Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FOUR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are scheduled for GKTW June 8-14. We are driving over from Louisiana and will probably arrive in Orlando late on the 7th, find a hotel then go over to GKTW early on the 8th for the early orientation. I'm aware that our room may not be ready and that's fine with us, we will just go hit a park or play around at GKTW until later in the day.

What is the closest hotel? Thanks!!

Bummer - we were hoping the ones Ellen made for you would work!:guilty:

Wendy... We use the ones that Ellen made everyday. This was before we got the special made ones. You will see all her back packs in the pictures I will soon be posting. I can't say thanks enough for those awesome back packs.

We are scheduled for GKTW June 8-14. We are driving over from Louisiana and will probably arrive in Orlando late on the 7th, find a hotel then go over to GKTW early on the 8th for the early orientation. I'm aware that our room may not be ready and that's fine with us, we will just go hit a park or play around at GKTW until later in the day.

Howard Johnson Inn Tropical Palms Kissimmee is 1.2 miles from GKTW and definitely the closest.

Wendy... We use the ones that Ellen made everyday. This was before we got the special made ones. You will see all her back packs in the pictures I will soon be posting. I can't say thanks enough for those awesome back packs.

Thats AWESOME!!!! Im so glad - they were just ADORABLE!!! I cant wait to see all your pictures!!! I thought of you guys alot while you were away!!!!!:goodvibes

I got a call from our MAW volunteer, and there was a minor change in the dates.

Instead of 4/23 to 4/29, we are going down for 4/24 to 4/30.

HOWEVER, she offered us a late evening flight on the 23rd (which would bring us in around 12:30 am) so that we can spend all day on 4/24 there instead of flying in late night on 4/24!

This flight would be MUCH better for Hannah because she will likely sleep since it would be early evening for us, and we can all sleep in on the 24th (a mom can dream)! We probably will just stay at GKTW that day, relax, play, and explore there and get ready for Disney on the 25th! That gives us FIVE full days of WDW/Univ/SW fun before we have to leave :)(

You are coming the day we are going! Sounds like great dates!

I thought I read somewhere here that there was a thread containing a list of suggested packing items (or things to purchase before your trip), but I can't seem to find it! Anyone know where I could find that list?

Thanks in advance!
Check out this link at GKTW.ORG
http://gktw.org/pre/faq/faq.asp?p=faq#general4
You will need to bring VERY little with you. Even an extra bag to bring souvenirs etc. back with you can be purchased at a good price from either Wal-Mart or the indoor Flea Market across from Wal-Mart and two blocks east.

I got a call from our MAW volunteer, and there was a minor change in the dates.

Instead of 4/23 to 4/29, we are going down for 4/24 to 4/30.

HOWEVER, she offered us a late evening flight on the 23rd (which would bring us in around 12:30 am) so that we can spend all day on 4/24 there instead of flying in late night on 4/24!

This flight would be MUCH better for Hannah because she will likely sleep since it would be early evening for us, and we can all sleep in on the 24th (a mom can dream)! We probably will just stay at GKTW that day, relax, play, and explore there and get ready for Disney on the 25th! That gives us FIVE full days of WDW/Univ/SW fun before we have to leave :)(
It may be hard to convince kids to WAIT a day to visit the theme parks since they will be SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to be in the world of magic. There is plenty to do at the Village so it might be wise to jump into exploring all the activities of the village right after breakfast. Another option would be to save your slow day at the village for the middle of the trip to recover from theme park exhaustion (a real phenomenon, though I think of it with a smile). You will have to go to orientation mid morning to get your them park tickets.

Make sure to make hotel reservations

This may sound like I'm being picky but I am hoping that this will help me be prepared. How are the beds at GKTW? Are they soft and comfy or will we be looking forward to getting back to our own beds? Also I am planning on a vacation from my diet while we are there but I don't want to way overdo it (icecream and pizza are major weaknesses for me) Does GKTW have salads? or other healthy food choices everyday? Do you control the air condition in your villa? And of course the million dollar question :rolleyes1 .... how's the toilet paper? Should we stop by walmart and pick some up or is it atleast average? :confused3 I feel like I'm being petty but I think I have stayed in many really cheap hotels so I have had some bad experiences so I like to be prepared. Thanks for any info you can give me.
We had plenty of healthy options at the Gingerbread House. I also found fruit in lieu of goodies at various theme parks.

I'm glad to hear that the CM stepped in to quell the scenario. I've been wondering about how other people would react when wish kids and their families skip ahead lines or rides or are given any kind of 'special' treatment. I think most people would be understanding and accepting of the situation, but there is always someone who needs to act like a child!

I can only imagine how annoyed your dad would have been! :)

We ran into only ONE family who objected to our privileges and they were from Germany and might not have understood the cultural difference. I actually understood their point of view since they had waited in line to see Jasmine and Genie, then had to come back later because of break time for the characters. Actually, we found many people who gave us special smiles and encouragement. :rolleyes:

If you ever run into what my friend faced on their trip, someone saying "I sure wish I could have that privilege," you can say what she said. "You would not wish for that if you knew what my child had to go through in hospitals to get this privilege." :confused3

:banana::banana:

You are going to get there the day after I leave :guilty:

Bummer I would have loved to meet you :flower3:

HeatherSP
Sorry our bed was not comfy at all but we got brand new villa (open only 3 weeks) I just took one of the extra blankets and put that under the sheet and it was way better :rolleyes1
Food wise I don't remember we are not great eaters here sorry.
We didn't deal with the A/C because it was Feb.
I don't think the TP was bad at all ;)

We ran into only ONE family who objected to our privileges and they were from Germany and might not have understood the cultural difference. I actually understood their point of view since they had waited in line to see Jasmine and Genie, then had to come back later because of break time for the characters. Actually, we found many people who gave us special smiles and encouragement. :rolleyes:

If you ever run into what my friend faced on their trip, someone saying "I sure wish I could have that privilege," you can say what she said. "You would not wish for that if you knew what my child had to go through in hospitals to get this privilege." :confused3

I agree..

Glad to hear most people were encouraging and understanding! Especially since a person never knows the story behind another person or his or her's situation. I've always tried to behave that way and am trying to teach my children to do the same. Still had me wondering though--especially as B doesn't look overtly 'ill'--besides the shaved head (which some people either think is a personal choice or that she is a boy! LOL!! As if she could ever be!) and some scars, no one would be able to tell what trials she faced this year.

Love that response. I will definitely use it should anyone question the privilege! (But, from the response here--the questions are minimal. :). Thanks again!

I would gladly stand in hour long lines in 100 degree heat if I could change Hannah's condition...

Glad to hear most people were encouraging and understanding! Especially since a person never knows the story behind another person or his or her's situation. I've always tried to behave that way and am trying to teach my children to do the same. Still had me wondering though--especially as B doesn't look overtly 'ill'--besides the shaved head (which some people either think is a personal choice or that she is a boy! LOL!! As if she could ever be!) and some scars, no one would be able to tell what trials she faced this year.

Love that response. I will definitely use it should anyone question the privilege! (But, from the response here--the questions are minimal. :). Thanks again!

My daughter the same way.. If you look at her on bad day, you would just think she haves a bad cold/flu. If you ask her why she haves a scar she said(We have no clue where she learn this) "my dad took my heart" She tell people that she was in the hospital and sick cuz of her heart and if they ask why she says "my dad took my heart and she doesn't have a reg heart anymore".. Are big problem right now is she doesn't understand why sissy doesn't have a scar like her. When she was baby you would just think she was a very very small baby(8lb 8oz at 5months old,born 8lb 3oz) My dh and I are worry that people will look at us and say why...

I am new to the board and I do not fully understand the concept. However, I thought this forum would be a great resource so I am making an attempt.:) We received a call on Monday that my daughter was going to get a wish from Make a Wish. We were surprised as she was referred in October by her teacher and we did not hear anything else and then received the call on Monday that she is going to get a wish. She is to determine a wish. When I told her about it on Monday she ended up getting a migraine(she has an inoperable, unradiatable benign brain tumor) and went to bed. Tuesday she woke up stating "I want to go see Lilo and stitch at Lilo's house". She also state she wanted a few days on a cruise (no surprise, been asking for this for a couple years) and a few days at Disney world. Is this even possible?

Thanks for any information you provide.

Savanna
Mom to 4
Adrianna (11), Caleb (10), DeAnna (8 - getting the wish) and Levi (3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter