water bottles... you name it.world map
I second that. The Disney area at Walmart has a HUGE amount of stuff. Everything from pens and key chains to dishes, pajamas and tee shirts. I estimate the area must be about 15-20 feet deep and 30-40 feet wide.

I hope this is the right place to post this! If not let me know and I can start my own thread.

My sister will be going on a wish trip next February with the little boy she babysits and his mom. We're big Disney people so she is trying to help them plan. Originally we thought a Disney resort would be great for them, but I've read some trip reports and GKTW seems amazing. I think he would really like it there.

I don't know anything about wish trips, and I have no idea where they are in the planning process. Can you request to stay at GKTW? Also, I know where it is and it's a bit of a drive. It looks so great in the pictures though. I'm wondering if because it is so wonderful it makes the drive back and forth each day worth it?

He LOVES trains and I read there is a train section. Ones he can play with? One he can ride maybe?

Also he LOVES playgrounds, not so much swinging and sliding, but just running around. The playground there looks amazing.

I'm thinking all the amenities and the size of the villas is worth it.

Also, he is older, going into 6th grade, but for long walks his little legs need a wheel chair. They have a big stroller (he is a small guy). If I understand correctly they can get a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag? Also, if they have the MAW button do they also need to get a GAC?

Thanks for all your information!! We're trying to help the mom prepare for this trip. I love the little boy so much I just want everything to be as wonderful as it can be!

For family that love this group on Nick channel

Big Time Rush
Live at Universal Studios®
Come enjoy a special LIVE performance by Big Time Rush at Universal Studios Florida®, Saturday, May 14th at 7 pm. Enjoy a day of thrills and excitement in the park, then preview a new episode of Nickelodeon's hit show Big Time Rush before it airs on national TV AND see the group perform live!

I hope this is the right place to post this! If not let me know and I can start my own thread.

My sister will be going on a wish trip next February with the little boy she babysits and his mom. We're big Disney people so she is trying to help them plan. Originally we thought a Disney resort would be great for them, but I've read some trip reports and GKTW seems amazing. I think he would really like it there.

I don't know anything about wish trips, and I have no idea where they are in the planning process. Can you request to stay at GKTW? Also, I know where it is and it's a bit of a drive. It looks so great in the pictures though. I'm wondering if because it is so wonderful it makes the drive back and forth each day worth it?

He LOVES trains and I read there is a train section. Ones he can play with? One he can ride maybe?

Also he LOVES playgrounds, not so much swinging and sliding, but just running around. The playground there looks amazing.

Also, he is older, going into 6th grade, but for long walks his little legs need a wheel chair. They have a big stroller (he is a small guy). If I understand correctly they can get a "stroller as a wheelchair" tag? Also, if they have the MAW button do they also need to get a GAC?

Thanks for all your information!! We're trying to help the mom prepare for this trip. I love the little boy so much I just want everything to be as wonderful as it can be!

This is the right place to come.. this weekend is a little slow here on the boards... I think he would love GKTW! and I would think the drive is worth it!

They can get a stroller as wheel chair...no problem... and GKTW issues the GAC and most wear both! In regards to requesting GKTW , he sure oculd request it... Most wish org have it set up to send kids there and usually they ahve to request to be on property...at least this is what I have read from all the posts here....

Plus GKTW can only be enjoyed by wish families, so this would be a once in a lifetime place to stay for most. The Ambervill train station would be great for him too. I hope more people can answer questions for you... I know they can... keep posting!

For those of you on MAW trips, I was told by our wish granter that we would get an expense check to help us on this trip.

Still just trying to figure out how much we need to save up for this once-in-a-lifetime trip :)

The expense check is for all food that is not eaten at GKTW, souvenirs, and luggage fees...if your plane charges MAW families.

Come and Check out what is so cool(Big Gives)
100_0124.jpg

Our Trip is sneaking up on us, and I haven't done any planning!
I have a couple of questions.
What will the weather be like? Will it be hot all the time or should we pack long pants and jackets too?
Which day is best for which park?
We are thinking of doing magic kingdom first since this is Lhea's main wish (seeing Tiana). But we will be flexible with this because it it important that it doesn't rain the day we go to MK. We want this to be an awesome day for her.
Also TNA is taping at universal on the 19 and 20. So the boys want to be there one of those days and I will play with the girls at the park.
This is what I'm thinking .... please give me suggestions.

Friday (april 15) arrive in orlando, explore GKTW and downtown disney
Sat - Magic Kingdom if the weather looks good
Sunday - Hollywood studios
Mon- Animal Kingdom AM, Epcot PM
Tue - Universal (either one)
Wed - the other Universal park
Thur - sea world

What do you think? is there certain parks I should go on a certain day?

We really watched accuweather closely. You can type in Kissimmee. It gives you the updates 15 days ahead. Keep a eye on it and you will know what to bring.
No idea's what days to tell you to go where, but I think your plan looks good to me.

What will the weather be like? Will it be hot all the time or should we pack long pants and jackets too?
We are thinking of doing magic kingdom first since this is Lhea's main wish (seeing Tiana). But we will be flexible with this because it it important that it doesn't rain the day we go to MK. We want this to be an awesome day for her.
Also TNA is taping at universal on the 19 and 20. So the boys want to be there one of those days and I will play with the girls at the park.

Thur - sea world

You guys are just going to have so much FUN!!! I was there exactly at this time last year. you Will have your magic button, but on the weekends it was PACKED and just hard to maneuver around. I think I'd try to do MK on a weekday vs weekend, but maybe thats just me!!:cutie: Have so mUCH FUN!!!!:woohoo:

Thur - sea world

I can't believe your trip is so close. You won't know the weather until it gets a little bit closer. We brought light jackets but never worn them. Everyone brought 2-3 shorts/capri and 2 pants.

I would do you MK on a weekday. Even though you have the magic button..it only gets you to the fast pass line. We still had to wait 30 min for alot of rides, but better than 90min. The characters you do get front of line. Universal park would be great on the weekend as they are better about lines. You really do get front of the line. They usually take you backstage and get you on the very next ride. Sea World is great on the Thursday so you can be back for the holiday party at GKTW. This is just my 2cent though.

Food in the parks isn't free, even for wish families - we wish, right! :) Of course, you can eat a little cheaper by eating at the counter service places rather than the sit down places.

If you are doing a character meal, to save some cash I would shoot for a breakfast or lunch. :thumbsup2

You expense check goes for luggage fees (some airlines will waive these), gas for the rental car (and you might want to tuck some money away to fill up that last day before you get to the airport. :)), food in the parks, souvies, and any special ticketed events or make over type things.

I would save as much as you can and bring it...and then you will have it if you need it and can save it if you don't. :)

Also, does anyone know if Universal Islands of Adventure have a lounge similar to the Wish Lounge?

(regarding my Harry Potter post here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=40576763#post40576763)

Not that I know of...but this could change?

This is a GREAT place to post!

One thing I would need to know is who the wish trip is through??

Most wish trippers are kids that go through a wish granting organization like Make a Wish that only grants wishes to children with life threatening illness - most of those kids stay at GKTW.

Of that same group, a few families stay on Disney property if GKTW is full or if the wish was specific to stay at a certain resort.

There are other wish granting organizations that grant wishes to chronically ill children that are not through GKTW - and those are great wishes, too - but the answers to your questions vary depending on which type of wish it is, if that makes any sense....

Assuming he is staying at GKTW - here are my answers... :)

- They will get a GAC card and the magic button when they do orientation at GKTW.
- They will need to go to Guest Services to get the "stroller as a wheelchair" tag.

- TRAINS! GKTW has amazing trains! He will get to ride in a "real" one and even drive it

This is William (Lauren's brother) as the conductor on the train at GKTW.
IMG_3196.jpg

They also have this amazing train village at GKTW - has a ton of miniature trains that go around...and it is hard to explain here, but it was one of my favorite things at GKTW. (And that is saying a LOT!)

There may also be a tour at the Magic Kingdom where he can learn more about the real steam trains they have at the Magic Kingdom...not sure of his age or the age you have to be these days to do the train tour, but that may be worth checking out for him.

GKTW is AMAZING and I think most families really enjoy staying there. You get a full villa instead of a regular room. And you get preferred parking, so in a lot of cases, even with the drive, it is about the same amount of time as it would take you to get from a standard resort - and even if it is longer, it is SOOOOOO worth it!

It would be cool, if you want, to do a pre-trip report for him! :) It would be fun to watch the planning! :) I did one for Lauren and it was fun.

Thur - sea world

You are there for a crowded week...but it is completely doable! You will have the button, which basically gives you the best Fast Pass!

MK is GREAT for Saturday. It is only going to get busier as the week wears on (as you get closer to Easter crowds). Plus many families are still traveling on Saturday, so not as many in the parks. Touringplans has that particular Saturday as a "best park" for the MK - so if it isn't bad weather, I would definitely do MK on Saturday.

Sunday is a good day for Hollywood Studios.

Mon - I do think it is a good idea to get all of the Disney parks out of the way early in the week...because I think the crowds will build as the week goes on. My only concern about Monday is that AK has early Extra Magic Hours...so you will be there with more people than you might ordinarily. But, it shouldn't be a big deal...just get there a bit early for any shows you might want to see... What is on your "to do" list at the AK?

This is one day where it will be important to get to the parks early - at least by rope drop. One option is to go to Epcot first this day...you could do Future World early and then go to the World Showcase when it first opens at 11 AM (and it isn't as busy) and then head to the AK for the afternoon, evening...but the AK closes at 7 PM, so that may not work?? Depends on what you have on your "list" do to at each of the parks. If you want to post a list here of what you are planning, I can help think through it with ya. :)

The rest looks great! I usually think that you should split up the Disney days...but I like that you did them at the beginning...so when the Disney crowds show up, you will be at Universal and Sea World. :) Plus...if the weather or something happens then you can just move one day around and won't miss any Disney days. :)

We really watched accuweather closely. You can type in Kissimmee. It gives you the updates 15 days ahead. Keep a eye on it and you will know what to bring.
No idea's what days to tell you to go where, but I think your plan looks good to me.

This is great advice! Don't get too worried, though, about the 15 days out...it is great to start watching it that far out...but it will change, maybe drastically, until you leave...about a week out, you should have a really good idea of what it looks like for weather. :)

I can't believe your trip is so close. You won't know the weather until it gets a little bit closer. We brought light jackets but never worn them. Everyone brought 2-3 shorts/capri and 2 pants.

I would do you MK on a weekday. Even though you have the magic button..it only gets you to the fast pass line. We still had to wait 30 min for alot of rides, but better than 90min. The characters you do get front of line. Universal park would be great on the weekend as they are better about lines. You really do get front of the line. They usually take you backstage and get you on the very next ride. Sea World is great on the Thursday so you can be back for the holiday party at GKTW. This is just my 2cent though.

I would think she will have about the same crowd level we had...it was CROWDED the week we were there! :faint:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter