Magic Kingdom? I Think I Know My Way Around Magic Kingdom! WDW January 2023 TR **COMPLETE** 9/4 x4

Day 7 Continued: Friday January 27th

Pete’s Silly Sideshow had reopened just in time for our trip! It showed Donald & Goofy only had a 20 min wait, and although we had already met Goofy, we hadn’t seen Donald yet, so we headed over there to meet them.

IMG_6102 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0142 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6103 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6106 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Goofy complimented her makeover!

IMG_6109 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6112 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6114 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

And he thought the shoulder pets on DS’s hat were very humorous.

IMG_6116 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6119 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6122 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6129 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6125 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Donald was also very complimentary of DD’s princess look!

We met up with everyone to use our Winnie the Pooh LL, and booked the next one for Pirates of the Caribbean for 12:55 so we could use it after lunch and the 12 pm Festival of Fantasy parade.

IMG_6149 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6150 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0160 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6152 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0161 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6154 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6155 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6158 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6163 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6168 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6172 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6175 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6177 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6178 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6184 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6186 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6188 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0164 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We split up again because they didn’t want to join us to watch the parade. DH and I did a mobile order at Casey’s Corner, thinking that would be the perfect way to find a parade spot and enjoy lunch while waiting and watching. We walked over to Main Street and found a front row spot on the curb for the stroller right next to Casey’s and between a trash can and a walkway so we wouldn’t have people pressed in tightly around us and worming their way in front. People certainly tried by getting in front of the trash can and obstructing DD’s view, but the CM made them move and then told us, “Don’t worry, I’ve got you!”

IMG_6193 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6195 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

A Photopass photographer was walking the parade route with signs for people to take photos with, and DD was game!

When I got the notification that our order was ready, I went into Casey’s and the mobile pick up area was just as mobbed as the rest of the restaurant. The people next to me seemed to be having an issue because they had ordered several orders of corn dog nuggets but couldn’t get them for whatever reason, so when the manager came over and started offering them several hot dogs as a replacement, I called DH really quickly to make sure he was ok with that because he had wanted corn dog nuggets too and it seemed like they were out or something. Oh, I wish that had been the issue.

Once I was finally able to show someone my order number, she said she was going to have the manager come talk to me. The manager explained that their fryers had just broken so instead of French fries she was going to give me bags of potato chips. I told her I didn’t feel that was adequate for the price of the meals, and she made a comment about chips being “Very expensive at Disney.” Eh, still not good enough for me! So she said she could cancel our meal and refund us instead, so I went for that.

I got back to the stroller and explained to everyone what had happened, and said I’d take the popcorn bucket over to get a refill to hold us over and we could order lunch from somewhere else for after the parade. DD ate some of her cotton candy while waiting for me.

IMG_6197 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I got all the way over to the cart by Liberty Square before realizing they didn’t have popcorn there, and by then, I just wanted SOMETHING to go back with so I got a big pretzel and the bear claw churros we had noticed earlier in the trip to go back with and share.

IMG_6201 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The churros were super messy but delicious! They held us over for lunch, which we ended up ordering from Friar’s Nook for after the parade, and enjoyed Festival of Fantasy, which we hadn’t seen for a very long time!

so instead of French fries she was going to give me bags of potato chips. I told her I didn’t feel that was adequate for the price of the meals, and she made a comment about chips being “Very expensive at Disney.” Eh, still not good enough for me! So she said she could cancel our meal and refund us instead, so I went for that.
Just wow! A small bag of ships instead? I would have gone for the refund as well. Better options out there when its all so pricey! And really hard for Mom to return with no food- been in those shoes a time or two as the desperation begins to set in. The churros look like a great save! 😉 Love your pictures- great report. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Just wow! A small bag of ships instead? I would have gone for the refund as well. Better options out there when its all so pricey! And really hard for Mom to return with no food- been in those shoes a time or two as the desperation begins to set in. The churros look like a great save! 😉 Love your pictures- great report. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Exactly!! I get it, fryers aren’t working, but that was not an adequate substitution for the price. I could tell they were struggling because the place was packed so the refund was easier than trying to negotiate something else. Thank goodness for those churros!!

Thanks for reading!

It seems like you got so much accomplished by lunch time! Your DD looks so happy touring the park as a Princess pixiedust: No corn dog nuggets AND fries - um, no. Other than that, your day seems pretty perfect. You coordinate so well as a group -that's not always easy to do. Anxious to hear about the rest of your day!

It seems like you got so much accomplished by lunch time! Your DD looks so happy touring the park as a Princess pixiedust: No corn dog nuggets AND fries - um, no. Other than that, your day seems pretty perfect. You coordinate so well as a group -that's not always easy to do. Anxious to hear about the rest of your day!
It was a really great morning, and DD absolutely loved being a princess all day!

Whenever we have traveled together, we always go in knowing we are not set on following the same schedule all day long, but we can meet up at certain points to enjoy something together. It has worked very well for us!

With our food situation figured out for the moment, we were ready to enjoy the Festival of Fantasy Parade! I think we never got around to seeing this when we were last in the parks in 2020, so it was almost like something brand new for the kids, particularly DD!

IMG_6203 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6206 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6210 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6216 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6222 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

None of us caught a photo of it, but Elsa did spot DD in her Elsa dress and gave her a bow and a wave, which DD was very excited about!

IMG_6226 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6227 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6228 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6231 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6232 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6236 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6241 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6248 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6255 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6257 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6259 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6265 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6272 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6273 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6275 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6280 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6283 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6288 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6295 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6298 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6300 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6305 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6313 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6320 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6334 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6337 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

After the parade, we headed up through the Castle to get to Fantasyland.

IMG_6344 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6347 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

At Friar’s Nook, we had ordered a hot dog for DS, mac & cheese for DD, a hot dog for DH & I to share, but the real reason we had chosen this place was for the bacon mac & cheese tots! The seating area there is very small, so we had to stalk an empty table as people were leaving, but DH and DD managed to grab one right as DS and I were picking up our order.

IMG_0172 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

It was really good! The only downside was that it got cold a little quickly since we were eating outside and it was still very chilly outside. But it was actually even better than what we had planned on getting at Casey’s in mine & DH’s opinion, so we enjoyed this meal a lot.

After lunch, we were heading to Adventureland to use our Pirate’s LL, but we stopped for a popcorn refill since the kids had gotten it in their heads and I hadn’t been able to deliver. The CM at the popcorn cart called DD Queen Elsa, and even gave her her own little cup of popcorn in addition to the bucket refill!

IMG_6350 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0173 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6351 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Next we used our Pirates of the Caribbean LL, and booked one for the Tomorrowland Speedway. I believe I had booked this for everyone, but our family was still busy doing something else so the 4 of us rode alone.

IMG_6361 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6371 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6375 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6378 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We all wanted to do the Enchanted Tiki Room together as a group. So while the 4 of them used their Pirates LL, we stopped at Aloha Isle. Apparently we hadn’t eaten enough yet!! Actually, we love pineapple treats, and hadn’t had any yet, so we weren’t about to let our trip end without getting some, so full stomachs be darned! I did have to scale back, because I wanted to try SO many items with my snack money, including the Tropical Serenade, but it was just too much all at once. So instead we got a Dole Whip Float and a Pineapple Upside Down Cake to share.

IMG_6382 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6386 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6389 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We enjoyed our treats at the Tiki Room exit. DS was the only one who didn’t join in on the snacking because he doesn’t like pineapple, but the rest of us love it! DD was not as excited about the Float aspect, but liked the soft serve on top. We had gone with the pineapple/vanilla swirl for both items.

IMG_6391 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6392 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Once we finished up, the rest of the group had finished their ride on Pirates, and we all went to do the Tiki Room together!

IMG_6411 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6412 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6396 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6398 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6405 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6407 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6408 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6413 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Next, we split up again because they had stuff they wanted to do in Fantasyland, but we were headed to Tomorrowland to use our Tomorrowland Speedway LL.

IMG_6415 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We stopped at the Purple Wall for DD to take some photos.

IMG_6419 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0179 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6424 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6426 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

As we were getting in line, it was nearing time to check in for our flight the next day. I was so worried about having to do it while ON the ride, but for once I was glad the LL line wasn’t moving incredibly fast so that our time came up while we were still in line. I checked myself in, DH checked in himself and DS, but my parents were responsible for checking in DD since she was on their reservation. We booked a LL for that night after our break for Big Thunder Mountain.

Then I got a call from my sister that they couldn’t check in because the Southwest app wanted DN’s passport number and he doesn’t have one, but it wouldn’t let them move past the screen. They said they were going to keep trying, and we proceeded onto the ride. DD and I were together, and DH and DS were behind us.

IMG_0180 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0183 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0186 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6427 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6429 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6432 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6435 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6437 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6439 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6441 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I know you are not supposed to text & drive, but luckily I was just the passenger (well, and I had to push down on the gas pedal), so I texted my dad to see if they had gotten checked in, and he said no. So I got onto the mobile site instead of the app to see if I could figure it out for them, and was able to check in everyone but my sister. It said she had to check in at the counter since she had a lap baby. Very weird, because it didn’t make her do that when checking in for our flight to Orlando, but at least I was able to get past the screen where it wanted DN’s passport info to complete the check in for my parents and DD. So I texted them the update and they were relieved, but by then it had been quite awhile since our 24 hour mark, so they were far back in the B boarding group.

Next, we went over to do Carousel of Progress, because our whole family loves it, so it’s a must do for us!

IMG_0188 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0189 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6445 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6446 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6447 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6448 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6449 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6450 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6453 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

After the show was over, we left MK and walked back to Bay Lake Tower for a break. But instead of going straight to BLT, we walked through the Contemporary to buy some stuff from the gift shop. DD ended up picking out a set of 4 Minnie Mouse themed earrings and I bought the 50th zip up hoodie. She and I took the Skybridge back to the room to rest.

IMG_0199 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0200 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6455 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6460 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We were able to book a Haunted Mansion LL for 8:20 pm, and did a mobile order for Pecos Bill’s for when we got back in the park for dinner. None of us slept, but it was nice just to rest. DD and I laid in our bed and watched TV while DH and DS went walking around to do some Pokemon openings for his channel. They went up to the top of the Contemporary to record and take photos.

IMG_6463 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6465 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6466 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6473 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6475 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_9459 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

A fun but busy day - I can understand you were all ready for a break. Great pictures of the parade! I bet your DD was thrilled to get the bow from Elsa. Very exciting for a girl her age. I hate the whole check in drama. Sometimes the 24 hour mark comes at the most inopportune time. I'm sure it was a relief to figure out a work around. Hope your MK evening is a good one!

It seems like $100 for the BBB package was money well spent! As adorable as all of her pictures are, my favorite is one of the reveal pictures where you can see her brother's reaction as well. So precious :)

A fun but busy day - I can understand you were all ready for a break. Great pictures of the parade! I bet your DD was thrilled to get the bow from Elsa. Very exciting for a girl her age. I hate the whole check in drama. Sometimes the 24 hour mark comes at the most inopportune time. I'm sure it was a relief to figure out a work around. Hope your MK evening is a good one!
It had been too long since we had seen the parade, so it was great to get to experience it again this trip. Totally worth it for the acknowledgment from Elsa!!

That is so true for the 24 hour check in, you really have to plan your day around it. On our upcoming cruise, it will be the first time we are flying in and out of Florida instead of driving ourselves, so we have bought the early bird check in for the first time. After this disaster, I wasn't sure that I trusted my family members to do it for us. :rotfl2:
It seems like $100 for the BBB package was money well spent! As adorable as all of her pictures are, my favorite is one of the reveal pictures where you can see her brother's reaction as well. So precious :)
It definitely was! I absolutely loved getting to experience this with her, and I think she was the perfect age for it!

That is my favorite too, he was so endlessly patient with the whole experience even though it was for his sister and he was forced to tag along.

It was around 6 pm when we headed back to MK. It was going to be colder now that the sun was down, so even though DD wanted to keep her Elsa dress on, I told her she would definitely need her heavier sweatshirt on, so no one would really be able to see it. She finally conceded and decided to leave the princess dress behind and trade her leggings for some jeans, but still kept in her hair pieces and face jewel, and we touched up her makeup before heading back.

The first thing we did was head over to Big Thunder Mountain to use our LL.

IMG_0201 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0202 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0204 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Then it was time to check in for our mobile order at Pecos Bills. We had gotten the kids mac & cheese meals, while DH and I had decided to get the chicken fajitas platter to share along with some chips & queso. DH does not like beans, so we had subbed the beans for double rice. I took the kids to get settled at a table while DH picked up the food. When he came back to the table, he had TWO chicken fajita platters, one with beans and one with double rice. He said they had given him a platter with beans instead of the extra rice, and when he pointed it out, instead of taking it back and giving him the right one, they just gave him a second platter! So we suddenly had tons of food to go around.

IMG_0206 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

After dinner, we took the kids to the Frontierland Shooting Gallery which was on Free Play mode. While they did that, I booked us a Small World that we could use right away.

IMG_9462 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6481 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_9463 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We went over to Fantasyland to use our Small World LL, but how can you not get photos of those beautiful Tangled Lanterns!

As soon as we had tapped in for Small World, we were able to book one for Buzz Lightyear at 8:35, and modified our Haunted Mansion LL for later because we wanted to attempt 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. Our strategy was to hop into line a little bit before Enchantment so that hopefully, most people would be packed on Main Street before and during the show and maybe the wait wouldn’t be too long. We stopped for the restroom first on the way over because the line was posted at 1 hour, but DH and DS finished first and got some Photopass pics while waiting for me and DD to finish.

We explained to the kids before getting in line that while we hoped it wouldn't take a full hour to get on 7DMT, it could take that long. They were willing to wait because so far, we had done everything we wanted to do in MK and waiting longer for something they really wanted to do was ok by that point in the trip.

IMG_0210 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

However, the line was moving FAST! We got in line at exactly 8 pm, started hearing the booms of the fireworks starting at 8:15, and were at the loading rows at 8:23. That meant…we’d get to see the fireworks from the ride!!!

When we got around that first curve and the fireworks became visible, I can’t even tell you what a beautiful sight that was! Definitely made a ride that DH and I don’t think is worth the hype very worth it at that moment on that night!

The fireworks were still going off when we exited the ride, so we stepped off to the side to finish watching. What a way to see them!

Truly a magical moment having this view!

IMG_0217 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0221 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Definitely timed that one perfectly!!

Next we went over to use our Buzz Lightyear LL.

I really wanted another ride on the PeopleMover, so we hopped on that after just before 9 pm.

IMG_0226 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6563 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6566 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6567 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6574 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We had done all of the rides by then, so we decided to go over to do Monsters Inc Laugh Floor at 9:15 pm.

IMG_6576 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0228 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6580 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6581 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6583 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6585 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The last thing we went to do was use our last LL for Haunted Mansion. We made one more stop at Rapunzel’s tower on the way.

IMG_6592 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6593 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6596 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6604 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0232 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Then on to Haunted Mansion to cap off the night.

IMG_6614 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6619 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6623 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6627 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

As much as we didn’t want to leave, we were tired! And we had done literally everything we had wanted and then some! We didn’t hurry out though, and passed through the shops on Main Street and soaked up the atmosphere.

IMG_6644 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

And I made the kids suck it up for one last Photopass photographer.

To cap off an amazing day, an amazing night, and a simply magical trip, Mickey Mouse was out on the train station waving goodbye to us as we left! :sad:

IMG_6650 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_6651 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

He heard me say, “See ya real soon, Mickey!” and blew us a kiss.

IMG_0241 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0245 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

The kids were in tears walking back to the resort that night. We were all so sad that our park time was over! After years of waiting to get back to WDW when things were more “normal” and finally getting back, we were all having big feelings about leaving.

I don’t think the rest of the family made it back to MK that night. I know my parents had spent the evening at AK so that they could do standby at Flight of Passage (I think I forgot to mention they had tried to do this another night of the trip and accidentally gotten in line for Nav’i River Journey and waited over an hour for it not realizing they were in the wrong line!), because it was the last thing they really wanted to do. I think they ended up waiting like an hour and 20 min, but they felt like it was worth it!

Last edited:
Day 8: Saturday January 28th

All of a sudden, our trip had come to an end and it was time to go home! Womp womp.

Since our flight was later in the afternoon, we had time to do all of our packing that morning. I also had set up our stroller return for this morning, so at 9:30 am I received a text from Orlando Stroller Rentals to meet downstairs and DS helped me do that by bringing the other stroller with me. We finished getting everything together around 10 am and still had time until checkout so we walked over to the Contemporary to take a last look through the shops.

IMG_9470 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

At home, we have the Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion board games, and DD spotted this one so we took a pic to remember to look for it online later.

IMG_0263 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

DS wanted to channel his inner Avenger.

IMG_0264 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0265 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0266 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

I spent the rest of my snack gift card on the 50th Anniversary fleece blanket, much to DH’s chagrin. He kept insisting we didn’t need another blanket in our house. And while that is probably true, I still maintain it was a worthy purchase! It’s a super soft and comfortable blanket, not to mention it’s very pretty!

We headed outside to take some photos with the Mickey statue.

IMG_0269 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0270 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0273 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0275 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

Another couple walking around saw the kids taking a photo of me & DH, and they offered to take one of all of us.

IMG_0279 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0280 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

One more Disney cartwheel for the road.

IMG_0286 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

My sister had gone back up to the room first, and she called me to say the app said we were already checked out and she couldn’t get back in. I stopped at the desk once we made it back over, and the CM at the desk said we should have one more entry. When the rest of us got up there, my MagicBand worked fine to get in. I’m not sure why hers didn’t.

A few more balcony photos before leaving…

IMG_9479 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0290 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We gathered up our stuff and headed down to the lobby to wait on our ride to the airport.

IMG_9480 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We were all using Sunshine Flyer this time, and I had booked it when they were running a special around Labor Day for Kids Ride Free, so it was a good price for 4 of us. Our pickup time was 11:20 am, but the bus arrived about 10 minutes late.

IMG_9482 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We were able to sit in twos around the bus.

IMG_0293 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0294 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0295 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We had one more resort to pick up from, and we arrived at MCO at 12:20 pm. The Southwest check-in at the airport was a NIGHT. MARE. The line to check in bags just went on and on and on and snaked around several corners. It was probably at least 30 minutes long, and it led to a lot of big emotions because DS was pushing DN in the stroller, and somehow I ended up left in the middle with all 3 kids and all of the carry-ons while the rest of the adults got in line. I was frantically trying to tell DH there is no way I can manage all of this by myself, and then realized that my sister needed the baby with her anyway because she had to do her whole check-in in person at the counter. So once the line made it to where they caught up to where I’d be standing, they took DN and more of the bags so that it was just me, DS and DD with one carry on each plus our backpacks. My frantic emotions made the kids emotional and they were getting teary eyed and anxious, so it took a minute to calm them down and reassure them. DH said the 3 of us should go through security, but that was another mess since we had all booked flights separately so I only had my own boarding pass on my phone, I didn’t have the kids’. Eventually I was able to get the digital boarding passes for the kids and we got in the 20 minute security line.

I have to say, the kids really impressed me. They were so good through security and followed directions perfectly, and did not cause me any extra stress through the process. I did have to answer the question over and over of “What happens if no one else makes the flight?” and reassure them that more flights are always available and everyone will get home eventually!

We were short on time before boarding would start, but I knew the kids would need food since it was well past lunch time. Luckily the service at McDonald’s was super quick, so I was able to get the 3 of us something to eat which was great…except that it was, ya know, McDonald’s. :rotfl: We got to the gate and had time to eat. I was keeping in touch with DH via text and he told me that he had separated from my parents and sister at security because they went one at a time up to the TSA agent to have their IDs and boarding passes checked instead of all going together since they were traveling together, so other groups were getting between them and he didn’t want to get stuck further back. He was able to get some food too on the way to the gate, and he even used mobile order at McDonald’s so it went even quicker. I hadn’t seen the sign for mobile ordering until after I had placed mine at the counter.

The rest of the family made it to the gate literally as they were getting groups together to line up for boarding. I had an A group so I got on first. Since DD was with my parents at booking and they’d gotten held up trying to do online check in the day before, they were further back in the Bs, so we did a teensy bit of fudging and had them all get on with family boarding. My mom went with DH and our kids, and my sister, dad, and DN went together. We were able to get rows together at the back of the plane and finally I could breathe!

IMG_0297 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0298 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

IMG_0299 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

We landed on time in New Orleans around 3:30 pm. Dad & DH had to Uber back to my grandmother’s house to pick up our vehicles and come back to pick the rest of us up. The rest of the family is so lucky to only be about 20 minutes from the airport, while we had a 2 hour drive ahead of us before we got home at 7 pm. It had been a long day! But as much as I hated to give up an extra park day by leaving on Saturday instead of Sunday, it was actually really nice to have that day home to unpack, unwind, and it gave DS plenty of time to finish the rest of his school work and get himself ready for returning on Monday. Plus, DD was very excited to have some snuggle time with our cat Millie!

IMG_0303 by disneymom1024, on Flickr

And that was it! The end of an incredible trip!

Last edited:
JANUARY 2023 WRAP-UP

CROWDS: This was the best we have experience with crowds in a long time! And I think DH and I are also better at navigating the crowds than we give ourselves credit for, and having a good plan is so important! It definitely was not empty by any means, but with utilizing early entry most days, the extended evening hours at Epcot, and lots of research before our trip with Touring Plans’ strategies, we did a pretty good job getting to do everything we wanted to do. Unfortunately, I think this has spoiled us a bit lol Hopefully we can go back at this time of year again one day!

WEATHER: Aside from that one night of rain that derailed our nighttime plans, the weather was great. Nice and warm but not “dripping in sweat” hot during the first few days, and even when the cool front came through, we were comfortable in layers. It was really great after a couple of trips to Central Florida sweating our butts off!

RESORT: While the resort and unit itself wasn’t anything spectacular, the view we got from making our room request (we utilized the free resort room request through Touring Plans, and had used their room view photos to help us choose), and the close proximity to MK and monorail access to Epcot were incredible! Definitely made it so nice just to be able to get back to our room in 10 minutes when the lines for the monorail and ferry were insanely long at the end of the night! I’d love to stay at BLT again, but with how much time we spent at Epcot this trip, we are thinking maybe a stay at Boardwalk or Beach Club might be on our radar for next time. Staying deluxe and having access to the extended evening hours was also really great & beneficial!

SPECIAL EXPERIENCES: The kids both loved their individual experiences that they were able to do. DS had a lot of fun building his Droid, and really enjoyed having it as a souvenir to bring home as well! DD was the perfect age for BBB, and it was completely worth the cost & time! The look on her face when she saw her makeover was just amazing for me and DH to see! Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue continues to be a family favorite! And while I wish Garden Grill breakfast had been back, it was still nice to do the character breakfast at Crystal Palace. DN was SO good for his 1st haircut, and what a magical moment that was for my sister! It’s an iconic experience! I’m so glad we were able to get all of the reservations we wanted and that it all worked out with our plans.

GENIE+: I’m still not a fan, compared to the previous FP+ system, and having to pay per person and wait till the morning-of to find out pricing, and waking up to make selections at 7 am, and feeling like we were constantly on the app refreshing…it worked better for us than I had anticipated. The bonus day definitely helped and allowed us to use the Stacking strategy, and on the days we purchased it, the Churning strategy worked better for us. That also could have been because the crowds were not overwhelming, but I don’t know. I imagine it would be tough to get as many LLs in a day as we did if you are there a very busy time of year.

Overall, this trip was really amazing, and we cannot WAIT to go back! We are hoping maybe a longer stay during the summer when we don’t have to worry about getting the kids back to school, and also being able to have more park days so we can take afternoon breaks to manage with the weather, will be a good option. I do wish we would have been able to spend more time all as a group, but unfortunately they just moved a little slower than us in the morning and we also didn’t want to miss out on stuff we wanted to do because we were waiting on them. I think they understood and still had a good time! But I know the kids would have liked more time to ride things with their grandparents and baby cousin.

Anyway, thanks so much for sticking with this TR even though I know it took me a LONG time to get it all posted, especially if you are a "repeat visitor." Part of the pos-Disney depression cycle is sharing it with friends to make it a little easier to get by until the next trip! In just a few weeks now, we are headed off to the Bahamas & Castaway Cay for our 3rd DCL vacation, and it is a Double Dip so to say we are excited is an understatement! Thanks for following along, and I hope you'll join us on our next adventure.

Until then, see ya real soon!

Loved this TR! I've been following yours for many years and have watched your Disney kids growing up :-) My favorite park at night is definitely MK. So pretty with everything lit up. Your DD still looked like a princess even without the dress. You definitely got your money's worth with BBB. Wow - fireworks on 7DMT. How awesome! Nice it happened without the stress of trying to time it just right. I've never seen the fireworks from behind the castle. Mickey waving goodbye - how perfect is that? What an ending to your trip! The airport scene sounds awful. I wouldn't expect that at that time of day. Thanks for sharing your story and all the wonderful pictures. Until next time!

Thanks for another great trip report. You always have such great ideas. I actually am using your Hawaii report for my research into our trip next summer. DD and I are staying at the CR for our girls trip in Nov and your ability to hop back in makes me excited to do later hours (DH never wants to stay up late).
What is the difference in stacking vs churning? Is churning you keep looking for a different time? I really dislike this system because I don't want to be on my phone all day on vacation. Ugh.
Your DD's BBB pics were so cute. I feel like with COVID we missed that window of time with my DD (she is now more your son's age). Oh well, maybe we will find the store that I keep hearing mentioned where you can just get pixie dusted.
Enjoy your cruise

I loved reading your entire trip report - it sounded like a fantastic trip! I know I’ve read past reports of yours as well - I was happy to see a familiar face around here. :goodvibes

Your room at BLT had an amazing view (even if not on the 10th floor). I’ve always put in room requests but never used Touring Plans room request feature - it seems it worked well for you!

I haven’t been to Disney World since 2016, so I really appreciated all your detail about Genie+ and other updates.

We’re currently planning a 2024 trip and this is the first time I’ll be traveling with kids. Would you be willing to help with the following questions?

1) We’re going to rent a double stroller (we don’t normally need one, but it will be very helpful with a one and five-year-old at Disney World) so I appreciate your review of Orlando Stroller Rental. Is it challenging to arrange drop off and pick up at the resort, or would I be better off choosing the airport pick-up option?

2) I LOVED reading about your daughter’s experience at BBB and I’d love to try it with our oldest daughter (she’ll be just shy of six when we visit). I was worried about the two person guest limit as I’d hate for my husband to miss out as we’re a family of four, but it looks like you, your husband, and son were all able to be there during the makeover? Should I aim for one of the first appointments of the day to make this possible?
(Also, I must add that my daughter saw the pictures of your daughter’s BBB appointment and LOVED her hairstyle choice - so we may have that in our future!)

Thank you for the wonderful trip report and any help you could give me. Traveling with small children is a whole new ballgame!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter