Magic Key Renewals Start 8/18

This was us…. We were stuck with the Enchant Key because by the time we knew we were relocating to SC, they’d stopped selling Believe and Dream. So we ended up having to to also buy a 3 day ticket this summer, because everyone came to visit and we were blocked out this summer. We can’t renew until January, but I’m really hoping by then we can upgrade.

I really don’t know what we’ll do if we can’t, because we already have family who have big plans to do Disneyland next summer for multiple days, and I really can’t stomach buying another Enchant pass and multi day tickets next summer.

We are also in the same boat, except our Enchant Keys don’t expire until March. I gave birth the day after they first started selling Keys and wasn’t ready to commit to using the Keys when we had a newborn. We made our first trips back to the parks after we had the baby in October for OBB and had planned on going at the beginning of December and purchasing Believe Keys (because the Dream keys were gone). But by the time our trip came around, the Believe Keys were gone, as well. So we just bought day tickets in December hoping the Dream or Believe would become available next year after the holidays. March came around and we finally gave in and bought Enchant Keys.

Disney has missed out on a LOT of money from our family in the last year, and only part of it was from having a baby. We sent our 15 year old to Disneyland with her friends several times this summer on day tickets. We want to go next summer and, if we’re unable to upgrade our passes in March to a higher tier pass, I think this will be the end of the line for us. I’m not going to say we won’t return to DLR, but we will cut back on the number of visits/tickets we purchase substantially because we will not be renewing at the Enchant level. I guess we will see what happens come end-of-February when our renewal window opens.

I’m still not seeing how Disney is losing money off of people converting from tickets to Key passes during the summer time. My point is that the upgrade option captures people who would not normally return to the parks again for an entire year if the option to upgrade is not there. Disney gets extra money out of these people when they upgrade their tickets and when they return and spend more money in the parks.
I'm not going to argue this based on what I think, even if I think you're mistaken. Disney disagrees with your assessment.

Disney believes that they can make more revenue by charging for tickets during the summer and having those same guests buy Enchant Keys or Imagine Keys for the rest of the year. Disney does not believe that they can make more money buy letting people upgrade into blocked-out passes - if they did, they would allow people to do it.

My educated guess is that Disney believes, more accurately, that there is a type of guest who will buy an Enchant or Imagine Key on their own, and buy tickets for any summer (or Christmas week) visits. And that they can make more revenue by doing that.

You're free to disagree with them, but they're the ones whose job it is to figure out how to maximize revenue at the parks, and, financially speaking, this is clearly what they think.

If Disney looked at it from your perspective and thought they were somehow not generating any income or even losing money from it, they would have closed this “loophole” a long time ago, because Disney gives NOTHING away for free.
This isn't a good argument. They know this now, hence why they stopped allowing it. Just because they used to do something and didn't stop it earlier doesn't mean they have to keep doing it.

There are plenty of other reasons that would explain why they didn't stop it earlier. Passes were cheaper - fewer people were upgrading into lower-tier passes, so it didn't have as much of an impact. And Disney's shown a long history of not doing something if it comes with a tech cost, which that might have at the time - it was trivial to make that change this summer, since they could just cease all passes.

I mean, honestly, nobody has been able to upgrade a summer ticket since 2019. Things have changed a lot since then.

The fact is that Disney is getting MORE money from people who visit during the summer and then convert to Keyholders.
You keep saying "fact", but there's no public evidence of any of this. Unless you've seen Disney's numbers, you can't say this with certainty. And, again, their actions indicate that they disagree with this assessment.

If anything, I feel like you're making a personal/emotional argument against what is more accurately a math problem.

And, again, I'm sympathetic to the people whose plans got messed up by this, and I understand why people are disappointed.

But Disney has absolutely no obligation to continue letting people take advantage of what everyone recognized as a giant loophole - and nearly everyone involved clearly believed that that's what this was.

If you want to argue that Disney can financially benefit by letting people upgrade to blocked-out passes, that's one to take to Disney. I genuinely don't believe that many folks here would agree with you about that.

I think most folks here are more disappointed by how much the loss of that loophole is going to cost them personally. Which, to put a fine point on it, means more revenue for Disney.

Last edited:
I'm not going to argue this based on what I think, even if I think you're mistaken. Disney disagrees with your assessment.

Disney believes that they can make more revenue by charging for tickets during the summer and having those same guests buy Enchant Keys or Imagine Keys for the rest of the year. Disney does not believe that they can make more money buy letting people upgrade into blocked-out passes - if they did, they would allow people to do it.

My educated guess is that Disney believes, more accurately, that there is a type of guest who will buy an Enchant or Imagine Key on their own, and buy tickets for any summer (or Christmas week) visits. And that they can make more revenue by doing that.

You're free to disagree with them, but they're the ones whose job it is to figure out how to maximize revenue at the parks, and, financially speaking, this is clearly what they think.

This isn't a good argument. They know this now, hence why they stopped allowing it. Just because they used to do something and didn't stop it earlier doesn't mean they have to keep doing it.

There are plenty of other reasons that would explain why they didn't stop it earlier. Passes were cheaper - fewer people were upgrading into lower-tier passes, so it didn't have as much of an impact. And Disney's shown a long history of not doing something if it comes with a tech cost, which that might have at the time - it was trivial to make that change this summer, since they could just cease all passes.

I mean, honestly, nobody has been able to upgrade a summer ticket since 2019. Things have changed a lot since then.

You keep saying "fact", but there's no public evidence of any of this. Unless you've seen Disney's numbers, you can't say this with certainty. And, again, their actions indicate that they disagree with this assessment.

If anything, I feel like you're making a personal/emotional argument against what is more accurately a math problem.

And, again, I'm sympathetic to the people whose plans got messed up by this, and I understand why people are disappointed.

But Disney has absolutely no obligation to continue letting people take advantage of what everyone recognized as a giant loophole - and nearly everyone involved clearly believed that that's what this was.

If you want to argue that Disney can financially benefit by letting people upgrade to blocked-out passes, that's one to take to Disney. I genuinely don't believe that many folks here would agree with you about that.

I think most folks here are more disappointed by how much the loss of that loophole is going to cost them personally. Which, to put a fine point on it, means more revenue for Disney.

A large portion of my job is converting people from one-time, irregular spenders into regular spenders within my organization, so I’m probably coming from a different perspective than you. I’m saying it is a fact that Disney has had and known about this loophole for decades, and they’ve known whether or not it makes them money for likely just as long of a time. It is a fact that if they were losing money, it would have been gone a long time ago. Disney is a corporation with shareholders to answer to. They’re not giving anything away for free and they certainly aren’t going to continue to keep a loophole that is costing them money.

Disney didn’t have APs or Keys for sale, and no APs or Keys were valid last summer, so they wouldn’t have had any data to compare it to besides summer of 2019 and before, which we all know was a completely different world from now. Remember no one can purchase or upgrade to any passes right now. If they stopped selling passes just because they don’t want people to upgrade to the lower tiered passes, why aren’t higher tiered passes available for purchase? Any speculation on the reason Disney stopped selling passes is just that. Neither of us knows why Disney pulled all passes for sale in June. We are both purely speculating on the reasoning and making assumptions based on that. Since neither of us can actually see Disney’s numbers and they haven’t actually given a reason as to why they stopped selling Keys, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:

Upgrading day tickets to passes is one thing…. Upgrading an existing AP to a higher tier AP is something different.

Based on the completely open reservation calendar for day tickets this summer, I think it’s a pretty reasonable estimate that they didn’t have that many blocked out AP holders buy day tickets. 🤷‍♀️

I am seriously concerned that our MK days are over. So much reporting on social media that Disney is denying a new Magic Key for a 3-year-old child unless they turned 3 within the last 60 days. They are required birth certificates and denying anyone who doesn’t fit those parameters. I’m not renewing my older son and I if they won’t let him get one too.

He’s been so sad because I’ve been leaving him home for months while I go with my older one. I felt like it was temporary because Disney always grandfathered in a child who turned 3 that year but now it looks like they just won’t.

Reports of Disney telling people sorry, they can either buy day tickets for their 3 years old or get a babysitter and leave them at home (???).

This policy makes zero sense to me and makes me so sad and even further soured on Disney. DL used to be my happy place, I was a Disney “cheerleader” … and now the park experience is so subpar and they just. don’t. care. anymore. 🤷‍♀️

Disney didn’t have APs or Keys for sale, and no APs or Keys were valid last summer, so they wouldn’t have had any data to compare it to besides summer of 2019 and before, which we all know was a completely different world from now. Remember no one can purchase or upgrade to any passes right now. If they stopped selling passes just because they don’t want people to upgrade to the lower tiered passes, why aren’t higher tiered passes available for purchase? Any speculation on the reason Disney stopped selling passes is just that. Neither of us knows why Disney pulled all passes for sale in June. We are both purely speculating on the reasoning and making assumptions based on that. Since neither of us can actually see Disney’s numbers and they haven’t actually given a reason as to why they stopped selling Keys, we will just have to agree to disagree.
Most of these aren't relevant to the point I was making. At the same time, we know the answers to some of them.

The only passes they pulled in May were the Imagine Key and the Enchant Key. The other ones were already off-sale. Both of those passes were days away from entering their blockout season when they were pulled. (Some people offered a vague dissembling about the lawsuit, but that was disproved when they allowed people to renew them - that wouldn't have happened if they were affected by the lawsuit.)

Why were the higher tier passes off-sale? The Dream Key was never coming back because of the lawsuit. If Disney felt like they could make more revenue by bringing back the Believe Key this summer, they absolutely would have. (And I would fully expect that someone would be able to upgrade to it if they did.)

Everything DLR has done this year says that they're not really interested in expanding the AP program in any meaningful way.

Case in point: Disney offered literally zero incentives for renewing. And that's new. (EDIT: there is the fancy magnet.)

I expected the loss of the renewal discount. Other parks have done that in recent years, instead switching to non-revenue incentives like free Express Passes and Bring-a-Friend tickets. But Disney didn't offer that, either. And they're not even giving people 30-days afterward to renew.

All they're offering right now is a massive disincentive: loss of the pass.

Knowing that, it's hard to comprehend what we were arguing about. They clearly do not believe (at present) that they can increase revenue by expanding the AP program, and I don't know how much more loudly they can say it.

Last edited:

Most of these aren't relevant to the point I was making. At the same time, we know the answers to some of them.

The only passes they pulled in May were the Imagine Key and the Enchant Key. The other ones were already off-sale. Both of those passes were days away from entering their blockout season when they were pulled. (Some people offered a vague dissembling about the lawsuit, but that was disproved when they allowed people to renew them - that wouldn't have happened if they were affected by the lawsuit.)

Why were the higher tier passes off-sale? The Dream Key was never coming back because of the lawsuit. If Disney felt like they could make more revenue by bringing back the Believe Key this summer, they absolutely would have. (And I would fully expect that someone would be able to upgrade to it if they did.)

Everything DLR has done this year says that they're not really interested in expanding the AP program in any meaningful way.

Case in point: Disney offered literally zero incentives for renewing. And that's new.

I expected the loss of the renewal discount. Other parks have done that in recent years, instead switching to non-revenue incentives like free Express Passes and Bring-a-Friend tickets. But Disney didn't offer that, either. And they're not even giving people 30-days afterward to renew.

Knowing that, it's hard to comprehend what we were arguing about. They clearly do not believe (at present) that they can increase revenue by expanding the AP program, and I don't know how much more loudly they can say it.
The renewal discount went away before the Covid closure.

Case in point: Disney offered literally zero incentives for renewing. And that's new. (EDIT: there is the fancy magnet.)

1) The renewal discount was long gone before the COViD closure. The discount has been long gone. And they’ve never offered a 30 day window after expiration to renew. But they did offer more to all of their passes in the form of lPhotopass, Genie+ discounts, and parking discounts. Seeing that you can only renew passes and can’t buy a new one, those sure do feel like an incentive to renew to me.

2) They pulled the two remaining passes so nothing was on sale for the summer. If this was all about closing the loophole for lower passes, why not allow people to purchase higher level passes that are not blocked out right now? There’s no reason not to. They are missing out on the spontaneous buy of people upgrading their passes before they can’t put the value of their ticket toward them.

3) I said nothing about expanding the program. I am simply talking about allowing people to purchase passes at the levels they are offering now (or even before). If they felt like they have nothing to lose in the AP/Key program, why even bother letting people renew? If this is about summer lower level blackouts, why not let people purchase the upper-level passes?

There are clearly other things at play here other than the lawsuit and the summer looohole.

1) The renewal discount was long gone before the COViD closure. The discount has been long gone. And they’ve never offered a 30 day window after expiration to renew. But they did offer more to all of their passes in the form of lPhotopass, Genie+ discounts, and parking discounts. Seeing that you can only renew passes and can’t buy a new one, those sure do feel like an incentive to renew to me.

2) They pulled the two remaining passes so nothing was on sale for the summer. If this was all about closing the loophole for lower passes, why not allow people to purchase higher level passes that are not blocked out right now? There’s no reason not to. They are missing out on the spontaneous buy of people upgrading their passes before they can’t put the value of their ticket toward them.

3) I said nothing about expanding the program. I am simply talking about allowing people to purchase passes at the levels they are offering now (or even before). If they felt like they have nothing to lose in the AP/Key program, why even bother letting people renew? If this is about summer lower level blackouts, why not let people purchase the upper-level passes?
1) Granted.

2) They didn't allow people to buy Believe Keys in July for the same reason they didn't allow people to buy Believe Keys in April. Pulling Imagine and Enchant was about closing the loophole - leaving Believe off-sale was completely unrelated. They clearly had a reason to keep Believe off-sale.

The easy answer there: they don't want to expand the number of AP guests during the summer (or holiday season). They feel like they have enough already. They can sell Enchant Keys and Imagine Keys at a discount to cover the times that people aren't as likely to buy tickets. They want APs during the "lower" months, they don't really want as many during the busier times.

Again: if they thought they could generate revenue through the "spontaneous buy of people upgrading" like you think they could, they would have done it. Everything they're doing says that they disagree with your assessment.

If they're wrong - it's good news for everyone here - they'll have to offer more incentives to get people back to the parks when attendance declines.

3) Allowing someone to upgrade from a $400 ticket to a $699 pass is an expansion of the program. By your own admission - that's capturing someone into the program who might not have otherwise paid full price to join.

There are clearly other things at play here other than the lawsuit and the summer looohole.
If you're right, and there's "no reason" for this - speculate a little. Why didn't they offer Believe Keys this summer - why didn't they want people to upgrade to low-tier APs? What other things are in play?

1) Granted.

2) They didn't allow people to buy Believe Keys in July for the same reason they didn't allow people to buy Believe Keys in April. Pulling Imagine and Enchant was about closing the loophole - leaving Believe off-sale was completely unrelated. They clearly had a reason to keep Believe off-sale.

The easy answer there: they don't want to expand the number of AP guests during the summer (or holiday season). They feel like they have enough already. They can sell Enchant Keys and Imagine Keys at a discount to cover the times that people aren't as likely to buy tickets. They want APs during the "lower" months, they don't really want as many during the busier times.

Again: if they thought they could generate revenue through the "spontaneous buy of people upgrading" like you think they could, they would have done it. Everything they're doing says that they disagree with your assessment.

If they're wrong - it's good news for everyone here - they'll have to offer more incentives to get people back to the parks when attendance declines.

3) Allowing someone to upgrade from a $400 ticket to a $699 pass is an expansion of the program. By your own admission - that's capturing someone into the program who might not have otherwise paid full price to join.

We’re coming from two different perspectives here and are not going to agree. So agree to disagree.

I agree that Disney feels zero need to expand the AP program. If anything, they're likely trying to decrease it to have a more "favorable" mix of park attendance. Going forward, I don't see Disney offering any incentives to keep the program going. With a population of 20+ million people in the immediate area who view the parks as a local mall, the ability to purchase and renew alone WILL be all the incentive they need.

I agree that Disney feels zero need to expand the AP program. If anything, they're likely trying to decrease it to have a more "favorable" mix of park attendance. Going forward, I don't see Disney offering any incentives to keep the program going. With a population of 20+ million people in the immediate area who view the parks as a local mall, the ability to purchase and renew alone WILL be all the incentive they need.
I think the thing I'm most eager to see is whether they reopen MKs to the general public, and, if so, how soon.

I originally assumed they would do so sooner than later - I figured they were mainly trying to get past the summer blockouts in order to reopen Enchant and Imagine. (I still feel like they want as many of those as they can get.) And that's still a possibility.

But the way they're handling renewals gives me a little bit of pause - especially if they're being so restrictive to newly-3-year-olds. (60-days seems weirdly cruel, especially since they haven't sold any MKs since May 31st - almost 90 days ago.)

I'm wondering if Summer 2021 helped them realize how close they were to being able to run (mostly) off ticket-holders, and if this summer might have reiterated that information. (I'm curious if the So Cal Ticket deal helped or hurt revenue compared to APs.)

There's a small voice in my head that hopes they'll reopen all of the MK tiers, possibly as early as next week. There's also an argument that they could manage the program through pricing adjustments without having to keep them off-sale.

(But I also thought WDW would have opened their APs before now, too.)

Last edited:
I think the thing I'm most eager to see is whether they reopen MKs to the general public, and, if so, how soon.

I originally assumed they would do so sooner than later - I figured they were mainly trying to get past the summer blockouts in order to reopen Enchant and Imagine. (I still feel like they want as many of those as they can get.) And that's still a possibility.

But the way they're handling renewals gives me a little bit of pause - especially if they're being so restrictive to newly-3-year-olds. (60-days seems weirdly cruel, especially since they haven't sold any MKs since May 31st - almost 90 days ago.)

I'm wondering if Summer 2021 helped them realize how close they were to being able to run (mostly) off ticket-holders, and if this summer might have reiterated that information. (I'm curious if the So Cal Ticket deal helped or hurt revenue compared to APs.)

There's a small voice in my head that hopes they'll reopen all of the MK tiers, possibly as early as next week. There's also an argument that they could manage the program through pricing adjustments without having to keep them off-sale.

(But I also thought WDW would have opened their APs before now, too.)
I think the trend of AP sales will ebb and flow with the tide of the economy, which Disney is very aware of. It's really easy for passionate fans and naysayers to jump to either extremes. I believe that at the end of the day, Disneyland will always need AP holders and vice versa. It's the scale of the membership that need to be balanced with overall park experience and profit margin that I think Disney will constantly struggle with.

WRT to the 3-year-old not being able to renew,....my SoCal local friends would scold me for buying tickets for my 3 and 4 year old children. It is common knowledge that many locals do NOT pay for tickets for children under 5, as long as their child can get away with it in a stroller.

The answer may be in one of the many pages but I have been at the park for the last three days so I will ask. When does the new renewed pass start? I know that it should show up the day after our current pass expires but does it start that day or on the first visit?

The answer may be in one of the many pages but I have been at the park for the last three days so I will ask. When does the new renewed pass start? I know that it should show up the day after our current pass expires but does it start that day or on the first visit?
RENEWALS just extend your current pass expiration for one year.

NEW PURCHASE is the only one that needs to be activated. A NEW pass activates on the first day you use it.

The renewals start on the day after your current pass expires.

My Dream Key exp 9/6 and my Inspire Key starts 9/7 (even if I don't visit until later date)

WRT to the 3-year-old not being able to renew,....my SoCal local friends would scold me for buying tickets for my 3 and 4 year old children. It is common knowledge that many locals do NOT pay for tickets for children under 5, as long as their child can get away with it in a stroller.

Your "so cal friends" are awful people then. I don't know anyone who lied about their kids ages. Me and all my "so cal friends" began paying when our kids turned 3. It's a right of passage. We took our kids ON their third birthdays and bought their annual pass. The most annoying thing about that was them having a different expiration date than us.

Glad my parents taught me Integrity means to do the right thing even when no one is looking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter